HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The Myth of Sean Smith
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The Myth of Sean Smith
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 20, 2013 03:25PM

Here is the myth of Sean Smith: He did a great job shutting down Larry Fitzgerald and AJ Green, and that shows how much potential he has.

Is this really the case? Let's start with the game against Larry Fitzgerald, when Sean Smith had his only 2 INTS of the season. In that game, Fitzgerald had 8 catches for 64 yards, with 1 TD. The 64 yards is impressive for Smith, but 8 catches and 1 TD? Fitzgerald had an awful year, as the Cardinals were hopeless and their QB situation was awful. Fitzgerald only had 1 game all season with more than 8 catches. And he only had 5 games all year with more than 64 yards. And he only scored 4 TD all year. So, his game against Smith was actually one of his better games of the season.

Thanks to the great stuff at profootballfocus.com, we can look at that game in even greater detail. The first thing I notice there is that Fitzgerald's TD came against Richard Marshall, and not Sean Smith. But, Smith did allow a 15 yard TD to Andre Roberts. Overall, Smith was thrown at 12 times in the game, allowing 8 completions for 76 yards with 1 TD, and had 1 pass defensed and 2 INTs. You have to love the INTs, but is this really a great example of a shutdown corner?

Let's go to the Cincy game and Smith's matchup with AJ Green. Green got 8 targets with Smith covering him, and produced 5 catches for 36 yards, with 1 TD. Smith had one pass defensed. Again, the yards allowed is impressive, but does 8 targets and a TD allowed scream elite corner? Overall for the game, Smith was targeted 10 times, allowing 7 total catches for 54 yards and the one TD.

Those are the two games that folks point to when talking about how good Smith can be. Do the actual facts of what happened in those games indicate that he is worth the franchise tag? Hardly.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Myth of Sean Smith
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 20, 2013 03:46PM

Smith is not worth the franchise tag I agree but trust me we can do a lot worse than this guy. He is another guy I don't want to over pay on but we better damn well be ready to replace him and not w/ someone currently on our roster.

Date: February 20, 2013 04:04PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Smith is not worth the franchise tag I agree but
> trust me we can do a lot worse than this guy. He
> is another guy I don't want to over pay on but we
> better damn well be ready to replace him and not
> w/ someone currently on our roster.

With $48M in cap space, a ton of free agent corners on the market, and 5 draft picks in the top 82 picks, do you think we would let Smith go and not replace him?

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 20, 2013 05:26PM

Let him go and sign a Jarius Byrd and snag a Phillip Thomas,TJ McDonald, Bacarri Rambo, Jonathan Cyprien in the draft

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: February 20, 2013 07:37PM

Another Ireland Disaster.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 03:04AM

I agree w/ the most of the post but Smith is not a bad corner or a bust. He has terrible hands but that's why he plays cb. My point is we can do worse.

I like Phil Thomas when he was at Syracuse butwe are talking about corners. Those guys u hav listed are safeties

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 07:34AM

I recall somebody posting the video clip of Smith making that spectacular one handed interception during preseason of his rookie year. Pretty impressive, very un-bust like. Evidently he has the hands but, maybe he just hasn't found his groove yet. I still think he can develop further with help.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 22, 2013 07:01AM

smith started out as a WR so his inability to catch is baffling. Howver except for that season where he dropped a ton of INTs, I don't really recall him being in position to pick off all that many.
smith is not worth what he is going to demand to be paid, and I think we're better off with one of the other DBs on the market at a lesser salary than overpaiyng for "potential" that frankly, if it was going to materialize, would have/should have already. I mean, how many players become much better in year 5 than they were in years 1-4?

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 22, 2013 07:15AM

This is what I would offer on a yearly salary...

Smith 5 mil
Bush 4.5 mil
Hartline 4.75 mil
Long 4 mil
Starks 5.5 mil
Fasano 3 mil
Clemons 3.5 mil

I may go up slightly for Bush, Hartline and Clemons and make Buch my 3rd down back and 1st and 2nd down slot receiver.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 22, 2013 07:40AM

You might sign Clemons on the list, but that would be about it.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 22, 2013 09:36AM

Sean SMyth spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 22, 2013 09:40AM

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 22, 2013 10:00AM

eesti Wrote:
> This is what I would offer on a yearly salary...
>
> Smith 5 mil
> Bush 4.5 mil
> Hartline 4.75 mil
> Long 4 mil
> Starks 5.5 mil
> Fasano 3 mil
> Clemons 3.5 mil

Interesting.

