HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Coach Philbin: Calm, Cool & Collected with Media
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Coach Philbin: Calm, Cool & Collected with Media
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 22, 2013 07:55AM

I've watched Coach Philbin's pregame, post game comments, comments after watching the game tapes, and see his demeanor responding to media questions. He doesn't get rattled about not winning. He is very, courteous, businesslike, laid back and his rhetoric is always understated. Most importantly, he is never definitive about any course of action.

If my dad were still alive, I could hear him saying, "someone's got to light a fire under him." grinning smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Coach Philbin: Calm, Cool & Collected with Media
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 22, 2013 07:59AM

Would you prefer Wanny's habit of looking frustrated and running his hands through his hair?

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 22, 2013 08:23AM

Philbin is very "Cam Cameron" like. All the intensity of a chess player. Not necessarily a good thing in football.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 22, 2013 08:39AM

Good comparison because he is showing he can be a hell of a coordinator with a great QB but not so much at HC.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 22, 2013 08:39AM

At the end of the day, I don't care what a coach's demeanor is like. Tony Dungy was laid back and classy. Mike Ditka was loud and in your face. Shula could be both depending on the situation. All won championships and that's all that matters. How much blame I attribute to Philbin depends on how much responsibility he has for the offensive line decisions made in the off season. In my opinion, not as much as Jeff Ireland who I think is the main culprit in the current 3 game losing streak.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 22, 2013 08:47AM

Dungy never would have won anything without a HOF QB....no matter how much he is loved as a coach. He was a DC that couldn't field a decent defense in Indy.

Ditka had a once in a lifetime defense. He never drafted those guys or Walter Payton.

I like both those guys but....

Who knows what JP is telling Ireland? If he is telling him the same thing he tells the media....that he is confident in the players we have....then he is to blame as well. he should be able to identify a decent lineman by now.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: October 22, 2013 08:59AM

I guess my point was that many different kinds of coaches have won championships. There are lots of ways to motivate players. Plus, coaches can evolve the way Coughlin has been able to do in NY by becoming less totalitarian. The one constant is that good personnel decisions must be made on a consistent basis. Look at some of the boneheads we've had making the calls on player personnel the past decade and a half. Dave Wannstedt, who actually traded a first round pick for Rick Mirer and passed on guys like Brees and Bolden for guys like Jamar Fletcher and Eddie Moore. Then you have Nick Saban who is best known for trading a second rounder for Culpepper instead of signing Brees as a free agent. Cam Cameron who drafted the Ginn family as the number 9 friggin overall pick. A friggin punt returner. And now we have Jeff Ireland who initially worked with/for Parcells who hadn't won a Superbowl since the Godfather Part III was a new release in the theaters. Is it any real surprise that we have stunk for this long? The only thing that will save this franchise is getting a stable front office with someone that knows how to make good personnel decision. Baltimore has remained competitive because Ozzie Newsome knows how to draft and who to sign as free agents. Ireland has had his chance to prove his worth. He's failed miserably. To put it plainly, he stinks.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 22, 2013 09:41AM

See my thread on Methodology.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 22, 2013 10:51AM

You guys are too serious sometimes. I wasn't demeaning Phiblin just pointing out my observations about him. I sure wasn't going to compare him to Shula, Seifert, Walsh, Landry, Gruden, Dungy, Saban, Wanny et al. No point in doing that.

Philbin wasn't hired for his charm, good looks or ability to be calm in front of media asking him pre-game or post game questions. He was hired, I reckon, to provide leadership at the field level so the team might win enough games to reach and win a SB.

Philbin's just a dull kind of guy in my book. Robin Williams, in contrast, would be on a frolic following a close loss. Can you imagine his post game interview. He'd have the sportscaster's rolling in the isles. grinning smiley grinning smiley smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 22, 2013 11:32AM

Playoffs?? playoffs?? are you kidding me?? Playoffs??

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 22, 2013 11:56AM

What confuses me, was that Philbin was known for his game planning and play calling success in GB... That is what was raved about him when we hired him... Yet, he seems to be doing very little game planning and doesnt call the plays...confused smiley
I got in this conversation with agent David Canter last year... He was knocking our game planning, and I questioned him that I thought Philbin was suppose to be an expert at coming up with successful game plans from week to week... Canter told me, yeah I heard that to, but where is it?... I had nothing to argue at that point and quickly conceded his point...

