HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tanny vs Peyton Manning
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tanny vs Peyton Manning
Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 13, 2012 05:52AM

Here are the stats for Mannin's rookie season beside Tanny's 13 games so far.

Peyton Tanny

Games 16 13
Att 575 396
Comp 326 227
Pct 56.7 57.3
Att/G 35.9 30.5
Yds 3,739 2,709
Avg 6.5 6.8
Yds/G 233.7 208.4
TD 26 8
TD% 4.5 2.0
Int 28 12
Int% 4.9 3.0
Lng 78T 80T
20+ 42 32
40+ 8 3
Sck 22 25
SckY 109 186
Rate 71.2 72.5

Also...in his rookie year Peyton rushed for zero TD's...Tannehill rushed for 2

Manning played with Marshall Faulk ( 5th yr), Marvin Harrison(3rd yr), Jerome Pathon(rookie), Ken Dilger TE (4th yr), Marcus Pollard (4th yr).

In 1998 Jim Mora ( Had HC experience with the Saints) too over as the the new HC who replaced Lindy Infante.

Tom Moore ( a very experienced Coach took over the OC job which he held for 10 years - essentially teaching Manning everything he knows).

When I look at those numbers...and factor in the fact that each of those skill players is better than their Dolphin counterpart...and I think of the long balls that were dropped or shoulda been caught...plus the ones where the WR was a step too slow

I am excited for the nest few years.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tanny vs Peyton Manning
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: December 13, 2012 06:19AM

Manning also only had 1 4th qtr comeback his rookie year despite having two hall of famers helping him out.

Of course, as crowder and the anti-Tannehill crowd will point out, just because manning made the leap to superstar from so-so rookie doesn't mean Tannehill will.

What they won't acknowledge is the fact that just because Tannehill isn't smashing records as a rookie doesn't mean he won't get better with experience and more supporting talent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2012 02:36PM by THE Truth.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 06:41AM

Tannehill and mannings numbers are very much alike. And tannehill still has 3 more games remaining so im hoping he will throw at least 4 more tds. Maybe more. And pass for more than 3000 yards.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 13, 2012 06:46AM

I don't think the numbers are alike. Manning threw a lot more TD's and int's.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: December 13, 2012 06:48AM

Like i said 3 more games left.

Date: December 13, 2012 06:50AM

yeah RT only needs to average 5 TD's a game.

.....................................................................................

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 06:53AM

Date: December 13, 2012 07:15AM

Panning also failed to lead his team to victories in "one-score" losses on 9 different occasions. We should have all known he would suck forever after that!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 07:22AM

Comparing their second season numbers will tell us a whole lot more than the rookie season numbers.

Date: December 13, 2012 08:04AM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course as crowder and the anti-Tannehill crowd
> will point out, just because manning made the leap
> to superstar from so-so rookie doesn't mean
> Tannehill will.
>
> ah
>
> so you saying it means he will

Ahhh...no.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:30AM

While it is interesting to look at statistical data, there are far too many unknowns and variables that can't be compared. Only actual play will show if any rookie QB is going to become that vary rare super star.

Probably the top 3 super star QBs playing in the league right now are:

Brady, P. Manning and Brees (in this order) followed by-- E. Manning, Roethlisberger, and Rivers--at the next level.

It drops off considerably after that IMO.

There is no way that we can predict whether RT will succeed Marino as the Dolphins' franchise QB. Let's all hope that he's that guy until proven otherwise. smiling smiley

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:32AM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 13, 2012 08:37AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> Tannehill will.
>
> ah
>
> so you saying it means he will

That's what I like! Get Feisty with the guy who so humbly calls himself THE Truth. (notice how he capitalizes "the"winking smiley.

Date: December 13, 2012 08:37AM

Yes...to Marvin Harrison, Marshall Faulk, Marcus Pollard and Terrence Small.

Give Tannehill any 1 of those and his numbers go up too.

Give Tannehill 2 of them and they go even higher.

Manning had them...Tanny didn't.

Date: December 13, 2012 08:51AM

This is true...but... we can see that Peyton Manning, despite having some elite players playing with did not play as well as he later did?

And we see that Tannehill has produced similar numbers with less talented players around him?

I realize that there is no guarantee that Tannehill's production will improve to the same extent that Manning's did. No one can know or extrapolate that information accurately.

