Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Ryan Tannehill 5 games in to season 2, the difference....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Ryan Tannehill 5 games in to season 2, the difference....
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 16, 2013 12:16PM

Here is the issue as I have seen him develop.. Everybody around here knows I had concerns about him pre draft and last year with his play...

What is surprising to me, is that I have seen a lot in him these first 5 games, that makes me have ten times the confidence I had in him at the end of last season... While many of you that really liked him pre draft and last year, these 5 games have made your support for him wain... It strikes me as odd, so I thought I would tell you why I like what I have seen and what helped give me more confidence then I had in his future..

RT tends to have accuracy issues at times, even more last year then this year... The reason being in his and his coaches mind, is his footwork.. Last year he was moving around a lot, which lead to unbalanced and not consistent stances and footwork, when he released the ball.. WHich lead to consistency and accuracy issues..

This year the coaches got him focused in on his feet and being planted when he releases the ball. Initially this lead to him dropping back, staying frozen keeping his eyes downfield as long as possible.. He has delivered many balls in the pocket that last year he would have already been running or throwing as he scrambled.. WHich would have made him less accurate with those throws... The problems after game 1 and 2, Was he was staying so focused downfield with his eyes, he was forgetting about the rush...
To combat that weakness, the following week, you saw him step back and plant then automatically step up into the pocket and re plant. So he wasnt just staying in one spot like a statue, much tougher to rush on by defenders.

It was development, and part of the development is both stepping up, but at the same time, keeping eyes downfield as long as possible, and keeping his feet consistently balanced and placed... All of this takes times to work itself out. But I see all the pieces, and he is learning and improving..

Yes RT can is excellent at rolling out throwing on the run on designed plays... But that is not good for the offense to do that, so they avoid doing it... They want him to develop the right way, sometimes that is leading to these issues of sacks and failing to get rid of the ball... But most of the time even though a play might go bad, he is doing the right things...
Finally, one play summed it up for me, and that was the 4th down play against the ravens from our own 20, to what I believe was the Ravens 35-40.. I originally thought it was a pass to Clay but it was actually GIbson who caught it... ANyways on that play, the pass rush was strong, the DE and DT had him within their grasps 1.5 seconds into the snap of the ball, he got away from them on his own, rolled out but still kept the whole play in his view and delivered a perfect money pass, with all of the pressure in the world, like it was nothing... That play taught me more about RT's potential then any play I have ever seen him run in college or pro's..

Granted the next play was the epitome of his lack of experience and possibly cost us the game... It is just part of his development.. Without his magic on 4th down, we are never in the position he singlehandedly put us in, on the play before.. There isnt a QB in the history of the NFL that could have played that 4th down and ten from his own 20 with extreme pass rush pressure, 1;20 or thereabouts left, any better then RT did..

While all the pieces are not together at this point with his game, he is learning and developing and that is all you can ask a guy to do in his position... He is doing what he is doing without consistent help from his Oline or RB's. Doesn't have a great blocking TE, nor RB, and using the 2nd string passing TE...
My only main concern I really have on him at this point, is his small hands and that fumbling issue... Not sure you can teach someone how to grow bigger hands that can grip the ball with more force...

ANyways that is why I like what I see despite the obvious mistakes that have occurred.. As long as his development continues each week I will continue to feel more confidence about him, despite sacks that are on him and failing to get rid of the balls at times...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ryan Tannehill 5 games in to season 2, the difference....
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 16, 2013 01:12PM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 17, 2013 02:03AM

Until the O-line develops, improves considerably, RT is a stationary target trying to sit in the pocket. Movement, scrambling, or by design affords more time to a) not get sacked, b) throw the ball away, without it being called for grounding, or c) actually finding an open receiver to throw the ball too which may include Wallace going deep.

Becoming a pocket passer may be the "right way" in NFL coaching circles, but I'm not certain it's the "best" way today because of the focus on the passing game where pressure on the QB is coming from more than one "standard" position. Superior teams protect and defend the QB better than others (Broncos, Saints, NE, Gcool smiley. Pocket passers excel on those teams.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 17, 2013 02:25AM

Nice observation Crowder, i've given you enough sh*t about negativity towards RT17, so I got to give credit where credit is due.smileys with beer

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 17, 2013 02:36AM

I hope this isn't a recurring issue about the lack of protection as lack of a running game was for Marino his entire career. The sky is the limit if we can get better on the line. Overall I am still happy about our QB. He has exceeded expectations at every point thus far.

