HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          2014 draft
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
2014 draft
Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 28, 2013 08:17AM

Everyone wants a high draft pick, but what position would it be exactly. I'm tired of spending top picks on the OL, which of course is what we should have done this year.

That DE we got sure looks good on special teams though.....holy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2014 draft
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 08:20AM

LOL OH No.

Spam Alert Spam Alert..

Its an invasion of the crack heads.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 08:21AM

samsam, sadly I think we are approaching 2014 draft talk with this team

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: October 28, 2013 08:38AM

It is totally that time, we are done, put a fork into this season. Hope we lose all the rest of the years games to get a decent pick. I am all about going to and winning the SB, everything else is just BS.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 28, 2013 10:17AM

Regrettably, Miami will be back in the top 15, if not the top 10, of next year's draft.

There should be some good quality offensive linemen available, but we will just have to wait and see what juniors declare themselves for the draft.

If Miami has only 7 picks (which I'm sure will increase) then grab at least 3 OLmen in the first 5 rounds. I am NOT down on Tanneyhill, but when Miami's second pick comes up and there is a hot shot QB sitting there, I would grab him. Looks like the Fins will be in the market for another starting WR.

So, there ya have it!

Now, the question is....who will be the Miami GM doing the drafting?confused smiley

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 28, 2013 10:56AM

Although I do agree we're not going to turn this around, it's way too early to think about drafting anyone for any position. If things continue to slide, the Dolphins may go 4-12 or 5-11. What will that mean, or should I say what should that mean? It should mean the end of Jeff Ireland and possibly the firing of the entire coaching staff.

Who out there in "never-never" land could Ross possibly hire to take over the reigns following Ireland's departure? Who, with any kind of resume would want the challenge? It would have to be someone with a hero complex, someone with a sterling image, someone looking to shine, and someone with rhinoceros hide who has years of GM experience. Anyone come to mind? It's time to cut our losses. To me Ireland's replacement is now critical to making any real personnel progress.

FWIW, let the next GM assess the team's needs and draft for those positions in dire need of improvement/upgrading.

=====
Just an aside: Have you ever looked at the experience level of our assistant coaches? Not much experience there and it shows. This is why they don't make 22 year olds field grade officers (major-colonel; Lt Cmdr-Captain) or E-6 to E9 on the enlisted side. Experience, time, accomplishment and aptitude are necessary to make things work. Just a little food for thought.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 11:08AM

That's true to a point Colonel. There's a fine line in football between "experience" and "the game has passed him by".
Dan Henning had a world of experience but, he was a little too sluggish to adapt to the aggressiveness of some of the younger guys that he came up against.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 12:15PM

10-6 and it starts this week.

all the doom and gloom. of our 4 losses we were truly outmatched once.

hopefully we can springboard into the 2nd half of the season with 4 solid qtrs of football Thursday.

andy Dalton had a career game. aside from that one game he's looked average at best.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:36PM

This won't be popular. But, the staff should not be fired regardless of our season ending record...even if its 3-13.

We have improved as a team over last season even taking into account our lapses and gaffes. So far, we have been competitive no matter the opponent and thats what matters most in the NFL. We have a good foundation now, and we will continue to improve. Growing pains are lasting a bit longer than many including me, would like but that changes nothing. I do understand and share in the frustration. I just don't think starting over is the answer.

The rest of the season should be about taking our next steps toward the top teams in the league and gaining consistency regardless of the wins and losses.

After that, it should be about further improving our already talented player roster in an effort to make it truly formidable.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:41PM

Ken what if someone were to convince you that the present 3-4 record really should be 5-2 (Saints and Patriots losses)

and that even in those two games we were leading at halftime but failed to make halftime adjustments

and the other 2 losses were as a result of the coaching staff IN ONE CRITICAL PLAY IN EACH GAME put a safe game we had already won on the roulette wheel?

Would you still say the same?

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 30, 2013 01:04AM

every staff makes mistakes and you can find fans from other teams that are doing the same as phin fans.

