HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          infuriating 3d rounds picks
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
infuriating 3d rounds picks
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 26, 2013 06:28PM

it's like deja vu entering the 3d round every year. Each year there seems to be good players at positions of need who seemingly fall to us, only to have a team grab him the pick before us (keenan allen) or we pass on them only to take someone usually rated a 5th rounder by all accounts. I really scratch my head at what we did in the 3d round. The G from Tenn? A reach and he's not really a tackle which we need more than a guard. Then we trade out of the 3d with our 2d pick, which I supposed meant Ireland didn't really like anyone there. But we trade back in to grab another CB, who was ranked WAY down the list of available players. Why trade back in to reach for this guy? I am getting Jon Jerry, Pat Turner, and Mike Egnew flashbacks. I scratched my head in exactly the same way at the time.
With the trade of Bess we absoultely need to take a WR in the 4th, hopefully we did not screw ourselves out of Swopes or someone of that caliber. I really would've liked it if Kenan A fell to us but we missed by 1 pick. The 3d round really left a sour taste in my mouth after our 1st 2 picks which I was pretty pleased with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: infuriating 3d rounds picks
Date: April 26, 2013 06:39PM

I liked the Positions. We went heavy on defense which I really stated we needed to do. The Picks made however , I guess only time will tell. I think Taylor is a starter , but Davis is a Question mark. Again I love the Positions, CB was our greatest position of need. Now we have our starters and some depth. Dallas Thomas? Again , I love the position , can't speak of the talent. We obviously drafted for Need , not best players available.

All in all this draft so far spells out, HUGE risk Huge reward. Irlend definitely did not take any safe picks. He wheeled and dealed to 3 strong picks on day 2. Tomorrow we need to go offense. grab A receiver and a running back, maybe some special teams/depth.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 26, 2013 07:05PM

yeah Davis was a reach for a second small CB. Odd Poyer has dropped

Would like to get another 4th and go

Jonathan Franklin, , Randle, Gillislee Barner
Quinton Patton, Da Rick Rogers, Kenny Stills
Dion Sims, Mychael Rivera

Bacarri Rambo, Phillip Thomas
Jordan Campbell, Gerald Hodges, Keith Pough

Hopkins, Sturges, Locke

Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: April 26, 2013 07:21PM

Once you understand that all those "ratings"(created by out of work and wanna be GMs)don't mean $#!T, you'll begin to understand how good GMs do their job(see profession).

Players' real values are generated by each teams GM based on their own individual systems, culture, and needs. So those values range all over the place.The Kipers, Casserlys, and Mayocks of the world base their ratings/rankings on completely different criteria and intel.

Our team is in desperate need of DB help, especially w the loss of Smith. So if Davis was at the top of THEIR board, and felt some other teams in front of them felt the same, I have no problem w them moving up to get the guy THEY wanted, to help improve the DB unit.

This draft has been anything but predictable. There's no way to guarantee that a guy that has "a 5th round grade", will absolutely be there in the 5th. Werent Geno and Mante lock 1st rounders? Guess not.

Date: April 26, 2013 07:22PM

Whae 2 -4ths. 2- 5ths and a 7th.

I agree Our first Two picks if available need to be Franklin and Patton. That would be KILLER.

Special tea and depth positions after that. Who is the best Kicker on the board? I was not impressed with Carpenter last season.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: April 26, 2013 07:24PM

AND I just read that Dallas Thomas has a torn labrum from the SR bowl? that is a horrible injury for an OL--Justin Smiley always had that issue.
not a fan of this pick

Date: April 26, 2013 07:26PM

socalphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once you understand that all those
> "ratings"(created by out of work and wanna be
> GMs)don't mean $#!T, you'll begin to understand
> how good GMs do their job(see profession).
>
> Players' real values are generated by each teams
> GM based on their own individual systems, culture,
> and needs. So those values range all over the
> place.The Kipers, Casserlys, and Mayocks of the
> world base their ratings/rankings on completely
> different criteria and intel.
>

say what you want, but I've watched each of Ireland's draft and whenever he is taken someone in the 3d or 4th that the "experts" rated in the 5th or lower, and passed over someone higher rated, it has not ever worked out. Not one time. Turner, Egnew, Jerry, on and on.

Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: April 26, 2013 09:54PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> AND I just read that Dallas Thomas has a torn
> labrum from the SR bowl? that is a horrible injury
> for an OL--Justin Smiley always had that issue.
> not a fan of this pick

Yeah and just think, we take an injured Tennesee OT/OG over Barret Jones from Alabama. The guy who just might be the next John Hannah.

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: April 27, 2013 03:07AM

Kenan was bypassed by alot of teams...even the beloved Patsies went for a 5th round prospect over him.

Doesn't seem a good fit for someone who needs to play all the positions.

Swopes is a much better fit. Hope we get him.

I would be really hesitant to bash the SEC tackle/guard without seeing him play. After all, Brandon Albert was just a guard.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: April 27, 2013 03:40AM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 27, 2013 04:05AM

socalphin Wrote:
> Once you understand that all those
> "ratings"(created by out of work and wanna be
> GMs)don't mean $#!T, you'll begin to understand
> how good GMs do their job(see profession).
>
> Players' real values are generated by each teams
> GM based on their own individual systems, culture,
> and needs. So those values range all over the
> place.The Kipers, Casserlys, and Mayocks of the
> world base their ratings/rankings on completely
> different criteria and intel.
>
> Our team is in desperate need of DB help,
> especially w the loss of Smith. So if Davis was at
> the top of THEIR board, and felt some other teams
> in front of them felt the same, I have no problem
> w them moving up to get the guy THEY wanted, to
> help improve the DB unit.
>
> This draft has been anything but predictable.
> There's no way to guarantee that a guy that has "a
> 5th round grade", will absolutely be there in the
> 5th. Werent Geno and Mante lock 1st rounders?
> Guess not.

Well said Socalsmileys with beer

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 27, 2013 05:04AM

PFW rated Davis as the 61st best player in the draft. Mike Mayock doesn't know everything. Remember, he had us projected to take 340-lb DJ Fluker at #12, even though he would not fit in Philbin's scheme at all.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 27, 2013 05:44AM

Good point. Mayock is starting to get on my nerves. He's kind of a douche.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 05:46AM

Dallas Thomas looks good, I think he just needs to work on gaining some muscle and he will be solid.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 27, 2013 05:49AM

I kind of agree with what you're saying Berk -- and had a weird vibe about this draft which seems a lot different than I imagined it to be.

It all starts with passing LT by and taking an injured DE and now you're saying the OL taken is also with a blown shoulder??? I'm getting the feeling of way too many wild rolls of the dice and we could come up on the losers end pretty freaking easy... Tho I hope not.

And didn't we get our ass handed to us in the trade to get back in the 3rd after we traded out? I mean we lost picks on that move and would up picking like 15 spots LOWER! Am I wrong? Am I missing something???

That "move" really has me concerned as to the knee-jerk reactions that seem to be running the show. I mean we can only HOPE this isn't Village Idiots part3.

I have to say -- at this point last years draft seemed more well thought-out and disciplined than what we're doing now. And for gods sakes we had 8 thousand picks going in and I'm just not feeling satisfied...

Like we said before the draft -- if we screw he pooch on this one we're sunk indefinitely. And after being under water for so long its hard to believe the drowning is over...

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: April 27, 2013 06:00AM

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: April 27, 2013 06:20AM

Thomas is a good OLineman I like the pick. This guy shut down Clownet playing LT his junior year. I am sure the phins checked out the injury. The people complaining do not know much about college football. The guy can play both T positions and G.

I like both corners.

We missed out on tight ends.

I like Patton WR and T Williams OLB in 4th

Sims TE and Mills OT in the 5th

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: April 27, 2013 06:26AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Thomas is a good OLineman I like the pick. This
> guy shut down Clownet playing LT his junior year.
> I am sure the phins checked out the injury. The
> people complaining do not know much about college
> football. The guy can play both T positions and G.
>
>
> I like both corners.
>
> We missed out on tight ends.
>

Otten or Sims would be a good choice. Not going to replace Keller as #1 but would both be solid #2 TE's.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 27, 2013 11:07AM

Berk, you made a point that made me realize something about Ireland.

He does good with his FIRST picks, Jake Long, Ryan Tannehill, etc. but he usually fails with his later picks.

I think he did well with Dion Jordan although maybe he knows more about this Florida running back than most of the world knows because he should have taken Jonathan Franklin long before.

Also could have grabbed Keenan Allen.

Sometimes people do that. They do first do one thing brilliantly. Then they get big headed and act like a drunk and screw up afterwards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.