HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Reality has set in
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Reality has set in
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: October 06, 2013 11:27AM

our offensive line is offensive, and this team sucks. We were lucky to win 3 games, and I am embarrassed that I even like this sorry ass team.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reality has set in
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 06, 2013 12:21PM

Don't go that far Finshady. We can hate how the team is playing without beginning to dislike the team.

Date: October 06, 2013 12:23PM

But this was the first game since BEFORE WE DRAFTED HIM that I was truly disappointed with Tannehill's play. I thought he would "step it up" after last week. He seems to have played even worse than last week.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 06, 2013 12:50PM

ChyrenB--
I sense part of the Tannehill's disappointing play is related to his time back at Texas AM. I saw Skip Bayless talk about Tannehill the other day and pointed out that he watched him during college and found that he would play 3 games in a row, look good, and then crap out the next week. Then do it again. He plays decent then goes to hell. I sense that is the damn coaching from Sherman. Something gets into the kids head and good bye charlie. Sherman isn't calling a good game for the Dolphins either. We abandoned the running game and left it up to Tannehill to do something when our O-line is porous. He is taking sacks like a whore takes customers, right and left. Very, very disappointed.

To make matters worse, is that in the last two minutes of play, we were out coached. Why in the world do we throw away our time-outs. Sparano did that with Henne. It's beginning to really gall me know that we aren't learning from past mistakes. We do the same stupid thing over and over. And, I want to add this. Philbin our HC looked like he was "deer in the headlights" when the camera showed him on the side lines.
I hope he takes credit for the loss when we had a chance to move the ball down the field to at least tie the game. Putting Sturis in an impossible position kind of made him the goat. BAD, BAD, for Philbin and Sherman.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: October 06, 2013 01:01PM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 06, 2013 01:12PM

OK I'll buy your explanation on the timeouts.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 06, 2013 01:27PM

bonehead coaching move of the game was spiking the ball after the big 4th down conversion to gibson. completely asinine. you don't throw away a down at that point!!

also poor clock management not calling TO before the 2 min warning in the 4th

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: October 06, 2013 01:32PM

play calling is horrendous. Run out of the shotgun formation some to keep someone honest. goodness. Defense just tees off because they know 95% of the time we throw out of that formation.

Tannehill still locks on receivers and still underthrows Wallace.

Date: October 06, 2013 02:03PM

Colonel, could it be that Tannehill is just not a POCKET quarterback and cannot be made into one???????

I frankly don't think we need one but I don't want to argue that one here.

As far as the coaching, what can I say.

Actually, it was a little better than last week,

This week the two bad things

were that 1) EARLY IN THE GAME did you notice they gave those of us who criticized that 3rd and inch pitchback LAST WEEK by doing it again "just to say we're the ones in control" of course, it met with the same result.

and

2) I think once we got to the 35 yard line in the final two minutes, you keep running the ball to get the field goal.

I know we had a minute and there was a chance (a slim chance though if you think about it) of ACTUALLY GOING AHEAD, but I say you

a) FIRST GET TO THE POINT where the field goal is a "can't miss" AND THEN YOU TAKE YOUR SHOTS AT A TOUCHDOWN.

LOL. (I'm beginning to laugh at it now) these clowns, Sherman and Philbin, ACTUALLY DO THE REVERSE,

they FIRST try to get the touchdown and then leave it to the kicker to bail them out.

I told you. They did the same thing to Carpenter last year.

Date: October 06, 2013 02:33PM

Hell what if if the offensive line blocked we should convince them that their is a buffet line behind Tannehill. If we do that ain't no body getting through pathetic really.

Date: October 06, 2013 02:36PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bonehead coaching move of the game was spiking the
> ball after the big 4th down conversion to gibson.
> completely asinine. you don't throw away a down at
> that point!!
>
> also poor clock management not calling TO before
> the 2 min warning in the 4th

You have to spike the ball.

