HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          what do u guys think?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
what do u guys think?
Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: February 21, 2014 11:50AM

I would love the phins to pick up jared allen. The guy is a beast and a game changer. Would also like them to pick up Eric Decker, I know he has manning throwing to him but we need proven recievers not all these projects. As far as the draft goes, get the rb from ohio state and throw away miller and thomas and keep gillislee. Its time to get some talent in here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what do u guys think?
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 21, 2014 11:59AM

You pick the two spots we're deep at to want to sign pricey FA's?

Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: February 21, 2014 12:04PM

deep in crap. seriously do u think after hartline and mr. drops alot that anyone is better than decker? and which DE after wake is better than allen? Just because our bucket is full of dogshit doesnt make it a good bucket.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 22, 2014 09:29AM

Our WR's are far from crap. Wallace had his struggles in his FIRST year in a new offense but some of those struggles were by the guy throwing the ball.

Decker has been good but i would have to ask the question..."Is it due to Peyton Manning or Erik Decker?

You can't just play fantasy football and go get these guys without paying a price (unless your Jeff Ireland). The price is that you would have to neglect glaring holes on other parts of the team. Namely the offensive line.

Allen is at the point where it is becoming a gamble to sign him. He is aging as all players do. We already have one 32 year old pass rusher.

In order to sign Decker you would have to deal Mike Wallace and nobody is taking on that contract. We are stuck with them. Like it or not.

If I added any offensive weapons it would be a TE or a RB but I would make sure I had 4 new starters on the o-line first.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 22, 2014 11:20AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our WR's are far from crap. Wallace had his
> struggles in his FIRST year in a new offense but
> some of those struggles were by the guy throwing
> the ball.
>
> Decker has been good but i would have to ask the
> question..."Is it due to Peyton Manning or Erik
> Decker?
>
> You can't just play fantasy football and go get
> these guys without paying a price (unless your
> Jeff Ireland). The price is that you would have to
> neglect glaring holes on other parts of the team.
> Namely the offensive line.
>
> Allen is at the point where it is becoming a
> gamble to sign him. He is aging as all players do.
> We already have one 32 year old pass rusher.
>
> In order to sign Decker you would have to deal
> Mike Wallace and nobody is taking on that
> contract. We are stuck with them. Like it or not.
>
> If I added any offensive weapons it would be a TE
> or a RB but I would make sure I had 4 new starters
> on the o-line first.

Agreed, eesti....Miami has way too many holes to fill to worry about obtaining another WR (Decker). Decker would be coming at a pretty hefty price; if not, the Broncos would sign him. Miami has enough good WRs that they can get by without concerning themselves with that position.

Yes, Wallace had his problems, partly due to RT not getting him the ball (as you stated), but also because he dropped quite a few passes, and the OLine didn't give him a hell of a lot of time to get the throw off.

Allen would be a good signing for a team that is on the cusp of either playoffs or Super Bowl. If he were to sign with a team like Miami, he would ask for a lot more money than he would if he had a chance to sign with a playoff team. Besides, our DEs (and LBers) do a pretty good job, already. Now its up to the defensive coaches to coach these guys up and to put them into workable schemes.

I wouldn't even add any TEs. Miami has a pretty good stable, and as I said above, it would be up to the coaching staff to utilize them in the proper manner to get the best out of them.

Date: February 22, 2014 11:49AM

You could also argue that a healthy Gibson is real close to Eric Decker in skills.
Also, we couldn't get D. Jordan playing time last year, now we sign another pass rushing DE???? An aging one at that?????.....No thanks

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 22, 2014 03:29PM

Plus we will have to overpay every fa to come play for Ross and philbin

Date: February 23, 2014 03:47AM

OLINE FIRST. Our QB , Receivers, and tight ends will all improve instantly behind a solid front line. Except for RB and tightend we don't go after anything else offensively but the Oline this year.

O Line and the holes created on defense by free agency this year. That's the priority. Lets get one fact straight, the New GM can't fix everything his first season. Priorities this season , lets shoot for the playoffs and no controversies , Next season we will tighten up the roster and look ahead.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 23, 2014 05:09AM

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing Hickey do is draft a developmental speedster WR this year, so Wallace and his huge contract could be shown the door in a few years. Isn't the WR class real deep and fast this year?

Date: February 23, 2014 06:23AM

We go after a WR with the 4 HUGE holes in the Oline Hicky will prove he is a down grade from Ireland.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 23, 2014 06:55AM

I'm talking like a 5th/6th7th rnd guy TCP

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 23, 2014 07:30AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> I'm talking like a 5th/6th7th rnd guy TCP

We won't have 4 holes in the oline by the time we get to the draft.

At least two of them will be filled in free agency before then, so taking a WR late is certainly an option.

Date: February 23, 2014 08:34AM

Rumor is now that Miami will not sign/extend Pouncey to a long term deal so he may indeed be trade bait.

.....................................................................................

