HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ross press conference
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ross press conference
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: November 11, 2013 01:22PM

Its hard to not notice the outstanding vocal support Ross showed for Philbin and the lack of vocal support for Ireland... So far Ireland hasn't been mentioned once.... almost like he has moved past that decision already... Ross has a committee he brought together to improve the organization, which consist of Jason Taylor, Dan Marino, Tony Dungy, Curtis Martin and Don Shula...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 01:38PM by Crowder52.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ross press conference
Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: November 11, 2013 01:32PM

Noticed that as well. Ireland is done

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 11, 2013 01:54PM

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: November 11, 2013 02:17PM

It really all depends on how this team finishes.

Below .500, he's gone. 9-7, 50-50. 10-6 or better, he stays.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 11, 2013 02:24PM

I find it odd how effusive he was in praising Philbin. If as they keep saying they don't know the facts, how can he conclude Philbin is blameless? And how come they suspended Incog immediately if they "know nothing" at this point? Double standards abound.
I am glad Ireland seems gone, finally, and am not sure if Philbin should keep his job, but it seems Ross always has to have one person he backs 100% (formerly Ireland) no matter what.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: November 11, 2013 02:43PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I find it odd how effusive he was in praising
> Philbin. If as they keep saying they don't know
> the facts, how can he conclude Philbin is
> blameless? And how come they suspended Incog
> immediately if they "know nothing" at this point?
> Double standards abound.

Its not really a double standard.

Incognito got suspended because there was a tape out there of him threatening another player and calling him the N-word.

The suspension wasn't judgement against his guilt or the context surrounding that message. It was a step in the process to limit liability in case the worst was true.

The facts ARE unknown at this time. The NFL investigation will decide what they are.

As for Philbin's guilt or innocence...he either told Incognito to "toughen up" martin or he didn't. That will also be decided by the NFL investigation. But there is no physical evidence in the public sphere that he did "order the code red" and there is absolutely evidence that Incognito said offensive things.

> I am glad Ireland seems gone, finally, and am not
> sure if Philbin should keep his job, but it seems
> Ross always has to have one person he backs 100%
> (formerly Ireland) no matter what.

I'm not sure Ireland has done anything in this saga to merit getting fired other than wasting such a high pick on a player with so many issues. But I agree...I don't think its likely he's back, even if that means a new GM dumps Philbin.

Date: November 11, 2013 02:49PM

From how Ross acted tonight and all of Ireland past baggage as the GM and another mess of a draft pick and the lack of his draft picks this year doing well, Ireland is gone.... I think Philbin stays, I think Marino gets involved in some fashion with the front office as evident by him being on this committee, which shows that Ross has reached out to him, combine that with the fact Ireland is gone..... It should get interesting this offseason.... Ireland will be made the fall guy right or wrong for the bad culture of the organization when he is fired...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: November 11, 2013 02:50PM

apparently "context" is key here and what many expect the investigation to reveal. I agree, Truth, that Incog's message was damning and led to the immediate suspension, but I would say if the facts come out the Martin sent Incog similar texts, and everyone assumed Martin was "in" on the joke because he seemed OK with it and even participated, it would be unfair to suspend Incog without pay based on that text. But I understand that given the media frenzy and the words on the page the team's hand was forced. I guess I am just bothered that everyone (media anyway) assumes Martin is a "victim" because he secretly didn't like what was going on---and that today people's hurt feelings trump everything, even one's own personal responsibility and another person's livelihood

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: November 11, 2013 02:57PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> From how Ross acted tonight and all of Ireland
> past baggage as the GM and another mess of a draft
> pick and the lack of his draft picks this year
> doing well, Ireland is gone.... I think Philbin
> stays, I think Marino gets involved in some
> fashion with the front office as evident by him
> being on this committee, which shows that Ross has
> reached out to him, combine that with the fact
> Ireland is gone..... It should get interesting
> this offseason.... Ireland will be made the fall
> guy right or wrong for the bad culture of the
> organization when he is fired...

I read where Ireland is in Tampa for the game but wasn't at Ross press briefing.

That is certainly NOT a good sign for Ireland at all.

Date: November 11, 2013 03:06PM

Truth- The only chance Ireland has, is if this team wins out and wins some play off games... That could give Ross the one thing he wants and sway him emotionally. Winning and success has a funny way of doing that..... If success in the post season happens Ireland has at best a 50/50 shot, even with overwhelming success on the field of him staying with the team... At this point I give him a 3% chance of not being fired...

