HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Latest from Dolphins HQ
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Latest from Dolphins HQ
Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: January 05, 2014 10:18AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i really doubt the league told ross to wait so as
> not to "overshadow" the playoffs. mike munchak was
> fired yesterday

Good point, but the league can't force a team to wait. I keep wondering if the spectre of the Wells report factors in here. Wells MUST have pre-disclosed Ross by now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 05, 2014 10:18AM

cshashaty Wrote:
> Pure speculation on my part...
>
> Ross is taking the weeekend to mull over what he
> heard last week. Decisions afterwards per league
> request so as not to overshadow the playoffs.

I'd be more inclined to buy into that if Munchak hadn't been fired yesterday.

I think he's inclined to keep things as is (with an assistant or two getting fired) for one more year so he's waiting on the NFL report to see if there's anything in it that forces him to clean house.

There is nothing to be gained on his end by publicly announcing people are returning only to possibly have to let them go once the report comes out.

Of course, if he was inclined to clean house, there is no need to wait for the NFL investigation to be released. There's plenty of reason to do that, or to have done that, at any time in the last week.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 05, 2014 10:23AM

And it doesn't do much good to fire anyone until you have a plan of attack for new hires.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 05, 2014 10:26AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> cshashaty Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> Of course, if he was inclined to clean house,
> there is no need to wait for the NFL investigation
> to be released. There's plenty of reason to do
> that, or to have done that, at any time in the
> last week.

this.
and seriously, the "worst" thing to leak out re Ireland in the "scandal" is he asked Martin's agent why didn't Martin just hit Incog. Assume the report validates that this happened. Is this reason to get rid of the GM, vs his 6 yrs of poor personnel moves?
Ross is an idiot. I am beginning to think he just got lucky in various real estate deals to make his money. It happens.

Date: January 05, 2014 10:30AM

Right. I'm wondering if the Dolphins are better off going back to one guy with 100% accountability, as they last had when Jimmy Johnson was in charge.

I don't trust Ireland but Don Shula and Steve Ross seem to trust Joe Philbin. Could Ross be leaning this way, especially with Shula advising him?

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 05, 2014 01:33PM

Ireland sucks and needs to be fired. 6 years is long enough.

If he goes then clean the entire house. You don't saddle a new gm with a lame duck coach and on the flip side, what OC worth anything is going to replace Sherman knowing it's a make or break year for the coach.

Do it Monday and bring Jay Gruden in. He's taken Andy Dalton as far as he can and I think would do wonders for Tannehill.

Bring in a personnel guy to work with him not above him and a director of ops to oversee the whole shebang(sp)...and that guy should be Marino. It would bring some credibility back to this once proud organization.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 05, 2014 04:21PM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 05, 2014 04:59PM

First of all. Nothing is on the record (meaning talked about publicly) yet. But my memory of the rumors were that Ireland was supposed to have told Martin that when he came to complain about it, not as an explanation for him leaving. But who really knows.

Date: January 05, 2014 05:01PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> -----
> > THE Truth Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > cshashaty Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> >
> > > Of course, if he was inclined to clean house,
> > > there is no need to wait for the NFL
> > investigation
> > > to be released. There's plenty of reason to
> do
> > > that, or to have done that, at any time in
> the
> > > last week.
> >
> >
> > this.
> > and seriously, the "worst" thing to leak out re
> > Ireland in the "scandal" is he asked Martin's
> > agent why didn't Martin just hit Incog. Assume
> the
> > report validates that this happened. Is this
> > reason to get rid of the GM, vs his 6 yrs of
> poor
> > personnel moves?
> > Ross is an idiot. I am beginning to think he
> just
> > got lucky in various real estate deals to make
> his
> > money. It happens.
>
>
> I'm in the Fireland crowd berk, but wasn't this
> comment disputed that Ireland asked that AFTER
> Martin left the team? That totally changes the
> context of that statement if true.

right but my point is that even if the worst case allegation is true, it should not matter a lick about whether to keep ireland if you evaluate his 6 years of personnel blunders and that state of this team

Date: January 05, 2014 05:04PM

oh boy

Michael Silver ?@MikeSilver 1h
Against all odds, I am hearing Jeff Ireland may stay on as Dolphins GM...

