HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Utilizing Jordan
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Utilizing Jordan
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 30, 2013 06:16AM

June 1st will be 3 months since Dion had surgery on his shoulder. That is the average recovery time. Training camp does not start until the end of July. We will have mini camps but no pads until the end of July if I remember correctly. Barring any medical setbacks Jordan should have no problems because of the injury. The problem in being at camp will be due to Oregon's final exams whichdon't end until June 14th so he will miss at least 3 OTA sessions.

6'-6 1/4" 247 lbs. That's almost the exact weight JT played at for years. Most speculated that Jordan will need to get up to 267 lbs to play full time DE. Maybe, maybe not.

Obviously Jordan will not be able to (seriously) lift and gain weight until mid June so putting on (and keeping on) weight is probably not goin gto happen this year. He is at 3% body fat.

We do have multiple options for Jordan this year. He can be used as a 4-3 OLB in the base defense and move to DE on passing downs. He could play either the strong or weak side.

In Denver, Dumerville was used as the weak side DE while Von Miller played SLB on the opposite side.

If we use him in this area, Wake will be the SDE with Odrick, Misi or Vernon as the WDE. Coyle will need to figure out just where to use those three. There is a lot of versatility for the front 7.

WLB Jordan, MLB Ellerbe, SLB Wheeler. All players can rush rush the passer. There is just no way to know where the pressure is coming from. Jordan can also drop in coverage on TE's, WR's, RB's etc.

We can also put Jordan at SLB and bring double the pressure from the same side. Wake and Jordan on one side. Misi/Vernon on the other. What happens if Vernon takes the next step this year? This defense has the potential to be great ala the NY Giants of a few years ago.

I think we have some versatility on where to put Jordan. If he can play DE at 247 (as JT did) then great. If not, he is a situational pass rusher and plays OLB for a year until he has the time to put on some weight. I can see him flying all around the field making plays and not just on passing downs.

Nickle defense...

WDE Misi
DT Vernon
DT Odrick
SDE Wake
WLB Jordan
SLB Wheeler
CB Grimes
CB Taylor
CB Marshall
FS Clemons
SS Jones

Some way too oversimplified math for ya...drinking smiley

We had 42 sacks in 2012. Top 5 in the league. Ellerbe had 4.5 last year in 7 starts. I think he is good for 6 sacks on a full season. He replaces Dansby who had 1 sack. That's + 5. Wheeler had 3 and replaces the 2.5 from Burnette. We are up 6.5 right there. Add Jordan (8) and we go from 42 to 56.5 sacks. Pretty simple right? (maybe not). That's first in the league....and a lot of pain for Brady/Manuel/Kolb/Smith/Sanchez

Why did Jordan only have 5 sacks last year you ask?

He played only 418 total snaps: Run Snaps: 184, PassRush: 167, Coverage (estimated): 67.

That's about the same sack rate per snap as Cameron Wake who had 15 sacks out of 530 pass rush snaps.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Utilizing Jordan
Date: April 30, 2013 07:21AM

Its got great promise and is worth the risk that Ireland made. I read in a draft Mag that Dion actually had a serious accident in college. He was siphoning gasoline with an electric pump and the pump sparked causing him to go a flame. Doctors said he wouldn't play football again. He said the experience makes him realize everyday how lucky he is. I really like the Kid. His mom was a crack addict and she said she swore to god if he healed her son she would quit. She has been sober 7 yrs now. The kid has been through some shit. Most come to the NFL with no experiences except be given everything they have. Not Dion. He seriously does not take anything for granted. I believe he can be great. We shall see.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 07:49AM

the "electric pump" was a vacuum cleaner! not the sharpest tool in the shed, apparently.

Date: April 30, 2013 09:26AM

Who among us hasn't done something incredibly stupid when they were 17 year old? 18? 19? 20? hands...hands....anyone? That's what I thought.

Besides, it was his friends that were siphoning the gas and Jordan made the unfortunate mistake of turning the vacuum off.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 30, 2013 11:09AM

I like the idea of Jordan playing the SLB or WLB position until he puts on size, unless he proves he can handle the run and big strong tackles pushing him around on the line right out of the gate... I thinks it is special that he can cover a TE probably better then our other LBs...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 30, 2013 12:42PM

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: May 01, 2013 09:33AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the idea of Jordan playing the SLB or WLB
> position until he puts on size, unless he proves
> he can handle the run and big strong tackles
> pushing him around on the line right out of the
> gate... I thinks it is special that he can cover a
> TE probably better then our other LBs...

I think it's going to be the same type of deal Wake went thru went he first got to the Fins; passing situations where his job is to get to the QB.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: May 01, 2013 09:49AM

captkoi Wrote:

> **************************************************
> *
>
> I think it's going to be the same type of deal
> Wake went thru went he first got to the Fins;
> passing situations where his job is to get to the
> QB.

Yeah you are probably right, it is probably just wishful thinking, hoping to get him on the field more then just on third down and long situations..

It also could depend on how well Ellerbe and Wheeler do covering... We have no idea how the swap of Burnett and Dansby, for Wheeler and Ellerbe works out... If our covering LB is getting schooled, while our number 3 overall draft pick is sitting on the bench, who is to say they woulnt take a shot... Jordan is a freak athlete... I honestly believe he can probably cover better then our LB's... He is faster then them that is for sure...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: May 01, 2013 03:20PM

Most analysts have him playing strong side LB until he puts on weight.

Date: May 01, 2013 05:07PM

From what I have learned, Ellerbe is not good in coverage but Wheeler is...I think Jordan is probably better than both.

I'm curious as to what we do with Misi.

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: May 01, 2013 06:07PM

Move Misi to DE

Date: May 02, 2013 12:36AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> the "electric pump" was a vacuum cleaner! not the
> sharpest tool in the shed, apparently.

Wow Berk. If that point had feet you would have footmarks all over your head , because that went right over it. eye rolling smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: May 02, 2013 03:15AM

cedaphins Wrote:
> Move Misi to DE

Misi played DE at times last year but with Odrick and Vernon also playing, I was questioning how many snaps Misi would get.

It all depends on a couple of things.

Misi did great as a 4-3 OLB last year. He was running all over the place making plays at one point. There was also talk that he could play MLB with Ellerbe and Wheeler on the outside. Obviously if the "Jordan to SLB" scenario plays out then this is probably not an option.

If Jordan is used only at DE then Misi is the starting WLB or MLB. That leaves Vernon and Odrick with fewer snaps at DE.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: May 02, 2013 03:38AM

cedaphins Wrote:
> Move Misi to DE

That, or trade him.

Date: May 02, 2013 05:05AM

I'm not in favor of post draft trades unless it is for a player in return. Something to help us this year. We still need depth and even if Misi does not play LB again we still need depth. They still like to rotate players on the line. He is versatile and can backup the line or LB'ers.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: May 02, 2013 06:10AM

didn't misi sort of come into his own last year? no need to trade him, he's making very little $$ anyway
anyone else a little worried about how much our roster has turned over? bringing in a ton of new players doesn't work out in the short term too often since players need to gell and learn how to play together. we need at least ONE holderover LB.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.