HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Pre draft games........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pre draft games........
Date: April 14, 2014 06:41AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pre draft games........
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: April 14, 2014 10:18AM

I'd draft that lazy bum in a heartbeat!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: April 14, 2014 10:20AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd draft that lazy bum in a heartbeat!

So would I, but the key would be having a tough DC, along with leaders to keep Clowney in line and working hard.

Not so sure Miami has that, at present.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 14, 2014 11:36AM

but guys, we already have cam wake and vernon. that's too many good players on D. that's why we need to trade Dion Jordan for whatever anyone will give us, ASAP!

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 14, 2014 02:23PM

CLowney is impressive because he has the size and strength to stop the run... And has the same type of speed as Dion Jordan to run down field with TEs like Jordan did last year.... IF Jordan can put on a little size and a lot of strength he could be a better NFL player then Clowney IMO... Would you trade Clowney for Jordan? I am not sure I would....

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 14, 2014 02:41PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> CLowney is impressive because he has the size and
> strength to stop the run... And has the same type
> of speed as Dion Jordan to run down field with TEs
> like Jordan did last year.... IF Jordan can put on
> a little size and a lot of strength he could be a
> better NFL player then Clowney IMO... Would you
> trade Clowney for Jordan? I am not sure I
> would....

Without knowing the makeup of the two players mentally, or what level of heart or how great is their desire to be an elite player...based solely on their physical talents...I'd take Clowney over Jordan every day and twice on Sundays.

I think he's the best DE prospect I've seen since Bruce Smith, and Smith was the best DE I've ever seen unless you want to call Reggie White a DE, then Smith is #2.

Date: April 14, 2014 04:53PM

Yeah but Clowney definitely has character and commitment/heart questions about him, more so then Jordan coming out... Clowney is even more of a freak athlete then Jordan, which is saying a lot.... In 3 years who do u think it going to be the better player is what I meant by the question? I wouldn't bet against Jordan.. Jordan has a pretty high ceiling and was/is a much rawer prospect coming out of college then Clowney...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: April 14, 2014 04:59PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Yeah but Clowney definitely has character and
> commitment/heart questions about him, more so then
> Jordan coming out... Clowney is even more of a
> freak athlete then Jordan, which is saying a
> lot.... In 3 years who do u think it going to be
> the better player is what I meant by the question?
> I wouldn't bet against Jordan.. Jordan has a
> pretty high ceiling and was/is a much rawer
> prospect coming out of college then Clowney...

I don't know either of them so I can't say what type of people they are or what impact that might have on how I rank them.

Just based on physical skills...Clowney is better.

Jordan has similar speed and agility. Clowney already has the power aspect of playing a DE.

You could play Clowney at DE in a 4-3 or a 3-4. You can't do that with Jordan.

If Jordan adds 25 lbs he could be as good as Clowney.

If Clowney adds 25 lbs he's Reggie White.

Date: April 14, 2014 06:44PM

crowder was that a serious question, not trading jordan for clowney? clowney is one of the best D prospects in a generation, and dion jordan would probably go 12-14 in this years draft had he come out this year

Date: April 15, 2014 03:12AM

Berk- I don't think Clowney is going to live up to the hype... While he is an amazing athlete and prospect, I think he has underachiever and inconsistent written all over him... I think it is likely In 3 years Jordan is a better NFL player then Clowney... And yes I know that is a bold statement to make... And I could very well be wrong.. First Jordan has to step up his game after an iffy rookie year, and Clowney" the best defensive prospect in years" has to fall flat... Right or wrong that is the feeling I get... Also I think Clowney might have a tough time keeping healthy and on the field...

Nietzsche

Date: April 15, 2014 07:05AM

I think Clowney's floor is Dion Jordan and his celing is HOF, but we shall see....

Date: April 15, 2014 07:52AM

Look at Zach Thomas Vs Ray Lewis comes to mind.

Zach Thomas would be the first to tell you he is not a great athlete and had to scrape by for every tackle he got. Its about Heart , he put in the hours learning every teams weakness , he knew where they were going before they did.

if Clowney shows that kind of dedication he could become the best player of this era.

If he gets caught up in the hype, not unlike RGIII, starts to believe he doesn't have to put in the time , he will under achieve.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: April 15, 2014 08:05AM

In college, Clowney was such a freak he didnt have to work hard to succeed... In the NFL even with his size and speed, he is going to have to work hard....Also he is going to be going against greater talent, that will be tougher on his body, especially for a guy who isnt putting in the time he should be.... If I had a top 5 pick and he was there I wouldnt draft him... Last year I would have drafted him #1.. After all that happened with him since, I think he could fall flat.. He fell a bit flat last year and SPurrier who is a players coach, was never very flattering when talking about him over the last year, despite him being such a big name talent from the year before... That would make me nervous, on the other hand Jordans college coach loves him.... Just tried to trade for him a couple months ago...

Nietzsche

Date: April 15, 2014 08:07AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Berk- I don't think Clowney is going to live up to
> the hype... While he is an amazing athlete and
> prospect, I think he has underachiever and
> inconsistent written all over him... I think it is
> likely In 3 years Jordan is a better NFL player
> then Clowney... And yes I know that is a bold
> statement to make... And I could very well be
> wrong.. First Jordan has to step up his game after
> an iffy rookie year, and Clowney" the best
> defensive prospect in years" has to fall flat...
> Right or wrong that is the feeling I get... Also I
> think Clowney might have a tough time keeping
> healthy and on the field...