Date: January 06, 2014 04:51AM

so I would say if we hear no news today then there will be no change at GM or HC. Best we can expect is a change at OC, and even that may not happen. I am sure the OL coach will take the fall for bullygate and the crappy play of the team. Now there's leadership and accountability for you!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 06, 2014 05:23AM

Getting rid of the o-line coach is a very good place to start. Coaches and assistant coaches can always be fired later. I just want to see something, anything to suggest that next season will be different.
Some time ago I posted that Philbin's strategy included removing TVs from the training areas to eliminate distractions and encourage more "football" related focus and conversations. At the time I was thinking, doesn't his guy realize that these athletes are just big rich kids? Take away their TV privileges and they may see that as a punishment.
Later, I watched an interview of Cameron Wake and he was describing some of the motivational posters that the coach had installed in the locker room following the 4 game losing streak.
Stuff like "The rest of the season begins this Sunday." and others.
It was obvious to me that Wake was saying the right things while biting his tongue to keep from being rude.
I remember thinking that this reminds me a lot of Wanny and his lobster trap and how well that worked.
Maybe there are motivational posters in all locker rooms. I really don't know.
Sorry about the rant.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: January 06, 2014 05:44AM

I agree with you Hooligan about the wanny-ness of Philbin's motivation tricks. Also I have never heard of a coach reading off index cards when speaking to his players. Hard to view that guy as the leader of men to take you into battle when he can't even get it together enough to speak directly to you without reading it first.

Armondo Salguero was writing about how even coaches like Belichek show movies to the team to fire them up (I think he got Mark Wahlberg to speak to the team and screen his navy seal movie). I am not saying that this necessarily works or Philbin has to do it (he said he never heard of the movie) but I would put more stock in Belichek's ability to relate to today's players than Phiblins.

Date: January 06, 2014 05:59AM

Well, when you think about it, going to see a movie is what big kids like to do. Watching pre-screen movies is what rich kids like to do. I can see the players in the NE locker room thinking, "Wow, coach is OK."
By contrast, our guys are thinking, "what a nerd."
In BOTH cases the players are probably right.
Belichek feels the pulse of his locker room, Philbin is too busy designing motivational posters.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 06:10AM by Hooligan2.

Date: January 06, 2014 06:10AM

philbin is defintiely a nerd. after the NE game he was asked by reports if the team had "swagger." He said he didn't know what that meant, and next day he said he looked it up, read the definition and said the team didn't have it. Now I get dry humor and I think it's kind of funny, but I don't think that this is the kind of thing NFL players relate to.
Channing Crowder has some good comments about this stuff on his radio show. He used to say how the team would roll their eyes and laugh at some of the stuff cam cameron did. Hard to really respect your coach when you think he's a tool.

It would be one thing if Philbin was truly great offensive mind, people might over look that, but i am still waiting for someone to tell me one thing Philbin does well or is expert at---not defense, not special teams, and not play calling b/c he does not do that (Sherman does) and he never even did it at GB

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: January 06, 2014 06:48AM

I still think (and will continue to think) that the architect of the most woefully inept offensive line in the HISTORY of the Miami Dolphins needs to be fired first and foremost. I couldn't care less what happens with Philbin and the rest of the coaches because until we have someone in charge of personnel that can even do an average job of evaluating talent, we're sunk. How much more empirical data does Ross need to finally realize that his GM doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground? My God, this decision is the mother of all no brainers. If Ross doesn't want an empty stadium next year, he has to give the fans some amount of hope. The best way to do that is to fire the ball boy pretending to be a GM and get someone competent in his place.

Date: January 06, 2014 07:07AM

well said fins72, i agree completely

Date: January 06, 2014 07:12AM

Not much activity going on in Davie today. Ross is doing his work off-site. Even the media have lost interest in further stakeouts. Ross is simply not in a hurry, for whatever reason.

While you're waiting, if you haven't read the latest column by The Herald's Dan LeBatard, you should.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 07:18AM by cshashaty.

Date: January 06, 2014 07:26AM

one reason they may not do anything until after the NFL investigation is for financial reasons.

so if they fire anyone as a direct result of bullygate they'll be firing them with cause and will not be required to pay the balance of the contract or settle for a fraction of what would be owed.

can't overlook the financial aspect of these decisions.

