HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Which Pair of WR's??
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Which Pair of WR's??
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: February 20, 2013 07:59AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Goodwin is listed at 5'9 177 lbs and never had
> much more than a 400/3 season. I still have hopes
> for Fuller. He was once considered a candiadate
> for the first round.

He was a track guy originally so there's room for development.

Supposedly had a tremendous week at the Senior Bowl.

I'm not suggesting he'd be anything more than a 5th-7th round project. Just an intriguing prospect that could be had later in the draft.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: February 20, 2013 10:57AM

The problem with Wallace is not his age but cost and the factors that lead to the Steelers who know him best choosing to sign another guy instead of him... IMO Wallace isn't in Brandon Marshall's league on the field... Marshall had 1500 yards and 11 TD's last year after we traded him.. Wallace has never sniffed those numbers... If we pay Wallace, he becomes the highest paid player on our roster for the next 4 years or so... I think if our highest paid player is Wallace, we are going to have issues during that contract... He is worth 35 maybe, but no where near 60 million... We are foolish to buy that pot of gold IMO..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 21, 2013 03:47AM

Date: February 21, 2013 05:17AM

Date: February 21, 2013 06:07AM

Wallace last years had 836 and 8 TD. Marshall had 1500 yard 11 TD.. There is no comparison.. 60 million to a guy that most believe to be a luxury not even a true number 1, who runs mainly a fly route, with a QB who wasn't so great at the long ball, would be a horrible mistake for our franchise IMO... Wallace isn't even the number 1 on his current team..
Having to foolishly overpay for a guy like Wallace would just underscore Ireland's inability to be a good GM who can build with young players in the draft.. Any GM can over pay, that takes no talet at all, and to me says I am talentless so I have to overpay for someone else eye for talent.. Not a very good plan for Winning..

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: February 21, 2013 06:36AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> Wallace last years had 836 and 8 TD. Marshall had
> 1500 yard 11 TD.. There is no comparison..

You're right that is no comparison because you are taking one guys best year and comparing it to the other's worst year after losing his QB. It's a very selective stat.

> million to a guy that most believe to be a luxury
> not even a true number 1,

Who are these "most"? It is definitely debatable but I have seen just as many debate one side as much as the other. You obviously have to do your homework on him before you make the committment.

who runs mainly a fly
> route, with a QB who wasn't so great at the long
> ball, would be a horrible mistake for our
> franchise IMO... Wallace isn't even the number 1
> on his current team..

That number 1 term is subjective. He has led his team in yards every year except his rookie season when they had Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes. That's 3 out of 4. He led his team 4 out of 4 years in receiving Td's. Sounds like number 1 to me. I don't really care about targets or receptions. It's yards and Td's that matter.

> Having to foolishly overpay for a guy like Wallace
> would just underscore Ireland's inability to be a
> good GM who can build with young players in the
> draft.. Any GM can over pay, that takes no talet
> at all, and to me says I am talentless so I have
> to overpay for someone else eye for talent.. Not a
> very good plan for Winning..

That may or may not be the case but it is irrelevant because the reallity is that Ireland is fighting for his job and has planned on a roster turnover by planning to have 45 mil to spend this year. We are spending some money. His job depends on it. There is just no way to fill all the holes we have in the draft alone. The draft is one part of building a team. You have to use all the tools at your disposal.

No team hits on 100% of the draft. He is purging the mediocre ones that did not turn into stars for play makers....hopefully.

I understand you don't think Wallace is worth it. I'm not so sure one way or the other but I would rather do it and find out as opposed to missing out all together.

Bowe will most likely be back in KC. The fact that Jennings is not our number 1 target should tell you something. Philbin knows the guy intimately. That leaves a 34 year old slot receiver as the only other option or depending solely on the draft for a stud WR....when most say it's all 2nd round talent this year. Sometimes you just have to pull the trigger.

No matter how you view Wallace one thing is for certain. He will draw coverage away from our other receivers and RB's AND still put up a thousand yards and 8-10 td's while being double covered most of the year.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 21, 2013 09:02AM

I tend to agree with Crowder. NOt sure i want him and not at that price

Date: February 21, 2013 09:19AM

I compared Wallace and Marshall with the most recent season, that is not bring selective, just current... This is a "what have you done for me lately" league.. Asking for a 60 million dollar contract after a mediocre year is not such a strong move... Jake Long had a bad year this year but if you avg his last 5 years, he deserves 60 million as well... But you and I both know that is not how it goes in the NFL... I am not saying I dislike Wallace, just that he isn't even the best WR on his team and not worth what he sees his value at IMO.Wallace, thinks he is better then he is, and couldn't even back up his strong financial demands with a strong season..which most elite players are able to do.. If you can't pull it off when it matters, not so sure about your skills to pull it off when it matters for your team..if Wallace wants to take a low contract then sign him, if he doesn't pass... I don't think anyone is gonna pay the guy what he wants, unless Ireland foolishly does..