Date: February 23, 2014 09:43AM

eesti Wrote:
> Rumor is now that Miami will not sign/extend
> Pouncey to a long term deal so he may indeed be
> trade bait.

Call the Steelers.

Pouncey can ball. He's worth a late one or an early 2.

Date: February 23, 2014 10:17AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> OLINE FIRST. Our QB , Receivers, and tight ends
> will all improve instantly behind a solid front
> line. Except for RB and tightend we don't go after
> anything else offensively but the Oline this year.
>
>
> O Line and the holes created on defense by free
> agency this year. That's the priority. Lets get
> one fact straight, the New GM can't fix everything
> his first season. Priorities this season , lets
> shoot for the playoffs and no controversies ,
> Next season we will tighten up the roster and look
> ahead.

Your third sentence of paragraph two made me chuckle.

How long have we fans been saying that (...can't fix everything the first season)?

Ya gotta laugh, too, in that the biggest area that needs to get fixed is the same area that has needed to get fixed for the last six years or so.

Date: February 23, 2014 10:21AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> dolphaholic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm talking like a 5th/6th7th rnd guy TCP
>
>
> We won't have 4 holes in the oline by the time we
> get to the draft.
>
> At least two of them will be filled in free agency
> before then, so taking a WR late is certainly an
> option.

Miami has been taking WRs in the late rounds for how long now and we have who of those starting?

And Truth, Hickey has to get at least six or seven offensive linemen to battle it out for starting positions. I don't care if Hickey signs two FAs, there are no guarantees that they will pan out for the Dolphins.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 23, 2014 10:26AM

No on Allen and Decker

Shore up the OL via FA's, one high priced one or two at lower price or via trade of Pouncy and/or Martin

Draft the best big WR/TE available in the first

Everything will depend on Tannehill's maturation. if we are where we are now a year from now, it may be time to move on

Draft Garrapolo or Murray in the 4th as a backup plan

Hoping for a solid draft for once in a long time

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 23, 2014 10:45AM

I'll keep saying.....get ALL of your oline from free agency or Canada. You need experienced people right away. We don't need Tanny waiting for yet another generation of rookies to learn the ropes in the NFL.

Date: February 23, 2014 10:45AM

captkoi Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> -----
> > dolphaholic Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I'm talking like a 5th/6th7th rnd guy TCP
> >
> >
> > We won't have 4 holes in the oline by the time
> we
> > get to the draft.
> >
> > At least two of them will be filled in free
> agency
> > before then, so taking a WR late is certainly
> an
> > option.
>
> **********************************************
>
> Miami has been taking WRs in the late rounds for
> how long now and we have who of those starting?
>
> And Truth, Hickey has to get at least six or seven
> offensive linemen to battle it out for starting
> positions. I don't care if Hickey signs two FAs,
> there are no guarantees that they will pan out for
> the Dolphins.

Matthews certainly looks like a keeper, if not a starter in this league.

Hickey needs to take players who will be on this team in 3 years. If that a WR...I'm ok with it.

We got Matthews in a deep WR draft. He had a 2nd round grade by some and fell because of a hamstring injury.

If we we netted another guy like him in the 6th or 7th I'd be fine with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 11:05AM by THE Truth.

Date: February 24, 2014 03:53AM

Or we could actually approach an off season with some non-Ireland type logic.

How many years did Ireland ignore GLARING positions of need only to sign or draft players at a position of strength? Too many.

2011: Ignored right tackle (signed Columbo)
2012: Traded away Brandon Marshall and ignored WR, Traded away Vontae and ignored CB
2013: Completely ignored the offensive line and signed LB'ers.

The sad part is the past two years we have had a surplus in cap space.

Expecting to sign 4 or 5 new FA offensive linemen TO START and perform in 2014 is not realistic IMO. Not when we still need a starting DT, FS, CB or 2

When has going big in FA ever worked for anyone?

I think you have to find a healthy mix between FA and the draft. You just actually have to draft good players. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to find a starting tackle in the first round.

You do it because it will only cost you about 2 mil per year compared to 9 mil. That 7 million dollar savings allows you to sign more quality linemen or Brent Grimes.

Drafting a WR in the first round when we have so many other needs is just a little too "Irish". Who do you bench? The 17 million dollar man, the 6.2 million dollar guy or the 4 mil guy?

Date: February 24, 2014 06:56AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I'll keep saying.....get ALL of your oline from
> free agency or Canada. You need experienced
> people right away. We don't need Tanny waiting
> for yet another generation of rookies to learn the
> ropes in the NFL.