Nietzsche

Date: November 11, 2013 03:07PM

Ireland is done. Period. Praise the Lord!!

Date: November 11, 2013 03:13PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> apparently "context" is key here and what many
> expect the investigation to reveal. I agree,
> Truth, that Incog's message was damning and led to
> the immediate suspension, but I would say if the
> facts come out the Martin sent Incog similar
> texts, and everyone assumed Martin was "in" on the
> joke because he seemed OK with it and even
> participated, it would be unfair to suspend Incog
> without pay based on that text. But I understand
> that given the media frenzy and the words on the
> page the team's hand was forced. I guess I am just
> bothered that everyone (media anyway) assumes
> Martin is a "victim" because he secretly didn't
> like what was going on---and that today people's
> hurt feelings trump everything, even one's own
> personal responsibility and another person's
> livelihood

Great post, berk.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: November 11, 2013 04:06PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> Ireland is done. Period. Praise the Lord!!

Ya think?

Date: November 11, 2013 04:07PM

dolfan1 Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Ireland is done. Period. Praise the Lord!!
>
>
> Ya think?

I do!!

Date: November 11, 2013 04:38PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> dolfan1 Wrote:
> -----
> > berkeley223 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Ireland is done. Period. Praise the Lord!!
> >
> >
> > Ya think?
>
> I do!!

When did you get so bright berkeley223? Lol

Date: November 11, 2013 05:33PM

Don't you WANT Ireland gone, dolfan1?

Date: November 11, 2013 05:35PM

dolfan1 Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> -----
> > dolfan1 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > berkeley223 Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Ireland is done. Period. Praise the Lord!!
> > >
> > >
> > > Ya think?
> >
> > I do!!
>
>
> When did you get so bright berkeley223? Lol

I went to Warton don't ya know!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 12, 2013 02:56AM

The Dolphins are in shambles and the "house is on fire."

I'm not going to focus on Martin/Incognito enough nonsense already about that crap. What is more important, more noticeable are the many deficiencies on this team.

1. Wallace: A speedy WR with poor route running capabilities who can't fight for a ball in traffic. Total separation between the coverage is necessary along with a well thrown long pass to make a play. On short passes with traffic he will not make many plays. He's a bust here.

2. Linebackers: Both of our new linebackers that Ireland acquired in FA are not upgrades to prevent the run, and are barely better at covering the pass. I see no leader there. Koa Misi is our best LB IMO. Our back up LBs are not capable of stopping the run or covering on pass plays. A significant drop in skill when the back ups are in.

3. Defensive Line: Run defense is off from last year; holes are not being filled. Odrick is a surprise and Vernon has improved, yet, pressure on the opposing QB is extremely inconsistent which tells me, our DEs are not as good as perceived. Coyle isn't making it happen.

4. Corner Backs: Patterson is a game changer for us but his durability is killing us because his back up, Nolan Carroll, is a considerable drop off in talent. Carroll is picked on and is beaten many times. His tackling is inconsistent. Grimes is pretty good and is durable ... he's a plus. Our safeties are mediocre at best. Poor coverage on pass play and only fair on running plays. Lots of poor tackling. Yeremiah Bell was good. Should have kept him on.

5. Offensive Line: Routinely outplayed and is a total mess. Jerry is too slow, Clabo is a back up player now. Pouncey is frustrated. Martin and Incognito are ball and chains depriving the O of all continuity. The more screwed up things become the worse things will become. McKinnie was a nice surprise, but I wonder about his knee. Garner is a weak back up.

The GM position: Replace Ireland. He's fielded a mish-mosh of FAs and draftees who seldom achieve. It's happened too often.

The HC coaching position: Philbin means well. He is a journeyman HC and is suffering along with the rest of us. I sense he has "bitten off more than he can chew" with the Dolphins. He would have faired better with a team that was established not one that needed rescuing. He's taken a chance accepting the HC position and is now facing dismissal because of the O-line chaos, and the slow learning curve he's on to improve play. He's not putting things together. His assistants are not as good as they could be in helping the team improve.

Overall: The team is in disarray. It has become dysfunctional. Some areas function decently, but not enough to win games and turn the season around. The trend is more losses; we will finish this season with 11 losses.

Date: November 12, 2013 03:21AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Don't you WANT Ireland gone, dolfan1?

