HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Egnew impressing????
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Egnew impressing????
Date: June 04, 2013 07:01AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Egnew impressing????
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: June 04, 2013 07:08AM

Supposedly, Michael Egnew was Coach Joe Philbin's personal project this offseason.

We will see.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: June 04, 2013 09:46AM

Glad he had a good 3rd OTA all I read about from the 1st 2 were Keller and Clay.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: June 04, 2013 11:32AM

Egnew is a decent WR, he was just lost last year.. I remember him making a pretty incredible one handed catch last preseason.. Between being lost and a blocking liability, he wasn't gonna see the field or even game day roster until we were completely out of contention for the play offs...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: June 06, 2013 05:39AM

Just watched all the youtube I could find on Egnew and really cannot see why Philbin liked this guy. He never saw a block he wanted to make, sometimes I swear he looked scared, most of the time he was in the slot. He just should have let the gm draft another damn receiver.

Date: June 06, 2013 05:42AM

They see something in him. I'll give him another season before I judge.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: June 06, 2013 09:17AM

Often when the staff hypes up the progress of someone like this, it's to boost his stock for a trade. Hopefully that is not the case here, and that Egnew makes the team from good old hard work.

Date: June 06, 2013 10:23AM

You make a decent point there. And Irelend does seem to be full of a bag of tricks lately........

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: June 06, 2013 12:11PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just watched all the youtube I could find on Egnew
> and really cannot see why Philbin liked this guy.
> He never saw a block he wanted to make, sometimes
> I swear he looked scared, most of the time he was
> in the slot. He just should have let the gm draft
> another damn receiver.

I dont know mizzou, Egnew had a pretty good 2010 when Gabbert was his QB. As a TE the kid caught 90 balls and 5 TD's... That is a lot of receiving for a TE. It has to be close to a record, surely for 2010 he had to have been the TE reception leader... His stats fell off a bit when Gabbert left...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 03:45PM by Crowder52.

Date: June 07, 2013 03:11AM

I have no problem w/ him as a receiver he is a damn good one but there are better natural wr's. As a TE this guy is worthless as a blocker (from college films). Just should have drafted a receiver. I have no problem w/ Egnew I respect his effort this year after some teammates refered to him as a p***y. I don't like coaches being so critical of a guy when you could see on tape what his game consist of.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: June 07, 2013 04:48AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> I have no problem w/ him as a receiver he is a
> damn good one but there are better natural wr's.
> As a TE this guy is worthless as a blocker (from
> college films). Just should have drafted a
> receiver. I have no problem w/ Egnew I respect his
> effort this year after some teammates refered to
> him as a p***y. I don't like coaches being so
> critical of a guy when you could see on tape what
> his game consist of.

That's why they drafted him Mizzou...to catch the ball. They knew from the films he wasn't a good blocker and from the program he came from that he was rarely ever asked to block.

The projection on him was that they could coach him up on the blocking but that his receiving skill set was a good fit for our new offense.

I guess we'll see how that pans out over the next year or two.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: June 07, 2013 08:22AM

Yeah, he can learn to block...but, if you can't catch or run then you are useless.

He dosen't need to be a dominant blocker in this offense...he just needs to be good enough.

Date: June 07, 2013 09:21AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> I have no problem w/ Egnew I respect his
> effort this year after some teammates refered to
> him as a p***y. I don't like coaches being so
> critical of a guy when you could see on tape what
> his game consist of.

That's it in a nutshell. People were hard on him and he has kept at it. That's no P***y in my book. P***ies give up. He keeps at it he will have earned a fan in me no matter if he makes the team or not.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: June 07, 2013 11:38AM

"That's why they drafted him Mizzou...to catch the ball. "

Hell that's what receivers are for. I still don't get the pick. A TE has to block sometime. Its critical for the position. Still think its a wasted pick. We have Clay who seems like a good receiving TE who I think has a knack for getting open. What do I know?

Date: June 07, 2013 11:49AM

Ireland and or Philbin said after drafting Egnew, that he wasnt asked to block in college but they saw him block in the Senior Bowl and saw that he had the skills to block... Egnew was overwhelmed by the NFL playbook, system and speed of the game.. He said it in an interview the other day, that the game and speed was to much for him initially.. He spent the whole offseason training MMA to get better at blocking, scrapping with players off the line and increase his speed and agility, (paraphrased).
Even Tannehill said he was lost in camp last season and he knew the system and coaches installing it..

Nietzsche

Date: June 07, 2013 01:42PM

Clay had problems picking up the new playbook to. Hopefully we will get more production from the two.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: June 07, 2013 03:17PM

I never really got the whole lack of understanding the playbook thing. If you are paid to play football, in my opinion you should take the playbook and basically eat, sleep, and cram with it 24/7. Even the players with less than stellar iqs would soak it up at that rate.

Date: June 07, 2013 06:14PM

I guess its not just Knowing the playbook like taking a Test on Paper......its knowing it so well you just kind of react to it instead of thinking about it. That spilt second can make a huge difference. That was Zack Thomas's edge. He knew what offenses were doing before they did.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.