HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Marino getting back into football?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Marino getting back into football?
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 24, 2013 12:45PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marino geting back into football?
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 24, 2013 01:33PM

Sure I'd support him in a front office job. Not sure what his powers should be though. One thing I wouldn't do is give him carte blanche.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 24, 2013 02:18PM

Danny Boy has a pretty nice job working the network games on Sunday. Quitting that to take a job in the front office would take him out of the limelight and put him in the hot seat, especially in Miami. Does our Icon, our legend want to lose face by trying his hand at management?

He would certainly be appreciated at first, but I wonder how tarnished his image would get if he too was not a success in a new position.

Life is a risk. He'd be making big career move.

Would I support such a brave move? YES I WOULD. Would I be disappointed if he couldn't turn things around for the Dolphins in 3 seasons? Probably. Would I trade in my Marion #13 Jersey. Hell no. And that, my friends, is the way most of would feel about him, IMO. Always special. Always a Dolphin. Always a shinning star. thumbs up

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 25, 2013 01:49PM

No, Marino won't take the job, whatever it would be.

He has a cushy job on TV and makes a lot of money. A FO job would take up more of his time than he would be willing. Much more pressure in a FO.

I highly doubt he would take a position in Miami's front office, if he even did, with the present regime. Not sure of his relationship with Ross, but the whole coaching staff would have to be replaced for him to even consider the position.

Date: October 25, 2013 02:43PM

Date: October 25, 2013 03:32PM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 26, 2013 04:56AM

geez, anyone here remember he had that job for about 2 weeks before quitting bc he didn't realize how much work it would be? now b/c he sees Elway's success he wants another shot? No thanks. I would be in favor of him being the football guy Ross can ask questions to so he has someone to tell him Ireland sucks and to get a real GM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: October 26, 2013 05:42AM

Exactly we did give Dan a shot. One freezing college all star practice I think in Mobile and Dan decided management was not for him. He has got to be committed or just stay on tv.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: October 26, 2013 05:46AM

You either have a passion to be a GM or a coach or you don't.

Dan doesn't.

If they want to bring him back as a figure head its a mistake. If they want to actually have him make player decisions, its an even bigger mistake.

We need someone in charge of personnel that eats, sleeps and drinks his job.

Date: October 26, 2013 07:59AM

Date: October 26, 2013 09:25AM

I'd say because Elway wanted to do that work that comes with the job and Marino has shown he hasn't. But again I'd like him to be the guy Ross can go to and tell him what is working and what isn't----can't be worse than Carl Peterson and SOMEONE's got to tell him Ireland stinks

Date: October 26, 2013 09:30AM

Date: October 26, 2013 09:55AM

You guys make some good points for and against. I'm leaning in favor of him working in the front office. There is a assumption though that he's not a lackey and will not just be a pretty face but rather a person that will put his heart and soul into such a position. When he accepted that old position and gave it up in a number of hours, it sure sounded to me then that he was not mentally committed to divest himself from being the Icon player he had become to a businessman wearing a suit in the front office. I mentioned in my earlier post above that he sounds as if he has matured and wants more to his life than just being a talking ex-player on Sunday.

Dan is a very competitive guy and I can see him now at his age wanting more. He's probably ready mentally to live, breathe, Miami Dolphins football again. I think he's now an ardent fan and wants to do something to make the Dolphins a winner again. He can't do squat from the TV booth.

Jeff Ireland has experience as a scout yet he has difficulty, IMO, making the right calls on players. If a damn monkey with a dart board could do his job, perhaps a little better, maybe Marino could eventually replace Ireland, and do better than those monkeys too. smiling smiley

Date: October 26, 2013 12:19PM

I dont know, call me crazy but I think it might have been beneficial if someone with QB experience and pull in the FO, would have reminded Ireland this offseason that neglecting the offensive line probably wasnt a good idea... At the same time, giving our young QB some tips on feeling the pocket and the art of avoiding charging bulls...
SOunds like a good idea to me, but maybe i am missing something...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 26, 2013 12:29PM

That video clip has Dan saying that he has considered getting back into football but, he didn't really narrow it down to any particular team.

