HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Philbin to stay with o line starters
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Philbin to stay with o line starters
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 08, 2013 07:08AM

I've been a defender of Philbin but I have to admit, I can't even begin to fathom why he wouldn't try to make a change or two to an offensive line this is on pace to break the NFL season record for sacks allowed. We are talking about the potential for an historically bad offensive line. We've given up more sacks in 5 games them other teams give up in a year. It's so bad that Tyson Clabo's play has made me long for the days of Marc Columbo.I'd call him a turnstile but it's harder to get past a turnstile. There is NO way that Nate Garner was worse last year when he took over for Martin. Just make that one switch and see how it goes. Can Garner be that much worse? I doubt it. I'm totally mystified as to why Philbin will stick with a combination of lineman that are taking ineptitude to a new level perhaps never before seen. What on earth am I missing. I know Philbin knows a lot more than I could possibly know, but I'm still in disbelief that he plans to stand pat through the bye week.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Philbin to stay with o line starters
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: October 08, 2013 07:22AM

He's probably not making a change because he doesn't think the backups have any chance of making a difference and he's in no rush to put tannehill in even more danger.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 08, 2013 07:26AM

Omar Kelly ?@OmarKelly 39m Joe Philbin said Danny Watkins got more snaps today than he has at any point in the previous week. Bye week good time to examine changes.

Omar Kelly ?@OmarKelly 41m Joe Philbin said the Dolphins will look at every avenue possible to improve the team's protection.

Omar Kelly ?@OmarKelly 33m Ryan Tannehill said the Dolphins will use the bye week to improve on screens, moving the pocket and the Dolphins' quick passing game.

Not sure where you got that he isn't going to anything?

Date: October 08, 2013 07:42AM

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 08, 2013 11:17AM

How about running out of the same formation instead of telegraphing the running plays.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 08, 2013 11:49AM

Because, dolphin, Philbin lacks even such simple baseline imagination but in his mind, he is the best coach ever.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 08, 2013 12:52PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Omar Kelly ?@OmarKelly 39m Joe Philbin said Danny
> Watkins got more snaps today than he has at any
> point in the previous week. Bye week good time to
> examine changes.
>
> Omar Kelly ?@OmarKelly 41m Joe Philbin said the
> Dolphins will look at every avenue possible to
> improve the team's protection.
>
> Omar Kelly ?@OmarKelly 33m Ryan Tannehill said the
> Dolphins will use the bye week to improve on
> screens, moving the pocket and the Dolphins' quick
> passing game.
>
> Not sure where you got that he isn't going to
> anything?

It was in the Herald (on line). Those words came right out of Philbin's mouth, and I had a hard time believing what I was reading.

I did read where RT said they (should) be running more roll outs after the bye. It has been in the playbook and the Fins have run it a few times, but the plan is to do it a little more from now on. That was good news to RT's ears.

Date: October 08, 2013 07:35PM

cap, both of those are music to my ears, the o line experimentation and rolling out Tanny more.

I hope it comes true. I'll bet my bottom dollar that, at least with Tanny, we do a lot better.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 08, 2013 09:14PM

" Because, dolphin, Philbin lacks even such simple baseline imagination but in his mind, he is the best coach ever."

I had no idea that you are a mindreader.

Rick

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 09, 2013 03:24AM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 09, 2013 04:42AM

I agree that play calling is terrible. The idea of deceiving the opposition seldom occurs. Everyone in the stadium, alright almost everyone, knows when a Dolphins' play will be a pass or a run. When the team can't make headway running the ball, and we fall behind in the score, you can bet the farm that 80% of the plays will be passing plays and that the O-line is going to be facing oncoming rushers. We are brilliant at telegraphing our plays! None better. thumbs down

When our play calling weakness is so apparent, and out O-line can't match up against the defense, movement by the QB is necessary to avoid sacks and to find an open receiver. This isn't a hypothesis nor conjecture.

When we can deceive the opposition a la Peyton Manning in his bootleg running TD where no one in the stadium but the play caller and his team mates know what was planned; then and only then will we have a chance at beating the teams in our division.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 09, 2013 06:09AM

I read an article in the Herald dated December 2012 which pointed out that Garner hadn't allowed a sack in 104 passing plays over a three week span last year. I said it before and I'll say it again--there is NO way that Garner would be any worse than Clabo and I think the empirical data, would suggest that he'd be much better.

Date: October 09, 2013 10:47AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> " Because, dolphin, Philbin lacks even such simple
> baseline imagination but in his mind, he is the
> best coach ever."
>
> I had no idea that you are a mindreader.

But Rick if every person who was egotistical had to TELL US that he was egotistical, otherwise we could never say that without being called "mindreaders", then there would be no such word as "egotistical" because, LOL, being egotistical, I DOUBT they would EVER admit to being such a negative thing.

