HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I hate to complain
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
I hate to complain
Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: September 15, 2013 02:19PM

but why can't Tannehill escape pressure, and run for 1st downs like Luck. I know I'm probably knit picking however how can you play receiver in college, and be afraid to pick up 1st downs with your legs on occasion. I mean is Luck a better athlete than Tannehill. I really doubt that he is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I hate to complain
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: September 15, 2013 02:26PM

He's most likely told by the coaches to stay in the pocket and look to throw...

But he does hold onto the ball a bit too long. Especially so, since our pass blocking isn't really good often times.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 15, 2013 02:28PM

My guess is he's being coached to stay patient and not panic and take off running. If he runs more often than what is absolutely necessary, he risks Vick and RG3 type injuries.

And by taking the sack instead of throwing into coverage, that cuts down the interceptions. That may also be coaching.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 15, 2013 02:33PM

I agree with the other two posts above and, like I have said, they are trying to train him to be a pocket QB although that doesn't mean you have to get sacked but when your natural instinct is to take off, and you are being told constantly to stay in the pocket, you might be so determined to do what you are told that you would even stay in the pocket when even those coaches would say "...but not when that happens."

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 15, 2013 02:39PM

All good points above.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: September 16, 2013 01:58AM

I think those are reasons why they aren't calling the read option and roll out plays, but the plays on which he has been sacked haven't afforded him the opportunity to take off. In fact, I can think of a few during the two games where he was starting to, but kind of moved into the sack.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 16, 2013 03:42AM

Yesterday he really didn't have a chance to take off as the whole pocket was collapsing around him on the sacks. When there is pressure straight up the middle 'taking off is hard' (Unless you don't wrap up like our guys lol!). The only complaint I had about yesterday is it looked like he missed a couple chances to throw the ball away. Other than that, the boy look good (yes I said it).

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: September 16, 2013 04:03AM

There were 1 or 2 plays where he could have taken off. hopefully he is still learning pocket awareness.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 16, 2013 06:33AM

Speaking of complaints...where did our defense go? We are the 18th ranked defense right now and dropped considerably in rushing defense.

I don't think the new linebackers are as good vs the run as Burnett and Dansby but Wheeler did have a key sack on a blitz.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: September 16, 2013 07:31AM

LOL. He has improved leaps and bounds but Rome wasn't built in a day. I used to Love watching him run from pressure that first season throwing on the run , completely by the seat of his pants. Pure instinct. But its obvious the coaches have instilled in him to stay in the pocket , look down field. Remember the people he used to leave wide open? The Kids working on it. No one said he was a complete back yet , just a really improved one. I for one am digging watching the journey. I never stopped and smelled the roses back in 84'-85. Part of my maturity as well I guess.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 16, 2013 07:47AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Speaking of complaints...where did our defense go?
> We are the 18th ranked defense right now and
> dropped considerably in rushing defense.
>
> I don't think the new linebackers are as good vs
> the run as Burnett and Dansby but Wheeler did have
> a key sack on a blitz.

Maybe, but this is all a tactical approach. More and more teams are emphasizing the pass over the run, so being stout against the pass is more important now. It certainly worked against indy.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: September 16, 2013 07:52AM

Important to keep in mind the kid is still rather "raw" (experience wise) as a QB. He seems to be developing better "pocket awareness" tho that is obviously one of the weaker aspects of his game. I'm not sure he's ever going to be remotely "Marino-like" in the pocket -- but I do see signs of his evolution.

That said, the staff is obviously drilling him to hang in the pocket and not take off right away. I'm sure (long term) that is the correct way to help the kid develop "feel" and learn how to make slight adjustments against the rush...

Bottom line. The kid is playing winning football and has obviously ramped his game a LOT since end of last season.

107 QB rating and 2-0 is hard to argue with...

BNF.

Date: September 16, 2013 10:59AM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: September 16, 2013 12:48PM

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: September 16, 2013 05:52PM

I did see him step up in the pocket a few times and make dead on the money throws. I do think your concern is valid though that he is getting sacked too much. Well on the bright side, he is still a kid..this would almost be like his Rookie Year since he missed a year at college QB.

Date: September 17, 2013 04:46AM

We have a punter..........a pro bowl punter.

I dont mind him giving up the sack as opposed to throwing the int.....and giving the other team good field position.

Tannehill knows he has a good defense by his side.

And has a punter who can pin the opposing team deep in their own territory.

Date: September 17, 2013 04:49AM

Beyond my complaints I have to give KC credit for NOT playing it safe at the end of the game. He was blitzing and mixing coverages. The Colts last possession ended on a 4th down blitz by Wheeler. Nice job.

No prevent defense for this guy.

.....................................................................................

Date: September 17, 2013 04:53AM

Prevent defense has come down to bite us before. I was sick of it. If you are going to go down at least go down fighting.

I understand prevent defense if we are up bu a lot of points but not when the game is close.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: September 17, 2013 08:57AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> We have a punter..........a pro bowl punter.
>
> I dont mind him giving up the sack as opposed to
> throwing the int.....and giving the other team
> good field position.
>
> Tannehill knows he has a good defense by his
> side.
>
> And has a punter who can pin the opposing team
> deep in their own territory.

I'm OK with taking coverage sacks when it's 3rd and long and you have to wait for guys to get open downfield. I'd rather punt than force a pass that gets picked.

I know that a lot of fans want to see RT run more when pressured. I wouldn't mind that, but I'd prefer he first learn to throw the ball away on 1st and 2nd downs to avoid sacks.

Date: September 17, 2013 09:01AM

He has to run before he can throw it away or it's intentional grounding. winking smiley

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: September 17, 2013 09:07AM

eesti Wrote:
> He has to run before he can throw it away or it's
> intentional grounding. winking smiley

Hahaha

Date: September 17, 2013 12:23PM

eesti Wrote:
> He has to run before he can throw it away or it's
> intentional grounding. winking smiley

Or with THESE "always looking out for the Patriots" Refs, if he throws it away on the ground, worse than it being ruled "intentional grounding" they MIGHT JUST rule it a "FUMBLE" and that opposing player who picked it up just to toss to the ref will be ruled to have "RECOVERED THE FUMBLE."winking smileywinking smileywinking smileywinking smiley

I'm still p*ssed off about them calling that a fumble in the Colts game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.