HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Why Brenner?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why Brenner?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 13, 2013 10:39AM

I haven't seen this addressed anywhere (if you know of an article on this subject, please let me know) and I'm really curious. At the time the Dolphins promoted Sam Brenner from the practice squad and made him the starting left guard, there were two veteran and one rookie draft pick o-lineman on the active roster. All are listed as guards and all are slightly heavier and taller than Brenner. One of the vets had three years experience, the other had two. Why take up two spots on the active roster for guys who will be superseded by the promotion of a guy on the practice squad? Why was Brenner on the practice squad and not the active roster? The rookie draft pick I guess I can understand, although he is eligible for the practice squad the coaches might want to protect him, but the presence of the others baffles me.
It appears that Brenner was the right choice for the job, however. He's getting the job done, and McKinnie says he likes playing next to Brenner. Good thing no other team poached him from us.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why Brenner?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 13, 2013 11:03AM

Ask eesti and holic.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 13, 2013 11:12AM

Date: December 13, 2013 11:38AM

Appears to indicate confusion as to what the coaches are thinking from what I see.

Date: December 13, 2013 11:42AM

Soooooo, how could myself or eesi explain this?

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 13, 2013 11:57AM

the two guys currently on the roster probably didnt do well in practice.

So they brought in brenner from the practice squad and he worked out well for us.

I bet you they will not put brenner in the practice squad anymore.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 13, 2013 11:58AM

brought in brenner from the practice squad out of desperation and he just happened to blend in with the rest of the OLine players.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 13, 2013 12:00PM

Brenner has better feet, and his pulling ability has been brought up as one of the reasons... This has also been brought up to as why our running game has been better. Brenner fits the run system even better then Garner and they are pretty equal in pass protection which is why Brenner is starting over Garner now...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: December 13, 2013 12:08PM

Also Philbin said that Brenner got noticed because he was playing on the scout team each week and holding his own against our starters.. Scout team guys aren't suppose to stand out against our starters, but Brenner did... So that is why or how they got the idea he might work leap frogging from scout team into the starting lineup.....

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 13, 2013 12:13PM

The development squad is just that allow playes time to develop. Its good to see it worked out for us for once.

Date: December 13, 2013 01:09PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Soooooo, how could myself or eesi explain this?

I figure that you guys could explain the coaching better than a guy who blames Philbin for the breakdown of Western Civilization (and the assassination of JFK winking smiley ).

Date: December 13, 2013 01:28PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> dolphaholic Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Soooooo, how could myself or eesi explain this?
>
> I figure that you guys could explain the coaching
> better than a guy who blames Philbin for the
> breakdown of Western Civilization (and the
> assassination of JFK winking smiley ).

I'll give it the ole college try, Dallas Thomas is not that good right now, but exposing a 3rd rnd pick on the practice squad is risky, plus I believe he's being groomed as a Tackle more than a guard, and Watkins is probably not practice squad eligible depending on his playing time in his previous stop. Not sure who the 3rd OG was that Rick refered to?

It makes sense that Brenner could fly under the radar on the PS more than Thomas, it's only inept if Philbin and CO knew Brenner was starting marterial and left him on the PS, I doubt that was the case, or he would of been promoted sooner.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 13, 2013 01:36PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> -----
> > dolphaholic Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Soooooo, how could myself or eesi explain
> this?
> >
> > I figure that you guys could explain the
> coaching
> > better than a guy who blames Philbin for the
> > breakdown of Western Civilization (and the
> > assassination of JFK winking smiley ).
>
> I'll give it the ole college try, Dallas Thomas is
> not that good right now, but exposing a 3rd rnd
> pick on the practice squad is risky, plus I
> believe he's being groomed as a Tackle more than a
> guard, and Watkins is probably not practice squad
> eligible depending on his playing time in his
> previous stop. Not sure who the 3rd OG was that
> Rick refered to?
>
> It makes sense that Brenner could fly under the
> radar on the PS more than Thomas, it's only inept
> if Philbin and CO knew Brenner was starting
> marterial and left him on the PS, I doubt that was
> the case, or he would of been promoted sooner.

Funny thing is that we here on the board have been complaining about the OL from early on and questioning why Philbin wouldn't make changes.

Well, the guys that are now starting have been there right under Philbin's nose and now that he was forced to put these guys in, the line has been playing much better.

Granted, Clabo was one of the guys all of us were looking to get replaced, but since his benching, he has played well.

