HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Patterson
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Patterson
Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 21, 2013 04:21AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Patterson
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 21, 2013 05:40AM

He does catch the ball too much with his body when he doesn't have to.

He certainly is an exciting prospect, and he looks like his hands are good enough that you can coach him out of using his body too much but I have two serious issues with him:

1- How smart is he? Our offense demands 5 intelligent WR's who run good routes, have excellent hands and get YAC.

He's a JUCO guy with one below average year of production for a 21 year old "star" WR at the D1 level. That's a MAJOR concern.

2- Half of the highlights in that link were runs or kick returns.

That worries me also. Reminds me too much of Ted Ginn's production in college. Scary good with the ball in his hands but not good enough to get that ball often enough as a receiver.

I think he's to risky at #12 because of the JUCO issue, at least until proven otherwise...but he's physically gifted enough that it would be hard not to get excited if we drafted him.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 21, 2013 06:48AM

Yes there is a reason he had to go to JUCO and why didn't he dominate when he got a starting spot in 2012?

Da'rick Rogers was suspended and CP took over along side Justin Hunter.

Hunter had 1083/9 and CP had 778/5. Cordarelle had exactly ONE "hundred yard game" and it was against Troy.

If he cannot dominate against GA State and Kentucky then chances are he is going to get shut down by the Patriots and Jets and Bills.

vs Alabama = 1 rec for 25 yards. 2 rushers for -6 yards.

vs Akron = 2 rec for 20 yards.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 06:48AM by eesti.

Date: February 21, 2013 08:40AM

Who was his QB? He shields the ball really well with his body. I'm not really concerned about this body catching stuff. He catches the ball that is all that matters.

He is also bigger then Ginn and not scared of contact like Ginn was. He blows that one defender up in the one highlight.

Get the ball in his hands on a slant and watch the YAC roll up.

Interviews he seems like a good kid,, no prima dona.

Not sure why he went Juco so will have to see on that. I dont know too many really bright WR though. the ones that study and work are the best, and he mentions working often.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 21, 2013 09:07AM

Now all of the above are the type of comments people should engage in.

All of the above post analyze the player himself, his skills or lack, his competition, etc.

All of this "No. 12 is too high for him, he does not project to be a no. etc." is BS.

All you're doing is relying on the draft gurus. All they are really are fortune tellers.

That's even worse than trying to project how he will play in the pros from the level of competition in college.

It's BS! If you look at tape of Keenan Allen and/or Corradelle Patterson and you like how he does, you draft him at no. 12.

On draft day in 1985, a lot of these experts were against drafting at NO. 16, a wide receiver from Mississippi state but they can only do what they do and that is to make predictions.

Luckily both the Dallas Cowboys and the SF 49ers knew better. They both went after the guy and SF got him, Jerry Rice that is.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: February 21, 2013 09:13AM

I've been digging on this kid for a while now. He's arguably the MOST exciting athlete in the draft IMO. Immense potential but... seems rather "high risk" and certifiably a "raw" talent who probably needs significant time to develop into a polished NFL WR.

But... the kids talents would seem to translate into immediate impact by using his skills in multiple implementations including special teams, read option reverses, a few basic routes (slant, deep outs etc.) and just getting the rock in his hands (especially on the move and in some space and) watch OUT this dude is an end-zone freakazoid!

As others have stated -- a lot depends on his gray matter and overall maturity and seriousness about football (as a dedicated PRO and so forth...)

But... yea... the kid sure looks amazingly exciting!

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: February 21, 2013 09:33AM

Either take a shot at RAW talent (Patterson, Ansah, etc) at twelve or get Warmack. The OL definitely needs help and Warmack will make an immediate impact BUT he won't sell tickets.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 21, 2013 09:41AM

What is there, really, in this draft? Any can't miss, blue-chippers? If there is, they will probably be gone within the top 5.

Does Miami seriously draft a guy at 12 and HOPE he can contribute right away, or do they draft a guy they KNOW (or at least all signs point that way) will contribute right away?

Miami signs one (or maybe two) of the top WR FAs, then if Patterson, or whomever, is drafted by Miami, he can learn from these guys. He won't have to play right away.

