HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Thoughts on the game
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Thoughts on the game
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: September 09, 2013 04:30AM

Tannehill: I thought he looked very good. Very poised. Took some sacks, which I can live with if he's not coughing the ball up because he's looking downfield to for a big play. Considering the environment on the road, the lack of a running game and the sketchy pass blocking you have to be very pleased with his effort.

Running game: Couldn't have been worse. Absolute nauseating to watch. Not sure what the fix is, if there is one.

WR's: Hartline was terrific. Gibson was excellent also. Wallace had a tough day, but Haden is a stud CB and you have to expect Hartline to go where he's most comfortable when under pressure or in a big spot. Was VERY disappointed in Wallace's "me first" attitude after the game. Wasn't thrilled about his trash talking before it either.

TE's: Clay was fine. But we'd be so much better with Keller...damn.

Defense:

Pass rush was ferocious. 6 sacks is great but they could have had twice that number.

Run defense struggled on that first drive, but whatever adjustment they made worked great the rest of the day.

DB's: Made more tough catches for INT's in one game this year than they have in the last two seasons. If they are going to start hanging onto the ball this defense could be really good. All the other pieces are in place. We still can't pick up a fumble but one step at a time.

Good effort all around...except the O-line and RB's.

I think we get a good idea next week vs Indy as to just how much better we are or aren't. That team is very beatable. I don't think they are as good as they were last year, and I think we are better than we were when they squeaked one out on us.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on the game
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 09, 2013 04:48AM

I haven't seen Wallace's post-game comments, but his ability to stretch the field (as a LEGITIMATE deep threat) did open things up for Hartline and Gibson. So, even though he only caught one ball, his impact on the game should not be diminished.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: September 09, 2013 04:54AM

The timing between Tanny and Wallace is just not there yet on the deep ball. Most WRs are divas and I suspect that Wallace will start grumbling soon if he is mostly utilized as a decoy, especially in hot arenas, like home games. I hope the chemistry develops soon.
The defense is fun to watch.

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: September 09, 2013 05:05AM

Tennehill missed Wallace several times. Tannehill just not that good.

He did have beautiful throw to Hartline for TD

Posted by: JC ()
Date: September 09, 2013 05:11AM

dolphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tennehill missed Wallace several times. Tannehill
> just not that good.
>

that was funny.

Date: September 09, 2013 05:16AM

dolphin Wrote:
> Tennehill missed Wallace several times.

He did. Two of those were under duress, but one he had a clean lane to step up and was two yards to deep with the pass. It happens. To EVERY QB.

I saw Aaron Rodders miss on a handful of deep passes yesterday that were overthrown, underthrown, thrown too far out of bounds...etc.

> Tannehill
> just not that good.

Yeah, we know. You'll never have a life-sized Fathead of him over your bed like you do with Tom Brady.

>
> He did have beautiful throw to Hartline for TD

You do realize that most deep passes are incomplete...right?

He hit on 1 of 4. Not bad, not great...just solid.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 09, 2013 05:21AM

dolphin Wrote:
> Tennehill missed Wallace several times. Tannehill
> just not that good.
>
> He did have beautiful throw to Hartline for TD

LOL....Yes tannehill was not that good.....he was about 15 for 20 plus....for 270 plus yards 1 TD and 1 INT

Tannehill's Grandpa weeden was better with 3 picks...

Date: September 09, 2013 05:23AM

I wish moore was the qb yes and i know dolphin wishes that too.

Moore would had thrown at least 3 picks yesterday.

In the mean time the suckass pats had trouble beating the bills.

Posted by: KB ()
Date: September 09, 2013 05:29AM

We are the only AFC east team to win by more than a TD...hey, that's something!

The Defense looked great most of the day. As said, whether we are that good or the Browns offense is that bad we'll know next week.

IMO the offense looked pretty poor overall. Tannehill did ok, didn't hurt us, The pass to Hartline was a beautiful thing but we need to see more than ONE of those a game. I will give him props, he moved the ball when we needed to. A very 'Bob Griese-like' performance??? (OK that may be a stretch lol!)

