HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Crowder resigned to 3 year deal
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Crowder resigned to 3 year deal
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 25, 2009 02:34PM

I did not expect that! What about YEREMIAH?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2009 02:35PM by eesti.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crowder resigned to 3 year deal
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 25, 2009 02:36PM

Hey! Pleasant surprise! I still say we draft an ILB with one of our first 3 picks, then move Crowder to Ayodele's spot.

Date: February 25, 2009 02:39PM

I say we add Bart Scott and pair him with CC then add a CB like Sean Smith.

.....................................................................................

Date: February 25, 2009 02:41PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I say we add Bart Scott and pair him with CC then
> add a CB like Sean Smith.

Nah. Scott would be too expensive, and this draft is deep at LB. We're in good shape to take the BPA, though.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 25, 2009 02:43PM

this is suprising. but still not bad as long as we didn't over pay. now we can take best player available. if we let him go we'd have been forced to take a ILB with one of the first 2 picks and play him as a rookie, or overpay for Scott who will end up with NYJ.
hope we re-sign bell too.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 25, 2009 02:46PM

From the quotes in the Herald and on PFT, it sounds like Channing made some concessions (fewer years and less $ per year) to stay in Miami.

Date: February 25, 2009 02:48PM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> From the quotes in the Herald and on PFT, it
> sounds like Channing made some concessions (fewer
> years and less $ per year) to stay in Miami.

Isn't it amazing that players actually want to stay in Miami this year? What a difference!!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 25, 2009 03:15PM

Date: February 25, 2009 03:25PM

Yeah you guys are right he will be too expensive. Let the Jets overpay for him. He is a 3 down LB'er though. I bet we pursue either Brown or Scott and then lose out to the Jets just like last year.

Date: February 25, 2009 03:30PM

eesti Wrote:
> Yeah you guys are right he will be too expensive.
> Let the Jets overpay for him. He is a 3 down
> LB'er though. I bet we pursue either Brown or
> Scott and then lose out to the Jets just like last
> year.

Hey, if it raises the price the Jets have to pay, I'm all for it!

Date: February 25, 2009 03:32PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> I think we made this move because it doesn't look
> like we will get Bart scott.

Sounds like it was mutual and both sides are happy with the result. I don't think we were ever seriously considering Scott anyway. The guy plays along side Ray Lewis, so he's probably overrated (Lewis made him look better than he actually was). Also, BP doesn't like high-priced FAs.

Date: February 25, 2009 03:48PM

If you look around, the scoops on Ray Lewis is that he is nowhere close to the player he used to be. I watched tape on him today and he was missing tackles and looked really slow. They like him because of his leadership. Everyone says Bart has been the better LB'er for the last two years. Ray is not a 3 down LB'er any more.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 25, 2009 04:55PM

OK lets only talk about how great he is now. He's young and big. And he's working deals for the benefit of the team.

GOOD PRICE-GOOD DEAL-GOOD PLAYER

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 25, 2009 05:57PM

well since crowder is still a dolphin i cant hate on him anymore. Actually I like the move since it saves us from having to spend first day money on ILB and can focus on OL which is our weakness. If Crowder is our man our ILB I still think we need an OLB.

On another note I am leaning towards Wood (G/C-louisville) for our first round selection.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2009 06:19PM by Miami Reppa.

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: February 25, 2009 06:06PM

I'm ALL for Eric Wood Reppa....only I think we can easily land him in the 2nd round, maybe even with pick 2b.

Posted by: noetic ()
Date: February 25, 2009 06:19PM

I'm actually a bit disappointed about Crowder being resigned. I think we can all agree that his numbers last year were not indicative of his productivity. He was far from being an impact, and the majority of those tackles came several yards downfield, while he rarely met anyone at the line of scrimmage without flying through the wrong hole.

I don't think Crowder is a bad player. He's simply mediocre, and I don't think he's the guy we want to anchor the interior of our linebacker corps. It just feels the front office was forced into making this signing by whether or not they felt they could find a replacement in the draft. I think its the move they had to make, instead of the move they wanted to make, and I don't particularly like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2009 06:20PM by noetic.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: February 25, 2009 06:27PM

Panteraize wrote
-----------------------------------------------
>I'm ALL for Eric Wood Reppa....only I think we can easily land him in >the 2nd round, maybe even with pick 2b.

hummm, I dont know. I think it depends on when unger goes (provided he is the first center selected). As you know the jets selected nick mangold in the first round and we all see how well that worked out for them. I do believe that a center will be drafted in the first and if Wood indeed is the second best center then i think he will likely be gone before our 2a pick. However I dont know about other people but from what I saw at the combine I really like AQ shipley (C-penn state) as well.

Maybe Wood will be around late in the second we will see what our staff will do. One thing for certain is that after last years draft it is clear that they know more then us amatures... cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2009 06:30PM by Miami Reppa.

