HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          what kind of fan are you right now?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
what kind of fan are you right now?
Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 05:05AM

Poll
What would you do?
This poll has expired. Voting is no longer possible.
15 votes were received.
Get rid of Ireland, I hate the players that he is brought here. Philbin is OK. 2

13%
It's not the players, it's the coaching. Get rid of Phil"P"in and his cronies. 1

7%
The guys are struggling but let's evaluate them at the end of the season. 11

73%
I hate both Philbin & Ireland. Fire-land these guys immediately, as I press this button! 1

7%

This might be a bad time for a poll like this, because fan morale is terrible at the moment but I may re-poll if we defeat the Patriots. Have at it!

*grammar error*oops please JC/or some mod-change "is to has" on item 1 of the poll.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2013 05:13AM by toko34.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what kind of fan are you right now?
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: October 21, 2013 06:43AM

I'll wait until the end of the season to make any judgment.

If we are under . 500 at the end of the year then you can certainly justify getting rid of everyone.

If they are over . 500 then they deserve to return.

Funny thing is that this team is 3 olinemen away from being as good as anyone in the league.

That's how small the difference is between being really good or just average.

We can beat the Colts in their building but the broncos can't.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 06:46AM

Ireland has been given every opportunity to show that he deserves to be an NFL GM. He has failed miserably. If you don't draft well, you don't win consistently in the NFL. I have absolutely no faith in Ireland's ability to draft quality players. He needs to be fired and the new GM should make the assessment on whether Philbin ought to stay on or not. Throw as much money as it takes to hire someone like Eric Decosta the assistant GM with Baltimore. He's learned from Ozzie Newsome how a team should be built. Let's not forget, Ireland learned from a dinosaur who hasn't won in Superbowl in over 20 years. Time to remove the last vestiges of the mistake that was Bill Parcells.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 21, 2013 07:36AM

I can't reply fairly to any of the polling questions today.

I'm with TRUTH and believe it's too early for legitimate major changes to be made. If we go .500 (8-8) or less a major shuffle in coaching is likely. I also agree that our biggest problem (need) is the O-line.

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: October 21, 2013 08:07AM

Some of the major salary hits like Wallace, who in my opinion is the biggest bust are what worry me. That points to Ireland so hindsight he might be the weak(er) link to this organization.

We could have taken that extra money and sent SamSam to anger management classes. grinning smiley Just kidding

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 21, 2013 09:25AM

i knew wallace would not be worth the money because tanneyhill cant throw the deep ball..

i would be thrilled to see sherman go. he just doesnt seem to understand the flow of the game at all.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 21, 2013 10:34AM

THE Truth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll wait until the end of the season to make any
> judgment.
>
> If we are under . 500 at the end of the year then
> you can certainly justify getting rid of everyone.
>
>
> If they are over . 500 then they deserve to
> return.
>
> Funny thing is that this team is 3 olinemen away
> from being as good as anyone in the league.
>
> That's how small the difference is between being
> really good or just average.
>
> We can beat the Colts in their building but the
> broncos can't.

Only three OLinemen away?

We have a problem with our DBs, also.

Date: October 21, 2013 10:40AM

dolphin Wrote:
> i knew wallace would not be worth the money
> because tanneyhill cant throw the deep ball..
>
> i would be thrilled to see sherman go. he just
> doesnt seem to understand the flow of the game at
> all.

Big surprise, you are negative about RT.

Anyway, RT can throw the deep ball. Although Wallace had to slow up on the big connection yesterday, he still hit him. BTW, Big Ben and his powerful arm did the same thing with his receiver yesterday. I guess Ben doesn't have a strong enough arm?

Think about it, dolphin...if that OLine could give RT just an extra second to find his guy, step up and throw, he would have a clear path in letting that ball travel the distance necessary.

Again, you are pointing out one player; it's a team effort, all the way from Ross to the waterboy.

Way too many problems with this team to isolate any one player and say that is the problem.

Geez, I sure wish it was one player; the Dolphins would (probably) be in first place in the AFC East.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:07AM

captkoi Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'll wait until the end of the season to make
> any
> > judgment.
> >
> > If we are under . 500 at the end of the year
> then
> > you can certainly justify getting rid of
> everyone.
> >
> >
> > If they are over . 500 then they deserve to
> > return.
> >
> > Funny thing is that this team is 3 olinemen
> away
> > from being as good as anyone in the league.
> >
> > That's how small the difference is between
> being
> > really good or just average.
> >
> > We can beat the Colts in their building but the
> > broncos can't.
>
> ***********************************
>
> Only three OLinemen away?
>
> We have a problem with our DBs, also.

