HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          It should be Ryan Tannehill and the Miami Dolphins
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
It should be Ryan Tannehill and the Miami Dolphins
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 02, 2013 10:15PM

NBC is promoting the Hall of Fame game saying that "Mike Wallace and the Miami Dolphins take on .....and the Dallas Cowboys."

WTF?????????????????????

Now that Reggie Bush is gone, it should be "Ryan Tannehill and the Miami Dolphins" instead of someone (who although I think was a good acquisition) but who has not played a regular season down as a Dolphin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It should be Ryan Tannehill and the Miami Dolphins
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: August 03, 2013 03:56AM

Wallace is a former pro-bowler. Tanny is not. Hence, the bigger name.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 03, 2013 04:45AM

Wallace is not even definite to play. Either is Romo, maybe Hartline... Maybe Dez Bryant.... This game is going to be anticlimactic before it even starts... Tannehill is probably one of the few big names that will actually takes a snap or 2..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: August 03, 2013 05:00AM

No respect until you earn it.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 03, 2013 05:32AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No respect until you earn it.

Exactly. It happens to the whole dolphins organization as a whole. When the phins show they can win and make playoffs then you will see some respect and higher ranking in the polls.

Posted by: Anemone1 ()
Date: August 03, 2013 07:03AM

Next year it will be Ryan Tannehill and the Miami Dolphins. Right now, Mike Wallace is the most recognizable name on the Phins outside of Miami. It's better than being Chad Bumphis and the Miami Dolphins.

Date: August 03, 2013 09:56AM

Wallace has not played a down as a dolphin and was really NOT THAT spectacular where he was. Let's say this was the summer before Reggie Bush played for us. Yeah, I could see your point.

So if you want to get into the publicity game, I'd say Cameron Wake and the Miami Dolphins. And really outside of Pittsburgh and fervent NFL fans, do average people really know Mike Wallace (not of CBS news fame) more than Cameron Wake.

The argument talking about our record is off point.

Date: August 03, 2013 10:47AM

Besides. If you are talking about a publicity thing, Ryan Tannehill was part of that Andrew Luck- Robert Griffin III-Brandon Weeden-Russell Wilson class that rivals the Marino-Elway class of 1983.

So from a publicity standpoint, you sell Tannehill and the Dolphins like RGIII and the Redskins or Russell Wilson leads the Seahawks.

So on that angle it is sellable.

But Mike Wallace, what???? Outside of CBS news and real football fanatics, doesn't make sense.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 03, 2013 11:18AM

The NFL promotes the NFL not Tannehill. Mike Wallace is the bigger nfl name. More people around the nation know Mike Wallace than Tanehill. That's all too it. Most people understand that but others, as usual need something to cry about.

Date: August 03, 2013 11:31AM

I hear you Chyrene. But the others are right. Wallace has kind of earned his reputation. Ryan has none. He has to put together a winning season for us. thumbs up About the most famous thing about Ryan Tannihill is his Hot wife. Goggle it and see.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: August 03, 2013 11:48AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> The NFL promotes the NFL not Tannehill. Mike
> Wallace is the bigger nfl name. More people around
> the nation know Mike Wallace than Tanehill. That's
> all too it.

If the original post in this thread is about what I think it is, then you couldn't be more correct Mizzou

Date: August 03, 2013 12:07PM

I really think that if you took a poll of ALL citizens of the US, more would know Ryan Tannehill than Mike Wallace (unless they got confused with the newscaster).

I think the Luck RGIII thing did it.

Now I can't argue that Mike Wallace has done more but that's not the point. He hasn't done more as a Dolphin.

So you have two criteria, fan recognition....and to me saying more Americans know Mike Wallace is like saying more know him than Andrew Luck or RGIII

and the second is who has done more, which I concede goes to Wallace but what he has done, he has not done as a Dolphin and since he is not WORLD FAMOUS like Reggie Bush, there is no reason to bill it as Mike Wallace and the Miami Dolphins.

And the Truth couldn't agree MORE with anyone who disagrees with me on Anything, even if I said God was more Holy than Satan, Truth would disagree as long as he knew it was me who said it. LOL.

And he has the pomposity to make to post the above in the vain and conceited belief that ANYONE on this board would be deluded for a second in thinking he was being objective.

Date: August 04, 2013 05:47AM

ChrenB makes a good point about tannehill.....I think he is right.

Date: August 04, 2013 07:24AM

This is not rocket science. NBC is trying to market the game. More specifically, they're trying to market the game to fans outside of the Phins' and Cowboys' fanbase, because they know we'll be watching the game. So they associate the teams with the most recognizable names on those teams - players that other fans might actually want to watch.

Outside of Miami, few people really know or care who Tannehill is. I know - my family lives outside of Philly, and when I talk to them and mention Tannehill, the reaction is "Who? Is he the quarterback for Miami?"

Mike Wallace was constantly in the national news prior to the start of free agency. He was considered the biggest prize in free agency, and when the Phins signed him it was the top story in sports. People who didn't really know who Mike Wallace was before sure know who he is now, if for no other reason than being a very high priced free agent.

It is not about what you did for the team before. It's about getting viewers to watch. Peyton Manning did absolutely zero, nada, nothing for the Broncos before last season, but you can bet that it was always "Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos" whenever the networks were advertising a nationally televised game.