Your entire team has to move 40 yards downfield while getting a play called. Lineman have to get up and untangled. Move that far, get set, adjust to what's going on on the defense and all the while the clock is running.

You stop the clock there because you are in FG range already. You just cant take the sack on 2nd down. If you are an OT there you cant get beat inside and you can't get steamrolled.

Date: October 06, 2013 02:37PM

Hell just getting that far we down field we should thrown long instead of spiking the ball just saying.

Date: October 06, 2013 02:37PM

dolphin Wrote:
> play calling is horrendous. Run out of the shotgun
> formation some to keep someone honest. goodness.
> Defense just tees off because they know 95% of the
> time we throw out of that formation.
>
> Tannehill still locks on receivers and still
> underthrows Wallace.

Did you see what our offense did in the first half with RT under center?

This team should run EVERY play from shotgun. Its our best offensive set by a country mile.

Date: October 06, 2013 02:39PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> You just cant take the sack on
> 2nd down. If you are an OT there you cant get
> beat inside and you can't get steamrolled.

You just shouldn't be passing in that situation at all.

First secure GOING INTO OVERTIME, then AFTER you are in guaranteed field goal range, play with trying to get a touchdown pass.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: October 06, 2013 02:44PM

OL has to get better, RT has to get better, WR need to stop dropping balls. Clay is turning into a nice weapon, reminds me a bit of Terry Kirby

Date: October 06, 2013 03:04PM

BTW, Finshady, what are your comments on today's Arizona-Carolina game?

Date: October 06, 2013 03:40PM

Carolina lost while I was enjoying dinner with my family. Scam played ok however it's all about him, and you see the results.

Date: October 06, 2013 04:36PM

Wow! On this you say he played okay???? The announcers said he was a big time vacuum cleaner the whole game. How many interceptions?

I thought I was tossing you a softball to hit out of the park. LOL.

Date: October 07, 2013 02:33AM

Hey the bible teaches that if you kick a man when he is down then well you know the rest. Scam is scam , and a QB change might be forthcoming.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 07, 2013 02:38AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You just cant take the sack on
> > 2nd down. If you are an OT there you cant get
> > beat inside and you can't get steamrolled.
>
> You just shouldn't be passing in that situation at
> all.
>
> First secure GOING INTO OVERTIME, then AFTER you
> are in guaranteed field goal range, play with
> trying to get a touchdown pass.

I thought you'd be happy with a 57 yard attempt? At least it wasn't the dreaded "48 yarder".....<gasp>...........make up your damn mind Chyren!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 07, 2013 04:01AM

Actually the (5th Quarter) radio announcers after the game were saying that we shouldn't have spiked the ball because we were in the huury up and had enough time to run a play to the sideline, thereby saving the time out.

The theory for the spike was the players did it because in that situation that's what you ALWAYS do, in practice and in games...but RT should have been watching the clock and should have known to run a quick play. They also said, that two plays are always called in those situations by the coaches so the blames goes to RT for the ill advised spike.

Taking the sack...we just can't have that in the two minute drill. O-Line has got to get it together some how, some way. If we don't take the sack, the FG try is like 50 instead of 57 yards.

Date: October 07, 2013 04:06AM

I like the idea of playing for the FG there to tie it.

Date: October 07, 2013 06:06AM

Ken Wrote:
> Actually the (5th Quarter) radio announcers after
> the game were saying that we shouldn't have spiked
> the ball because we were in the huury up and had
> enough time to run a play to the sideline, thereby
> saving the time out.

We didn't have a time out at that point.

>
> The theory for the spike was the players did it
> because in that situation that's what you ALWAYS
> do, in practice and in games...but RT should have
> been watching the clock and should have known to
> run a quick play. They also said, that two plays
> are always called in those situations by the
> coaches so the blames goes to RT for the ill
> advised spike.

That's a philosophical difference.

If they tell you in practice to spike it in that instance then it's not on RT.