Look at the progression of Drew Brees (not that they are similar players). Although Drew sat the bench for his first year he had average to below average numbers in years 2 and 3 with little success. He only won 10 games in his first 26 games (over 2 years) as a starter. Ryan has that many wins after 19 games.

It was all the way into year 4 (3rd as starter) before the light came on for Brees and where he made a huge jump in efficiency (27 td/7int) while winning 11 games (12 wins in 2004 for Chargers). (They had marty Shottenheimer, Cam Cameron, Hudson Houck and Wade Phillips on D)

Even though Tannehill has much less experience he may be at that turning point already and more than capable to put up an 11 win season but still has things to work on so he may be into year 3 before he gets to that next level.

One thing I find puzzling is that for a guy who excelled at WR in college and who runs a very good 40, he's not as athletic as one would expect. He has the open field speed but is not athletic, quick or shifty. Definitely not a quick twitch player. Hopefully, that pocket awareness is yet to come.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 17, 2013 05:06AM

designed roll outs are not good because it cuts the field in half or less with Tannehill. I have no issues however with him rolling out on his own to escape from pressure.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 17, 2013 05:11AM

I woul dlike to see them more on short yardage and goal line. How many times have we watched a QB walk into the end zone after a roll out or naked bootleg?

If the Qb rolls out the DB or LB has to make a quick decision....rush the QB and leave the receiver open or cover the defender and let the Qb free. He chooses one and the QB can do the other.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: October 17, 2013 11:55AM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Until the O-line develops, improves considerably,
> RT is a stationary target trying to sit in the
> pocket. Movement, scrambling, or by design affords
> more time to a) not get sacked, b) throw the ball
> away, without it being called for grounding, or c)
> actually finding an open receiver to throw the
> ball too which may include Wallace going deep.
>
> Becoming a pocket passer may be the "right way" in
> NFL coaching circles, but I'm not certain it's the
> "best" way today because of the focus on the
> passing game where pressure on the QB is coming
> from more than one "standard" position. Superior
> teams protect and defend the QB better than others
> (Broncos, Saints, NE, Gcool smiley. Pocket passers excel on
> those teams.

Wallace going deep takes time for the play to develop, and IMO RT worst pass is that fly route deep ball pass, he has a hard time judging the timing with Wallace... But that pass to Gibson with him coming across the field is more his bread and butter...
The scrambling leads to inconsistency and accuracy problems... I think they need to have designs that move the pocket, away from the rushers that are putting the most pressure on him... RT really needs the time to plant his feet and make a good throw, when he doesnt plant his feet or is rolling out, he is not that accurate...
As Dolphin said, rolling out cuts the field in half, and makes it much easier for the defense to defend. The broken play as, he did on the 4th down I am fine with... But Designed roll outs other then on the goal line etc, make it much easier to defend a smaller field... And ultimately hurt our offense...

I think RT keeping his eyes downfield and feet planted is the most important part of his development... He needs to feel the pressure or anticipate it without taking his eyes from down the field... I think with more experience, he will learn instinctively how to shift the pocket and better escape the rush... But right now accuracy and consistency is way more important IMO...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: October 20, 2013 09:06AM

Tannehill is moving around to much and not planting his feet, he looks like he did last year, with his accuracy issues...

Nietzsche

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 20, 2013 11:57AM

tannehill is horrible. he continues to look on where he is throwing the ball before the snap, makes me sick!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 20, 2013 02:10PM

dolphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> tannehill is horrible. he continues to look on
> where he is throwing the ball before the snap,
> makes me sick!!!

Are you honestly watching him that close?

I still say he may stare down his receiver on occasion, but not always; in fact, I would say he does a pretty good job of surveying the field. If he locked down on his one receiver, no one in the pass patterns would get the ball except that one guy, and there would be a ton more interceptions thrown.

RT is not horrible; he is still learning, and at the same time, is doing some really good things. Once again tho, this fan base is used to Marino. We need to get over that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.