HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Mark Duper arrested
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mark Duper arrested
Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: March 21, 2013 05:47PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mark Duper arrested
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: March 21, 2013 05:54PM

child abuse. the kid was like 17 or 18 and dupe's in his 50s. Hardly a fair fight, the kid should've been arrested for elder abuse.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 21, 2013 06:12PM

So his "defiant" 17 yr old son thought he could take on the ole' man eh? Too bad. I used to get the belt or a swift kick in the ass back when I was rebellious & thought I knew everything. I remember my dad chasing me down the hallway many of time. And I deserved it.

Date: March 21, 2013 06:27PM

And u didn't call the cops on your dad

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 21, 2013 06:29PM

Even as a retired Prosecutor, I can tell you that sometimes the police have a pecking order.

Believe the Wife over the Husband,
Believe the Child over the parent,
Believe the girl over the Boy.

They don't like to have their cases dropped by the District Attorney. They know that if it is Girl on Guy or child on parent, the DA might "kick it" known as a "DA reject."

But the main problem is that the damn cops just love to arrest SOMEbody.

In the old days, they would have shown up, separated the two, and said, "If we get another call, we're coming back AND TAKING YOU BOTH TO JAIL."

They usually never got another call, even one from the neighbors.

Another thing, kids nowadays (my boys are 39 and 35), unlike when my kids were minors tell parents of the age of my sons "You touch me and I'm calling the police and they will arrest you for domestic violence."

Maybe Duper was in the wrong. But if he was, it was because the kid showed him no respect and he figured, "In for a penny, in for a pound."

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 22, 2013 04:10AM

Some states ( I believe connecticut is one) have a law that if there's a domestic violence call, the cops HAVE to make an arrest.

This stems from cases where 911 gets called to the residence of married couples fighting, cops come, wife gets convinced not to press the matter, they pretend to make up, cops leave, then husband proceeds to hit the wife (or worse).

MAYBE this is the sort of arrest that happened here. Because they had to. Hopefully it'll amount to nothing.

And shame on me for assuming substance abuse was involved. angry smiley

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 22, 2013 04:19AM

punching, choking, body slamming???? Doesn't sound like a technicality.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 22, 2013 04:30AM

Plus the kid is 17.

By the time I was 17 I was taller than my father.

It sounds more like a fight than the image that the phrase "child abuse" normally invokes.

I'm not condoning it. I have no idea what happened.

I wonder if there's a history there or if this is a one off event?

Date: March 22, 2013 05:09AM

lost in this is that Hugh Green was over the house and was the witness (he sided with Duper). Hugh Green was great. He was one of my favorite players as a kid.
Before he blew his knee out he was just a notch below LT as a LB at the time. I think he had something like 5 sacks thru 3 games before he blew his knee out against the jets on the concrete playing surface at the old meadowlands. A shame.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 22, 2013 05:29AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> lost in this is that Hugh Green was over the house
> and was the witness (he sided with Duper). Hugh
> Green was great. He was one of my favorite players
> as a kid.
> Before he blew his knee out he was just a notch
> below LT as a LB at the time. I think he had
> something like 5 sacks thru 3 games before he blew
> his knee out against the jets on the concrete
> playing surface at the old meadowlands. A shame.

Green was a flat out STUD. Best college defender I ever saw. He should have beaten out George Rogers for the 1980 Heisman Trophy but the bias against defenders was worse back then.

I was so pumped when we traded for him. Then he blew out the knee and was never the same.

Man were we cursed back then.

Larry Gordon died of a heart attack in the summer of 1983. David Overstreet died in a car accident in the summer of 1984. We traded for Green in 1985 and he wrecked his knee shortly thereafter.

Date: March 22, 2013 05:54AM

If I remember correctly, I think we traded Anthony Carter (never should've done that, imagine him with duper, clayton, nat moore, and marino!!) to Minn for LB Robin Sendlein and a 2d round pick (can't beleive I rememeber that)---bad trade. Then we took that second round pick and our first and turned it into Hugh Green via trade with Bucs, who promptly got injured in his 3d game the following season and was never the same again.
I remember Green wore some kind of visor on his helmet, which I hadn't seen before

Date: March 22, 2013 06:07AM

Marino cheats, Duper beats....I guess Clayton is next

.....................................................................................

