HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The Pistol
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The Pistol
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 13, 2013 06:03AM

What is everyone's opinion as to why defenses are struggling with the veer or pistol that seems a lot like option offenses ran in the 70's if not earlier? I think Nebraska ran somethng similar with Eric Crouch. Is it just a fad like the wildcat or will we see the Phins run this more with Tannehill to take avantage of his athleticism?

Is it defenses are just designed for drop back passers?

Odd how with Kaepernick in, Michael Crabtree's game has blossomed, but Vernon Davis has besome invisible or just a decoy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Pistol
Posted by: dolphin ()
Date: January 14, 2013 07:45AM

Not really that odd. Young QB's often "forget" about the TE's. Once they become more established they realize how valuable they are.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: January 15, 2013 08:07AM

NOthing is really "new" when we ran the wildcat which took the world by storm it was the old wing t which i think was also run inlike the 70's or something.

The fact is these offense are no gimics. They are offenses that everyone said could not work because this is the pro's and in the NFL that college run option stuff cant work here. Look again. It has been successful in college and continues to be. If they havent been able to stop it in college for like 20-30 years it is not a fad...

I find it funny that this offense is a fad but like they said the hurryup that new england is running, which lots of offenses before it ran somehow is not...

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: January 15, 2013 08:43AM

Miami Reppa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NOthing is really "new" when we ran the wildcat
> which took the world by storm it was the old wing
> t which i think was also run inlike the 70's or
> something.
>
>
> The fact is these offense are no gimics. They are
> offenses that everyone said could not work because
> this is the pro's and in the NFL that college run
> option stuff cant work here. Look again. It has
> been successful in college and continues to be.
> If they havent been able to stop it in college for
> like 20-30 years it is not a fad...
>
> I find it funny that this offense is a fad but
> like they said the hurryup that new england is
> running, which lots of offenses before it ran
> somehow is not...

It's always about execution reppa. As Vince Lombardi used to say, it doesn't matter if the defense knows the play if you out execute them it will work.

To that extent...ANY gimmick, trick, or unusual of fence will succeed or fail based on execution.

The main reason most people said it was never going to work in the NFL isn't schematic, it's about risk.

Qb's are so valuable and great ones are so hard to find that they make a ton of money and eat up a disproportionate amount of cap space. Because of that its in teams best interests to protect that investment by limiting his exposure to violent hits as much as possible.

That said, this new crop of spread option qb's could well break the mold. But rg3 looked less than normal when u took away his mobility. And I doubt a 5'10 Russell Wilson would be nearly as effective if he was forced to sit in the pocket and throw over his oline all day.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 15, 2013 10:12AM

And I thought this thread was going to be about Pete Maravich!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 15, 2013 05:39PM

Peter maravich, may he RIP. Now there's a scoring machine. Imagine him with the 3 point line. Rajon Rondo steals a lot of his moves

Read a story once where he and Julius Erving almost got to play together

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 16, 2013 05:03AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Peter maravich, may he RIP. Now there's a scoring
> machine. Imagine him with the 3 point line. Rajon
> Rondo steals a lot of his moves
>
> Read a story once where he and Julius Erving
> almost got to play together

Some of his highlights are beyond amazing.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 16, 2013 06:30AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Peter maravich, may he RIP. Now there's a scoring
> machine. Imagine him with the 3 point line. Rajon
> Rondo steals a lot of his moves
>
> Read a story once where he and Julius Erving
> almost got to play together

Agreed! Anyone who thinks that NBA players have gotten better over time, and that modern players would easily beat guys from back then haven't watched highlights of Pete Marovich, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Dr. J, Magic Johnson, etc.. Any of those guys would be All Stars today.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: January 16, 2013 12:15PM

I think a couple of points about why this is gaining popularity now.

1. We are seeing a lot of young mobile QBs coming out of college with knowledge of what the pro environment looks like and the skills to be successful in it.

- Specifically able to drop back pass, and also to roll and pass or run.
- The college QBs are now learning and seeing the pro-offense and defense looks more and more.

2. The other aspect of the pistol is that it leaves advantage to the offense when the QB chooses an option to run, as the match up ususally has the defense at a disadvantage of one player (QB cover).

- This leaves a QB with mobility and passing accuracy with a double threat depending on how the DB(s) reacts on a play,

- The more time that the play develops without pressure to the QB the more the offense advantage (receiver gets open, or the QB has more running room)

3. Lastly we add in the more athletic TE who has both hands and size advantage over LBs.

All of this said ... I believe this will become the norm and that defenses will adapt to it in some way. Best defense is a bad ass DL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.