Date: August 04, 2013 09:48AM

Date: August 04, 2013 11:10AM

CB, Philly and Pittsburg are as different as San Fran and LA. One is western PA, and the other is eastern PA, and PA is a big state with mountains in the middle. You might as well be living in a different state. I grew up outside of Philly, and never followed nor cared about any team from Pittsburg. And people from Pittsburg don't follow or care about teams from Philly. If you dispute that point, then you lose any credibility, because I grew up there, still have family there, and know what it was like. My point is that nationally most people don't really care who Tannehill is. He's not associated with the Luck/RGIII/Russell Wilson draft, because he hasn't done anything yet. There is a reason that NBC's marketing crew thought of Wallace first when they thought of the Phins.

Wallace is not an unknown. He was the star receiver for one of the highest profile NFL teams who was in the news almost every day from after the Superbowl to the start of free agency.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: August 04, 2013 12:29PM

From a marketing perspective, I think the Wallace branding has to do with what has been hot in the press all offseason.. This offseason Wallace was the highest priced FA signed to a new team, to which he has never played before.. That is a sell.... TO be honest I bet last season, in the opening game of the season, it was clearly see Tannehill and the Miami Dolphins take on whoever... Because that was a hot story at the time... Since as Anemone said Tannehill didnt accomplish what the other big 3 rookies QB did, he is not that hot of a story right now... Wallace is, so the marketing department thought that was the better story line.... And it makes sense.... If Tannehill was coming off of a play off appearance, like the others the story might be different... But the interest in the topic definitely dictates the sales pitch.... Nothing to do with respect...
I do think it is funny, that we probably will not see Wallace though and will see Tannehill, talk about bait and switch marketing..lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: August 04, 2013 01:15PM

Posted by: KB ()
Date: August 05, 2013 04:02AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> It's a quarterback driven league, dude.

Yep, and it showed last night. winking smiley

Date: August 05, 2013 11:11AM

KB Wrote:
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's a quarterback driven league, dude.
>
> Yep, and it showed last night. winking smiley

Yes it showed that the miami dolphins Offensive line equals sweese cheese.

Date: August 05, 2013 01:05PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> KB Wrote:
> -----
> > ChyrenB Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > It's a quarterback driven league, dude.
> >
> > Yep, and it showed last night. winking smiley
>
>
> Yes it showed that the miami dolphins Offensive
> line equals sweese cheese.

Broken record dude. We have spent how many 1st rd draft picks on the OLine since Marino left and it has gotten us NOWHERE. How many elite QB's have shown up on the scene, stepped in behind a Oline no one thought much of, on a team whos passing game was bottom of the barrel and made them look all world? Marino for Woodley? Andrew Luck last year in Indy? Does the OLine make the QB or does the QB make the Oline? Seems to me, in today's NFL, a robust argument could be made that it is the latter...

Date: August 05, 2013 01:28PM

Well, I wouldn't call Jake Long getting us nowhere. Neither would I call Pouncey getting us nowhere.

But if you are saying in contrast to drafting other positions, who knows.

Dion Jordan, although defensive line, doesn't look too bad either.

Date: August 06, 2013 04:57AM

Date: August 06, 2013 04:59AM

KB Wrote:

samsam3738wrote
> >
> > Yes it showed that the miami dolphins Offensive
> > line equals sweese cheese.
>
KB wrote:> Broken record dude.

And im sure its going to be talked about way more when the season starts and we go on a 0-6 run.

Date: August 06, 2013 12:42PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Well, I wouldn't call Jake Long getting us
> nowhere. Neither would I call Pouncey getting us
> nowhere.

In the 8 years before Tannehill we spent 3 of our 1st round picks on Oline, including a #1 over all. During that time our combined record was 58-86 (.400), Our offense was never in the top half of the league nor was our passing except for the one year we had a serviceable NFL QB who managed to stay healthy (Pennington). Two of those three guys are now gone including Long who we wasted the first #1 overall we had in over 40 years on. So yea, it got us nowhere...

Date: August 06, 2013 05:52PM

Well KB, there is probably no right or wrong theory to drafting. The only thing that can be said is that when you draft a bust real high that is a failure.

But that's one pick in one draft. But when you concede that Long, and probably Puuncey are or will be all pros and you still condemn the draft then what you must necessarily say is that "Okay, I don't care if we got all-pros at this particular part of the team, we have neglected the other parts of the team."

Let's get down to it. Many people say that we should have been drafting quarterbacks during the period we drafted the Jake Longs and the Pounceys. But had we done so, what would have been the protection for those quarterbacks, and if you say it is not sufficient as it is, how much more insufficient would it have been.

One could criticize Shula in that although he had Marino and the Magic Markers, he had no running game and a poor defense so that the opposition was able to match and succeed Marino's passing scoring.

So I mean although no one has criticized Ireland more than me, you've got to give the devil his due on the few good picks he did make.

It's not fair to say "Oh yeah, but look at the rest of the team."

That's only fair if he is allowed to make all 32 picks in the first round each year.

In other words, you've got to make some picks and I for one believe that you should stay in the first round and pick up blue chippers whenever you can unless you can say you are overstocked at the position where the blue chippers are available.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 06, 2013 05:53PM

Jake Long was a HORRIBLE pick.

I mean come on. We could have landed Matt Ryan.

Long is already a has-been and clearly a pharmaceutical product.

Date: August 06, 2013 06:00PM

LOL. We've had this discussion, you and I, before BNF. Not speaking to the Jake Long of 2012 but he had to be voted all pro all those years for some reason. Just My Opinion.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: August 06, 2013 06:12PM

Like I said. We could have landed Matg Ryan.

Date: August 06, 2013 11:00PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> Like I said. We could have landed Matg Ryan.

Yeah and we could have landed Tom Brady in 2000 with our 5th pick. (He was taken in the 6th round). Whats your point? This was the Tuna's first draft with us and he wanted a sure thing. The Mat Ryan/Long thing debate is pointless.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.