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 22, 2013 09:04AM

eesti Wrote:
> Marino cheats, Duper beats....I guess Clayton is
> next

Hopefully he just tweets.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 09:07AM

eesti Wrote:
> Marino cheats, Duper beats....I guess Clayton is
> next

Or maybe joe rose will try and play house with his eldest.

Date: March 22, 2013 09:20AM

Too far...

Date: March 22, 2013 09:44AM

I don't get it

Date: March 22, 2013 09:55AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Even as a retired Prosecutor, I can tell you that
> sometimes the police have a pecking order.
>
> Believe the Wife over the Husband,
> Believe the Child over the parent,
> Believe the girl over the Boy.
>
> They don't like to have their cases dropped by the
> District Attorney. They know that if it is Girl
> on Guy or child on parent, the DA might "kick it"
> known as a "DA reject."
>
> But the main problem is that the damn cops just
> love to arrest SOMEbody.
>
> In the old days, they would have shown up,
> separated the two, and said, "If we get another
> call, we're coming back AND TAKING YOU BOTH TO
> JAIL."
>
> They usually never got another call, even one from
> the neighbors.
>
> Another thing, kids nowadays (my boys are 39 and
> 35), unlike when my kids were minors tell parents
> of the age of my sons "You touch me and I'm
> calling the police and they will arrest you for
> domestic violence."
>
> Maybe Duper was in the wrong. But if he was, it
> was because the kid showed him no respect and he
> figured, "In for a penny, in for a pound."

LOL. I missed you Chyrene! No pecking order exists . We go by extent of injury Vs. the reason. Direspect does not warrant a beat down to the point of uncounciousness. Sorry. I love Dupe, I met him this past season and he was really nice to my Boys and signed a bunch of stuff. But it sounds like he lost it. I have a feeling charges will be dropped and hugs will prevail. But from a liablbility POV the police need to act. If anything else happened and the situation escalated , the police are on the hook. NO pecking order.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: angryseas2000 ()
Date: March 22, 2013 02:14PM

Tough call ..the choking seems over the top if true..if he was a cock-sured defiant 17 year old and the old man laid him out write it off as a father teaching his son a hard lesson that he might learn harder somewhere else. Choking just brings on out a whole other image. Kind of funny i have a 7 yr old who is a parents dream and a 3year old (still a parents dream) but very stubborn and very defiant. i have always told my wife i am just not a hit your kid kind of parent until its really necesary but just the last few weeks i have seen it in my three year old where i will eventually get to that line in the sand. MY point being if duper is overall seen (by people who know him) as a reasonable responosible dad, them he desserves the benefit of the doubt that even in knocking his son out he had his sons best interest at heart. BUt he loses me at the choking aspect.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: March 23, 2013 05:07AM

We don't have all the facts. Unless there's a history of physical abuse by the dad over his teenage son, this matter should be resolved in dad's favor.

I've dealt with charges made by daughters against their fathers on sexual abuse of physical abuse. Sometimes there's something to it other times, the facts reveal a pissed off kid that knows they can get their important dad in trouble by complaining to authorities. Each case needs to looked at carefully, very carefully.

Date: March 23, 2013 05:37AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> And u didn't call the cops on your dad

I don't think they even had 911 yet lol. Cops over here back then were a different breed. If you got pulled over for a broken tail light and they saw everyone in the car with a can of beer, they'd simply make you dump it out and send you on your way.

Date: March 23, 2013 06:22AM

You dial 808 overthere

Date: March 23, 2013 08:47AM

808phan Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And u didn't call the cops on your dad
>
> I don't think they even had 911 yet lol. Cops over
> here back then were a different breed. If you got
> pulled over for a broken tail light and they saw
> everyone in the car with a can of beer, they'd
> simply make you dump it out and send you on your
> way.

It sucks. Its a very letigous society we live in now. You let that kid go with a can of beer and he slams into a mini van you can be sued personally as well as professionally. Also every kid has a phone with a cell camera in it. I know of cops that have let kids off with a warning who found themselves on You Tube being the subject of bragging rights and letters from their parents. Can't give breaks anymore. You risk too much.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 23, 2013 09:49AM

Hows this for cop laziness - The golf course adjacent to our property brought some dirt/landfill in to create a berm for flood control along a fairway and then started building a fence line along the berm.