Why Philbin was so damn stubborn I haven't a clue.

Date: December 13, 2013 02:13PM

I honestly think that Martin and/or Incog was killing the cohesion on the line, plus Mckinne has made a huge difference.

Date: December 13, 2013 02:22PM

The oline is playing well. I to think the players are relived that the distractions of Incog and Martin are gone. They are playing harder. It reminds me of the games we plaed after Sporano was fired. The tam played hard then too.

The women on the board continue to discuss why philbin had Brenner on the ps squad and such. Who cares maybe the guy took time too learn the system and develop. He was rated as a f/a coming out of college but I also read soomewhere that his dad was a marine. Maybe that provided some inner strenght or something. As for Thomas I hope the guy develops, he has had to learn several positions while Brenner always had the luxury of focusing on guard. Things like that are to difficult for the ladies on the board to figure out.

Date: December 13, 2013 02:25PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> I honestly think that Martin and/or Incog was
> killing the cohesion on the line, plus Mckinne has
> made a huge difference.

I agree, first off Martin sucked, and Incognito was a power guy , having a more agile guy playing LG seems to have helped as well. As people have said Incognito seems to fit the body and style of a RG more then a LG, who is pulling and moving around...

Nietzsche

Date: December 13, 2013 02:34PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> The oline is playing well. I to think the players
> are relived that the distractions of Incog and
> Martin are gone. They are playing harder. It
> reminds me of the games we plaed after Sporano was
> fired. The tam played hard then too.
>
> The women on the board continue to discuss why
> philbin had Brenner on the ps squad and such. Who
> cares maybe the guy took time too learn the system
> and develop. He was rated as a f/a coming out of
> college but I also read soomewhere that his dad
> was a marine. Maybe that provided some inner
> strenght or something. As for Thomas I hope the
> guy develops, he has had to learn several
> positions while Brenner always had the luxury of
> focusing on guard. Things like that are to
> difficult for the ladies on the board to figure
> out.

exactly, he was an undrafted FA, rookie learning the system.... Who as a practice squad player was also learning the opposing offense's playbook each week, to help our starting defense be ready for each opposing teams style from week to week... In that role, he was holding his own against our pretty strong starting Dline.. He became noticed, also his ability to learn new plays, outside his comfort level each week and execute at a high level.... So they threw him in, and it worked... That is good coaching, and good realization of his potential to have him leapfrog to become a starter... That is not mis identifying a player and his talent, that is identifying it...

Nietzsche

Date: December 14, 2013 12:25PM

66 David Arkin G 6-5 310 2yr a FA out of Missouri State-

is the second vet I was referring to. I do know that he was on the roster when Brenner was promoted, but I don't know anything else- not when he was signed, what team we got him from, or his experience.

Rick

Date: December 14, 2013 01:12PM

Not one single intelligent answer. I think its great that Brenner got identified as starting material, but if a guy on the practice squad gets the job, what does that say about the backup guys on the active roster? Aren't they there to back up the starters? If a guy on the practice squad can do the job better why are those other guys still here?

Rick

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: December 14, 2013 01:24PM

Possibly he was a better fit with McKinney whom we traded for around week 9 of the season.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 14, 2013 04:39PM

And then there is this...sometimes when players get put into the starting job things just click for them...

Players sometimes just emerge out of no where.

Posted by: LUDUPORCU ()
Date: December 15, 2013 05:20AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> dolphaholic Wrote:
> -----
> > I honestly think that Martin and/or Incog was
> > killing the cohesion on the line, plus Mckinne
> has
> > made a huge difference.
>
>
> I agree, first off Martin sucked, and Incognito
> was a power guy , having a more agile guy playing
> LG seems to have helped as well. As people have
> said Incognito seems to fit the body and style of
> a RG more then a LG, who is pulling and moving
> around...

INCOGNITO came to MIAMI as a RG, but back then, I recall reading that he agreed to try playing the LG position, because JERRY never played the left side, and couldn't handle playing the left side. I doubt that INCOGNITO would have a lot of trouble playing the RG position again, assuming that he ever holds ANY job here again, including Men's Room Attendant.

Date: December 15, 2013 05:55AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> Not one single intelligent answer. I think its
> great that Brenner got identified as starting
> material, but if a guy on the practice squad gets
> the job, what does that say about the backup guys
> on the active roster? Aren't they there to back up
> the starters? If a guy on the practice squad can
> do the job better why are those other guys still
> here?

