HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Mel Kiper on who phins could take
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Mel Kiper on who phins could take
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 11, 2009 04:59PM

sounds like what I think will happen--best avail CB in 1st, best avail WR with on of our 2ds. I think our 1st rounder will be Butler from UConn, sporano likes those guys from CT and Davis is supposedly too inconsistent.

" They have to take a corner. Will Allen is a solid veteran, but they need a corner. They could look at two guys, Vontae Davis out of Illinois or Darius Butler out of UConn. Those are the players you would consider in the draft.

Their other need is WR.

Brian Robiskie would be a good pick in the second round. Pat White the QB turned WR would be a good pick. Juaquin Iglesias in the third. Mohamed Massaquoi in the 3-4 range. There will be a chance for them to get a WR in the 2, 3, 4 rounds. "

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mel Kiper on who phins could take
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 11, 2009 05:41PM

I am starting to see that SIP (Sparano, Ireland, Parcels) does not place high value on CB's. This is the same philosophy many 3-4 coaches use such as NE and Pit. They believe you can get by with good not great corners as long as you have a good pass rush. While this backfired on NE last year I think it still holds true. The problem with NE was they did not have the pass rush.

That being said, I think we will take a corner on day one but I don't see any worthy of pick 25. Even the top two (Jenkins & Davis) are going to drop because of poor performances at the combine in both agility and physical tests. I see many of the CB's with 2nd and 3rd round grades and many being very equal.

So...that leaves us taking the BPA out of a select group of positions. The problem is that NE signed their CB's this week and will now focus on pass rushers as well. I think we both like Clay Mathews and they pick first.

I am interested to see what happens at pro days for some of the OLB's and DE's that didn't impress at the combine like....Larry English 3-27, Everette Brown 3-16, Clint Sintim 3-19 & Aaron Maybin 3-18.

I think we take an OLB in round 1 and then CB and NT in round 2 or maybe 2 CB's in round 2.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 11, 2009 07:05PM

I think we take an ILB or NT in round 1. I do think we take a CB on day 1, but I don't expect a rookie CB to start.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 12, 2009 10:28AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am starting to see that SIP (Sparano, Ireland,
> Parcels) does not place high value on CB's. This
> is the same philosophy many 3-4 coaches use such
> as NE and Pit. They believe you can get by with
> good not great corners as long as you have a good
> pass rush.

Defintely true, look what they did with Goodman last year,
he got lit up the first few games when he played off the WR's as a cover corner..I mean bad, on his way to the bench. Then they changed his playing style completely and got him jamming the WR's real well off the line and the pass rush increased, he became a stud. THose extra seconds jamming the guy successfully added with good pass rush, takes away the route and passing lane for the QB to throw toward your guy. And I think the "SIP" feel confident they can teach that to anothers cover cb who gets burned like Goodman did initially. I am really curious to see how Goodman does in Denver, if the pass rush is weak and he is not played the same way as Sparano changed him toplay in Miami.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: March 12, 2009 04:47PM

We draft Sean Smith DB, Ron Brace NT, Brian Robiske WR in that order.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 12, 2009 06:53PM

that would be pretty solid. however I think brace and robiske will be gone where you have them and 25 may be to high for smith.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: March 13, 2009 02:06AM

I dont like Robiskie. Maybe he turns out to be good, but something about him rings out that he will be a 4th WR on someones depth chart for his entire career. He has no WOW factor. None. He was an *average* college WR. Thats not good enough for the NFL.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: March 13, 2009 02:42AM

I just saw two mocks, both of which have us taking Larry English (DE) - with the goal of converting him to OLB.

Date: March 13, 2009 04:25AM

I think Sean Smith is the most intriquing CB in this draft. Aside from Jenkins and Davis, I think he has the most upside. I am not a scout but if the experts decide he can play CB, then he should be the 3rd CB taken this year so a first round grade is not out of the question.

Robiskie was not productive in college but you have to look at the offense they ran. It was a run first, ball control, conservative offense so he is not going to put up huge numbers there. The starting QB averaged 12.6 pass attempt per game and had only 4 games out of 14 with more than 10 pass attempts. He had 7 games where he ran it more than 10 times.

BR accounted for 40% of the passing offense. It is a wonder that he was able to gain 535 yards and 8 TD's. Beanie Wells had 207 carries and Prior had 139 compared to 165 pas attempts. The QB ran the ball almost as much as he threw it. What did you expect the WR's to do?

He has good intangibles with his size and speed and I see him as more of a Anthony Gonzales/Reggie Wayne type of receiver but bigger. He knows the game and is considered NFL ready so he should contribute sooner than some of the higher ranked WR's like Heyward Bey or Harvin who need polish and are more boom or bust type players. I think he should be a solid number 2 receiver. I really don't see him being a career 4th receiver.

I would rather have Nicks though.

I think teams will reach for Brace because of the need for 3-4 NT's and lack of NT's in the draft. I think he is more of a 3rd rounder but will go earlier because of all the new 3-4 defenses.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 13, 2009 08:07AM

Our recent FA acquisitions have everyone guessing, which is exactly how BP wants it. The talk of us taking an ILB with our first pick has faded away, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see us grab Larainitus if he falls to us.

Posted by: ThaFishula13 ()
Date: March 13, 2009 10:58AM

I predict we will take the best OLB available in the first round. Pressure, pressure, and more pressure that's a CB best friend. Besides Porter is not a puppy anymore, he still has juice in the tank left for a couple more seasons. We have no pass rush on Roth's side of the ball, hopefully Cam Wake is as good as advertised, we'll see. We're getting a pass rusher in the first round, that's my bet. Maybe Mathews or English.

Date: March 13, 2009 02:48PM

Laurinaitis improved his 40 by a tenth at pro day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.