One day I found a human skull in this dirt, a portion of the top part of the skull was exposed on the surface. When I called the police they assumed it was ancient Hawaiian remains and refused to do anything about it. They told me that all they would do is hang it on top of the fence post.

One thing is definite - Police nowadays are way more thorough with everything. And that is a good thing.

Date: March 23, 2013 12:06PM

Date: March 23, 2013 03:25PM

Date: March 24, 2013 10:10AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Even as a retired Prosecutor, I can tell you
> that
> > sometimes the police have a pecking order.

> LOL. I missed you Chyrene! No pecking order
> exists . We go by extent of injury Vs. the reason.
> Direspect does not warrant a beat down to the
> point of uncounciousness. Sorry. I love Dupe, I
> met him this past season and he was really nice to
> my Boys and signed a bunch of stuff. But it sounds
> like he lost it. I have a feeling charges will be
> dropped and hugs will prevail. But from a
> liablbility POV the police need to act. If
> anything else happened and the situation escalated
> , the police are on the hook. NO pecking order.

I missed you too, Treasure. Glad to have you back. I did say "sometimes" above however.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: March 29, 2013 10:57AM

I get the disrespect thing that went on with the kid, but seems like this got way out of hand.

Sad

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 02, 2013 07:11AM

I'm only 30 years old. When I was raised from oh say 6-17 years old, I fell into a strange time in the world when half of parents still "spanked" their kids, and the other half considered a swat on the backside "abuse". My old man, hell even my mother, raised me without any reservations as to giving me a good hit on the head if I got out of line. When I got bigger my dad had no problem smacking the crap out of me, if I deserved it.

The problem as I see it is that there is no middle ground today. Either parents are going to jail, or the kids are running the hen house. This situation screams to me of a 17 year old thinking he could run the hen house and his dad let him know that if you want to stand up to me like a man I'll treat you like one. One thing to keep in mind here. One year later in this "kids" life, and Duper would have gone to jail for assault. The term child abuse is twisting this situation into something more devious than it may be.

Date: April 02, 2013 10:29AM

Good post Odenn but I think you mistyped one year later, Duper "would" instead of "would not."

I have said this often on my soap boxes in many different contexts.

It goes back to the old axiom that "Power always seeks a vacuum."

By that is meant that if there is ever a situation where no one is in control someone will step in to fill that control situation.

Odenn, even MORE critical than the parent-child role is the student-teacher role.

I grew up in Oklahoma wherein the teachers whacked us CONSTANTLY.

The old rule was that if you got whipped by a teacher at school THAT AUTOMATICALLY MEANT YOU GOT ANOTHER WHIPPING AT HOME from your parents. You were in the wrong! No questions asked.

The same thing was true of OTHER ADULTS. Any adult could whip you out on the street for misbehaving. They took you home to your parents, knocked on the door, told them what happened and you got ANOTHER whipping from your parents.

Folks, that led to our worst childhood thug owning a Radio Shack franchise as an adult.

But you know what happens NOW??

The paddle has been taken away from the teacher and the parents and BULLIES run the school.

Bullies can torture a kid mentally. They can lead to an Adam Lanza.

The teachers can't confront the bullies in the only language that makes a different and that language is a whack on the head.

Now I can imagine some of you seething out there about some other adult whacking your kid on the head.

But let me tell you that FOR THIRTY EIGHT YEARS, I used to see your kids in the criminal justice system. We prosecute them and send them to prison.

You know why? You are not letting your kid learn the lesson to respect other's rights in kindergarten, elementary school up to high school. In fact, SOCIETY is not letting them learn that lesson.

They grow up thinking there are no rules that they are "bound to respect."

BUT THEN THEY HIT 18 YEARS OF AGE.

They are adults. But they have never been taught that there are limits.

They do the same crap and "BAM!" They are righteously arrested and hit with all these sanctions.

That comes FROM YOU not teaching the kid that improper behavior SHOULD BE MET WITH PAIN.

So all you are doing is gently guiding your kid to jail.

Now some kids are lucky enough to be born with a sense of obligation to others. But a lot of kids don't have that makeup and relate to things on a "pain versus pleasure" basis.

If your kid is the latter type, his own ethics won't keep him out of jail and we WILL put him in jail when we get the opportunity!

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: April 02, 2013 10:45AM

Well said ChyrenB thumbs up

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.