HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The art of picking a new coach
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The art of picking a new coach
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:45AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The art of picking a new coach
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:59AM

Let's see. Since we FINALLY got rid of Wanny we've had:

1. A highly sought after college coach (Saban)

2. A former offensive coordinator and, supposed, offensive-minded coach (Cam)

3. A former position coach with a firey disposition (Sparano)

4. A former position coach from a Superbowl chapmion team (Philbin)

In each case we were all optimistic at first. I agree...I have NO IDEA.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: November 14, 2013 05:53AM

It all starts with a President/GM. Ozzie newsome won a SB with two different coaches because he knew how to identify star players.

Put enough talent around a coach and make him look like a genius. Just look at Barry Switzer.

Cowher had great players and it took him many years to win a SB. He didn't get their until his GM found a QB.

I am still confident in Tannehill but any fool can see that you can't be successful with a GLARING weakness that teams can exploit. Last year it was WR/DB and this year it is the offensive line.

No way in hell we should have been signing FA LB's to huge contracts when we had so many glaring holes on the line.

It wouldn't even bother me to just find a new GM/Pres and keep Philbin. I just don't think he has the balls to tell Sherman what to do so the new GM would have to lay down the law and tell Philbin to fire Sherman and find someone who can implement a logical game plane.

Surprisingly enough...as bad as our offense has been, our passing game is still decently rated...even with the drops and sacks.

Changing offensive schemes will not help Tannehill to continue his development. We need to stay in the WCO IMO.

A good personnel guy would know who to get rid of and who to keep as well as find a few stars in the draft.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2013 05:57AM by eesti.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 06:01AM

The last time we won a division title it was under Sparano, The time before that it was under Wanny. You just never know.
Personally, I want to see a young guy with previous HC experience IN THE NFL. Somebody who may not have succeeded yet but, hopefully has learned from past mistakes and is hungry for another shot. Maybe a Josh McDaniels, Jason Garrett type. Someone that when his name is announced the players don't go "Who?"
No college HC. The success rate is just too low.
With Philbin, it always bothered me that he didn't call the plays in GB. That should have been a red flag from the get go. Let's not do that again.
I loved Cowher's intensity in his prime, grabbing a 300 pound lineman by the facemask to get his attention and getting his point across yelling with spit flying out of his mouth. My kind of head coach.
I would love Chuckie IF he really wanted to coach again.

The Clown Show Continues

-

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: November 14, 2013 06:05AM

I would take Chuckie in a heart beat! Say what you will about him but he took his new team to the SB in a years time to play the team he built the year before.

Hell no to Josh Daniels and to college coaches.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:25AM

cowher wouldn't be allowed to do that in today's nfl.

I believe that would be considered harassment.

As to your question, i'd stick with philbin and fire Ireland and both coordinators along with the oline coach.

I really do think there's a power struggle between Ireland and philbin.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 14, 2013 10:16AM

Date: November 14, 2013 10:33AM

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 10:46AM

I would lure bellacheat here with a huge $$$$ amount

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 10:58AM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I really do think there's a power struggle between
> Ireland and philbin.

chren wrotE:I disagree. I think they are Siamese twins.

The both stink the same...so they probably are

Date: November 15, 2013 04:33AM

your hatred of philbin is noted, Chryen.

so in today's nfl first time HCs get 2 years to turn around a mess created the last 5 years by the current gm.

do you guys really think with the national attention we've received we're going to lure anyone with any salt to take over this franchise?

and if we do do they get more than 2 years?

the reason this team has sucked the last decade and more is because we turn over the staff on average every 3 years.

Date: November 15, 2013 04:42AM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 15, 2013 06:09AM

Sean Payton was no great shakes as a coordinator before her got the Saints job. I remember he had his playcalling duties taken away from him by Parcells because the offense sucked. The Saints didn't "attract" him, frankly he was no more of a "star" hire than Philbin. As for Brees, the Saints were his second choice, to us, and he went there after we moronically decided to trade a 2d round pick for Culpepper and his 2 knee ligaments. Not coicidentally, when Brees began playing at a Hall of Fame level, Payton suddently because a genius.