I think the game has passed Sherman by much like dan henning but philbin coaching to his system, even though i'v complained, is not all bad.

jim harbaugh, carroll, and shanahan have gone to a college style system to better suit their qbs. that's great in the short term but it's not sustainable. qbs can't take that kind of regular pounding and succeed in the nfl.

they've all tried to incorporate a more tradional style at times this year with little success and when push comes to shove they've risked their qbs health for their short term success.

All 3 of those qbs have regressed this year. All three of them also have much better teams they play for. This is year 2 of rebuilding the crap that sparano and parcells wanted which were big slow plodding players on both sides of the ball. it takes time.

although the records don't indicate it I truly think tannehill is ahead of those three in terms of development.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 30, 2013 05:12AM

I love draft talk...been telling you guys for years who the Dolphins should take...

If only the GM would listen to me...

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: October 30, 2013 12:22PM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This won't be popular. But, the staff should not
> be fired regardless of our season ending
> record...even if its 3-13.
>
> We have improved as a team over last season even
> taking into account our lapses and gaffes. So far,
> we have been competitive no matter the opponent
> and thats what matters most in the NFL. We have a
> good foundation now, and we will continue to
> improve. Growing pains are lasting a bit longer
> than many including me, would like but that
> changes nothing. I do understand and share in the
> frustration. I just don't think starting over is
> the answer.
>
> The rest of the season should be about taking our
> next steps toward the top teams in the league and
> gaining consistency regardless of the wins and
> losses.
>
> After that, it should be about further improving
> our already talented player roster in an effort to
> make it truly formidable.

Competitive up to a point. Then all hell breaks loose. Our tackles can't stop the pass rushers; our line can't open holes for the running backs; Wallace continues to disappoint; our D gives up 3rd and longs; our DBs are quite often no where in the picture when a receiver catches the ball; too many missed tackles; our pass rush getting there a second too late; poor play calling.

Yes, this team has shown it is capable of beating anybody; but it is during crunch time when they consistently fail, on both sides of the ball.

In some areas, there are improvements over last season - in other areas, they have regressed. The coaches have a lot to do with that, also, in that they aren't putting their talent in the positions and/or formations that would best utilize those talents. The coaching, thus far, is just too damn stubborn.

As far as firing the whole staff, not so sure about that. Maybe an assistant or two, but much of what happens during the off season will depend on the results the rest of the way.

The problem is that none of us on this board know the inner workings of this staff, i.e., is Philbin limiting Sherman or is Sherman just not as good a play caller as everyone thought he was?

Date: October 30, 2013 03:59PM

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: October 31, 2013 04:05AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Cap, Sherman coached Tanny at TAM. Tanny was
> somewhat successful at TAM. Now he is grading out
> at about C minus here. I think that "Philbin
> limiting Sherman" and not with playcalling but
> insisting on running PHILBIN'S scheme and not the
> one run at TAM.

Why would we want a college offense in the NFL? Maybe Sherman and Tannehill did okay at TAM, but that was against college defenses... it's a little different playing with the big boys.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 31, 2013 04:20AM

sorry if Sherman's O was so successful in college he wouldn't have been fired. probably not conincenditally, the offense and QB play (and team) at A&M improved markedly once Sherman and RT left.

Date: October 31, 2013 10:19AM

gofins60 Wrote:

> Why would we want a college offense in the NFL?

RESPONSE: Yeah, look how badly it has worked for SF, Seattle, and the Redskins who run basically a variation of it, although, not exactly the same with Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, and RGIII.

This is not the 1970's and we don't have Jim Langer, Bob Kuchenberg, Larry Little, Norm Evans and Wayne Moore for an offensive line.

We can't have a guy like Tanny who is NOT a pocket quarterback standing back behind a porous offensive line "trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents."

> Maybe Sherman and Tannehill did okay at TAM, but
> that was against college defenses... it's a little
> different playing with the big boys.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: November 01, 2013 03:34AM

I think the only holes really are on OL. looks like more OL line drafting

Date: November 01, 2013 01:56PM

I would think about defensive backs, also.

Not sure Miami will be able to resign Grimes, Patterson has been hurt, our two rookies haven't seen the field much, due to a variety of reasons, and our safeties are just average.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.