Nietzsche

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: February 21, 2013 09:28AM

Bess is guaranteed 3.5 mil next year so, if the numbers listed at the start of the thread are close to being accurate (Jennings 8 mil and Welker 7 mil), we could trade Bess and have Jennings and Welker for the same price as Wallace and Bess. To me, Jennings/Hartline/Welker looks a lot better than Wallace/Hartline/Bess.

Add Patterson at 12 (Jennings/Hartline/Welker/Patterson) and we go from the worst WR corps in the league to possibly the best. If not the best, definitely top 2 or 3.

Date: February 21, 2013 10:09AM

The market will dicate. Maybe it's a rude awakening for all the WR's. They all seem to want more than they are worth.

Bowe could be the first one to sign since KC wants him back. He will set the market for the rest of the WR's.

Our main competition for WR's is going to be Cleveland, who has a bounty of cap space. They could also dictate the market by offering a huge contract. Michael Lombardi probably has the biggest say in the decision and I doubt he overpays for a WR when he still needs a QB.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 10:28AM

Its not whether we want them or now......If we would of had our say.....players such as matt ryan would be playing for the phins.

The question is do the dolphins management want them or not.

Date: February 21, 2013 11:22AM

Eesti- yes I agree ultimately the market will take care of itself. Bowe is in the same spot, he didn't exactly repeat his 15 TD performance of 2010, and isn't worth 60 either.. To be honest I don't want to pay any FA that doesn't come from with in our own team and earned it in aqua/orange that type of money. And no FA on our team is worth that type of money this year.
But old Ireland you never know, not many people predicted we would franchise Solia, and then after we did, nobody thought we would get a long term deal done with him last year... So who knows, what Ireland has planned and will do.. I would definitely resign Hartline and Bush, you don't help Tannehill by letting those guys walk from an offense with very few playmakers already..

Nietzsche

Date: February 21, 2013 11:36AM

Ps- I would resign Fasano as well for the same reasons....

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 11:37AM by Crowder52.

Date: February 21, 2013 03:20PM

Date: February 21, 2013 03:32PM

Date: February 21, 2013 03:32PM

eesti Wrote:
> Here is a review of Randall Cobb from last years
> combine....
>
> Mike McCarthy's offense places a premium on pass
> catchers with excellent running skills. Cobb fits
> the mold as a dynamic playmaker, and his
> outstanding versatility as a multi-purpose weapon
> makes him a dangerous option in their three- and
> four-receiver sets. He could be a vital addition
> with the impending departure of James Jones.
>
> Cobb possesses rare competitiveness and great
> intangibles. Not afraid of contact, going over the
> middle, or pass blocking. Good short area speed,
> can press the line and get to the perimeter. Good
> route-runner and can get open against zone.
> Versatile - high school quarterback who played
> running back, receiver, returned kicks, and in the
> Wildcat in college.
>
> I didn't realize he was a slash type running back
> in college.
>
> This running ability sure sounds like one
> Cordarelle Patterson.

Similar skill sets, but Patterson is bigger and probably faster.

Cobb ran a 4.46 40 at the combine in 2011.

He was also the last pick in the 2nd round...not the 12th overall pick.

Date: February 22, 2013 05:40AM

It seems to me that Reggie Bush could be a key weapon in this offense if he was used as a WR more often. If Randall Cobb can do it then I see no reason why Bush could not. This is a guy (Bush) who had over 700 yards receiving as a rookie (and 565 rushing).

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: February 22, 2013 10:57AM

BTW I don't think they are going to pay Jennings or Hartline the numbers suggested on this post.

I think Jennings & Harline both will end up settling for something in 4.5 >>> 5.5

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 22, 2013 01:46PM

Phinjim Wrote:
> BTW I don't think they are going to pay Jennings
> or Hartline the numbers suggested on this post.
>
> I think Jennings & Harline both will end up
> settling for something in 4.5 >>> 5.5

Hartline yes; Jennings no.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.