HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dion Jordan name in trade talks
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Dion Jordan name in trade talks
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 28, 2014 12:33PM

Barry Jackson reported the organization told him they are not shopping Wake, Wallace or Jordan..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: February 28, 2014 12:37PM

LaConfora is as reliable as the National Enquirer.

Crap like this flies every offseason.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: February 28, 2014 12:44PM

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 28, 2014 01:20PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Truth- yeah but we would have to eat 27 million
> for one year of play, that isn't happening....
> Sure just about any player is a good deal if the
> team trading eats all of his guaranteed money...
> But no team does that....

If we traded Wallace and Wake and Jordan its a total rebuild. Next year would be flushed down the toilet.

If you are going to do that, its not a bad idea to turn extra cap space into extra draft picks.

I don't think we are dealing Wallace, but what if someone offered you 2 first round picks for him since you were eating so much dead cap space?

Date: February 28, 2014 01:49PM

THE Truth Wrote:

> I don't think we are dealing Wallace, but what if
> someone offered you 2 first round picks for him
> since you were eating so much dead cap space?

I think it is an interesting concept... But is there any precedence for something like this ever happening? My problem is, then we are short at WR again.

If Hickey is dominant in the draft this year and shows he knows how to use draft picks better then we have in the last 10-15 years, I would entertain the idea... But giving an unproven GM that benefit of doubt at this point is not something I could support... If Hickey is no better then Ireland at drafting offensive weapons, then it doesn't make much sense... We need to keep weapons for Tannehill and find a better way to protect him and improve the running game... Hopefully Hickey proves he is the guy to do just that... At this point we have no idea....

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: February 28, 2014 02:54PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Chris,
>
> If you are a gm you should be listening to offers
> on EVERY player. Nobody is untouchable.
>
> I doubt we are having a fire sale, but who knows.

Listening is one thing, offering is another. I think this report is bogus cause it defies logic...even for the Dolphins. LOL.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 28, 2014 03:03PM

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 01, 2014 04:12AM

cshashaty Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Chris,
> >
> > If you are a gm you should be listening to
> offers
> > on EVERY player. Nobody is untouchable.
> >
> > I doubt we are having a fire sale, but who
> knows.
>
> Listening is one thing, offering is another. I
> think this report is bogus cause it defies
> logic...even for the Dolphins. LOL.

Jason La Canfora ?@JasonLaCanfora 13h

Just to reiterate, Dion Jordan absolutely was made available to NFL teams by the Dolphins. Um, and why would they ever "confirm" it. Please

I can believe it for a couple of reasons....

1. Philbin/Coyle did not want a 3-4 OLB'er in their defense or in the first round last year. He knew they needed o-line help.

2. New GM has no allegiance to old GM players. Wants to get along with Philbin.

3. He is a man without a position in Miami. Can he play on the line? Probably but where when you have Vernon and Wake? It is better value to have a first round pick to use on a guy who can contribute this year over a guy sitting on the bench.

4. This year's pass rushers leave a lot to be desired. Clowney is the best but behind him a huge drop-off. There is a definite need.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: March 01, 2014 04:36AM

Best trade scenario.....

Philly: Even up swap for Lane Johnson

Sign Anthony Collins and we have two guys that can play either side. Collins will cost less than Monroe or Albert.

This would let us splurge on a play maker like Jairus Byrd.

.....................................................................................

Date: March 01, 2014 09:06AM

Its not a reflection on Dion. he might be a heck of a kid and a great player one day. But we had no reason giving up a second and a first going for him. Not with an already deep DE position and an Oline that needed so much help. So.......if we can get back a 2nd and a 3rd that can get us two good Olineman, we need to do it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 01, 2014 10:18AM

eesti Wrote:
> Best trade scenario.....
>
> Philly: Even up swap for Lane Johnson
>
> Sign Anthony Collins and we have two guys that can
> play either side. Collins will cost less than
> Monroe or Albert.
>
> This would let us splurge on a play maker like
> Jairus Byrd.

I'm inclined to keep Jordan because he's they type of talent you don't get your hands on too often.

Keep in mind, when we traded up for him all we had at DE was Cam Wake and a huge question mark in Vernon (and shelby). But with Vernon developing into an extremely good pass rusher, I could live with a swap for Johnson.

Date: March 01, 2014 10:46AM

Untapped talent...potential....yes, he COULD be great. Jury still out. Wake only has limited time left and we will need a DE eventually but he seems a better fit as an OLB in space.

Johnson dominated the second half of the season and is proven AND fills a huge need @ 4.5 mil cap hit.

Date: March 01, 2014 04:04PM

While it could have some kernel of truth to it, La Confora's position is kind of BS.... If Dion Jordan does get traded he says, I told you guys I was right in my reporting... If he doesn't get traded he just says, the Dolphins just never got a good enough offer for him... Either way it is kind of BS reporting IMO... And then his excuse is, of course there not going to confirm it.. .WHile the Dolphins not only didn't confirm it they emphatically denied it....
Maybe Hickey was talking shop about his roster with another GM, and said what do you think Jordan, Wallace, and Wake would be worth to a team in need of their position, as Truth said to gauge how others value his roster...

