HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Long
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Long
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 21, 2013 10:03AM

Long is putting the onus on the dolphins as to what they want to do with him. He says he wants to remain in Miami but it's now "up to the Dolphins."

What, it's up to the Dolphins as to whether or not they want to overpay you? You have not finished the last two seasons. Your game is not where it was just a few short years ago. You've been paid "richly" since signing your rookie contract.

Yes, Jake, you are a good player, and the Fins definitely want you back. But....there won't be many teams that will be willing to sign you for what you (and your agent) are asking for, and the team that finally does pay you that kind of money, will (probably) be a team that is on the bottom of the pile and going nowhere.

I'm also tired of hearing these guys say that money isn't the issue, they "play for the love of the game." Really?

Jake, both you and your wife are happy living in Miami (and there is no state tax), so why not realize where you stand in NFL circles (especially playing at LT) and come down on your demands and resign with Miami?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 21, 2013 10:14AM

I hope he does not come down on his asking price. I think he is done and we can do better elsewhere.

He probably wants 10-11 mil a year but is only worth 6 on a short term deal to prove he is healthy and capable. He is in for a rude awakening. The market is full of better players as well as the draft. That is going to drive value down on all OT's this year. For once a trend is in our favor.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: February 21, 2013 12:22PM

soLong. The most overrated Dolphin of ALL TIME!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 21, 2013 04:34PM

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 21, 2013 08:31PM

It's simple supply and demand for Long. The demand for elite LT relative to other postions has declined over the past 5 years while the market looks to be flooded with LT talent in FA and the draft this year...most of whom are healthier than Long has proven to stay over the past couple of years.

Of course, I suppose it only takes one team to pull the trigger on a deal the other 31 wouldn't touch, so supply/demand doesn't always rule every decision.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 22, 2013 04:57AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> soLong. The most overrated Dolphin of ALL TIME!

Perhaps, but Ronnie Brown would challenge for that as well.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: February 22, 2013 05:27AM

He was the best in the league until he got hurt. Overrated does not describe him at all!

"Worn down because of injury" is closer to accurate.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: February 22, 2013 05:50AM

Long is done. I would sign him for half of what he is asking... or less then half.

he has too much pride so I would let me go talk to other teams. if they are dumb enough to pay him more then so be it.

He is not the player he was the first couple years in the league

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 22, 2013 02:13PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope he does not come down on his asking price.
> I think he is done and we can do better
> elsewhere.
>
> He probably wants 10-11 mil a year but is only
> worth 6 on a short term deal to prove he is
> healthy and capable. He is in for a rude
> awakening. The market is full of better players as
> well as the draft. That is going to drive value
> down on all OT's this year. For once a trend is in
> our favor.

Regarding your first statement, LT is a valuable commodity. There aren't a lot of good one's around. Long is good. If he had stayed injury-free, he would be one of the top two LTs in the league.

Saying that, if he had stayed injury-free, Miami would probably lose him anyway, as his asking price would be sky high, something only a few teams out there could afford.

Your second statement....well, the problem is, there will be at least one team out there that will sign him to whatever asking price Long is seeking. Get a team that is drafting late in the first, where all those top OTs will be taken early, and there is Long's destination.

Long will play very well for whatever team signs him, and in the beginning, every Miami fan will be questioning why the Fins let him go, then somewhere down the line, he will get hurt again, then that new team will be asking why they signed him for such a high price?

But, bottom line, good LTs are hard to find, and at present, Miami has one of the better ones.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 23, 2013 02:15AM

There are a lot of tackles on the free agent market, including Sebastian Vollmer, Branden Albert, William Beatty, Sam Baker, and Gosder Cherilus. They aren't all going to get massive contracts because the money simply isn't there to allow that to happen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.