Miller sucks and Thomas isn't much better! I don't care if you have the third string offensive line out there, an NFL team should be able to net more than 20 yards rushing...especially when your playing with the lead most of the game. Bush should have been kept, that's the truth and I just don't care who says otherwise!

Also need to clean up stupid penalties. Those are gonna kill us in some mid season game we NEED to win vs a team we SHOULD beat (Carolina, San Diego, etc)

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: September 09, 2013 05:58AM

Thill looked better.

D is for real.

OL = the perpetual work in progress -- tho NEVER any real Progress.

Wallace = More decoy than homer pigeon.

Serious concern = not blowing Cleve out with all those 1st half turnovers.

Hartline = easily out best WR

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: September 09, 2013 06:04AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Hartline = easily out best WR

He's the only WR we have who's played with Tanny before in the regular season. Skill-wise he's NOT our best WR, but he's definitely got the timing down with Tanny. I say he's our Mark Clayton. Hopefully Wallace will be our Duper!

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 09, 2013 06:07AM

I put the running problems on our coaching staff, it's up to them now to adjust the approach to create a respectible running game, if it's not working running it up the gut each time, then they need to bounce some outside or run some mis-directions. I have a feeling we're gonna see a better effort running the ball next week in Indy, will it be enough?

Also, let's give the Wallace issue a few weeks before getting to wound up about only one catch, but I agree about not liking his attitude afterwards, he was very valuable yesterday opening the field up for everyone else, it's up to Philbin and CO. to calm him down.

All in all it was a good win in a tough enviroment, now comes the true test in my home state (i'm pissed i'm not making the 2 hr trek South down I-65, but my wife has me locked up watching the kids all weekendsad smiley)

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: September 09, 2013 06:07AM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Tannehill: I thought he looked very good. Very
> poised. Took some sacks, which I can live with if
> he's not coughing the ball up because he's looking
> downfield to for a big play. Considering the
> environment on the road, the lack of a running
> game and the sketchy pass blocking you have to be
> very pleased with his effort.

Agreed. He played well but still needs to work on his accuracy. He looks like a Qb to me.

>
> Running game: Couldn't have been worse.
> Absolute nauseating to watch. Not sure what the
> fix is, if there is one.

Not sure if the Browns defense was jsut that good or we were just that bad. I don't see how we could regress that much from a year ago with pretty much the same players (upgrade at RT). I think we will be better next time out vs the Colts.

>
> WR's: Hartline was terrific. Gibson was
> excellent also. Wallace had a tough day, but
> Haden is a stud CB and you have to expect Hartline
> to go where he's most comfortable when under
> pressure or in a big spot. Was VERY disappointed
> in Wallace's "me first" attitude after the game.
> Wasn't thrilled about his trash talking before it
> either.

Wallace is acting like a little bitch. Tannehill did throw some uncatchable balls his way but I think he was scared of Haden.

>
> TE's: Clay was fine. But we'd be so much better
> with Keller...damn.

I was satisfied with Clays play. More than I expected...but still not Keller. If he builds of this he will be a great player. Probablem is he plays good one week then disappears for two.

>
> Defense:
>
> Pass rush was ferocious. 6 sacks is great but
> they could have had twice that number.
>
> Run defense struggled on that first drive, but
> whatever adjustment they made worked great the
> rest of the day.
>
> DB's: Made more tough catches for INT's in one
> game this year than they have in the last two
> seasons. If they are going to start hanging onto
> the ball this defense could be really good. All
> the other pieces are in place. We still can't
> pick up a fumble but one step at a time.

My only concern is one that we had fixed for a short time....covering TE's. I am not sure who gave up all the catches to Jordan but the TD was on Grimes with Jones as backup.
>
>
> Good effort all around...except the O-line and
> RB's.
>
> I think we get a good idea next week vs Indy as to
> just how much better we are or aren't. That team
> is very beatable. I don't think they are as good
> as they were last year, and I think we are better
> than we were when they squeaked one out on us.