A WR takes 2-3 years to get used to the pro game? This will give that rookie WR time to do so.

But....is someone like that worth taking at 12? If my job was on the line, I wouldn't take that WR. My first pick in the 2nd round would be used for that IF any of the guys I had high on my board were still there.

Date: February 21, 2013 09:41AM

The problem with that is Jerey Rice had the production (the main thing I am talking about).

If Patterson had 4,693 yards and 50 Td's (like Rice who went to a small State college, Mississippi VALLEY State) there wouldn't be much debate.

Patterson did not dominate at either level. (77 ypg at JUCO)

.....................................................................................

Date: February 21, 2013 09:46AM

dolphin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who was his QB?

Tyler Bray. Projected 2nd-4th round pick this year.

3600 yards passing, 60% completions, 34 TD's 12 Int's....146.3 QBR

The issues with Patterson's lack of production AREN'T on his QB.

> He shields the ball really well
> with his body. I'm not really concerned about this
> body catching stuff. He catches the ball that is
> all that matters.

That's a highlight reel. Its not going to show you drops. I know its all we have to work with but its not conclusive when it comes to how often he drops the ball. It does give you a chance to view his mechanics. To see HOW he catches the ball under pressure, when its a foot or two off target, etc.

Mechanics are vital to YAC and YAC is vital to our offense, its why you should be concerned about ANY wr who is a body catcher.

Our offense is predicated on YAC yards for guys off short and intermediate routes. If you throw someone a quick slant or out and they snatch the ball with their hands they get turned up field faster and have more space to make a move. If a WR consistently waits for the ball to get to his body, and then for him to control it, he give the defender an extra step or even two to close the gap and limit the YAC.

It my major issue with Wallace. It should be a major concern with any prospect (FA or draft) we are looking at.

>
> He is also bigger then Ginn and not scared of
> contact like Ginn was. He blows that one defender
> up in the one highlight.

Not saying he is Tedd Ginn, but I'm not looking for a special teamer at #12. I'm looking for a #1 WR.

I couldn't care less about his running or kick returns. All it tells me is what I already know. He's electric with the ball in his hands. My concern is how we get the ball in his hands. If its going to be on reverses and kick returns then we don't need him.

Same when I see highlights of a college QB and half the highlights are runs. Runs that rarely exist in the NFL vs NFL defenses.

If half a guy's resume is stuff that doesn't apply to the most important aspects of the job you are considering him for then that is a RED FLAG.

It also doesn't mean he's a bust because its a red flag. It just means "proceed with caution".

>
> Get the ball in his hands on a slant and watch the
> YAC roll up.

Not if he waits to catch it against his body all the time.

>
> Interviews he seems like a good kid,, no prima
> dona.

That's a plus. But I'm worried about his intelligence.

There are reasons kids with his raw skills end up in JUCO and few, if any of them, are positive.

>
> Not sure why he went Juco so will have to see on
> that. I dont know too many really bright WR
> though. the ones that study and work are the best,
> and he mentions working often.

How many WR's do you know? lol...

Very few dumb WR's make it in the NFL for very long.

Especially in the west coast offense.

That's the thing you have to take into account with ANYONE we draft. Does he fit what we are trying to build? If he doesn't then its a waste to draft him.

If this guy checks out on the intelligence meter to have the brains to excel in our offense then he's a good pick.

If he doesn't he's like Ryan Mallett a few years ago...a guy with an elite skill-set but missing the other components to make him an elite player.

Its one thing to take a shot on a guy like that in the 3rd round.

Its a BAD idea to do it in the top half of the first round.

Date: February 21, 2013 09:47AM

captkoi Wrote:
> Miami signs one (or maybe two) of the top WR FAs,
> then if Patterson, or whomever, is drafted by
> Miami, he can learn from these guys. He won't
> have to play right away.
>
> A WR takes 2-3 years to get used to the pro game?
> This will give that rookie WR time to do so.
>
> But....is someone like that worth taking at 12?
> If my job was on the line, I wouldn't take that
> WR. My first pick in the 2nd round would be used
> for that IF any of the guys I had high on my board
> were still there.