I think you are missing it, you need to see the forest among the trees...
Let me tell you a story and bring you back one year... Last year people were bitching and questioning much in the same way, as to Olivier Vernon....
People said Vernon was a horrible pick because this undrafted free agent named Derrick Shelby was getting snaps and more impact then Vernon who was drafted in the 3rd rd last year... Shelby came out of the gates better then OV... People even called OV a bust.... Lets fast forward one year later, different story... Did Shelby playing well early and leap frogging Vernon at the time mean Vernon was a bust, or that our coaches or GM somehow blew it?

Just the same, Brenner playing well is not an indictment of the others, it is an endorsement of himself...

To tell everyone they didn't give any intelligent answers, when you yourself can't identify some of the obvious, any other way then you are is a bit off my friend.... Sharpen up before throwing criticism of others around here... It doesn't wear well....

Nietzsche

Date: December 15, 2013 07:42AM

I think you are missing it. OV and Derrick Shelby were both on the active roster at that time. BIG difference. If I hurt your feelings, you're too sensitive. I'm not criticizing anyone on this board, I want to know why the coaches had a potential starter on the practice squad and two vets on the active roster that they didn't have enough confidence in to do their jobs. I haven't gotten an acceptable answer yet. Salguero came closest, but still didn't explain this.

Rick

Date: December 15, 2013 07:44AM

Some people just don't get it. Brenner walked in here as a starter and the coaches put him on the PS out of stupidity. Development had nothing to do with anything. Jerry can not play the left side he is the only olineman that started at 4/5 positions. He is probably our most versatile as well as maligned olineman.

Date: December 16, 2013 11:42AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> I think you are missing it. OV and Derrick Shelby
> were both on the active roster at that time. BIG
> difference. If I hurt your feelings, you're too
> sensitive. I'm not criticizing anyone on this
> board, I want to know why the coaches had a
> potential starter on the practice squad and two
> vets on the active roster that they didn't have
> enough confidence in to do their jobs. I haven't
> gotten an acceptable answer yet. Salguero came
> closest, but still didn't explain this.

No offense taken, I am just not sure what answer you are looking for, I have seen plenty of good answers but I guess you don't seem to acknowledge them.... Not sure what to tell you... Some players come out of the gate better then others... But that doesn't mean they will finish better... Some times the turtle beats the hare when it is all said and done... Much like OV overtaking Shelby this year, when last year Shelby was ahead of OV...

Nietzsche

Date: December 16, 2013 06:51PM

An undrafted rookie walked in here as a starter? I don't think so. But I'm just going to drop the whole thing, nobody seems to think this is odd.

Rick

Posted by: LUDUPORCU ()
Date: December 16, 2013 08:51PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Brenner has better feet, and his pulling ability
> has been brought up as one of the reasons... This
> has also been brought up to as why our running
> game has been better. Brenner fits the run system
> even better then Garner and they are pretty equal
> in pass protection which is why Brenner is
> starting over Garner now...

You're forgetting that for the 2 weeks that POUNCEY was out sick, GARNER played C, and he did rather well. GARNER's some kind of genius, and he can play every position on the O-L except LT (he didn't do that well at LT a few years back).

It's mind-boggling that you can be too valuable to start...but there it is, MIAMI's Mr. GARNER.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2013 09:02PM by LUDUPORCU.

Date: December 17, 2013 01:38AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> An undrafted rookie walked in here as a starter? I
> don't think so. But I'm just going to drop the
> whole thing, nobody seems to think this is odd.

What exactly are you looking for Rick? Can't you just be happy we got a starter quality lineman off the streets? You think Pats fans were pissed because Belicheck didn't draft Brady higher after seeing how good he's become? Finding talent in the NFL is an inexact science, sometimes you overpay.....sometimes you under pay

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 17, 2013 04:56AM

Some will never be happy unless we spend all high round picks and all available free agent money on O-Line. Ignoring the fact that 5 All-Pros who don't complement each other and have no cohesiveness will serve their team worse than 5 'guys off the street' who DO compliment each other and play as a unit.
Could our O-line be better? Sure. So could the running backs, receivers, pass rushers, secondary and...dare I say it...even the QB (although the last two weeks have been pretty damn impressive in that area thumbs up ) But fact is, they are playing well enough to have won three pretty big games

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.