I see nothing special about Lamar as of yet. Indy won't be as tough as Cleveland. Oakland rushed for 160 yards against them (in Indy) but most of those were from the QB. I see a bounce back from the running game this week. Their defense is built on retreads and former backup/rotation players & journeymen. I think they had only one sack on Pryor.

If Oakland gave the Colts that much trouble, they won't be able to stop our offense. The problem may be covering their TE's.

Great win on the road.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: September 09, 2013 08:09AM

They also underestimated the Browns defense and blitzing capabilities.

I had a feeling Desmond Bryant would be an up and coming D-lineman. That's why I wanted to sign him in the off season instead of tagging Starks (who will be 30 in December).

Phil Taylor is another one. Quality NT.

That team (with Ray Farmer coaching) is a couple of DB's (plus depth) away from a top 10 defense.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: September 09, 2013 02:20PM

Truth- I think the offense and RT were still a bit to inconsistent. And scoring was still a problem.. With 3 Turnovers in the first half to be behind at halftime was pretty disheartening...

They did make some good adjustments, and looked like a bit different team in the second half....

Charles Clay looked a lot better then his preseason snaps...

The lack of running game I can tell threw a wrench in Philbin game plan... Which is also why I think Wallace had limited chances.. I imagine many of the speedsters plays that RT would be looking towards Wallace, will happen as a result of the play action, without a running game, play action doesnt work... Hence Wallace didnt get that many looks...

The defense looked good, but the signing of another CB today Devlin Smith, doesnt make me feel good about Patterson and his 2 picks, playing next week...Does anybody know who we cut to sign Smith?

The defense kept us in the game. Tannehill sealed it with that good drive and TD pass to Hartline.... Without a run game, I think it was hard for us to not look sloppy, and that much harder on RT...
We need to come along way from what I saw sunday for us to be a competitive team this season...
I do like that we got the win, that was one of those sloppy games we could have lost... We didn't, which is a big deal, IMO, a win is a win.. I feel good that we got the skunk out of the boat in the first game... Hopefully, our run game looks completely different next week, or we are probably going to lose... Luck and his offense are a much stronger opponent then Weeden and his offense... We arent going to hold the Colts to (1) 3rd down conversion all game as we did the Browns...

Also we scored more then our PT avg per game last year, which was good.. As bad as our offense looked in the 1st half at scoring, we still had a number 23 that was an upgrade, so that is a good sign IMO. i think we avg 18 and half or so last year...18 points loses you alot more games, then a 23-25 point avg will...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2013 02:42PM by Crowder52.

Date: September 09, 2013 02:55PM

Crowder 52..........Our defense is much stronger this year than last.......

And i also think clevelands defense is better than the colts defense.

Date: September 09, 2013 02:55PM

Crowder52 Wrote:

>
> The defense looked good, but the signing of
> another CB today Devlin Smith, doesnt make me feel
> good about Patterson and his 2 picks, playing next
> week...Does anybody know who we cut to sign
> Smith?
>

I believe that Smith is a rookie who now is with his 3rd team.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he was signed to the practice squad. If we needed a guy on the 53 due to an injury issue from yesterday, its far more likely we'd promote Pressley from the PS since he spent all summer in our system than it is we'd expect a rookie who's been cut by two teams to come in and produce.

Date: September 09, 2013 03:05PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Crowder 52..........Our defense is much stronger
> this year than last.......
>
> And i also think clevelands defense is better than
> the colts defense.

I thought our defense looked good, but we need some stronger test then Cleveland to tell how much stronger of a defense we are then last year... Last year, we were pretty good, we just gave up to many big plays with big fields and were horrible getting turnovers...

I would agree that on paper the Browns have a stronger defense then the Colts, at least against the run for sure... Cleveland is a new team in a new system on both sides of the ball, so it is hard to judge them from last year IMO... They also had some injuries on the Dline.. From what we saw, I hope they had one of the best defenses's against the run in the NFL lol.... If the Colts are unable to make us one dimensional, we should see a more fluid performance from RT and our offense this coming week...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 09, 2013 03:33PM

RT has not proven at all accurate on deep passes. He missed a wide open wallace downfield, similar to missed passes last season.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 09, 2013 04:28PM

To be truthful about it, you are right berk. His range seems to be the mid range throw at best.