Yes of course I do. I always did, he is part of the problem.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: November 12, 2013 04:22AM

I agree with your analysis colonel, except for this:

Yeremiah Bell...True, he was adequate while here but at age 34, he was losing his skill rapidly. I believe it was a good move to get rid of him.

Further analysis:
LB's: D
I had already identified this LB squad as a weakness on this team a few weeks ago.
I agree Wheeler and all the back up LB's are horrible and need to be upgraded. Misi is decent, but even he is not that good. I do like Ellerbe.

WR's: C-
It indeed looks as if Wallace with all his natural talent is just not a "fighter".
Hartline has great hands but not much else.
Gibson was showing flashes, too bad about the injury.
Looks like Mathews is emerging...and it is one of the few nice things to see on this team this season.

RB's: F
Hard to give a real rating to this group because of the atrocious OL.
At the moment--Lamar Miller looks like he is more suited to being a 3rd down change of pace back. Daniel Thomas needs to be cut, the rest of the guys I can't rate yet.

OL: F
Needed---RT, RG, LG. and a prayer that McKinnie sticks around and plays at a high level.

QB: C
Hard to tell at this point, Tanny looks brilliant some times, and not so great at other times. I think he might improve a lot with a new coaching regiment that allows him to use his feet/head more. I hope he doesn't turn into our version of David Carr.

HC: D

I am now seeing what Chreynb Has been saying about Philbin for awhile, but I will expand on it. This whole coaching crew needs to go, all of them Philbin/Sherman/Coyle. They are hard headed and egotistical, prepare our players poorly...do not make great adjustments to what the opposing team is doing. This is an extremely mediocre-poor coaching squad that was unable to identify the issues this team has prior to commencing the season, they've been inept at correcting the issues that as this season has developed, and the bottom line is have seen enough now and I have simply lost faith in them.

GM: C

Ireland has been a mixed bag...He had potential, yet he has squandered his opportunity and by no means has he ever made any all-around brilliant acquisition. He is just not good enough to bring this team around and transform them in to winners.

In fact, I believe I could take a few guys from this chat board and we'd run the GM duties by committee with much more skill and effectiveness then Ireland's crew ever did.

Date: November 12, 2013 04:36AM

dawn Aponte next GM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 12, 2013 05:56AM

dolfan1 Wrote:
> dawn Aponte next GM

Didn't she make a massive salary cap error a few years ago (when she was in charge of that) or am I confusing her with someone else.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 12, 2013 06:35AM

Date: November 12, 2013 07:26AM

toko--The reason I mentioned Yeremiah Bell was because the guy could really tackle. His age was his limitation.

Agree on you assessment of our needs.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 12, 2013 08:03AM

Date: November 12, 2013 11:59AM

The only thing more funny than that is that you would spend so much time researching an off the cuff comment.

You've got an itch that you can't seem to scratch.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 12, 2013 12:34PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> The only thing more funny than that is that you
> would spend so much time researching an off the
> cuff comment.
>
> You've got an itch that you can't seem to scratch.

Just keeping you honest

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 12, 2013 12:55PM

My opinion? Glad you asked.

Much will depend on the outcome of the NFL investigation, coupled with the new advisory board Ross has assembled, and quite a board it is. Hell, get those guys out on the field.

It seemed as tho Ross gave Philbin a vote of confidence, but again, we will have to wait to see what the investigation comes up with. Ireland?

What will the investigation and advisory board see? What Ireland knew or did not know?

Think about this - Ross gave Ireland free reign last season to spend what he thought necessary to make the Fins contenders. Ireland spent lots and lots of money. The Dolphins are presently 4-5 and rudderless. Granted, the season is only at the half way point, but his picks barely see the field, and his FA signings just aren't getting the job done. Basically, he has failed in his mission. That should carry a lot of weight when Ross has to make some personnel decisions.

If Ireland is gone, what happens to Philbin? I think much of it will have to do with who Ross hires as GM and whether he/she wants Philbin as the HC. Unless it is an in-house promotion, I can't see Philbin staying on. It's the old saying that the new GM will want his/her own HC. Thus far, Phiblin hasn't done anything to wow whomever may come on board. He sure hasn't wowed the fan base.

So again, we will have to wait for the investigation results to come out before anyone knows what is going to happen.

Date: November 13, 2013 04:10AM

The "committee" created by Mr. Ross should have had one or two long-time Dolphins' fans on it who pay to watch in person at the games. Real, vocal perspective might be advantageous into treating and curing some of the ills effecting this team.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.