Our db's are fine. Their success will hinge on our pass rush.

Grimes is a very good CB. Taylor and Davis are very good prospects. Carroll and Patterson are adequate.

We could use a fs, but that's about it as far as db's go.

Bottom line is if our Oline is better our passing game and running games would be better. Heck, we are averaging 22.5 ppg WITHOUT an Oline that can run block or pass protect.

What would we do if we cut the pressures / sacks of our qb in half?

How much better could out defense be if it spent less time on the field and played with a double digit lead on a frequent basis?

Get two OG who can pull, a RT who can pass protect and a legit every down TE and our offense could be very very good.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:09AM

I think the reality is -- we are a LOT further away than 3 OL. And those 3 opening wins are starting to look like total mistakes…

It's unimaginable we don't have a player on the bench that's better than Clabo. Total absolute negligence and grounds for immediate dismissal IMO.

It's unimaginable the coaching staff cannot find a way to structure their OL and TE combination and maybe even add a FB to adequately protect the QB. Total absolute negligence and grounds for immediate dismissal IMO.

This teams lack of being ready to answer the opening bell is highly troublesome and indicative of a team that's obviously NOT READY to play. After so many weeks -- grounds for immediate dismissal IMO.

Ireland has screwed the pooch with the OL, LBs, Wallace (maybe Thill) and managed to turn an off-season with amazing potential (draft capital and cap room) into a train-wreck. He's been living on borrowed time for 3+ seasons and seriously needs to go!

The owner is a football clown. He has NO CLUE as to where to find legit answers. It's time for him to unload this franchise and spend his time building "best in class" (what a cliché that is) circus tents.

My opinion. Of course.

BNF.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:15AM

I think the main 2 problems right now are of course OL, but less obvious is Linebacker play. Ellerbe was out last game, but the reason we are getting slaughtered by TE's and slot guys, is that our LB Unit as a whole is below adequate. The DB's are ok..they will get better, but i think LB play is a growing problem on this team. I am hoping that when Dion James begins playing as a regular starter, this will lessen the need.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:19AM

At this point Ireland has a much worse track record than Philbin.

But I still say the main issue is that Philbin and staff are trying to implement the 'system' they know with guys who just don't fit it very well and that they are unwilling or unable(more likely) to make adjustments.

Date: October 21, 2013 11:20AM

The problems just keep lurching from one position to the next year after year after year... There's never really a complete solution just a bunch of temp patches and sticky glue...

But that's what you get when you have an idiot GM hunting for acorns like the squirrel that he is!

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 11:20AM

I think Ireland overpaying for Wallace, and not signing Long or an adequate replacement, while letting go, of one of the best blocking TE's in the game in Fasano, and Reggie Bush, were not the brightest of moves.. THis team seems likes a teeter totter, fill one whole, and up pops another one..That seems like the story of Irelands GM tenure.... Focus on one hole so much and take for granted other players or parts of the team, thus creating another hole in the roster...

If we had Bush, Fasano and Long or an adequate replacement, we are probably 5-1... Instead we are 3-3... WHich isnt the end of the world... But we have holes, and Ireland created those holes in the roster and there is no getting around that fact.... DUstin Keller getting hurt, was tough, but not sure he would have helped the blocking all that much anyway...

RT had a rough first half, but did score 3 TD's, I expect him to bounce back next week...

I am a frustrated fan, who puts the lions share of the blame on Ireland...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2013 12:11PM by Crowder52.

Date: October 21, 2013 11:36AM

soLong sucks. Forget about that. He was NOT the answer.

Ireland owns the total package.

Like an anchor chained around his neck.

Date: October 21, 2013 12:15PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> soLong sucks. Forget about that. He was NOT the
> answer.
>
> Ireland owns the total package.
>
> Like an anchor chained around his neck.

As bad as you think Long sucks, He is having a decent year, I thought i read someone post last week that he is the 8th rated tackle in the league at this point in the season... As much as you dislike Long, he would have still been the best tackle we have on the roster and a huge upgrade over what we have going on this year... It was ok to overpay Wallace by twenty million but not Long by 8- 10 million... So now we pay for it... I am fine if we let Long go for someone better.. But we forgot about the get someone better part... So getting rid of Long for someone much worse probably wasn't the best plan for our offense...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 21, 2013 01:06PM

Date: October 21, 2013 02:35PM

Tannehill throws well on designed runs or when he gets out in the open.. But it is very difficult to run a base offense like that.. Consistently giving the defense half a field to defend, it doesnt work... When Tannehill escapes pressure and keeps the play alive he is at his best... But for a base offense he needs to plant and deliver the ball, when he is off balance in the slightest in the pocket his accuracy and consistency goes to hell.. He needs time and a legit pocket somewhere from which to deliver the ball. When he has one, he has been pretty good this year, when he doesn't, unless he escapes pressure and gets out in the open, he looks like the same old inaccurate, inconsistent run of the mill QB...