If we sign two FA WR's then we can potentially draft a project at WR in the first round.

I am with you though. If my job is on the line and I am expected to get to the playoffs this year, I am taking whatever stud happens to drop to 12....whether that be Star Lotu, Sharrif Floyd or Eric Fisher. Those are players that can contribute right away and are pretty sure fire bets.

Date: February 21, 2013 09:47AM

captkoi Wrote:
> What is there, really, in this draft? Any can't
> miss, blue-chippers? If there is, they will
> probably be gone within the top 5.
>
> Does Miami seriously draft a guy at 12 and HOPE he
> can contribute right away, or do they draft a guy
> they KNOW (or at least all signs point that way)
> will contribute right away?
>
> Miami signs one (or maybe two) of the top WR FAs,
> then if Patterson, or whomever, is drafted by
> Miami, he can learn from these guys. He won't
> have to play right away.
>
> A WR takes 2-3 years to get used to the pro game?
> This will give that rookie WR time to do so.
>
> But....is someone like that worth taking at 12?
> If my job was on the line, I wouldn't take that
> WR. My first pick in the 2nd round would be used
> for that IF any of the guys I had high on my board
> were still there.

Exactly.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 10:12AM

Patterson looks like a good WR but if we sign Wallace we don't have to draft a WR in the first rnd. Cut the JUCO b/s to many player have gone that route and produced. That's not a barometer for football intelligence or intelligence period. People talk w/ their heads up their ****. Many kids do not do what it takes to prepare to enter a 4 yr college and take the JC route.

Date: February 21, 2013 10:30AM

Who are these "many" I keep hearing about? Why do people always use the word "many" to describe the exception, as opposed to the rule?

The level of dedication and mental toughness that is required by the NFL is incomparible. If those kids don't have what it takes to prepare to enter a 4 year college then chances are they don't have the level of long term committment it takes to be successful in the NFL. It's a legitimate question that needs to be asked for teams that are getting ready to fork over MILLIONS of dollars.

It doesn't mean they are stupid. It just means they may not have the personality traits needed to play in the NFL.

Sure, some can overcome the odds but again, it would be the exception. Not the rule.

This is a kid with an elite skill set. You don't think he had people along the way to help him get into college? He was a high school football star in South Carolina who probably had college scouts breathing down his neck.

Yes. Some kids don't have the supporting cast to help them meet the requirements to get into a decent university. It took him, not one, but two years at JUCO to meet the academic requirements to get into a div I school. I would have to question at least, his level of committment, if not his intellect.

Date: February 21, 2013 11:45AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Patterson looks like a good WR but if we sign
> Wallace we don't have to draft a WR in the first
> rnd. Cut the JUCO b/s to many player have gone
> that route and produced. That's not a barometer
> for football intelligence or intelligence period.
> People talk w/ their heads up their ****. Many
> kids do not do what it takes to prepare to enter a
> 4 yr college and take the JC route.

Sorry Mizzou, but its not BS.

Kids end up in JUCO's because of a lot of different reasons. ONE of them is intelligence, another is a lack of discipline...both are problematic for success in the NFL.

Chad Johnson went the JUCO route...his issue wasn't whether he was dumb or not...it was a bunch of issues.

Issues that dogged him throughout his career.

Btw...he was a 1st round talent who slid into the 2nd round because of those issues.

The point isnt that because he went JUCO he's automatically dumb. Its the fact THAT he had to go the JUCO route that is the red flag and you had better know the ins and outs of why he had to go there if you are going to spend the 12th pick on the guy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 11:47AM by THE Truth.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 12:05PM

Jason Pierre Paul, Cam Newton, even Aaron Rodgers and many more spent time in junior college programs for different reasons..Those are 3 pretty elite NFL stars who came up through juco.. IMO it isn't the stigma it once was in the NFl...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: February 21, 2013 12:21PM

He went to Juco 'cause he wanted to stay close to his momma.

I hear she cooks some damn fine bird.