Date: January 06, 2014 07:27AM

basically ross has a get out of jail free card and is waiting to see if it can be played.

Date: January 06, 2014 07:38AM

You bring up a good point and he may very well wait until the Wells report is published. But I have think that Ross has been pre-disclosed by now as to what the report will say.

Date: January 06, 2014 07:54AM

And they say the team takes on the personality of the leadership....

Probably not to far from the truth as we are boring and predictable with a bit of disfunctionality thrown in thanks to Jeff IReland

Philbin may have been a better fit back in 70's....with Tom Landry and those type of guys.

He seems out of touch and awkward. Have you seen his post game speeches? "Ya know guys....What we'd like to see is..." BORING.

What the hell has Sherman ever done that's extraordinary? he failed as a HC and then as a college coach.

He was brought in to Seattle by Mike Holmgren to be OC (prior TE coach) in his first year as GM/HC and guided Jon Kitna to a 54% completion rate, 3346,23/16 and he had a very good running back in Ricky Waters. They had a 9-7 record.

The next year (2000) he was hired as HC in GB. All the talent in the world on offense and they went 9-7. brett Favre, Ahman Green, Antonio Freeman, Bubba Franks. Favre threw for 3800/20/16. Hardly anything to brag about but it was the 8th ranked offense in the league. This was around the time Ahman Green was on a terror. No playoffs this year.

2001: They had the 3rd ranked pass offense and 12-4 record. Sherman became GM as well as HC. Lost divisional round p.o.
2002: 10th ranked pass offense and 12-4 again. Lost WC round p.o.
2003: Dropped to 10-6 with the 16th ranked passing offense. lost wildcard p.o. game.
2004: 10-6, 3rd ranked pass off. lost divisional p.o. game.
2005: 4-12, Favre threw 30 int's.Green injured. Sherman fired. No playoffs.

So this is what he accomplished with a HOF QB, All Pro RB and usually two PB WR's. Not a bad record but come on....this was a talented team.

He then went on to be ASS. HC/off ASS. in Houston to Gary Kubiak in his first year (2006) and had the 28th ranked offense as an assistant. The following year he was promoted to OC in Houston and had the 14th ranked offense. From 6-10 to 8-8. This was Matt Schaub's first year.

Then it's off to TAMU where he posted records of 4-8, 6-7 and 9-4 (19-19) before being fired.

So all in all he's not a bad coach but he's also nothing special. Favre had one or two good years under Sherman but he also had some of the worst in his career. They even had a running game and never went anywhere past the wild card round.

.....................................................................................

Date: January 06, 2014 08:19AM

This is where I can't agree with some of you that consider Ireland the architect of the o-line. If you want to use construction analogies then Ireland is the general contractor/purchasing agent buying the parts. The team tasked with putting the parts together into a safe structure is the architect and engineers (coaches).
Ireland, working closely with Philbin, has been bringing in former Pro bowl caliber players. The coaches are dropping the ball by not being able to coach them into playing as a unit. It IS NOT Ireland's job to get them to play as a unit and, it is unrealistic to expect him to hire players that have played together previously.
If Ireland was auditioning for players in supermarket parking lots then you guys would have a point.
If you prefer a military analogy, imagine a battle needs to be fought. Ireland brings in a battalion of hardened combat veterans with special forces training and assigns them to General Philbin who promptly lines them up in Napoleonic battle formations and marches them into enemy positions. Who gets the blame?
My apologies to all of you military guys.
I agree that Ireland SHOULD be fired but, just for hiring Philbin.
My opinion of course.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Date: January 06, 2014 08:34AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> one reason they may not do anything until after
> the NFL investigation is for financial reasons.
>
> so if they fire anyone as a direct result of
> bullygate they'll be firing them with cause and
> will not be required to pay the balance of the
> contract or settle for a fraction of what would be
> owed.
>
> can't overlook the financial aspect of these
> decisions.

BINGO!!!!!!!! Give this man a prize!!!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 06, 2014 08:36AM

Dolphins announce that Offensive Coordinator Mike Sherman has been fired.

Statement from Joe Philbin:

“I would like to thank Mike for his contributions to the Miami Dolphins. Mike has been a mentor to me throughout my coaching career, dating back to 1979. He is a man of great integrity, dedicated to his family, his team, his players and his profession. On behalf of the entire Miami Dolphins organization I want to wish Mike and his family the very best in the future.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 08:37AM by cshashaty.

