HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          PTSD
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
PTSD
Posted by: sickofit ()
Date: November 14, 2013 02:52PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PTSD
Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 03:44PM

Imagine him in the war? Lol. He would break

Posted by: sickofit ()
Date: November 14, 2013 03:58PM

people are outraged this guy is claiming PTSD from being bullied

are u kidding me?

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:12PM

The more that comes out, the more I believe that he was a locker room cancer. You don't have to be a jerk to ruin a team...you can be a piece of sh!t coward and do just as much damage.

Good riddance.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 14, 2013 05:30PM

There is a widespread misconception among the masses about PTSD or "shell shock" as it used to be called. The truth about it is that its not soley the a result of being in a combat situation or serious trauma.

It is in fact, a possible result of an idividuals inability to deal with trauma, any trauma. You could get it from something as simple as someone scaring you or from seeing an insect that you are scared of.

Many people suffer from it, few understand it, or the stigma associated with it. The stigma is mostly negative...which simply makes it worse due to individuals not seeking treatment/ignoring it, taking/not taking required meds or self-medicating.

Martin could have PTSD as a result of being bullied...we can call him soft or a coward or whatever, but we are not inside of his head and don't know how he deals with problems/stressors.

Manning up, sucking it up, or whatever we choose to call it may have been tried by him and he failed...resulting in exacerbating his trauma due to stigma.

We just don't have the facts to say one way or another.

My personal opinion on the matter is, that his parents, teachers, coaches, and friends throughout is life, coddled him. Resulting in him not having been exposed to these things as a child. Hence he never developed strong coping skills/thickened skin...resulting in his issues being intensified later in life once exposed to adversity...JMO though and it does not mean that PTSD is not involved because it very well could be.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 14, 2013 05:59PM

He maybe experiencing symptoms associated with PTS but the D isn't in it. The D is the disorder part and is part of the diagnosis.

People who face a sudden life threatening experience, or a bad situation, and I mean bad, can experience symptoms associated with a PTSD diagnosis.

Example: the rescuers from 9/11. Another example: the people on the street witnessing the planes flying into the towers or the collapse of the towers.

These events are so shocking it effects you senses, your state of mind. Those frightening moments can change you forever.

The question becomes, IMO, with Martin is how egregious, how shocking, how frightening was the locker room experience that effected his senses, his state of mind that he could no longer function.

My guess, and I'm no shrink, is that the locker room was a hostile environment for him and he was unable to cope.

Lots of young men (and women) enter the military and find that the rigors are too great, not just physically but mentally, and they wash out. I'm certain there is another mental health diagnosis that fits Martin rather than PTS or PTSD. It appears to me that Martin simply washed out. Going to another team will not change things for him.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: November 15, 2013 04:45AM

They should have left him alone and just let him play. I always thought LT was more a finese position

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 16, 2013 05:31PM

He's at the Stanford USC game as I type. He smiled and declined to comment.

Wow! They just showed him again! In the stands, smiling and texting.

I guess he was there to counteract Matt Leinart, now a free agent who let the Trojans on to the field.

Now if we REALLLYYYY want a POCKET quarterback..............

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 16, 2013 06:32PM

how much are the dolphins paying him to spend Sat night at a college FB game while his team is preparing to play Sun (and probably lose and get their QB sacked 10 times). Sickening. If anyone doesn't see this whole thing as a shakedown I got a bridge to sell you. Any other player who walked out would be on unpaid leave if not worse. But J Mart and his team of mommy and daddy and lawyers have the phins scared to do anything so he takes up a roster spot on the 53 man and gets full salary week in and week out. If they had any balls they'd put him on the NFI and make him chase the $$. But they do not.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: November 16, 2013 07:07PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how much are the dolphins paying him to spend Sat
> night at a college FB game while his team is
> preparing to play Sun (and probably lose and get
> their QB sacked 10 times). Sickening. If anyone
> doesn't see this whole thing as a shakedown I got
> a bridge to sell you. Any other player who walked
> out would be on unpaid leave if not worse. But J
> Mart and his team of mommy and daddy and lawyers
> have the phins scared to do anything so he takes
> up a roster spot on the 53 man and gets full
> salary week in and week out. If they had any balls
> they'd put him on the NFI and make him chase the
> $$. But they do not.

I saw him and thought the same f'ing thing. Douchebag

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 16, 2013 07:55PM

Martin's made it clear that he wants to play for another NFL team. Sorry, dude. That ship has sailed and is in mid ocean now while you're still standing on the dock.

On the other hand, Richie might....might....might....might play again, either for the Dolphins or another team but he's gotta admit he's Gay and that it was a lovers quarrel.

Then it might be tough but at least there is a chance. But it if plays out as a straight bullying thing, my favorite player, the ole ankle biter, just has too many past transgressions on his resume to be given another chance.

Posted by: fiedlerhater ()
Date: November 17, 2013 05:45AM

this whole team makes me want to puke. I wish i knew where half of these mangina's lived so i could go bitch slap them all. I have never in my life seen suck a group of underachieving overpaid sissy bitches in my life and that includes that jack ass of a gutless coach philbin as well. what ever happened to pride and being a man and doing your job?? PTSD?? are you freaking kidding me? The best part of this guy never made it in the canal you sissy ass shit. He cant play ball he is terrible and obviously is trying to cash in a settlement so he can retire. He probably is looking for a loose carpet to trip on. Next in line to the sissy world is wallace. Dude can u catch a ball and not get knocked down by the wind?? Jesus i thought Ted Ginn took dives. Wallace makes Greg Louganis look bad. What a damn joke. Forget the Union crap Mr. Ross find a set of balls in your wifes pocket book and fire some of the ass clowns cuz your season is over already and it really makes no difference who is on the sideline of not. Make a Change please. And to all i am sorry for my rant and hope i have not offended anyone that posts but maybe there freaking play is causing me to have PTSD....

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 17, 2013 06:32AM

This team gives me PTSD. Who wants in on my lawsuit ?

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: November 17, 2013 06:35AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This team gives me PTSD. Who wants in on my
> lawsuit ?

thumbs up

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 17, 2013 07:31AM

he's a product of the "everyone gets trophies" era.

there is no difference between first and last. these kids have no fire to be the best because they were taught not to offend someone by winning.

my 12 yr old son is going to a baseball team party today. every one of them will get a trophy for finishing 3rd. they tried hard. they deserve a trophy!

it's our watered down version of competition these days. can't hurt someones feelings. give them all a medal or trophy even if they sucked out loud.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.