You could end up being right crowder. The fact that he coasted through this past season to avoid an injury is a potentially ominous sign. Most great players don't have an "off" switch. They compete at an elite level all the time.

It will be interesting how it turns out.

Date: April 16, 2014 12:18PM

Date: April 16, 2014 02:32PM

I don't think there ever was a player guaranteed to go #1 but he was forced to return to school for another year. If you knew that getting hurt would cost you millions of dollars and you needed to avoid injury to get paid, you'd probably do the same.
Look what happened to his teammate Marcus Latimore. He got hurt and ended up going from the first round to the 5th.

Date: April 16, 2014 02:50PM

Berk- Yeah but nowadays your big money comes in your second contract not your first... You are only this overly concerned with contract 1, when you worry about not being able to hit it big or get to your second contract.... Lots of players have been in Clowney's situation to varying degrees... Hell Manziel won the Heisman as a rookie... He had no place to go but down as well, and he played with no regard for safety last year.. Granted Manziel is not the athletic freak Clowney is however they both were highly touted prospects following last year and remained in school.. CLowney is not the first top 3 prospect to play another year of college would you not agree? But he is the first prospect to handle it in this manner... If he gave it his all, maybe his team wins a national championship... But no, Clowney didn't want to risk it in order to help his team win... That doesn't make you nervous about the guy? Football is a team sport not a me sport...

Nietzsche

Date: April 16, 2014 03:20PM

Date: April 16, 2014 04:07PM

It tells me he is worried about his future in the NFL.... Maybe he is worried about a knee or his back, whatever something has him scared.. I don't think he is scared to play football, I think he is scared how many healthy snaps he has in him... He went against college talent and wasn't all the impressive last year but he is now going to dominate the top tackles in the NFL? The whole thing is fishy to me... Something is up with this guy.... Spurrier is weird about him, his play was weird last year.. I have a feeling something is getting ready to break on the guy or he doesn't really love the game... The situation with his coach, his freak athletic ability and his play last year just doesn't make sense... He only had one good year out of two and is a freak athletically.. Everything else screams run and red flags... Everyone is betting on his freak athletic ability since birth and one year of college ball.. Maybe he is the next Bruce Smith, but I have serious concerns that Bruce Smith was Bruce Smith because of a killer instinct and a lot of hard work.... Not just the athletic ability....

Nietzsche

Date: April 16, 2014 04:17PM

I agree it's not a "positive" but it's certainly understandable and I don't think I'd pass over him for it.

Date: April 16, 2014 06:55PM

Look what happened to Keller. He threw the dice on a 1 yr contact and got steam rolled in Pre season. I can understand playing it safe in college. What do you owe then anyway? You play for free and they make money on you. But once you hit the NFL and someone pays you , you have to play up to that contract everytime you touch the ball. One of the things I hated about Darrell Revis was that he would sign a contract and then renege on it. Refuse to play and sit out. And he did that more then once.

All contracts should be incentive based. I don't care who you are.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 17, 2014 04:40AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2014 08:10AM by samsam3738.

Date: April 17, 2014 10:47AM

Date: April 17, 2014 02:26PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Look what happened to Keller. He threw the dice
> on a 1 yr contact and got steam rolled in Pre
> season. I can understand playing it safe in
> college. What do you owe then anyway? You play for
> free and they make money on you. But once you hit
> the NFL and someone pays you , you have to play up
> to that contract everytime you touch the ball.

What if all ten top prospects in College each year pull a Clowney.. It would be the demise of College Football IMO... IF you love the game you love the game... Train hard, get in better shape, but don't dog it... Clowney had 3 sacks in 13 games last year against college talent... And everyone is calling him the best defensive prospect of the decade.... Really? I don't care what the excuses are but don't tell me the best defensive prospect in a decade had only 3 sacks in 13 games his final year against college talent...

Nietzsche

Date: April 18, 2014 09:01AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Look what happened to Keller. He threw the
> dice
> > on a 1 yr contact and got steam rolled in Pre
> > season. I can understand playing it safe in
> > college. What do you owe then anyway? You play
> for
> > free and they make money on you. But once you
> hit
> > the NFL and someone pays you , you have to play
> up
> > to that contract everytime you touch the ball.
>
>
> What if all ten top prospects in College each year
> pull a Clowney.. It would be the demise of College
> Football IMO... IF you love the game you love the
> game... Train hard, get in better shape, but don't
> dog it... Clowney had 3 sacks in 13 games last
> year against college talent... And everyone is
> calling him the best defensive prospect of the
> decade.... Really? I don't care what the excuses
> are but don't tell me the best defensive prospect
> in a decade had only 3 sacks in 13 games his final
> year against college talent...

I absolutely hear what your saying and agree. But as far as Clowney goes, maybe holding back a little still put him over the Top over most players? Its absolutely something to consider with the Top pick. Look at #77 Long . That guy put out every play. Bang he was on it. But because of his heart he burnt out. And most wouldn't want it any other way.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 09, 2014 04:29PM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 10, 2014 05:39AM

He will never be if he cant stay healthy.

Injuries & being a bad football player are two completely different things.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 10, 2014 06:05AM

No one can say what he will be in the future at this point but his doctor may have a good idea.

I also read a tweet today that said this is an injury that he suffered in college that was never fixed. It sort of disputes all those stories about a guy who took plays off to save his body for the NFL. It's very possible he was just not healthy enough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.