I think it is only logical that if Tannehill is afforded the opportunity to play with 1 or 2 playmakers ( Pro-bowl? let alone HOF) that his production will improve. To what extent? I don't know.

BUT...to me it is almost comical that some people on this forum will agree that we need to upgrade our WR & TE...and then dismiss the idea that Tannehill lacks the support cast to be truly effective.

Either Tanny isn't good enough and we need to find a QB to get the ball to our 'talented skill players'or we need to get the talented skill players to get the most out of our QB. Or it's both....which has been the case for a very long time.

When Tannehill gets to play with a legit #1 WR, and we have Bush signed up or adequately replaced...then we will see how effective he can be.

Date: December 13, 2012 08:59AM

Date: December 13, 2012 09:38AM

What does RG3, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson have that RT doesn't?

RG3: running game, Deep threats/playmakers
Luck: elite WR, deep threats/playmakers
Wilson: running game, deep threats/playmakers

Date: December 13, 2012 10:54AM

Eesti manning had more TDs and MOre ints than tannehill other than that their stats were about the same....

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 13, 2012 11:30AM

Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 13, 2012 12:13PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Tannehill and mannings numbers are very much
> alike...

Well lets not get carried away, Manning set five different NFL rookie passing records including most touchdown passes in a season, and was named to the NFL All-Rookie First Team.

This thread may be the death knell for Tanne. I remember when folks started posting favorable comparisons of Henne and Manning, Marino, etc, etc. smiling bouncing smiley

To me the red flag in Tanne's game as far as being an 'elite' QB is that he has not shown much of an intermediate/long range game. Only 22% of his completions have been THROWN for more than TEN yards (not completion yardage but THROWN yardage). He has only completed 11 passes THROWN longer than 20 yards. Luck is throwing 33% of his completions for more than 10 yards and has 26 thrown over 20. Now no doubt Tanne has a strong enough arm so what's the issue? Receivers? Play calling? Maybe and probably but I have began to suspect accuracy watching the last few games and I hope I'm wrong because this, IMO, is an inherent thing that's not very 'teachable'.

THAT is the reason I have kind of soured on Tanne's ability to be an 'elite' QB. Still, even now, he's probably the best overall we've had in a WHILE. I just want to see better after waiting almost 30 years for us to take a QB in the first round.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 01:09PM

eesti Wrote:
> What does RG3, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson have
> that RT doesn't?
>
> RG3: running game, Deep threats/playmakers
> Luck: elite WR, deep threats/playmakers
> Wilson: running game, deep threats/playmakers

Wilson, RG3, and Luck elevate the play of those around him. None of those teams had what anyone would consider "playmakers" last year and except for maybe TY Hilton and Pierre Garcon (who was hurt most of this year), the offenses have returned pretty much the same in terms of skill players. So I am not buying that it is the talent around those 3 that made them so good and is what is holding RT back. Marino made players like Oronde Gadsen look like stars. Who are russel wilson's WRs, Golden Tate? Please. Reggie Wayne played like garbage last year when he had Curtis Painter throwing to him, now he is great again, coincidence?

So many excuses. I am not saying RT isn't going to be a good player, but to say the difference between him and Luck, RG3 and wilson is just the talent around them is BS

Posted by: angryseas2000 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 01:31PM

Big nasty pretty much said anything i would have said...mentioning RT next to marino or manning is so beyond reasonable expectations it isnt worth discussing. If one were to say i see potential and have outside hope then yes that is my somewhat fleeting feeling towards our qb position at this point nothing more nothing less.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 02:35PM

I think 26 TD's verse 8 is quite a difference. If RT scored 26 TD's this year we might be undefeated... Only 3 QB's in the history of the league have scored 20+ TD's in their first 2 years. Dan Marino, Peyton Manning and now Andy Dalton... Don't discredit the amount of TD's a Qb is able to score.. That ultimately is why he is successful...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: December 13, 2012 02:36PM

jsm08 Wrote:
> Tannehill will.
>
> Ahhh...no
>
> you just implied it.
>
> and just because mannind did make that leap
> doesn't mean tannehill will. it doesn't take a
> "detractor" to come to that conclusion. just
> common sense.

I see the confusion...I left out a comma in the first part.

I was actually agreeing with them that just because Manning made that leap doesn't mean that Tannehill will...and pointing out that it doesn't mean he won't either.

I'll fix that first post for you. My bad.

