HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Repercussions from Losing
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Repercussions from Losing
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 13, 2013 10:45AM

Colonel was talking about local game day support here Dolph... No special fan rights, but for a guy that lives a far to criticize the local fan base for what Colonel was talking about just isnt right... You have no idea what you are talking about, when you dont spend your game days in south florida.. But want to make judgements to those of us that do from a far... That is my issue with your comment on this topic...

If the post was about the toughness it is to live in Chicago, NE or NY, and being a Dolphins fan, I wouldnt have any idea about that... And wouldnt criticize from a far either. Cause I would be talking out of my ass.. But this post was about the repercussion from losing and the effects on the local fans and support on game day, that Colonel feels and has experienced after the back to back losses...

And in your opinion we are the worst.. Sorry if that doesnt make me feel all warm and fuzzy towards your opinion from a far towards the area I am born an bread multiple generations... Yeah I take that type of smack talk a little personal, even if you initially exempted me from being part of the worst local fan base in the NFL. Like that is suppose to make me feel better about your comments... That is like someone criticizing your whole family but telling you, you are alright and I didnt mean you...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 13, 2013 03:11PM

Hey man, I already apologized for exempting you, what more do you want?spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 13, 2013 03:15PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
That is like someone criticizing your
> whole family but telling you, you are alright and
> I didnt mean you...

smileys with beer

Date: October 14, 2013 01:49PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Hey man, I already apologized for exempting you,
> what more do you want?(tongue sticking out smiley

Dolph if I didnt really like and understand you I would probably take your position wrong .. Colonel asked me, does Dolph really think we are the worst fans because of what we are saying......
It is ok to not always bash on us locals, in times of frustration... understanding is an ok position to take every once in while... I do understand a bit of your frustration, you have contempt for us locals that get frustrated... Because I am sure like many of you that live a far, feel that us locals, take for granted what we have in our backyard. And would do anything and be much more appreciative, to have the opportunity to just go to a game anytime you want and support your favorite team then we do.. I get it, but the perspective is very different... And you always want what you cant have, and resent those that have it in a weird way.... You envision a reality that is a fairy tale so to speak and I dont mean that in a bad way... We live in the reality of what it is and going on being in that position... We are not the worst local NFL fan base. South Florida and its fans love the Dolphins and bleed aqua and orange. The Dolphins are an institution around here... And guys like Colonel and myself, are long time local supporters, that have been understandably burned out a bit... Neither makes the other a bad fan or worse fan. Just different perspectives from different views.. But we all love our Dolphins, no matter how it might be expressed from time to time...
cheers, and go Dolphins!smileys with beer

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: October 15, 2013 08:16AM

Crowder, i've never meant my stance to be offensive to the local fans, I understand how it is offensive, but it's not meant that way. My point is simple, because of the transient nature of Miami proper (just like San Diego), there just isn't the long standing tradition of season tickets getting handed down from generation to generation like you see in places like Cleveland, G Bay, Chicago, etc. I'm not saying that doesn't happen either, but it's not like you see in other places, there's something like a 20 year wait for season tickets in G Bay I believe. Add in a decade of bad football chasing away some fed up fans....and walla, empty seats.

Now, my response to Colonel might of seemed harsh, but I thought it was a little dramatic to declare fans are staying away from the team because of a 3-2 start, with our 2 loses against arguably the 2nd best team in the NFL (in their house) and the defending SB champs.
Add in guys like (the very emotional) SamSam declaring everything and everybody associated with the team sucks, and going back a few years, the fan boycot outside the stadium....all 20 of them, the booing of Chad Henne AT A SCRIMMAGE, all the whining about logo's, fight songs, red carpets, etc., and it seems like our local fan base is not that passionate about the team on the field. It's no wonder the national media guys treat this team like a joke when the local fans are no better! Why should they give us respect when we as fans don't give the team any?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 09:20AM by dolphaholic.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 15, 2013 09:45AM

Dolphaholic--
I took no offense to anything you've stated. I was a bit perplexed about how you stated it.

Comparing football locales is interesting. Fans are different across the country as far as I can tell. Some are more fervent than others and appear to support the team by attending games en masse.

It disappoints me to see a stadium half filled with people no matter where it is. It is especially disappointing here at Joe Robbie Stadium. (it will always be that to me.)

Serving in the military as long as I did, I didn't have the opportunity to go to the games in person. I had to rely on scant newspaper coverage, delayed or rebroadcasts of the game, or videos sent me from my dad. Trying to follow them was difficult while stationed in Northern VA--Redskins territory. Those fans are crazy for the team. The game on Sunday is an extravaganza event for Washingtonians. They pack the stadium and then talk about the game, win or lose, all week long until the next game. Nothing else exists. TV coverage, radio talk shows, bombard you with Redskins football. Other teams? Nothing doing. This scenario repeats itself during the season. When football season is over, they are shell-shocked. What to do now?

This scenario exists in a lot of places where the winter activities are minimal.

As I've mentioned before on this forum, the Dolphins, created in 1966, were terrible until Shula arrived. Things blossomed for the fans with great seasons and weekly football excitement.

With the knuckleheads that followed Shula, none provided the level of coaching and excitement we had experienced under Shula and his coaching staff. We got spoiled. Because South Florida offers so many things to so many people, and the weather is generally terrific, when the fun factor drops off, fans head for other activities. This is the way it is here. Knowing this behavior, I opined that the next home game following the bye would not be a game that would fill the stadium seats. I mentioned the loss to New Orleans and how all the celebrity talking heads on TV said we had no chance. Then the knuckleheads on MNF belittled us. This stuff gets old. All of these things factor in along with a terrible front line and a team that's being ridiculed for allowing sacks. Local fans aren't happy.

