HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Prayers for Adrian Peterson
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Prayers for Adrian Peterson
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 11, 2013 01:17PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Prayers for Adrian Peterson
Date: October 11, 2013 02:01PM

I see things like this , it turns my stomach. I couldn't imagine , My 2 boys are my life. Hope he finds peace.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 11, 2013 02:28PM

Some men (and women) are like animals. When they move into the nest and take up with the mate, they kill the offspring of the parent they replaced.

We need to do it like they did in the ole West. You commit the murder on Monday. You are tried by Thursday and you're swinging at the end of a rope tied to a tree by Sunday morning.

Edited to add. The above is not just emotional reaction by me. I have NEVER believed in the assumption that just because the calender you look at has more numbers than years before, we know "better" than what those people who went before us knew.

As far as technology, yes, we do know better.

But in terms of behavior and how to react to aberrant behavior, I don't think so.

Some would consider the ole West way of things aberrant. But it meant "deterrence to the max."

You knew killing meant certain death. Sure it didn't deter those who didn't mind dying but most killers care very much for their own lives.

In any event if one guy is deterred by death and the other guy is deterred by a life sentence, why get rid of either punishment?

But if you have a death penalty, it has to be swift and certain.

What about the innocent being executed? Hey, is it any worse than the person dying accidentally in a car crash and if the deterrent effect of the swift penalty saves other lives of potential murder victims, isn't it the same balancing of harm versus good we make when we allow people to drive in cars with the risk of accidental death?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2013 10:03PM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 12, 2013 11:42AM

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: October 13, 2013 05:46AM

The real question why is he insisting to play today after this tragedy.

Their are other things more important than football, and rushing titles.

If I were him I would not even think about playing today. It's all

about priorities I'm afraid.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: October 13, 2013 06:14AM

Finshady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The real question why is he insisting to play
> today after this tragedy.
>
> Their are other things more important than
> football, and rushing titles.
>
> If I were him I would not even think about playing
> today. It's all
>
> about priorities I'm afraid.

I don't think any of us are in a position to judge him on this.

He wasn't raising the child who was living with his mother in another state. The child has passed, there is nothing he can do for the boy at this point except pray and attend a funeral.

A lot of people go back to work as soon as possible when they are grieving. It can serve as a distraction and a way of coping.

If I were in his shoes I'd play as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2013 06:45AM by THE Truth.

Date: October 13, 2013 06:38AM

It was reported he never met the child until he was on life support and had just found out that it was his child...
Horrible situation and I agree we are in no place to judge him over whether or not he plays...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: October 13, 2013 07:18AM

Finshady Wrote:
> The real question why is he insisting to play
> today after this tragedy.
>
> Their are other things more important than
> football, and rushing titles.
>
> If I were him I would not even think about playing
> today. It's all
>
> about priorities I'm afraid.

Not judging him , because I don't know him. But lots of children with issues don't get the help they need in the NFL world because the game over shadows their life & often their needs. Look at our own Coach Philbin. Shame what happened, but 13-16 hr days away from your family adds up after a while.

People here say a lot of things about Coach Jimmy Johnson but I have the upmost respect for him. Because he choose his family over the game of Football.

Life is about choices. You look at some of the greatest players in the league , you have to wonder what they gave up to get there. Today is a bye week, I'm not watching football. Going behind the house and taking my youngest fishing and then to the movies . Will meet my oldest and take the family out to dinner.

May all of you have a great day as well.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 13, 2013 08:11AM

Treasure, Jimmy Johnson chose fishing over football not family... He has been a fishing machine since he quit coaching.... But you are right family sounds better then fishing....

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: October 13, 2013 08:54AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Treasure, Jimmy Johnson chose fishing over
> football not family... He has been a fishing
> machine since he quit coaching.... But you are
> right family sounds better then fishing....

Nope. Do your homework. His mom died and then his father in very short order. This was in 99'. He wanted to quit then but Hiezinga convinced him 1 more year. His last game he was blown out 63-7. Marino's as well. His heart wasn't in it anymore, he realized how much he was missing with his family. His kids. He quit and never coached again.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 13, 2013 09:51AM

Date: October 13, 2013 09:58AM

He did fish with his sons a lot so maybe fishing and family were one in he same back then...

Nietzsche

Date: October 13, 2013 11:59AM

You can't compare Fishing and working. I read his book. I still have it if you want to PM your address I'll gladly send it to you.

The Man realized how much he missed when his mom and dad died so close together. He never coached again.

Fishing is a great way to bond with your kids. I am the very worst Fishermen you will ever meet. I've turned the hottest spots colder then Ice. I've lost more tackle the n a Bass Pro shop holds. I even lost my friends pole once when he asked me to hold it. (I'm from NYC so forgive me) Its not in my blood. But my sons are native Floridians and love it , so I do it. I'd much rather sit on my couch with a guitar . LOL.

Lots of props to Jimmy Johnson. He is richer then most NFL Alumni that I can think of.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 13, 2013 12:18PM

I suspect what he's feeling now is equal parts devastation and rage.

Rick

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 14, 2013 07:00AM

Peterson cheated on his fiancé with another woman and got her pregnant. About 3 months ago he found out the child is his, the first time he ever seen the child was on Thursday when he was on life support.

Adrian played because he had no emotional attachment to a child that he never knew or meant to have. The picture that is being sent around of him handing a child a football is NOT the child who died, in fact, he impregnated his mistress and his fiancé in the same time period. So the child in the picture he actually raises.

In the big picture, its an absolute shame that child abuse takes place. I have 3 kids of my own and I couldn't imagine ever laying a hand on them in rage. Its saddening to see that this happened.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 14, 2013 10:14AM

There is definitely a difference in attitudes now than in the 50's and 60's.

I once had a torrid night in 68-69 school year at Berkeley with a non-student who had a boyfriend in the peace corps overseas but she cussed me out later that week when I called her again and then she went off to New England for about 9 months.

Then she came back to the Bay Area and started cheating with me on her boyfriend again an act that caused me to be cheating on my English girlfriend who took a credit card receipt and confronted me with the fact that I got gas about a block away from the location of her job (stupid thing for a future prosecutor to do). Then the guy comes back from the Peace Corps and she marries him. The marriage was in about 1975. LOL, Her father, a blue collar guy, who used to hate him because he was a peace corps hippie was more than happy to have him back compared to me. You know what I'm talking about.

I've always wondered whether she had a child in New England and never told me.

I always imagined that if she (I'd like to think it was a daughter since I have two sons and no daughter) showed up at my door, I would love her as much as my two sons, no questions asked.

Because of the rigidity of social mores in the 1940's, there were many situations going on wherein children lived all their lives thinking they were the offspring of a certain parent (even mothers) and found out that someone else was their parent. But you had "instant love" when you found out. Today it seems that even for a child, love has to be earned. I'm sorry. I was just not made that way.

But all of this to say that I'm not in Adrian's situation in terms of not having known the child nor do I want to be so I'm not going to pass judgement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.