Date: November 15, 2013 07:24AM

I remember that differently then berk, I remember Payton being the hot young co-ordinator that everyone was after, not saying i'm right, but that's the way I remember it.

Date: November 15, 2013 10:33AM

peyton ='ed philbin when he was hired

he was a hot coordinator until he was stripped of his playcalling duties.

Date: November 15, 2013 11:05AM

And in addition to what holic said, Jsm08, by your logic we should have given more time to Sparano, or Wanny, or Cam, or Saban.

Date: November 15, 2013 12:57PM

sparano got 4 years as I think wanny did. cam and meuller were jokes and were shown the door by parcells.

wanny took a good team and ran it into the ground.

sparano had a good first year and went backwards every year.

Cameron is a college oc now.

The constant through sparano and now philbin is Ireland. He's had what? 6 drafts?

in those six drafts can you name 5 impact players?

Date: November 15, 2013 01:33PM

But the point is that you want to hang on to Philbin, just because some other coach might not want to come here because of the carousel of coaches.

Under that same logic, we should have hung on to cam and Wanny and Sparano.

You have not rebutted my point, you have only proved it by showing that we did have who EVEN YOU consider to be bad coaches and should have been shown the door as they were.

Now you come to Philbin and say that we should hold on to him.

If you say it is because you like him, I respect your position as being yours.

But if NOT, then how can you on one hand say hang on to coaches, even bad ones, just because we don't want to be known as a turnstile for coaches where no good coach would want to come, and then CONCEDE as you do now, that we've had coaches in the past that we ACTUALLY SHOULD HAVE gotten rid of. It's simply illogical.

Date: November 16, 2013 03:15AM

I want to hang on to philbin because I like his demeaner and think he can be a good coach.

I think Ireland is the problem.

Date: November 16, 2013 03:41AM

Canning Ireland and keeping Philbin is a recipe for disaster IMO, one, it'll be nearly impossible to attract a GM worth his salt if you saddle him with a HC he doesn't get to pick (see NY Jets last off-season), two, Philbin hasn't really shown much to this point to think he can change, and three, his staff is lackluster at best. I don't see Philbin having the spine to can his one time mentor Sherman

It's best if Ross just cleans house and goes after the best GM candidate available and let him bring in the coach he wants, or go all in on Chuckie

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 18, 2013 12:14PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But the point is that you want to hang on to
> Philbin, just because some other coach might not
> want to come here because of the carousel of
> coaches.
>
> Under that same logic, we should have hung on to
> cam and Wanny and Sparano.
>
> You have not rebutted my point, you have only
> proved it by showing that we did have who EVEN YOU
> consider to be bad coaches and should have been
> shown the door as they were.
>
> Now you come to Philbin and say that we should
> hold on to him.
>
> If you say it is because you like him, I respect
> your position as being yours.
>
> But if NOT, then how can you on one hand say hang
> on to coaches, even bad ones, just because we
> don't want to be known as a turnstile for coaches
> where no good coach would want to come, and then
> CONCEDE as you do now, that we've had coaches in
> the past that we ACTUALLY SHOULD HAVE gotten rid
> of. It's simply illogical.

The only coaches who would not want to take the Miami job are the coaches who have better offers.

Any young coach who wishes to be an NFL head coach would take the job....money, power, etc. Naturally, all who apply for the job would want reassurances about what has been going on in Miami and how much power they would have in certain matters.

It's up to Ross and whomever else he has in the hiring positions to pick the right one.

As far as Philbin or any other coach, the majority have to be given a fair chance at turning a franchise around. This is Philbin's second year at the helm. He hasn't done a "terrible" job, but he sure in hell can improve in a lot of areas. The question is, can he? If he is as stubborn as he seems to be, I would answer no. But, there have been a lot of stubborn coaches who have changed as time went on (Coughlin is one). Much, of course, will depend upon the final results of this investigation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.