Let me give you an example of La COnfora's style of reporting on this issue. I am going to report that the Patriots are shopping Tom Brady.... Of course the Patriots aren't going to confirm, but I can tell you they were shopping him.... When it doesn't happen, I will just say, well no one offered the Patriots what they wanted for Brady, so the trade didn't happen, but they were shopping him. I stand behind my reporting.. If by chance it happens, I am a insider genius for reporting it.. Either way I win and draw attention to myself as a reporter.... And I can just say or exaggerate any story I want...

With out some sort of actual source/reference or fact based type of reporting it is just BS journalism IMO... While maybe there is some sort of truth from which it derived, it isn't very good reporting. As some one else said National Enquirer type of crap... But everyone picked up his story and posted his name and story all over every football blog from here to China... It is just a hustle on his part IMO...

Nietzsche

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 01, 2014 04:23PM

if someone offered up a top 5 pick for jordan we would take it, and we should. big time OTs this year in the top 5, better than lane johnson

otherwise it's just absurd to trade him now

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 02, 2014 06:59AM

First and foremost --- we need to throw Ross and Philbin in the trash BEFORE we do anything radical.

My opinion. Of course.

Date: March 02, 2014 11:54AM

If Hickey likes Philbin, then putting guys like Wallace, Wake and Jordan on the trading block doesn't make much sense to me... As Berk said, if someone is willing to give you a top 5 pick, equal value for the pick, then unless we have a super strong conviction about Jordan, we do it to solve the LT need...

But ultimately Philbin can't afford a rebuilding year... Getting rid of our star players for future draft picks will all but sign Philbins pink slip... So I have serious doubts that is something Philbin would support... If Hickey wants Philbin out of town, then that is a great passive aggressive way to do it.... But if Philbin is gone next year, not sure Hickey is all that safe...

If a big name coach that wants total control, comes strolling our way next year, you would think Hickey will have his balls cut off or be gone as well...

So it doesn't seem to make much sense on a multitude of levels to me...

Nietzsche

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 02, 2014 12:07PM

eesti Wrote:
> Numerous league sources, including executives from
> other teams, say the Dolphins might also be open
> to dealing receiver Mike Wallace and pass-rushing
> ace Cam Wake. That perception has only grown
> through the course of this week, through
> conversations with numerous decision-makers from
> other clubs, as Miami looks to retool its roster
> under a new regime. PFT

Highly doubtful. Ross wants to win NOW and jobs are on the line (Philbin, et al).

Did injuries slow Jordan last year...not being able to get to OTAs slow his progress....or is he just not good enough? On the other hand, were the coaches clueless in how to handle him, or was Vernon that much better?

Would the Miami brass feel comfortable that their defense is solid enough they could trade Jordan (for a first rounder)?

Wake is Miami's best defensive player, if not the best player on the team. Age could convince Hickey to trade him, but doubtful.

Wallace? No one would want to take on his contract. 'Nuf said!

Date: March 03, 2014 03:47AM

captkoi Wrote:

> Highly doubtful. Ross wants to win NOW and jobs
> are on the line (Philbin, et al).

How many wins did we have WITH those guys? Trading one player doesn't mean you are giving up on winning now.

>
> Did injuries slow Jordan last year...not being
> able to get to OTAs slow his progress....or is he
> just not good enough? On the other hand, were the
> coaches clueless in how to handle him, or was
> Vernon that much better?

I'm sure it was a mix of all those things except not being good enough. Most people believe he is a better fit in a 3-4.

> Would the Miami brass feel comfortable that their
> defense is solid enough they could trade Jordan
> (for a first rounder)?

What's more valuable? a pick you can use on a position of need like LT or a talented player who can't get on the field and plays special teams? Personally, I'd take a starter on the o-line over a role player with limited snaps.

>
> Wake is Miami's best defensive player, if not the
> best player on the team. Age could convince Hickey
> to trade him, but doubtful.

It's what good teams do. Get something for him while you can. Players decline at that age and it happens all of the sudden. Jared Allen, Jason Taylor, Michael Strahan, Lawrence Taylor...all declined around age 31. Wake could come in and only get 5 sacks next year... or start getting injured more often.

>
> Wallace? No one would want to take on his
> contract. 'Nuf said!

That's true but the report only said Hickey was gauging value on these players. Nothing wrong with that. You don't know if you don't ask.

So what we know....

Nobody is taking on a 17 mil cap hit for a player not named Darrell Revis.

Out of the two, the smartest trade would be for Wake. Why trade away a potential star like Jordan when you know Wake is on his way out. We will need him very soon.

