HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I expect major changes
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
I expect major changes
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: December 30, 2013 03:43AM

If Ross is a man of passion then he can't be happy with these results from a team of under achievers. I believe Ross will start fresh, and begin to replace what clearly did not work. I have too believe that if you invest a billion dollars you want to get results for it. I only hope he makes the right decisions this time. The Dolphins are his toy, and he can do to them what he wants within reason I suppose. What do you guys think will happen? I say he cans everybody, and starts with a whole clean slate. After yesterday that's not a bad idea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I expect major changes
Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: December 30, 2013 03:44AM

I see Philpin staying, but Sherman has got to go

Also there needs to be open competition at QB

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 30, 2013 09:45AM

I don't know, Finshady. I don't have a sense of Ross except that he is a businessman. I was encouraged by the report yesterday that said he was upset and didn't want to make any decisions while he was upset.

During bullygate, he praised Philbin.

But the key is you fans in Miami, particularly AT THE STADIUM DURING THE GAME. Even fans talking on TV would not mean a crap to me if I were the owner.

But if the fans AT THE STADIUM DURING THE GAME started to boo the performance of the team like they do WITH THE REDSKINS AT THEIR STADIUM or with the JETS AT THEIR STADIUM, then I would hold the head coach responsible.

My assessment: Ireland: If he is involved in bullygate, then Ross will fire him.

Philbin: I have no idea what Ross will do.

Sherman: He will ask Philbin to do it and then ???

but he botched the last attempt to hire a coach and if he intends to replace Philbin, it would take time for behind the scenes negotiations to work.

The problem is that Ross is too loose with his mouth. He shouldn't have said what he said after bullygate that he liked Philbin personally and that Philbin was an affable man. Either that statement trapped him or he will be shown as a Brutus if he fires Philbin.

Date: December 30, 2013 11:07AM

Hey man somebody has got to be held into account of this mucked up season. You regressed as far as adding talent, and the talent you did add did not stay healthy. So let the heads roll dammit.

Date: December 30, 2013 11:18AM

I'm not arguing with you Finshady, just saying that I don't know whether Ross sees it the same way you and I do.

Date: December 30, 2013 12:29PM

right on brotha however why does this team always find away to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Posted by: jimmmyd3 ()
Date: December 30, 2013 12:36PM

fire Sherman and Coyle , hire Kubiak for OC and promote Lou Anarumo to DC

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 30, 2013 03:02PM

Finshady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If Ross is a man of passion then he can't be happy
> with these results from a team of under achievers.
> I believe Ross will start fresh, and begin to
> replace what clearly did not work. I have too
> believe that if you invest a billion dollars you
> want to get results for it. I only hope he makes
> the right decisions this time. The Dolphins are
> his toy, and he can do to them what he wants
> within reason I suppose. What do you guys think
> will happen? I say he cans everybody, and starts
> with a whole clean slate. After yesterday that's
> not a bad idea.

Really hard to say, Fin, but according to Crowder, Ross has been talking to Marino. If I were Ross, I would also be on the phone with Shula and JJ and anyone else that has been in the league for a long time, to see what route he (Ross) should take. Can't just fire for the sake of firing; a lot goes into it, i.e., with a change in philosophy, how long will it take for the team to get back on its winning ways, player fitting the schemes, etc....

Date: December 30, 2013 04:38PM

Date: December 31, 2013 04:48PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Can't just fire for the sake of firing; a lot goes
> into it, i.e., with a change in philosophy, how
> long will it take for the team to get back on its
> winning ways, player fitting the schemes, etc....
>
> That seems to be indisputable Cap until you think
> about how we win on a winning spree after
> bullygate all to crap out in the last two games.
> So that might suggest that it might not be that
> hard for a new coach to come in and simply not
> lose the games that we were SUPPOSED to win.
>
> Had we done that, we'd be in the playoffs.

But what I was getting at, Chryen, is that it is pretty scary to hire a whole new coaching staff and they come in with different offensive and defensive philosophies. Now the players have to learn a new playbook, and that takes time. As we have seen in the past, it takes a couple of years (if not more) for everything to smooth itself out. Quite often, ownership doesn't give the coaching staff that kind of time.