Here's what I'd offer these guys and why:

Smith.... I really don't want him back. He's not that good, he doesn't fit our scheme. If he's here we'll always be looking for a better player. That makes him a back up. $2.5 mil per/3 years.

Bush...Don't want him back at starter money. Good player. Good teammate and leader. But I'm ready to move on to Lamar Miller. 2 years/$2.5 per.

Fasano...is a back up. If he's #1 on our depth chart come September we failed to upgrade the position. Anyway, blocking TE's that are #2 on the depth chart don't warrant much... 3 years/$2 mill per.

Clemons....This is a tough one. The kid has developed nicely. Not sure he's going to ever be really good, but he's above average. Byrd isn't likely going to be on the market so I'm inclined to resign him. 4 years/3.5 per.

Long...I don't think Jake is done like many around here do. But I do think he's more RT than LT going forward. I'd offer him 3 years/$6mill per. That way if he recovers and improves his level of play he can still go hit a big payday. If he leaves, no hard feelings.

Starks...$5.5 per/3 years. Very solid player, not a playmaker. Not paying $6+ mill for a guy who doesn't sack the QB and doesn't score TD's or make it possible for others to score TD's.

Hartline...he's the only guy I'd overpay a little to keep. I think he will blossom with another legit WR opposite him and Tannehill at QB and I think having him signed going into FA will keep us from getting help up by other WR's. An extra $500k a year to Hartline probably saves us 3x that amount on a big ticket FA. 4 years/$5mill per.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: February 22, 2013 11:16AM

I don't know if smith is the guy, but DBs are important and the FINS need to learn how to keep quality DBs on the roster.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 22, 2013 01:38PM

eesti Wrote:
> This is what I would offer on a yearly salary...
>
> Smith 5 mil
> Bush 4.5 mil
> Hartline 4.75 mil
> Long 4 mil
> Starks 5.5 mil
> Fasano 3 mil
> Clemons 3.5 mil
>
> I may go up slightly for Bush, Hartline and
> Clemons and make Buch my 3rd down back and 1st and
> 2nd down slot receiver.

No way Long's agent would even talk to you with your $4M offer.

I understand your point, but he and his agent think that he still has a lot of football left and that he can get through the season healthy and once again playing at a Pro Bowl level.

I doubt if Ireland thinks that, but that's what the thinking is in Long's camp, which is why I don't see him staying in Miami.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 22, 2013 01:42PM

Phinjim Wrote:
> I don't know if smith is the guy, but DBs are
> important and the FINS need to learn how to keep
> quality DBs on the roster.

Smith is good, but regrettably, not quality, especially for what he will be looking for (pay).

Date: February 23, 2013 02:31AM

There are a ton of corners available in free agency:

Brent Grimes
Chris Houston
Adam Jones
Aqib Talib
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Keenan Lewis
Greg Toler
Bradley Fletcher
Derek Cox
Darius Butler
EJ Biggers
Cary Williams
Tracy Porter

And there are more. They can't all get paid. Is there anyone on the list above who you would think that Sean Smith is way better than? I think he's worse than most of that list.

Don't think that Pacman Jones is off the list for Miami because of Philbin. Kevin Coyle coached Jones in 2011. If Coyle thinks Jones is a changed man, he could be a surprise signing. Because of his history, he probably won't get the big money, yet he might be the best guy on the list.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 23, 2013 08:11AM

If we're going to go anywhere in free agency, like I have said before, the best place to go in terms of position is defensive back.
There, truly more than any other position, NFL experience is needed. There, more than any other position, you don't draft a rookie (at least in the higher rounds) and let him learn by experience costing your defense many points.

In terms of the draft, you get your future all pros at WR, RB, QB, OL, and DL. You don't, year after year, try to pick up gems from the second hand store.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 23, 2013 01:47PM

I like Smith for bigger WR and pass catching TE.. IMO that is a specialty type of player.. He is worth keeping as just that a specialty player but certainly not a number 1 corner.. Problem is we don't have any CB who are a number 1.. Hopefully we make some strong moves in the draft for this position..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.