I hope Jordan has been lifting in the off season! He needed to add 20 to play 4-3 DE.

Date: March 03, 2014 05:45AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 03, 2014 07:08AM

eesti Wrote:
> Sun Sentinel - Here's another layer to that: The
> Dolphins were highly disappointed with the way
> Dion Jordan went about his work in his rookie
> season, a team source said. Discipline,
> committment, practice ethic - Jordan didn't
> impress the coaching staff with any of those his
> rookie year. That was obvious by the limited role
> he played despite being the third-overall pick.

If this report is true, it's just another black eye on Ireland for not sniffing this out in the interview process

Date: March 03, 2014 11:20AM

dolphaholic Wrote:

> If this report is true, it's just another black
> eye on Ireland for not sniffing this out in the
> interview process

but I am sure Ireland himself MADE SURE that Jordan's mother was not a prostitute.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 04, 2014 12:48AM

eesti Wrote:

RE: In my opinion this quote is all about saving face and is therefore BS. Jordan made plays when he was on the field, was always near the QB when he got the chance to rush, and was the only person we had at LB/DE whatever, that could actually cover a TE.

Now for the saving face part...the team used a high draft pick on him, and because of the season Vernon had, Jordan couldn't get starters snaps. How do you justify that? Simple, by saying that he was not ready, and had issues that dictated he play reduced snaps.

That gives everyone a plausible reason, deflects the blame onto Ireland for drafting what some percieve as a project player, and takes some of the heat off of the coaching staff.

And, if he does not see more time this year. The story will be, because his work ethic is still lacking.

Date: March 04, 2014 07:27AM

Who else uses the number 3 overall pick as a special teamer? That was a direct shot towards Ireland IMO. I am wondering...just how big of an ass is Joe Philbin anyway? The more time goes by the more he looks like one.

If you didn't play a talented kid just to prove a point to your GM then you have no business being a HC.

Now way of knowing if that was the case but none of the rookie class got much playing time.

Date: March 04, 2014 11:32AM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: March 04, 2014 01:17PM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 04, 2014 01:31PM

eesti Wrote:

Screw the S Fl press last fall they printed how his teammates and coaches were praising his work ethic. At Oregon I read no stories about him having a bad work ethic. Now to help Philbin and company they smear a player. Aholes.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 04, 2014 03:53PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
>
> Who else uses the number 3 overall pick as a
> special teamer? That was a direct shot towards
> Ireland IMO. I am wondering...just how big of an
> ass is Joe Philbin anyway? The more time goes by
> the more he looks like one.
>
> If you didn't play a talented kid just to prove a
> point to your GM then you have no business being a
> HC.
>
> Now way of knowing if that was the case but none
> of the rookie class got much playing time.
>
>
> This is an excellent post on a number of levels.
>
> First and foremost, Phlimflam is a certified
> ASSHOLE as a HC -- lacking motivational talent,
> leadership capacity and ANYTHING between the ears
> that would distinguish him as "unique and
> valuable" to the coaching staff as a unit.
>
> Phlimflam is just an ASS that has risen to the
> highest ASS level he's incompetently capable of.
> He's a classic Peter Principal ASS who has ZERO
> business being more than a banquet planner at the
> Hampton Inn in Bridgeport CT, or maybe some other
> New England ASS place like Sphincterham,
> Bellingham or Framingham. Just some dumb ASS ham
> place where he can play ham and cheese with his
> incompetent crony asses.
>
> Yea. He obviously sandbagged the entire draft
> class. Total class ASS move played as only a
> charter citizen of Sphincterham can play it. I
> mean
>
> how obvious. Phlimflam is definitely the Jack
>
> of Asses. Best ever! Wicked…
>
> BNF. Yet
>
> there's more.

post of the year

Date: March 05, 2014 03:18AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sun Sentinel - Here's another layer to that: The
>
> > Dolphins were highly disappointed with the way
> > Dion Jordan went about his work in his rookie
> > season, a team source said. Discipline,
> > committment, practice ethic - Jordan didn't
> > impress the coaching staff with any of those his
>
> > rookie year. That was obvious by the limited
> role
> > he played despite being the third-overall pick.
>
>
> Screw the S Fl press last fall they printed how
> his teammates and coaches were praising his work
> ethic. At Oregon I read no stories about him
> having a bad work ethic. Now to help Philbin and
> company they smear a player. Aholes.

Like everything that comes from the SFL press you take it with a grain of salt.

The more likely scenario is that the coaches were not happy that he would not play hurt last year. Coaches in the NFL don't like that stuff. I doubt the SFL press is doing anything to help JP intentionally.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 05, 2014 03:42AM

Wake me up if this team ever makes the playoffs.

Date: March 05, 2014 10:32AM

808phan Wrote:
> Wake me up if this team ever makes the playoffs.

LOL. Who do you intend to be? Rip Van Winkle?

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.