Date: January 06, 2014 08:54AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> This is where I can't agree with some of you that
> consider Ireland the architect of the o-line. If
> you want to use construction analogies then
> Ireland is the general contractor/purchasing agent
> buying the parts. The team tasked with putting the
> parts together into a safe structure is the
> architect and engineers (coaches).

I'm not sure who mentioned Ireland as the architect but i would say that he most definitely is. He designed it by choosing the players. He's also the GC that's buying the parts.

The "team tasked with putting the parts together" would be Philbin and co. acting as the carpenter.

> Ireland, working closely with Philbin, has been
> bringing in former Pro bowl caliber players.

Who are these former Pro Bowl players? Certainly not Wheeler or Ellerbe. Grimes..yes. Clabo...yes....but they are the ones who played well.

The
> coaches are dropping the ball by not being able to
> coach them into playing as a unit. It IS NOT
> Ireland's job to get them to play as a unit and,
> it is unrealistic to expect him to hire players
> that have played together previously.

That is true but the players he brought in that have not been playing well are not the former PB players unless you are referring to McKinnie but he is far removed from PB caliber. He only went once (in 12 years) and that was 5 years ago.

It sounds as if you are referring to the o-line but what Ireland has done is draft poor players that have either not contributed at all or just played poorly AND ignored the position even though there was evidence that the exisxting players may struggle. MArtin and Jerry have both played poorly and had their own issues at times. Dallas Thomas was a no-show.

Pouncey was fine. Incog was fine and Clabo turned out to be fine after 7 games. You can't expect Clabo to just be "plug and play" in a new scheme. He has never played in a zone blocking offense.

Ireland ignored Martin's issues and even though he attempted to replace him he finally gave in and just put it on the coaches to turn a piece of coal into a diamond. Why did he pursue Jake Long and Branden Albert if he didn't have quesitons about Martin playing LT?

> I agree that Ireland SHOULD be fired but, just for
> hiring Philbin.
> My opinion of course.

That's the least of his bad decisions. Where is the 2013 draft class? Where are the star players? Hell, even just consistent players? Why does he treat everyone like he is better than everyone? Why does he stick his foot in his mouth all the time?

You can't expect 5 o-linemen to play as one when 2 or 3 just aren't quality players.

Jerry struggled for years but no replacement. He knew Incog was a head case. He knew Martin was not tough or strong enough or good enough....so what did he do about it? Sign two high priced, unproved LB'ers in an attempt to fix what wasn't broken. Hmmmmm confused smiley

Date: January 06, 2014 09:13AM

Philbin is safe...we can safely conclude that now.

HOWEVER...Ireland is still TBD.

Date: January 06, 2014 09:16AM

You can conclude it. ANYTHING still can happen.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: January 06, 2014 10:41AM

In my opinion, Ireland is ultimately responsible for the epic failure of the offensive line because going into this season, it was a well known fact to even the most casual fan that the line was going to be a major problem. Add to that the fact that everyone knew that Tannehill had a penchant for holding the ball too long. Ireland's solution? He signs Clabo (journeyman tackle who'd made a pro bowl once in his career 3 years ago), Lance Louis who was coming off a major surgery, drafts Dallas Thomas (who barely saw the field), signs Danny Watkins (a former Eagle bust), and signs two undrafted rookies in Sam Brenner and Chris Barker (at least Brenner had a start). Then in desperation move, he trades for Bryant McKinnie because the guy he took in the 2nd round a year ago stunk so bad he had to run home to Mommy and Daddy. Honestly, I know for a fact that a reasonably intelligent chimpanzee would have been at least as good a GM as Ireland. If that kind of work product is acceptable to Stephen Ross, I want to work for him. I could put in a one hour work week, perform at a half ass level, alienate all of my fellow workers and clients, and still remain employed. Ireland should be frog marched out of the Dolphins offices, handed a restraining order requiring him to stay at least 10 miles away from Sun Life Stadium, and his old office should be fumigated and maybe exorcised by a priest to rid it of the moronic, idiotic decision making that took place there the last 6 years.

Date: January 06, 2014 10:47AM

so you're saying you don't like Ireland?

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.