Date: October 26, 2013 01:47PM

Elway didnt go work for the Jets.... Marino spent time talking about the Dolphins, no other team, then went directly into talking about his desire to get back in football.. And used Elways success as a reason he thinks about getting back into football.. A guy he was drafted with, was judged against his whole career, and happen to get into the FO of the team he played for his entire career... I am going to take a wild guess or assumption and assume, that if Marino comes back into a FO, it will be because of the Dolphins, no other team... He lives here in Fort Lauderdale, and is a south florida guy.. He isnt going to be enticed with a FO job that entails moving to Buffalo or Jax with a franchise he has no history or connection.
The one part of it that makes me question whether he would do it or not. Is that he is a legend in this town, he can do no wrong... By taking the job he would risk that, untouchable hero status and make it vulnerable... If he does it, he only does it, if he believes he can truly help bring this team back to greatness and glory... Otherwise it is not worth risking his status in his own backyard...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: October 26, 2013 01:52PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont know, call me crazy but I think it might
> have been beneficial if someone with QB experience
> and pull in the FO,

Yeah. Too bad he found the job so overwhelming the last time he was offered it that he quit after two weeks.

> would have reminded Ireland
> this offseason that neglecting the offensive line
> probably wasnt a good idea... At the same time,
> giving our young QB some tips on feeling the
> pocket and the art of avoiding charging bulls...
> SOunds like a good idea to me, but maybe i am
> missing something...

Are you suggesting that Dan would only tutor our young QB on the finer points of playing the position at the NFL level if he were in charge of the team?

Date: October 26, 2013 03:55PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Crowder52 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I dont know, call me crazy but I think it might
> > have been beneficial if someone with QB
> experience
> > and pull in the FO,
>
> Yeah. Too bad he found the job so overwhelming
> the last time he was offered it that he quit after
> two weeks.
>
>
>
> > would have reminded Ireland
> > this offseason that neglecting the offensive
> line
> > probably wasnt a good idea... At the same time,
> > giving our young QB some tips on feeling the
> > pocket and the art of avoiding charging bulls...
>
> > SOunds like a good idea to me, but maybe i am
> > missing something...
>
>
> Are you suggesting that Dan would only tutor our
> young QB on the finer points of playing the
> position at the NFL level if he were in charge of
> the team?

A lot changes in ten years Truth... Not to mention, we now know, he had impregnated a women outside his marriage around the same time. Had young children, with Autism issues... His life was much different... Hell he left a sprawling property in Weston or the edge of the everglades a couple years ago after living their his whole time in south florida for a fancy penthouse condo in downtown Fort Lauderdale.. I am not the same guy I was ten years ago, with the same lifestyle...I valued things much different ten years ago then I do today... What about u?

Chad Pennington came in to tutor Tannehill, but Marino never has.... I think Marino views his current job and trying to be unbias as a weekly national NFl sports commentator, as an obstacle that has kept him away from doing such a job as tutoring Tannehill yes...

ps- sorry about the pvt message, must have hit the wrong button the first time I posted this

Nietzsche

Date: October 27, 2013 05:07AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> -----
> > Crowder52 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I dont know, call me crazy but I think it
> might
> > > have been beneficial if someone with QB
> > experience
> > > and pull in the FO,
> >
> > Yeah. Too bad he found the job so
> overwhelming
> > the last time he was offered it that he quit
> after
> > two weeks.
> >
> >
> >
> > > would have reminded Ireland
> > > this offseason that neglecting the offensive
> > line
> > > probably wasnt a good idea... At the same
> time,
> > > giving our young QB some tips on feeling the
> > > pocket and the art of avoiding charging
> bulls...
> >
> > > SOunds like a good idea to me, but maybe i am
> > > missing something...
> >
> >
> > Are you suggesting that Dan would only tutor
> our
> > young QB on the finer points of playing the
> > position at the NFL level if he were in charge
> of
> > the team?
>
>
>
> A lot changes in ten years Truth... Not to
> mention, we now know, he had impregnated a women
> outside his marriage around the same time. Had
> young children, with Autism issues... His life was
> much different... Hell he left a sprawling
> property in Weston or the edge of the everglades a
> couple years ago after living their his whole time
> in south florida for a fancy penthouse condo in
> downtown Fort Lauderdale.. I am not the same guy
> I was ten years ago, with the same lifestyle...I
> valued things much different ten years ago then I
> do today... What about u?