Date: September 09, 2013 04:41PM

I agree Chyren and Berk- RT mid ranges are his best throws, He has shown me very little with his accuracy on the true long ball since we drafted him.. WHich just happens to be the strongest part of the game of our highest paid player on the team..

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2013 04:42PM by Crowder52.

Posted by: Anemone1 ()
Date: September 09, 2013 04:46PM

On that overthrow to Wallace, if you watch the replay, Wallace stumbled (looks like he may have gotten a bit tangled up with the Dcool smiley. If he doesn't stumble that ball may not have been overthrown. It wasn't much, but enough to lose a step.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: September 09, 2013 05:13PM

RT's problem isn't arm strength, he can get the ball far enough, just not accurately

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: September 09, 2013 07:05PM

They are actually saying Wallace was not angry at anybody but himself, the media misread it at him being selfish. Philbin walked him out of the locker room with his arm around his shoulder. Don't judge Wallace too quickly.

Date: September 09, 2013 07:22PM

Just the Media looking for an angle. God forbid the Team wins and is happy. Get a real Job!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 09, 2013 08:41PM

Finally got to watch the whole game.

Tanny is not only light years ahead of where he was 365 days ago, he looks like he has significant command of the playbook and is on a trajectory of being able to really leverage that + his natural talent to become a very, very good QB. Some of his throws yesterday looked incredibly easy because of his anticipation and placement. He had a couple of spells when things didn't look to be in sync - when he was sacked 3x on consecutive drives and when they came out after half and were trying to feed Wallace. Other than that, I came away incredibly impressed. He took advantage of what the defense gave him. His TD throw was an absolute work of art. Maybe the most important part for me is that - on the road - he went 6/7 on the drive that put the nail in the coffin, really. I don't particularly like giving any credence to Omar, but Tanny was definitely THE key to that kill drive.

Clay did really well. I think the problem with him and why the Keller loss hurts so much is that Clay is a really good, exceptionally flexible 2nd TE/FB. If Keller were here, Clay would benefit even more from being a notch down on the option ladder and being able to exploit that even more. Like someone else said, I'd like to see him string together a season's worth of games, as consistency has been his biggest issue in his first 2 seasons.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: September 09, 2013 09:51PM

Tsstamper, yes he looked good. How much better would he have looked with better pass protection.

Yes, I know that every QB can look great with NO pressure but it seems to me that Tanny was getting LESS protection than is average.

I would rate his pass protection with a grade "D."

Once he at least gets pass protection of a grade "C" then he might look even better.

Posted by: gofins60 ()
Date: September 10, 2013 04:34AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> OL = the perpetual work in progress -- tho NEVER any real Progress.

Frustrating, isn't it? If they had decent o-line play, I'm sure that Miami could've been successful on a lot more drives.

Date: September 10, 2013 06:23AM

Olivier Vernon did not have a single tackle in the game. Nowhere to be seen on the stat sheet.That's strange for a starting DE. Did he get hurt and replaced by Shelby? DS had a sack AND FF.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: September 10, 2013 06:38AM

A few weeks ago I started a thread about Tannehill not showing the right mechanics while throwing the ball. He looked very awkward like he was hurt of something. JC closed that thread when things went awry with some posts. Anyway, I have to say that the Tannehill I saw last Sunday was not that Tannehill I wonder about in that old thread. His mechanics were very good. Whatever it was before, was gone. I'm happy for him.

Tannehill did a good job and has Hartline's number. Wallace was disappointed that he was left out of the game. I get that. I do think teams will look twice at Hartline and when they begin to cover him better, Wallace will be the target and have a big day. Teams will have to choose who to double team. This is a good situation, if I'm right.

As for the Oline--they are truly a work in progress. Pass blocking was okay(a C-) but must get better and run blocking is pathetic right now (F). That is one of the reasons we looked inept and were inept running. IMO we still need to have 100 yds running per game to have a successful season.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.