Nietzsche

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 21, 2013 03:44PM

You guys are all forgetting that RT attempts to throw in an average of (right at the top of the league) 2.4 seconds.

Thats not by design...its because of very poor blocking. This forces him to look at one, maybe two receivers then to try a throw. It allows defenders to jump routes, and it severely limits our offense overall because routes that take longer never develop, and Sherman can't use the full playbook.

Add to that the almost non existant running game, a weak defense at times, as well as an abundance of mistakes, and we have a recipe for disaster...like we've seen the last three weeks.

And there is blame aplenty for those things...

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 21, 2013 08:50PM

Date: October 23, 2013 12:10PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> captkoi Wrote:
> -----
> > THE Truth Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I'll wait until the end of the season to
> make
> > any
> > > judgment.
> > >
> > > If we are under . 500 at the end of the year
> > then
> > > you can certainly justify getting rid of
> > everyone.
> > >
> > >
> > > If they are over . 500 then they deserve to
> > > return.
> > >
> > > Funny thing is that this team is 3 olinemen
> > away
> > > from being as good as anyone in the league.
> > >
> > > That's how small the difference is between
> > being
> > > really good or just average.
> > >
> > > We can beat the Colts in their building but
> the
> > > broncos can't.
> >
> > ***********************************
> >
> > Only three OLinemen away?
> >
> > We have a problem with our DBs, also.
>
> Our db's are fine. Their success will hinge on
> our pass rush.
>
> Grimes is a very good CB. Taylor and Davis are
> very good prospects. Carroll and Patterson are
> adequate.
>
> We could use a fs, but that's about it as far as
> db's go.
>
> Bottom line is if our Oline is better our passing
> game and running games would be better. Heck,
> we are averaging 22.5 ppg WITHOUT an Oline that
> can run block or pass protect.
>
> What would we do if we cut the pressures / sacks
> of our qb in half?
>
> How much better could out defense be if it spent
> less time on the field and played with a double
> digit lead on a frequent basis?
>
> Get two OG who can pull, a RT who can pass
> protect and a legit every down TE and our offense
> could be very very good.

Truth, you seriously think our DBs are fine?

Our front seven does a good job (with a breakdown here and there). When the opposing receivers catch the ball, our DBs are quite often at least 5 yards off. There have been many occasions where a 3rd and long meant nothing to the opposing team.

I agree and said that earlier, that the pass rush helps the DBs. Wake has been out (and I'm not even sure he played last week), but our guys were still getting enough pressure on the QB to force him to throw it earlier than he wanted, and the pass was still completed.

I'm not saying we have no talent in the defensive backfield; what we have is one sure starter (Grimes) and a bunch of nickel backs. The two rookies cannot yet be evaluated as they have played very little due to injury. Our safeties are nothing to write home about, either.

Date: October 23, 2013 12:16PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> BigNastyFish Wrote:
> -----
> > soLong sucks. Forget about that. He was NOT the
> > answer.
> >
> > Ireland owns the total package.
> >
> > Like an anchor chained around his neck.
>
>
> As bad as you think Long sucks, He is having a
> decent year, I thought i read someone post last
> week that he is the 8th rated tackle in the league
> at this point in the season... As much as you
> dislike Long, he would have still been the best
> tackle we have on the roster and a huge upgrade
> over what we have going on this year... It was ok
> to overpay Wallace by twenty million but not Long
> by 8- 10 million... So now we pay for it... I am
> fine if we let Long go for someone better.. But we
> forgot about the get someone better part... So
> getting rid of Long for someone much worse
> probably wasn't the best plan for our offense...

Granted, Long would have been our best OLineman, with Pouncey right behind. I can understand Ireland's reasoning, tho, in that Long wanted too much money, and with him being injured that past three (?) seasons before heading for StL, it wasn't worth it.

If Long had not been injured so much, I am sure Ireland would have resigned him as (1) LT is extremely important to a QBs health and (2) Long was one of the best LTs in the NFL.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 25, 2013 08:09AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.