Notwithstanding, on game day, you walk around and see Dolphins' fans everywhere. Some don old jerseys others new ones or t-shirts and caps. The generation t-shirts are apparent. Some from the 70s, lots from the 90s. They wear white, aqua, teal, orange....but they aren't going to the game.

Win at home and the fans will come.

Date: October 15, 2013 10:35AM

As I have said before what drove me to give up my season tickets. Is that the prices more then doubled when the contract came up.. The tickers went from being $250 a ticket a game, to $700 a ticket per game.. Combine that with the hiring of Cam Cameron, the problems with getting in and out of the stadium. It didnt make sense to pay $1400 a game instead of $500, when the product had regressed so much... It kind of pissed me off to be honest with you... The tickets had been in my family since JRS opened and were 2 of the best in the house, so it was a bit tough to let them go..

So to me it was cost vs what type of product i was getting and I just couldnt justify doing it..
GNR Baby bought the seats from me, instead of giving them up, and had 2 more next those, He still takes me, to a couple games a year, and lets me sit in my old seats for the nostalgia of it all...lol...

Those decision didnt make me any less of a Dolphins fan, and it was a combination of events that drove me away from season ticket ownership...
I would like to go back one day, to take my sons to more games as they grow up, as I was taken... However, I dont feel any sense of urgency at this point to rush out and do it...

If I am going to be charged a premium for seats, might as well wait until they have value... You couldnt scalp your tickets in most cases for half of face value... It didnt use to be that way... But the market is dictating their value and most season ticket holders are being grossly overcharged for the majority of the games, remember they also charge the same price and force you to buy preseason tixs as well...

Nietzsche

Date: October 15, 2013 11:34AM

Well, that's a different story then starting a post declaring you're not going anymore because we lost two in a row, kinda see my point? And to be honest, with those kind of prices, I'm not sure I'd be a season ticket holder if I lived in Miami either. But you can't tell me there's not money there for it when the Heat sell out every night.

Date: October 15, 2013 11:54AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Well, that's a different story then starting a
> post declaring you're not going anymore because we
> lost two in a row, kinda see my point? And to be
> honest, with those kind of prices, I'm not sure
> I'd be a season ticket holder if I lived in Miami
> either. But you can't tell me there's not money
> there for it when the Heat sell out every night.

The difference is value. You can sell your Heat season tickets for more then face value and people salivate to get them.. So what you are being charged by the Heat to be a loyal season tickets holder is actually a discount from what the market value is for those tickets.. If you cant make it to a game, you can sell them on stubhub for more then you have in them at any time... It is the opposite with Dolphins season tickets at this point.. You pay a huge premium not a discounted rate... I guess it is the business and financial fundamentals that bother me about it...

And to be honest the business fundamentals is on Wayne not Ross... Wayne jacked up the prices so he could over charge Ross for the team... The cost was a huge reason over 20,000 season tickets were given up... Wayne created an inflated value of what the tickets were worth and per seat was worth... WHich justified a higher price for the team... But the market didnt bear the price change with the product, so tickets were quickly given up... And Ross was left holding the bag...

Nietzsche

Date: October 15, 2013 04:56PM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 16, 2013 02:50AM

The Miami Heat doesn't compare to the Dolphins. With the Heat you have the best basketball player on the planet right now and a supporting cast that produces exciting games and WINS. The media talks about James daily so the spotlight is on him and the Heat. That's real excitement. If they were a bumbling team with no relevant players worth watching and few wins, there would be slight fan interest and lots of vacant seats. The Heat is the acknowledged team to beat. The Dolphins have been in the past decade one of the teams to beat on. Big difference.

With that said, I surely hope the Dolphins come back strong and clobber the Bills and that all the great plays are shown on National TV.

Date: October 16, 2013 03:02AM

dolphaholic Wrote:

> And your argument about the Heat season ticket
> owners scalping tickets doesn't really hold water,
> someone's buying them and filling the venue every
> night?

I guess the point went right over your head, either that or you are choosing to ignore the point just for the sake of argument...
The Heat sell tickets at or below market value.. The Dolphins sell tickets at a premium price, as much as double the market value... People dont rush out to overpay for anything, even the mighty DOlphins tickets...

If you buy a house or any product for that matter and have to turn around and sell it. You want to get what you paid or more for it... That is how it works with the Heat... With the Dolphins if you buy tickets, you have to take a bath in order to sell them... That means, the Dolphins are overcharging, or charging more then the market value will bear for their tickets... the Heat sells them at a discount... Pretty simple business principles...

One Business is taking advantage of the customers emotions to over charge them for a product... The other is selling at or below market value... What is considered a good deal in the business lexicon.. The other is considered a bad deal based on the financials. Because you can not sell it for even close to what you paid.... pretty simple to understand... Get the picture, now?

One has a superior product, which creates more demand for tickets.. Law of supply and demand, The other has had an inferior product for a long while, so demand is low, and therefor prices are affected negatively... Yet they still take advantage of their most loyal fans by over charging them.. Not a good model or business philosophy.. You burn more bridges when customers feel taken advantage of and it doesnt last long... Hence the 20,000 season tixs that were given up in JRS in recent years...

It doesnt matter what the avg fan experience cost is.. For every market has a different demand depending on what type of product and experience they are selling...

Nietzsche

Date: October 16, 2013 04:55AM

Thanks for helping me make my point Crowder and Colonel.....that is that local Dolphins fans arent really crazy about the team unless they're winning........you guys are greatspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.