Don't dis based on the kids dedication to family. I mean Teddy Bear had a nice family and went to Ohio State fur 4 years and what did that prove? See what I mean!
As always -- check between the chalk lines before you run the 40!

Do some research. Get the facts. Don't just react. Don't use your mind like an anus.

BNF.

Date: February 21, 2013 12:54PM

On our own team, Paul Solia, Koa Misi, Daniel Thomas.. Other stars Steve Smith, Jonathan Joseph, Brando Jacobs, Carl nicks, etc all juco programs initially...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: February 21, 2013 03:12PM

Little birds that can't leave the nest don't hunt.

Date: February 22, 2013 03:05AM

eesti Wrote:
> Little birds that can't leave the nest don't hunt.

Like Aaron Rodgers who went to Butte Community College, the closest school to his home... Then went onto hunt down a Vince Lomabardi Trophy, Super Bowl MVP trophy, and an NFL Player of the Year award.... I guess that little bird somehow learned to hunt from his nest pretty well....

Nietzsche

Date: February 22, 2013 03:30AM

Aaron Rodgers DID NOT go to Butte CC because of academic failure. He went because he was not offered a scholarship to play Div I QB at 5'10 and 160 lbs. He was also able to transfer after 1 year in CC as opposed to the two years it took Cordarelle.

He didn't stay in Butte just to be close to mommy so your entire point is what exactly?

I have not seen any evidence that Patterson went to JUCO only to be close to his mother. If he did that would show less intelligence than just screwing around in HS...if your goal is to get in the NFL. Come on. really?

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 22, 2013 04:46AM

eesti Wrote:
> Little birds that can't leave the nest don't hunt.

Speaking of birds, Larry Bird stayed close to home, and that didn't hurt his career.

Date: February 22, 2013 05:21AM

Date: February 22, 2013 05:41AM

JUCO does not mean someone is stupid. Gheesh was a silly comment.

Patterson is the most talented player in the draft. You can go safe and draft a center or guard, but where has that gotten us exactly?

He catches the ball the way it needs to be caught. There are game films that show his skills that are not highlight reals.

Dez Bryant returns kicks too... get the ball in the play makers hands.

Concerned about the other WR because he has not seen the press coverage the way SEC WR has.

Patterson may not have burnt up JUCO, but a major team in the SEC wanted him.

Date: February 22, 2013 06:01AM

dolphin Wrote:
> JUCO does not mean someone is stupid. Gheesh was a
> silly comment.

I missed it. Where did someone say that going to JUCO guarantees that you are stupid?

>
> Patterson is the most talented player in the
> draft. You can go safe and draft a center or
> guard, but where has that gotten us exactly?

We don't need a center. A guard we could use.

In fact there are more than a few pundits who think the two best players in this draft are Luke Joekel (OT) and Chance Warmack (OG)...and not Cordarelle Patterson.

>
> He catches the ball the way it needs to be caught.
> There are game films that show his skills that are
> not highlight reals.

I disagree. But its off a small sample size. He does catch the ball against his body a lot. That can be an issue, especially in our offensive scheme. But I've also seen him use his hands when he could have used his body. All that tells me at the end of the day is that his technique is inconsistent or lazy.

If you are considering drafting him and you think you can coach that up then its a non issue. but if you are considering drafting him you better investigate WHY he does it.

>
> Dez Bryant returns kicks too... get the ball in
> the play makers hands.

Bryant was used sparingly as a kick returner and he destroyed his college league as a Soph with over 1400 yards.

He's a completely different prospect.

>
> Patterson may not have burnt up JUCO, but a major
> team in the SEC wanted him.

Nobody is saying he doesn't have talent. but he put up half the stats Bryant did in college and HALF of his yardage was on runs and kick returns.

He wasn't dominant at the college level...why was that?

Date: February 22, 2013 07:36AM

Date: February 22, 2013 07:44AM

They do not count KR yards in the receiving yards... gheesh.

Date: February 22, 2013 09:26AM

Date: February 22, 2013 09:32AM

And I don't equate 10% to "many" That's .1 or 1/10. "Many" is defined by "the majority" or "the masses."

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 22, 2013 09:38AM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.