HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Rooney Rule
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Rooney Rule
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 18, 2013 11:48AM

Well, it is starting up again.

All the vacant GM and HC positions have been filled with no minorities filling them.

Not really informed concerning the people who were in the running for the GM positions, but in the coaching ranks, Lovie Smith is the one I thought for sure would have been hired. Scratching my head over that one.

The NFL has said that they will be looking into the Rule and add some items.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rooney Rule
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 18, 2013 12:29PM

I too thought Smith would have been hired. I also think the Bears were stupid for firing him to begin with.

**edit**

I wish him the best. Maybe ESPN will hire him as a commentator. Then maybe after a season of commentating he'll be in demand, and teams will be begging him to coach for them & he can tell them "up yours"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2013 02:10PM by 808phan.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 18, 2013 01:52PM

Yup, 808, just a few minutes ago, before I read this, my nephew was pointing out to me that the great mystery is that Andy Reid loses 12 games and is rightfully fired but is hired the next day and Lovie Smith is fired and Andy Reid is hired ahead of him.

Date: January 18, 2013 02:02PM

Yeah, I wish we had that 10-6 record that Lovie Smith got fired for having. Unbelievable.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: January 18, 2013 02:36PM

dave wannstedt was 10-6 and we all were calling for his head
reid was the only "retread" HC hired and his record is much more accomplished than lovie smith's. I don't see this as a race thing at all

Date: January 18, 2013 03:28PM

True Berk, but we were 1-8 when Wanny quit. Funny though, his 1st 2 years here we went to the playoffs. Albeit though he did inherit JJ's team. I don't know, maybe he couldn't quite build a team for himself?

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: January 18, 2013 03:50PM

Lovies a defensive minded coach, Reid brings an exciting offense to the table..........nothing to look at over here

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 18, 2013 05:23PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> reid was the only "retread" HC hired and his
> record is much more accomplished than lovie
> smith's. I don't see this as a race thing at all

RESPONSE: I'd have been just as puzzled and would have made the same comment if they both had been of the same race, no matter what that race may have been.

It's just that a stiff gets hired AGAIN after losing 12 games and a guy who won 10 gets fired, like the stiff got fired but was not picked up by anyone.

And, as we very well know from following the esteemed Rex Ryan, it's just a puzzle as to how some coaches keep their jobs.

Date: January 19, 2013 03:45AM

I guess the success of Reid's past instead of his recent failures is what kept him in the market Chyren. Probably the same with Ryan - playoff appearances in his first two seasons.

When it's all said and done, I just only hope Philbin can coach this team to more wins this coming season. Would be nice to at least be a Wildcard. I like Joe Philbin's demeanor & I hope he can establish himself as a solid HC in this league, but the chances of winning this division outright with Belichick & Brady seem slim to none in the near future.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 19, 2013 05:48AM

if tony dungy wanted to return he'd have his choice of jobs.

the minority candidates sucked. lovie was ok. ray horton is coming off a 5-11 season. not to many coords become hot candidates off of losing seasons.

Date: January 19, 2013 09:55AM

808phan Wrote:
> Yeah, I wish we had that 10-6 record that Lovie
> Smith got fired for having. Unbelievable.

The NFL is a fickle bunch....as we are all aware, Marty Schottenheimer got fired after a 14-2 season. Brian Billick, a Super Bowl winner, got fired and still doesn't have a coaching job.

Hard to understand, but the black candidates need to look at the above two coaches and their situations to fully understand that it isn't just the color of one's skin.

Date: January 19, 2013 10:04AM

808phan Wrote:
> I guess the success of Reid's past instead of his
> recent failures is what kept him in the market
> Chyren. Probably the same with Ryan - playoff
> appearances in his first two seasons.
>
> When it's all said and done, I just only hope
> Philbin can coach this team to more wins this
> coming season. Would be nice to at least be a
> Wildcard. I like Joe Philbin's demeanor & I hope
> he can establish himself as a solid HC in this
> league, but the chances of winning this division
> outright with Belichick & Brady seem slim to none
> in the near future.

Agreed, it is Reid's past successes that got him this latest job. This is kind of surprising in that the NFL is a league of "what have you done for me lately?"

With Philbin and the Fins, we all hope that the team shows improvement every season, which means both in wins and how they play on the field, i.e., are in every game.

I believe he can do it; I like what I see, thus far. However, much depends on Ireland's draft picks this year. Hopefully, he gets Philbin's input of where he wants to go with this team and who he thinks would fit into what he wants to do.

Winning this division outright is a 3-4 year (realistic) goal. As long as Brady is Brady and keeps all those weapons around him, and Bill stays there, then it will be difficult for any AFC East team to overtake them. For the immediate future, Miami can only hope to keep pace with them. If Miami gets some starters out of this year's draft and a couple in FA, then Miami will be building to be in the race this year, with hopes of fighting for the AFCE crown the following year.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 19, 2013 01:07PM

I've heard African-Americans dominate the NFL (about 67-70%) over white players. Consequently, I think this will take care of itself in time. Whites are the minority when it comes to players.

Date: January 20, 2013 09:19AM

montequi Wrote:
> I've heard African-Americans dominate the NFL
> (about 67-70%) over white players. Consequently,
> I think this will take care of itself in time.
> Whites are the minority when it comes to players.

You are correct. However, the problem with this, IMO, is that ownership is white. Until that changes, I don't see much change going on with the minority population.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.