HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Mini Camp Notes
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Mini Camp Notes
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: June 11, 2013 09:01AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mini Camp Notes
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: June 11, 2013 09:43AM

For those interested....Oregon key dates...

Spring term final examinations: June 10–14

Commencement Day: June 17

Dion Jordan can practice after the 17th if I am not mistaken.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: June 12, 2013 02:24PM

Mini camp, you are always excited to hear really about your draft picks, with Jordan still in school and Jamar Taylor sidelined from his sports hernia, it is a bit anticlimatic for me.. We get interviews from Dallas Thomas and DIon sims at this points...nothing wrong with them but not quite as exciting as hearing about and from your first 2 picks...

I hear great things about Brent Grimes so far and he isnt really in true football shape yet because of his surgery.. But people are talking about him as a baller in practice..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: June 13, 2013 03:41AM

I would think the lock TE's to make the team are Dion Sims and Dustin Keller. Beyond those two, there will be a fight for the 3rd spot between Egnew, Kyle Miller and Charles Clay. It could go in any direction. Miller is looking good as is Egnew. Clay had 3 drops in the last practice. Way too early but this should be an interesting battle.

If we sign Leach at FB then Clay has even less appeal as a hybrid. It will be tough for him to make the team this year.

I am still curious to see how and where these players fit....

Dion Jordan: Can he win the RDE outright or just be a role player in 2013?

Jamar Taylor: best case scenario...he wins starting outside spot opposite Grimes and pushes Marshall to the nickle. That's a pretty good unit.

Dallas Thomas: Is being used at backup LT and LG....Can he win a starting spot?

Lance Louis: Can he take Jerry's spot when he gets healthy?

Jelanie Jenkins: Can he take any spot among the LB's?

How good is Will Davis? Is he worth the #3 draft spot. He needs to beat out Nolan Carroll.

.....................................................................................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2013 03:57AM by eesti.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: June 13, 2013 04:01AM

I could care less about mini camps and OTA's. They mean absolutely nothing to me...

except one thing:

Stay injury free. outside of that, I could care less.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: June 13, 2013 04:10AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could care less about mini camps and OTA's. They
> mean absolutely nothing to me...
>
> except one thing:
>
> Stay injury free. outside of that, I could care
> less.

OTA's and mini camp plus the pre season determine who will make the team. My interest is huge for that reason alone. That one guy that makes the cut could end up being the guy that breaks open on a go route in overtime that beats the Patriots in Foxboro.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: June 13, 2013 04:43AM

eesti Wrote:
> I would think the lock TE's to make the team are
> Dion Sims and Dustin Keller. Beyond those two,
> there will be a fight for the 3rd spot between
> Egnew, Kyle Miller and Charles Clay. It could go
> in any direction. Miller is looking good as is
> Egnew. Clay had 3 drops in the last practice. Way
> too early but this should be an interesting
> battle.

Yeah eesti, this is the most interesting position "battle" for me this summer. I like Clay, I think he is a matchup problem for most teams. Having him in the field as a FB who can line up at TE, or slot receiver is an advantage for us that would keep the defense guessing.

But he wasn't drafted in the Philbin era so who knows.

>
> If we sign Leach at FB then Clay has even less
> appeal as a hybrid. It will be tough for him to
> make the team this year.
>
> I am still curious to see how and where these
> players fit....

If we don't sign Leach its an easier fix with Clay handling the FB duties this year. If we do sign him, there's a numbers problem. Maybe we keep 4 TE and only 3 RB's

>
> Dion Jordan: Can he win the RDE outright or just
> be a role player in 2013?

Anything is possible but my expectations at this point are that we use him the way we used Wake as a Rookie, as our designated pass rusher.

>
> Jamar Taylor: best case scenario...he wins
> starting outside spot opposite Grimes and pushes
> Marshall to the nickle. That's a pretty good
> unit.

Yeah. I'm really not all that concerned about him starting. He'll get plenty of PT as a Rookie regardless and he'll be starting next year.