Nope. I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago. Does that make me as good a choice as Marino for the job.

10 years ago he walked away from the job because he wasn't up to what it required.

He hasn't spent the last 10 years improving his skill set for being a GM. He's actually done the opposite.

Just take his name out of the equation. If he wasn't a former Dolphin, would we even be discussing this as an option?

>
> Chad Pennington came in to tutor Tannehill, but
> Marino never has.... I think Marino views his
> current job and trying to be unbias as a weekly
> national NFl sports commentator, as an obstacle
> that has kept him away from doing such a job as
> tutoring Tannehill yes...

That's on Marino then. Nobody would expect him to coach Tannehill during the season but he's got PLENTY of time in the off-season to spend a day or two with the kid.

>
> ps- sorry about the pvt message, must have hit the
> wrong button the first time I posted this

No worries.

Date: October 27, 2013 06:58AM

my theory on Marino is that the game came so easily to him, that I don't think he really gets the hard work it takes to become great at something he is not naturally gifted at. That's why you don't really see many super star players being good coaches. you can't teach something you're born with. I can't really see him being the kind of grinder you'd need to be a great GM or FO guy. Elway is an exception but is he really all that great? As someone said he used his star power to sign Manning but that's a once in a lifetime situation. Before Manning the Broncos weren't looking like anything too special, and their best players we brought in by prior regeims

Date: October 27, 2013 08:10AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> my theory on Marino is that the game came so
> easily to him, that I don't think he really gets
> the hard work it takes to become great at
> something he is not naturally gifted at. That's
> why you don't really see many super star players
> being good coaches. you can't teach something
> you're born with.

My feelings exactly. Super Stars who become coaches also have a hard time understanding why other guys don't see the game the way they do or why they can't execute at the same level.

> I can't really see him being the
> kind of grinder you'd need to be a great GM or FO
> guy.

It would be one thing if he'd been working in that area over for the last few years, but he hasn't.

Frankly, if his name wasn't Dan Marino people wouldn't even consider this a serious option.

How about Joe Montana? He's got a better resume, he's got a reputation as a more cerebral player since he did more with less physical tools than a guy like Marino. Plus he knows the offense we run.

> Elway is an exception but is he really all
> that great? As someone said he used his star power
> to sign Manning but that's a once in a lifetime
> situation. Before Manning the Broncos weren't
> looking like anything too special, and their best
> players we brought in by prior regeims

I was the one who pointed that out.

Maybe Elway turns out to be a savant as a GM. Maybe not. Time will tell.

I was thinking about it before...how many elite former players have been good GM's in the NFL?

Ozzie Newsome comes to mind. Anyone else? Any QB's?

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 28, 2013 12:46PM

I'm not advocating either way (but, see my post above).

Just want to throw a name out there....Larry Bird.

He was a Coach of the Year and also an Executive of the Year. It can be done, if the individual really wants it.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: October 28, 2013 12:58PM

captkoi Wrote:
> I'm not advocating either way (but, see my post
> above).
>
> Just want to throw a name out there....Larry
> Bird.
>
> He was a Coach of the Year and also an Executive
> of the Year. It can be done, if the individual
> really wants it.

But Larry didn't have a comfy job as a broadcaster to give up, I guess is the point. He's one of my favorite athletes of all time but not exactly a face for TV. It sure can be done though, and if anyone can do it Dan can.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.