Date: December 13, 2012 02:37PM

I don't care what you say. I've been watching NFL football since a grade schooler in 1958. I've been watching Miami Dolphin football since the fall of 1967. Put a good team (all aspects, defense, blocking, running and receiving) around Tannehill and we are unstoppable. To me he combines the best virtues of RGIII, Russell Wilson and the brains of Luck.

He just has no help.

All this negative talk has to do with disappointment on the won-lost record which has more to do with Coach Philbin, Sherman and the playcalling throwing away about 4 close games in the closing minutes than anything. We win those games and are 9-4 and the same people now beginning to let doubt creep into their minds would be praising Tannehill.

But even though I didn't want to draft Tannehill, I am consistent about one thing, I predicted that the "Quarterback is the only player" people would abandon Tannehill if he did not show good results immediately.

I could lay every one of our losses on another element of the team and with more credibility than blaming Tannehill for not pulling us out of the mess that the coaching, special teams, and defense put us into.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 02:58PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
To me he
> combines the best virtues of RGIII, Russell Wilson
> and the brains of Luck.
>

wow, that's pretty amazing. he's the best QB in history in that case.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 13, 2012 03:08PM

THE Truth Wrote:
> Of course, as crowder and the anti-Tannehill crowd
> Tannehill will.
>
Actually, the anti-Tannehill crowd is already calling Tanny a bust.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 13, 2012 03:50PM

Some of the problems are rookie mistakes in throwing and timing; another but larger aspect is the talent around RT. It is a combination of both. Time will improve rookie errors, but only upgrades in talent (running routes, catching, catching in traffic, YAC) around him will make the two shine.

Posted by: angryseas2000 ()
Date: December 13, 2012 03:56PM

While im still hopeful, his last play agaisnt the 49ers left alot to be desired 4th down end of game and he essentially threw the ball away as i recall. An interception into tight coverage woudl have been fine at that point but throw it away? I would like to se a bit more fire and a few strong finishes here at the end of the season to feel better about next year IMO.

Date: December 13, 2012 03:57PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What does RG3, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson
> have
> > that RT doesn't?
> >
> > RG3: running game, Deep threats/playmakers
> > Luck: elite WR, deep threats/playmakers
> > Wilson: running game, deep threats/playmakers
>
>
> Wilson, RG3, and Luck elevate the play of those
> around him. None of those teams had what anyone
> would consider "playmakers" last year and except
> for maybe TY Hilton and Pierre Garcon (who was
> hurt most of this year), the offenses have
> returned pretty much the same in terms of skill
> players. So I am not buying that it is the talent
> around those 3 that made them so good and is what
> is holding RT back. Marino made players like
> Oronde Gadsen look like stars. Who are russel
> wilson's WRs, Golden Tate? Please. Reggie Wayne
> played like garbage last year when he had Curtis
> Painter throwing to him, now he is great again,
> coincidence?
>
> So many excuses. I am not saying RT isn't going to
> be a good player, but to say the difference
> between him and Luck, RG3 and wilson is just the
> talent around them is BS

Yes. Let's just ignore these facts....

RG3 has a running back on pace for over 1500 yards

Wilson has a running back on pace for over 1500 yards.

Just one WR from each of those teams has more TD's than all of our WR's combined.

All those teams struggled until other players stepped up and made plays.

Reggie Wayne had 960 yards in 2011 while playing with two terrible 3rd string QB's. That is not garbage.

Marino did not make Gadsden a star. Gadsden's acrobatic catches made him a fan favorite. Many times with poorly thrown balls. He NEVER had a 1k yard season. Not even with Marino. He only played with Marino for 2 years.

Russell Wilson has another WR that gets separation...Sydney Rice. They may not be elite but they make the field bigger for defenses to defend. a 46 and a 31 yard TD that I know of...both have 7 td's apiece.

RG3 and Wilson are running QB's that force teams to designate a spy and use one less in coverage.

Those offenses did not return the same players. They all lost key pieces and replaced them. (See Alfred Morris)

Those QB's have made the players around them better. Was and Sea lineman don't have to worry about getting beat bc the QB's will take off and run half the time.

Was and Indy are getting immediate returns from their rookie offensive talent outside of the QB. Our only key offensive player is a struggling OT.

RT has made the players around him better. Career highs for the top two WR's.

I never said RT doesn't still need work. If you read above I said he needs reps this year.

If anyone thinks the talent level on our team doesn't limit our QB you are not looking at the big picture.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.