As such, as far as "egotistical" is concerned, we all have to be mindreaders or shall we say, "mind assessors." LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2013 10:58AM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 09, 2013 10:53AM

I dislike roll outs it cuts down on half the field and Tannehill already does that by locking onto his receiver before the snap.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 09, 2013 11:39AM

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 10, 2013 06:14AM

they need balance on offense. ray rice ran it 27x for 74 yards. That's 2.7/carry. if we do that on 5 carries we abandon the running game. Especially at home in the heat. If we continued to pound the ball the ravens would have wilted. Instead they did it to us. Our d was spent when rice score his 2nd td.

commit to the run. trust your qb will convert on 3rd and 6+ or mix in a run in those situations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 06:18AM by jsm08.

Date: October 10, 2013 06:52AM

I believe this is more on Irlend the Philbin at this point. Philbin can only coach what he's given.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 10, 2013 10:21AM

dolphin Wrote:
> I dislike roll outs it cuts down on half the field
> and Tannehill already does that by locking onto
> his receiver before the snap.

He may still have a tendency to do that on occasion, but it has been pointed out in hi-lites that he surveys the field on pass plays, and quite often hits his 3rd progression.

As far as roll outs....It has been suggested on this board numerous times that RT should roll out....ON OCCASION. This not only saves RT much pain, but also forces the defense to hesitate just enough where RT has that extra second to find his receiver and let the ball go, both from the pocket and outside.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 10, 2013 03:08PM

I don't know about that. I'm pretty egotistical and I don't pretend to be a mindreader. I leave that stuff to Miss Cleo.

Rick

Date: October 10, 2013 04:07PM

So you yourself admit that you are egotistical but if someone called you that, egotistical that is, they would have to be a mindreader?

LOL. This could be a discussion had in a philosophy class.

For those who forgot what this was about, I said that Philbin is egotistical.

Date: October 11, 2013 02:13AM

Sweet Miss Cleo reference! thumbs up

Date: October 11, 2013 02:19AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> I believe this is more on Irlend the Philbin at
> this point. Philbin can only coach what he's
> given.

I think Ireland is a much better GM with Philbin than he was with Sporano, the reason for that you ask?.....Because they work well together, for that reason, I think it's equal parts blame on this O-line mess, unless reports come out that Philbin was begging JI not to sign Clabo and he did anyway, they're both at fault. Plus it's Philbins job to coach around deficiency's, and it's high time he starts........50/50 blame IMO

Date: October 12, 2013 12:06PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I believe this is more on Irlend the Philbin at
> > this point. Philbin can only coach what he's
> > given.
>
>
> I think Ireland is a much better GM with Philbin
> than he was with Sporano, the reason for that you
> ask?.....Because they work well together, for that
> reason, I think it's equal parts blame on this
> O-line mess, unless reports come out that Philbin
> was begging JI not to sign Clabo and he did
> anyway, they're both at fault. Plus it's Philbins
> job to coach around deficiency's, and it's high
> time he starts........50/50 blame IMO

I was reading the Sun-Sentinel on line and the author pointed out that Miami didn't have many options concerning the OLine prior to the season. Would it have been worth Miami moving up to the 3rd pick to pick what was left of the OLinemen? Maybe in hindsight, but at the time?

Ireland did the best he could (I guess) by taking Thomas in the 3rd round. I believe Thomas has been hurt which has prevented him from competing for a starting spot? Correct me if I'm wrong, guys.

Philbin can only coach what he is given is what was said (above). OK, but he is a former OLine coach (as was Sparano). Neither coach has done much with the OLine except shuffle it around (Sparano) and stick with what he has (PHilbin). These coaches are supposed to be able to coach their guys up. Don't see much of that. Now, if they have been trying and failing to do so, then, as I and many others have suggested, it is time to work around those deficiency's. Change how the offense attacks. Can't keep doing the same ol' same ol'.

Again, I hope Philbin was blowing smoke when he said he is happy with what he has on the OLine...."they are hard workers."

Date: October 14, 2013 02:39PM

Oh, brother.

Read on-line (Herald) where Sherman was asked about having RT do more 3-step drops....he said that Miami is a 5-step drop team.

Really? That's it? RT is getting killed and the philosophy won't be changed because Miami is a 5-step drop team?

Don't know what to say about that.

Date: October 14, 2013 03:12PM

I do. He is wedded to "systems" and it is unimportant what happens on the field as long as it fits his concept of how he wants to run the team or see the team run.

Don Shula had ground and pound under Griese and Csonka but when Marino and his magic Markers came along, he adapted his coaching to his talent.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.