HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          One bad move
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: One bad move
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 26, 2013 05:38AM

Finshady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many good points pro and con however one must put
> this into perspective. After Wallace, Hartline,
> and Gibson who do we have that is a proven
> receiver? Anyone? That is why you don't trade
> Bess. That is the reason why that was a bad move.
> Rishard Matthews is unproven, but he does have
> potential. I say you should of kept both of them
> just too be on the safe side of the injury front.

Since when does your #4 WR need to be a "proven" WR? Most around the league are developmental players and not taking a 3.4 mil cap hit.

The Dolphins thought so much of him they were willing to pay him 750k to play against them.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: May 26, 2013 01:35PM

For me (as a temporal football fan) its not about the $$$ and its not about the fit -- its about the fact Bess was such a bright spot on black hole roster -- and as soon as it looks like we're turning things around -- the "reward" the kid gets for working his ass off and doing everything right is:

bye bye.

So I guess its just a mercenary league.

But, our old school Yankee ass HC is doing the same crap Billygoat has done -- no loyalty, no long-term commitment (as evidenced by Billgoat's cheating at everything including his wife). Just be cold. Hard. Greedy. Calculating. Like every other corporate drone. The aftermath of "people" really doesn’t matter because it doesn’t show-up in annual Corporate Report.

I know I know. Bess is still a millionaire. But it's the symbolism I'm talking about, which I doubt most of you football heads are even remotely aware of. But of course, feel free to prove me wrong.

BNF. And that's that.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 26, 2013 02:08PM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
> For me (as a temporal football fan) its not about
> the $$$ and its not about the fit -- its about the
> fact Bess was such a bright spot on black hole
> roster -- and as soon as it looks like we're
> turning things around -- the "reward" the kid gets
> for working his ass off and doing everything right
> is:
>
> bye bye.
>
> So I guess its just a mercenary league.
>
> But, our old school Yankee ass HC is doing the
> same crap Billygoat has done -- no loyalty, no
> long-term commitment (as evidenced by Billgoat's
> cheating at everything including his wife). Just
> be cold. Hard. Greedy. Calculating. Like every
> other corporate drone. The aftermath of "people"
> really doesn’t matter because it doesn’t
> show-up in annual Corporate Report.

Why would you expect any coach to show loyalty to guys who were here before him? They aren't his guys. he didn't bring them here and they didn't help him win anything (yet).

And what is more important, Philbin showing "loyalty" to a guy who doesn't fit what he wants to do... or him assembling a roster that he believes in?

BNF, everybody liked Bess. He was a good soldier and a great rags to riches success story. But this is a business. And if you are going to invest time and money in a new HC you have to let him do it his way or you should never have hired him.

And comparing Philbin trying to shape the roster to fit his plan on offense to Belechick cheating on his wife is a bit much.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 27, 2013 03:53AM

eesti Wrote:

> Since when does your #4 WR need to be a "proven"
> WR? Most around the league are developmental
> players and not taking a 3.4 mil cap hit.
>
> The Dolphins thought so much of him they were
> willing to pay him 750k to play against them.

Assuming Bess would have been our number 4 WR is the mistake in your analysis... Bess has been our number 2 his entire Miami career, out performing or equal to Hartline all but last year really. Had he stayed healthy he would have had a shot to outperform him last year as well.. Brendan Gibson has never outperformed Bess... So while it is easier to justify your opinion with silly statements about Bess being our number 4 WR now that he is gone, the problem is, it isn't remotely accurate.. Try again...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: May 27, 2013 08:16AM

I guess the F.O viewed him as an expendable backup TOO. Not a #2 receiver or a #3. Your little man crush on average players is a little weird. He's gone man...time to deal with it.

And speaking of silly....Bess has not been our #2 his entire career. He was an overachieving WR that excelled on a team void of WR talent. He may have been targeted more but only because he played a position that rarely had to go deep. He was the check down receiver on teams with bad QB's who couldn't get the ball down field.

There are receivers who have the potential to be #1 or #2 WR's but take a few years to turn the corner and develop into quality players.

The FO views Hartline as that type of player.

Then, there are receivers who are just plodders who hit the ground running. They have limited potential but are good as backups or roles players.

Bess is that type of player. He is pretty much maxed out. He may have outperformed Hartline in a few seasons but he just doesn't have the tools and potential to turn any corners.

2008: He was the slot receiver and 3rd ranked producer to Camarillo and Ted Ginn Jr.

2009: Led the team with 758 yards and 2 td's. Just because he led the team, doesn't mean he was a #1 WR. He was the check down guy who was targeted by a bad QB (Henne). When your top WR produces 758 yards and 2 td's...it is more of an indictment of the other WR and QB play than it is and endorsement of quality WR play.

2010: Probably his best year. He was the number 3 and slot receiver. He produced the 2nd most yards but again was a check down option for a QB who had issue getting the ball deep. Bess was targeted way more than Hartline. While Hartline was running deep and intermediate routes, Bess was running short slants and dig routes.

2011: 51/537/3. (83 targets) Ranked 3rd in yardage. Marshall was the true #1 while Hartline was #2. Hartline had 66 targets.

2012: 61/778/1. (104 targets) A good year for Bess who was the #2 WR because our #1 was traded. He may have approached over 900 yards if he didn't miss a few games.

Bess is now listed as the NUMBER 3 WR in Cleveland. He will again see more targets on a team VOID of WR talent. He is competing with David Nelson for the #3 WR spot.

Fortunately for us this regime doesn't run the team with their hearts.

And the "Yankees" won the war....about 150 years ago! Might be time to move on from Bess and the division of the North/South mentality.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2013 08:26AM by eesti.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.