I agree on your approach , but we need some Young blood as well. 2 Oline men from this deep draft will help us in that 4 th quarter stretch in December. Lineman learn quickly its injuries that stop them in the stretch. 2 newbies backed by 5 FA and I like your Canada thinking also. Like GoldRush there is some Gems to be unearthed up there. Its a tougher league then you think and some mighty fine players have done time up there.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 24, 2014 06:59AM

captkoi Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> -----
> > OLINE FIRST. Our QB , Receivers, and tight ends
> > will all improve instantly behind a solid front
> > line. Except for RB and tightend we don't go
> after
> > anything else offensively but the Oline this
> year.
> >
> >
> > O Line and the holes created on defense by free
> > agency this year. That's the priority. Lets get
> > one fact straight, the New GM can't fix
> everything
> > his first season. Priorities this season , lets
> > shoot for the playoffs and no controversies ,
> > Next season we will tighten up the roster and
> look
> > ahead.
>
> **************************************************
> ***
>
> Your third sentence of paragraph two made me
> chuckle.
>
> How long have we fans been saying that (...can't
> fix everything the first season)?
>
> Ya gotta laugh, too, in that the biggest area that
> needs to get fixed is the same area that has
> needed to get fixed for the last six years or so.

LOL. We have to go in knowing , while this isn't a complete rebuilding we do have to realize Hicky wants to put his stamp on this Team. There will be a lot of new faces this year and no way he can fix everything the first season. On Top of that no one is perfect and he is bound to make some mistakes as well. We really are going back to step one in a lot of places and expect growing pains again all around. Thankfully Tannehill is young and can grow some. Our 3 yr window just went to 5 IMO. confused smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 24, 2014 07:45AM

We (Hickey) may also take a more relaxed approach and not sign the big name free agents.

For instance....

Instead of signing Grimes, we decide that Davis and Taylor will take at least one starting role and we sign a lower tier guy like Walter Thurmond from Seattle to start on the other side. Possible re-work Pattersons deal or cut him or resign Carroll.

Instead of handing a fat contract to Starks, we resign Paul Soliai to a cap friendly deal and maybe sign a guy like Tony McDaniels or Vance Walker to be a rotational guy.

Instead of signing a top LT like Albert or Monroe, we go after Roger Saffold for RT and draft a LT in the first round. We then follow up by signing Geoff Schwartz to play guard and draft another guard in the 2nd round. It's not sexy but it's an improvement over the 2013 squad.

I think Clemons is affordable so maybe we resign him.

Personally I think with all the cap space we have, we should sign one top tier FA. I'm not sure it's smart to do that with a 30+ year old player like Grimes or Starks. I think LT may be too big of a risk to rely on a rookie so make that big signing a LT.

It's all going to come down to how Hickey valued our 2013 draft class and then go from there....

He already said he was placing "Dolphin value" on these players. It was also reported that the Dolphins made the most inquiries on FA CB's over the combine weekend.

So why wouldn't you spend 9 million on a 27 year old Verner instead of a 31 year old Grimes?

Grimes may find out that the market is not there for an aging CB and be more apt to sign a deal in the 6 mil range.

This is how I would value our own FA's per season as a starting point....

Starks = 5 mil
Grimes = 5.5 mil
Clemons = 2.5 mil
Carroll = 2 mil
Soliai = 3 mil

That's around 18 mil to sign our own guys on a potential 45.4 mil cap after cutting Patterson and Moore. 27.4 remainder. So you can see we have room to make additions.

I don't buy into the notion this team cannot be fixed in one off season. Sure we will have our misses but they should at least address the issues.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 24, 2014 10:33AM

Date: February 25, 2014 03:24AM

Get our lineman from Canada...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That's a good one. you guys crap me up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 03:24AM by eesti.

Date: February 25, 2014 06:51AM

Why not? It worked with Cam Wake. And he is Elite at the position. Why is it crazy to think there are not some very solid Stud Lumberjacks up there who can push off and block?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 25, 2014 07:27AM

It's not crazy but not something I would even put in the same sentence as free agency. Besides Wake, who was the last CFL player to come into the NFL and make a name for himself? Jerrell Freeman??? Who??

Marcus Thigpen did it as a returner but he hasn't done much outside of his first year.

Wake's discovery was in 2009.

There might be one or two players who get a workout in a years time and that's at all positions. 8 out of 10 CFL converts are LB'ers.

If you are going to list a source for finding lineman, you would have a better shot naming undrafted free agents. More of those will make NFL rosters than CFL superstars.

Date: February 25, 2014 07:46AM

But you would be a fool to overlook it as an option. The minute you do The Jets , Pats, or the Bills (who are much closer) might pick him up. Undrafted Free agents have turned out to be superstars every couple of years.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 25, 2014 07:51AM

I never said overlook it and obviously they won't. The statement was made...

> I'll keep saying.....get ALL of your oline from
> free agency or Canada. You need experienced
> people right away.

As if it were so easy (or commonplace) to pluck linemen out of the great white north. It hardly ever happens.

Date: February 25, 2014 09:28AM

I'm pretty sure every team has a scout dedicated to the CFL, and like eesti said, how many CFL'ers actually make an impact in the NFL? Sure, it's a place to look, but i'm not holding my breath.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.