It seems Philbin job description and week to week duties, resemble nothing of what made him a strong candidate for this job in Miami... It baffles me a bit... It seems HC responsibilities have rendered his strengths useless.. And put his weakness's as his primary duties with this team...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: October 22, 2013 11:57AM

Hard to imagine playoffs after losing to BUF ... it will require a win out in the division to be in the discussion, and some losses by NE and NY -

Too little too late on dealing with OL

Seems like this team just gets all but the key needs and then starts over at the other end of the roster with a new coaching staff

Date: October 22, 2013 12:33PM

Calm, Cool & Collected????? or smug?

In either case, we you are losing, the question is 'should you be EITHER'?

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 22, 2013 01:32PM

He never called the plays in G Bay, he was known for game plans though

Date: October 22, 2013 01:41PM

Date: October 22, 2013 01:42PM

Here is Philbin's whole coaching history prior to the Dolphins, all offense, no defense.

So it's funny that the offensive side of our game is the most suffering (hell even almost half the points the opponents score are when we have the ball, fumbles, interceptions).

1984-1985 Tulane (GA)
1986-1987 WPI (OL)
1988-1989 USMMA (OL)
1990-1993 Allegheny College (OC/OL)
1994 Ohio (OL)
1995-1996 Northeastern (OC/OL)
1997-1998 Harvard (OC/OL)
1999-2002 Iowa (OL)
2003 Green Bay Packers (Asst OL)
2004-2005 Green Bay Packers (TE/Asst OL)
2006 Green Bay Packers (OL)
2007-2011 Green Bay Packers (OC)
2012-present Miami Dolphins (HC)

So those of you who think it's Sherman calling the plays, especially the crucial ones, might want to ponder this.

Date: October 22, 2013 01:44PM

Has anyone been impressed with any of our game plans other then against the Colts this season?

Do you feel we are going to have a better game plan to beat the Patriots then the Patriots are going to have to beat us?

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 22, 2013 02:49PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has anyone been impressed with any of our game
> plans other then against the Colts this season?
>
> Do you feel we are going to have a better game
> plan to beat the Patriots then the Patriots are
> going to have to beat us?

Well, Crowder, it's hard to have a good game plan when the OL, basically the most important unit on the offense, is below par. What puzzles me is that these guys are supposed to be pros - better than thousands of other guys in the same positions that could not make it in the NFL. Hard to understand, really.

Saying that, since Sherman knows his OLine can't protect RT, then he has to revise the playbook to where RT can get rid of the ball faster or other ways to keep from getting him killed. We saw a little of that vs the Bills (rolling out on occasion) but Sherman fails at the most critical times.

BTW, I haven't seen the stats, but where does Miami's defense stand on takeaways in the league and how many do they have? Pick this area up and maybe our offense could do a little more with a shorter field.

Date: October 22, 2013 03:26PM

Capt- All teams have strengths and weaknesses, I agree about our oline, but a good game plan is able to accentuate the positives, and hide the weakness's while exploiting the other teams weakness's and minimizing the affect of their strengths...

Screens, quick WR hitches, and moving the pocket around, can help minimize our oline weakness.. If the plays can be successfully executed in a good game plan... I dont see much of a game plan, it seems most of the time, the game play us rather then us playing the game so to speak...

Nietzsche

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 23, 2013 02:14AM

I tend to agree with Crowder on this one <<<<<GASP>>>>>, if he's such an offensive genius, he should be able to game plan around a weak O-line, they did for 3 quarters on Sunday, someone needs to remind him the game is 4 quarters

Date: October 23, 2013 04:49AM

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 24, 2013 10:57AM

and why did Philpin choose to not kick to the Bills and give the rookie QB the ball with 80 yards to go?

We stop them there and get the ball on a short field.

Perhaps we get the pick 6

but nooooooooooo he chooses to let Brees and those guys have the ball.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: October 24, 2013 12:42PM

dolphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and why did Philpin choose to not kick to the
> Bills and give the rookie QB the ball with 80
> yards to go?
>

it wasn't 80 yards. They would have needed a FG to beat us, not a TD.

Run twice, punt and they get the ball between the 10-20, with 2min and all three timeouts... and they only have to go 45-55 yards to have a shot at a fg to WIN.

Date: October 24, 2013 01:32PM

Truth, I think he was talking about the opening coin toss decision.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.