The guy in the secondary that should be worried is Patterson. He's carrying a $5m price tag but no guaranteed money. We could cut him, free up another $5m to roll over to next year.

>
> Dallas Thomas: Is being used at backup LT and
> LG....Can he win a starting spot?
>
> Lance Louis: Can he take Jerry's spot when he gets
> healthy?

The O-line is the next most interesting battle for me. Lots of options and combinations.

>
> Jelanie Jenkins: Can he take any spot among the
> LB's?

As a starter? I doubt it. Not this year.

I expect him to be a core special teamer and a backup OLB.

>
> How good is Will Davis? Is he worth the #3 draft
> spot. He needs to beat out Nolan Carroll.

He's the question mark and the key to our draft. If he's good, we had a very very good draft. Can't hurt having Grimes on the roster for him and Taylor to learn from.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 06:51AM

Good to hear my man Binn making some noise.

Ughh Clay w/ 3 drops. I'm going to to call that a bad day. I always liked him.

Still not on board w/ Egnew. He is fighting though.

Every year people count Jerry out every year he takes a starting position. I like that about him.

I like this rookie class, they are coming in to compete.

Guys I'm watching:
Binns
Tyms
Sims
McDonald OT from Indiana spent last year on reserve squad
Davis cb rookie
Wilson S his 3rd year time to make a move

Date: June 13, 2013 08:42AM

Every year Jerry takes a starting position but then plays mediocre. I think we need an upgrade which is why I am rooting for Louis.

LT Martin/Thomas
LG Incog
C Pouncey
RG Louis
RT Clabo

What happens if Thomas beats Incog out of a job at LG? Would be interesting (and a long shot) but we would save major cap space. With the release of Incog and Patterson we would add 8.9 mil to our already hefty 17 mil for 25.9 mil in cap space. Ridiculous after what we already spent! I'd say keep him anyway.

Battle between Binns and Mathews for the 4th spot (and more snaps) should be a good one.

My player to watch is UFA Emeka Onyenekwu, DE. Finished Senior year with 44 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 15 tfls and 2 fumble recoveries. Player of the Week Honors vs #7 ranked Florida Gators, finished game with a 9 tackles, and 2.5 qb sacks

Date: June 13, 2013 02:13PM

eesit- Jerry is a wildcard, he showed tremendous improvement last year. And according to the phinsiders, played more offensive snaps then any player on our team last year... The guy has ability, and seems to be doing well under the new offensive line coach... WHo knows maybe we will see a Paul Solia type of turn around out of the guy... At one point he was on the chopping block, a year later he is being franchised...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: June 13, 2013 02:26PM

According to the coaches the plan was to throw a lot at the players in these OTA's, they installed 95 % of their plays and system in the short camp...I guess hoping the players have the right stuff to study and prepare themselves over this 6 week break... I dont think it is a good thing that Dion Jordan missed it... It sounds like he will be at an obvious disadvantage when training camp starts...

Side note, Rishard Mathews stepped his game back up after an off day yesterday and supposedly closed camp very strong today...

Nietzsche

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: June 14, 2013 12:30PM

Odenn, do you know how many All Stars I've seen on the Dolphins roster during mini camp to the turn around and never get on the field during the regular season?

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: June 15, 2013 02:29PM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: June 16, 2013 02:36PM

Does Griese seem to be taking more interest in this team all of a sudden, or has he always attended mini camps and such?

Date: June 16, 2013 03:28PM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Does Griese seem to be taking more interest in
> this team all of a sudden, or has he always
> attended mini camps and such?

He has been around for a while, he has done all the TV color commentary during preseason for a while now(8-10 years). WHen Mandich passed away a couple years ago, Griese took over his spot calling the games on local radio.. So I guess he has been a bit more involved since he became one of the voices of the Dolphins......
But I think all of the stuff he does is mainly local radio and local preseason broadcasts, so I could see why a lot of you guys wouldnt notice his involvement... To me it seems he has been around the team a lot for a long while...

Nietzsche

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.