If Ross can hire a HC that has a similar philosophy as the previous coach, then the transition will be much easier, with possibly a good outcome.

But again, as I have stated before, if this coaching staff remains, then some tweaking on both the personnel and playbook side must take place, as this year's team, on the whole (not counting the last two games) did pretty well.

Date: December 31, 2013 05:14PM

Cap, Well obviously it is impossible to know which of us is more correct. That's right "more" correct because obviously you are correct if you get rid of the head coach, you are bringing in a whole new system and there will be a need for time to adjust.

of course, the flip side of it, which I am stating is that if you are really dealing with a bad group of managers (something I'm guessing and you are not sure of) then all you are doing is condemning the team to an additional year or two of it only to conclude what you expected in the first place,,,,that they are bad.

Ross has to make the decision and I am awaiting to see what he does.

Date: January 01, 2014 09:41AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Cap, Well obviously it is impossible to know which
> of us is more correct. That's right "more"
> correct because obviously you are correct if you
> get rid of the head coach, you are bringing in a
> whole new system and there will be a need for time
> to adjust.
>
> of course, the flip side of it, which I am stating
> is that if you are really dealing with a bad group
> of managers (something I'm guessing and you are
> not sure of) then all you are doing is condemning
> the team to an additional year or two of it only
> to conclude what you expected in the first
> place,,,,that they are bad.
>
> Ross has to make the decision and I am awaiting to
> see what he does.

Chryen, both our views are pretty much correct.

Again, as I mentioned on a different post, I hope Ross has some experts guiding him through this mess. He needs to get all the information he can before making a decision, but...

He had better make a decision quickly, as there are four other teams ahead of him (so far).

Over the last few years, these owners have been going with the "hot" coordinators and college coaches, and the majority of the time, they fail.

I have a hard time understanding how someone like Brian Billick, Mangini, etc., are not even interviewed. BTW, Mike Shanahan is available.

Date: January 01, 2014 10:29AM

Great point!!!!!

I hadn't thought of that. There are four teams in the market now and if the most promising fruit gets picked first.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 01, 2014 05:11PM

Former Cal coach Jeff Tedford will be Tampa Bay Bucs OC under Coach Lovie Smith @ClaytonESPN reports

Hope Ross doesn't wait too long and lose out on someone good.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: January 01, 2014 06:35PM

errrr...Tedford? says the Cal Grad who has been screaming for Philbin's head.....errrr...are you sure we have to go that far?

Oh you mean for OC? Still....Tedford????

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: January 01, 2014 07:03PM

captkoi Wrote:
> If Ross can hire a HC that has a similar
> philosophy as the previous coach, then the
> transition will be much easier, with possibly a
> good outcome.

This is what should have happened before, but Ross made the dumb mistake of hiring Philbin who wanted to change everything.

Miami had a very good run defense; they just needed to upgrade the secondary and maybe add a LB. Offense needed a QB, #1 WR, seam threat TE, power RB, and upgrades to the o-line.

Get better coaching, and in the first year add QB, WR, CB, and OL. That would be a great start, and there should be no drop off in play... probably an improvement. This is what should have been done.

But, in comes Philbin with his "dynamic, explosive, high-scoring" offense. Philbin's scheme changes ruined the run defense, defense consistently allows 3rd and long, neutered the run game (he prefers short passes instead of the run), ditched Polite and the FB position (no more automatic 1st downs) and now they struggle on 3rd and inches. The o-line was terrible. O-linemen who were somewhat half-decent enough under the old regime now could no longer pass or run block. Why? Change in blocking schemes by Philbin. Fasano was a big part of the offense with his blocking, but he's gone. Offense has been shut out for long periods nearly every game, and scored just 7 points in the last 8 quarters with a playoff spot on the line.

Please replace Philbin and his pathetic offensive/defensive schemes before he totally wrecks this team!

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: January 02, 2014 03:29AM

Not a fan of what is going on on defense.

I don't mind the offense scheme, just that the play calling is bizarre and predictable.

I would run everything out of the shotgun in the current offense.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 02, 2014 03:35AM

Really?

Play Action: 109.6 QB rating
Non play action: 76.6 QB rating

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.