Lets not forget that after the completion, he has the OC on his headset telling him what play to run.

If I have Peyton Manning at qb, I buy ur argument. But with a 2nd year qb and two OT who were getting abused on every play I spike it.

>
> Taking the sack...we just can't have that in the
> two minute drill. O-Line has got to get it
> together some how, some way. If we don't take the
> sack, the FG try is like 50 instead of 57 yards.

That's what it boils down to.

Date: October 07, 2013 06:54AM

how about the stupid squib kick call? why call that?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 07, 2013 06:54AM

What were there? 4 drops on the final drive? I think Gibson is the only guy who made a play. Our receivers catch 3/4 of those and we (AT MINIMUM) go to OT and RT has a legit chance to be the hero again.

Tannehill was not great by an means but the receivers were useless. Wallace may have gone over 100 but he dropped too many as well. At least Tannehill did not turn the ball over at all in this game.

Two drops by Wallace and two by Clay on the final drive alone. You will never win like that expecially when, out of the two other plays, one was a sack.

We started the drive with 3 drops on consecutive plays.

Somebody on the line (CLABO) needs to get benched or cut. Nate Garner could do no worse at RT. Martin is getting manhandled like a WR. He is not strong enough to play LT.

Time for a shake-up.

Make a trade or something. We can't even max protect because our TE's and RB's can't block.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 07, 2013 07:07AM

Date: October 07, 2013 07:32AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
>
> ........so, getting back to our discussion about
> McKinnie, if he gets cut, i'm listening.
>

We worked him out in the spring.

I know he doesn't fit what Philbin wants character-wise but what good is character if you ruin your young qb the way David Carr was ruined?

Have to bring get him in.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 07, 2013 07:59AM

Speaking of reality setting in...and to paraphrase Denny Green...."THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!"

An ascending team with glaring weaknesses. We are still a season away from competing with the elite... or winning on a consistent basis.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: October 07, 2013 09:29AM

dolphaholic Wrote:

>
> I thought you'd be happy with a 57 yard attempt?
> At least it wasn't the dreaded "48
> yarder"................make up your damn mind
> Chyren!

In BOTH cases, I condemned PASSING AT ALL IN THOSE SERIES OF DOWNS.

Last year, it was just an incomplete pass in the overtime game with the Jets and that incomplete pass turned a possible 44 yarder into a 48 yarder.

THIS YEAR, it was a pass attempt that resulted in a sack that turned a 47 yarder into a 57 yarder.

Now listen very carefully dolphaholic.............

A 48 yarder IS TO CARPENTER what a 57 yarder IS TO STURGIS WHO HAS LONGER RANGE.

Hopefully this is not too complex.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 07, 2013 09:41AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> But this was the first game since BEFORE WE
> DRAFTED HIM that I was truly disappointed with
> Tannehill's play. I thought he would "step it up"
> after last week. He seems to have played even
> worse than last week.

You are disappointed in Tanneyhill's play?

Yeah, I guess I am too in that he couldn't keep his ass off the ground because of our terrible OLine. How bad is the OLine? 22 total rushing yards, that's how bad. RT on his way to setting an NFL record in number of sacks taken. But, to be honest, I don't think RT will get that record, because he will be knocked out for the season at some point.

I'll be honest; late in the first quarter, with everything going on (no running game, no pass protection, receivers (esp Wallace) dropping balls), I was looking at RT and hoping that he wouldn't lose his confidence. Luckily, he didn't and played a good game. I find it hard to understand, Chryen, that you were disappointed in RT. The guy took a lot of punishment and still played well. Where would the Fins have been in this game if our receivers had hung on to those dropped passes?

No, I think RT is doing just fine. Is he Marino? No, but he is playing well, so much so that we fans don't have to be concerned about our future at QB (unless of course he gets blasted and is out).

Get that OLine to start playing well and watch what RT can do with a little time back there.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.