Posted by: RW13 ()
Date: February 25, 2009 08:01PM

There are alot of playmakers in this league that are a product of the system and the rest of the players surrounding them. Crowder may not have made alot of big plays, because he's not on a team that is surrounded by talent, not yet anyway. We are getting there and only time will tell. If we get more pressure on the QB and better coverage down field, then Crowder may start to make bigger types of plays, then again he might just be the same type of player he has been all along. Which is fine, if the rest of the defense gets better around him. Becuase, on every great team there are some players who are just average. Just saying.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: February 26, 2009 01:32AM

We didn't overpay for Crowder, and that's the key. We're free to do anything in the draft. I can see that we're looking to fill a lot of holes, and preventing new ones from opening up. I guess I believed all that crap about us letting people go, and instead, we're resigning these people one by one. Smart thing to do. Center is probably next. It's clear to me now that the Dolphins front office does NOT want to get roped into early need picks. And that's great, great news.

Number 25 is going to be BPA (within reason), and that could be anyone - O Line, D line, Linebacker, Safety, Corner, or even a WR.

My wild guess right now is Larry English. He'd be our Demarcus Ware, in the backfield all day and also great against the run.

I would also not be opposed to us drafting Duke Robinson and using Duke/Carey to ram the ball down other team's throats.

So to me, it's who's available at 25. I don't think it's in stone, I think Ireland will see who's up there for us, and make a decision when we're on the clock.

hot smiley

Posted by: NJ Dolfan ()
Date: February 26, 2009 01:57AM

I am very surprised at his signing. I think the fact that they are signing someone so young only to a three year deal is very telling that they don't see him as the long term solution.

I think there may be some serious concern over his play making ability and knees. The fact that they didn't over spend allows them to have a known solid (yet unspectacular) player on-hand in case they don't get the player(s) they want for LB. It would not shock me if Crowder gets traded this year.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 26, 2009 02:54AM

Our defense made some big strides last year. I think we'll make further strides in 2009; and when that happens we'll see more big plays out of the entire team, including Crowder. However, sometimes a player's value can't be measured based solely on the number of big plays he made. Sometimes, a lot of little plays mean just as much. Remember the KC game last year? They had 500 yards of offense and 31 points against us. Is it a coincidence that the KC offense torched us when we played without Crowder? I don't know the answer to that, but I do know this: Crowder is still young, only 25. He's also a good tackler. So we signed a young LB who has good size, consistently makes tackles and has 4 years of experience to a 3 year deal. That can't be bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2009 02:54AM by Northeast Fin Fan.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 26, 2009 06:15AM

In a 3-4, there are two ILBs, and Crowder is just one of them. While the guy has never been a big playmaker, he's been consistent. From everything I can tell, he didn't get big playmaker money, so I think this is a good move.

If we stick a big time playmaker next to CC, then this is a great move. We will have a solid ILB pair for the next few years.

Date: February 26, 2009 06:40AM

ghotirule Wrote:
> In a 3-4, there are two ILBs, and Crowder is just
> one of them. While the guy has never been a big
> playmaker, he's been consistent. From everything
> I can tell, he didn't get big playmaker money, so
> I think this is a good move.
>
> If we stick a big time playmaker next to CC, then
> this is a great move. We will have a solid ILB
> pair for the next few years.

Too bad Maualuga and Laurinaitis will be gone at 25. There are no other ILB's available early that fit the mold. (6'3 240).

Maybe Jason Phillips TCU (6'1 240) who ran a 4.69 at the combine but he may be too short for BP's liking. Mayock has him ranked 3rd for ILB's.

They could also take someone like Clay Mathews and move him to the inside if Wake pans out. That would be awesome. Wake, Mathews, Crowder, Porter.

Date: February 26, 2009 07:50AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 26, 2009 08:00AM

I heard on the radio yesterday....they said crowder wasn't getting much attention from other teams and that he wanted to stay in miami. We didn't gave the house for him either so its a good deal anyways. He is not a superstar but he does his job most of the time.

Posted by: miamifann ()
Date: February 26, 2009 08:05AM

I think the most important thing is depth. Even if he never starts another game, he is an excellent backup who can come in at any time and perform.

Posted by: Westcoastphinfan ()
Date: February 26, 2009 08:21AM

What a surprise!

All the "know it alls" had Channing Crowder out the door since the Baltimore game ended!

I am glad he will remain a Dolphin. He is a really good player, with a very lively, devil-may-care sense of humor which keeps the boys loose in the locker room.

Date: February 26, 2009 08:25AM

I think Larry English may be better suited to a 4-3 DE position. He did not perform well during position drills @ LB'er in Indy. He is 6'2 274 lbs and runs a 4.9 40. He did well in the 3 cone, short shuttle and vertical though.

Teams wanted to take a look at him for 3-4 OLB thinking he could be the next Demarcus Ware but he did not come close to Ware in drills or tests. Ware ran a 4.51 40.

Mathews is 6'3 246 lbs and ran a 4.67. He did well in position drills and placed in the top 10 in 5 events.

LE did not even place in the top ten 40 yard dashes for defensive lineman let alone LB's. He is definitely a monster but may not be right for the 3-4 defense. JMO.

Date: February 26, 2009 09:48AM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 26, 2009 10:16AM

I hope Maualuga falls to us at #25. Then next year we add Terrence "Mount" Cody in the first round and our D will be dominant for a decade.

We also need to add CB's.....

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.