HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Next Year
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Next Year
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 11, 2012 11:58AM

The fins have no shot at the playoffs. Most of us on this board (IMO) would then turn to some of the younger players and get them on the field to see if they have anything to offer for next season. Philbin, supposedly, isn't thinking like that.

He is going to continue playing his starters, he says, and not be concerned with the guys who have not been playing.

I realize he still wants to win, and that is understandable, but....

He has got to know what he has on the roster. That means getting Miller more carries, finding out what Egnew can bring, etc.....

On Egnew, Sherman has said that at times, Egnew shows greatness, but basically is not consistent. Well, if a guy has greatness in him, why wouldn't he get activated and get on the field?

I like Philbin and I like a lot of the things he has done, but this one I can't agree with.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Next Year
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 11, 2012 12:25PM

Lookit. The reason Hooligan laughingly called me the Greatest Dolphin fan of the Century was that even last week, I was busy talking optimism of making the playoffs. But that was before last week's loss that practically speaking ruined any opportunity for us to get into the playoffs.

Why do I bring that up?

To say that we are not looking at the playoffs and the question is how do we utilize the rest of the season.

To me, the ONLY sensible approach is to use the rest of the season like pre-season.

BUT THINK ABOUT IT. It is a BETTER opportunity than even pre-season.

In pre-season, your opponents are playing their scrubs as well.

Here, granted that we'll be playing Buff and Jax who are equally out of the playoffs and NE on the last game of the season and they might rest their players, but I don't see any reason why Philbin would try to play his regulars in those games and say "to hell with seeing what the bench players can do."

To me, that is even more indefensible than the things that even I have been accusing him of with playcalling.

Posted by: angryseas2000 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 02:41PM

Well to be fair to philbin here we are not mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs and i would be disapointed in any coach that went with what you are suggesting before we are. I know we are realistically out but i certainly dont want my head coach thinking like this at least not just yet.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: December 11, 2012 03:06PM

I agree Angryseas.

This shouldn't really be an issue until we are officially out of the playoffs.

Until then, its Philbin's job to focus on winning this week.

Its Ireland's job to think long term.

At some point in the next week or two when we are officially eliminated, he should talk to coach about test driving Egnew and Miller over the last game or two.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: December 11, 2012 03:37PM

angryseas2000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well to be fair to philbin here we are not
> mathmatically eliminated from the playoffs and i
> would be disapointed in any coach that went with
> what you are suggesting before we are. I know we
> are realistically out but i certainly dont want my
> head coach thinking like this at least not just
> yet.

smileys with beer

Agree. It ain't over until it is over. As long as we've got a chance, we need to play to win.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Date: December 11, 2012 04:01PM

Come on. It's over.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 04:10PM

Its over tank it , play matthews, Miller & Egnew and see what we have

Posted by: angryseas2000 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 04:11PM

Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is. BUt seriously as i said i know realistically we are out of it but do you really want this mentality out of your head coach. I can see once we are truly out bu tup until then i cant see any head coach looking towards next year and beign a head coach that woudl last very long in the nfl.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: December 11, 2012 04:13PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Come on. It's over.

Some fan you are.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Posted by: realist ()
Date: December 11, 2012 04:36PM

I don't want the Head Coach to make public statements that will cause people to lose faith. he can't say...yes we are using the next 3 games as developmental games.

That said, he is already getting Miller in the game plan. Rashard Matthews and Moore are getting more looks.

I hope they activate Egnew, but they will spin it that he worked hard in practice and earned the playing time.

I don't want a coach that gives up...but....I do want a coach that recognizes when a battle has been lost, and devises a plan to win the war.

In Philbin's case...he is a rookie HC, he will be forgiven if we finish 5-11...he will not get fired if we lose out. I am not saying tank the games....I am saying try to win them with the guys that we think will be Dolphins in 2013.

I do not see the value of a single victory won with guys that will be leaving if it means denying valuable development opportunities to the young guys.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 05:25PM

Don't think for a minute the colts didn't tank it for luck last year

Do you think one player makes that much of a difference?

Posted by: chatafkup ()
Date: December 11, 2012 07:19PM

DolfanKing Wrote:
> ChyrenB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Come on. It's over.
>
>
> Some fan you are.

Look in the f'ing mirror Dolfanqueen and ask yourself the same question.

Date: December 11, 2012 07:19PM

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 12, 2012 04:29AM

it's the pros. you earn playing time. if these guys were good enough the'd be in the games.

once miller learns how to block he'll get more time. once egnew quits being a woman he'll see the field.

seriously, how good can matthews be? we have one of the worst wr units in the league and this guy gets a few snaps a game.

you set a bad precedent if you cave on everything you've stood for all year and let these guys play just because. they have to earn it. it will make them better in the long run.

Date: December 12, 2012 04:31AM

this ain't pop warner where there's a mandatory play count

Date: December 12, 2012 04:35AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> but you have to be "realist"ic.

thumbs up

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 12, 2012 05:26AM

Realist wrote, in part:

"I don't want a coach that gives up...but....I do want a coach that recognizes when a battle has been lost, and devises a plan to win the war."

---
Sounds like my kind of words. This is "fire and fall back time" to reference another military words.

Of the 3 remaining games, I submit we will lose to NE (again); have a shot at beating the Bills (50/50), and; a good chance at out scoring the really hapless JAGS for a win. We should go into each game fully prepared, but prepared should now include a balanced mixture of veterans and hopefuls. So, I want to see Egnew, Marlon Moore, Rishard Matthews play more downs as part of the receiving corps. Also, put Reggie into the slot; put Clay, Miller and Thigpen into the backfield as part of the running game, run FB plays with Lane up the middle for 3 yard gains on first down....In other words (if other words are needed) mix it up and spread the ball around.

Lane may be more of a player than is taken for.

In actuality, the season was an experiment for players and coaching staff. Much needs to be done to improve in every facet of the game. So, with a sterling record of 5-8 today, perhaps we end the season with a 6-10 w/l record. Not the end of the world. Really, the base line for this coaching administration to improve upon.

We definitely need to improve on the playing level with better more talented personnel. So, if the front office gives a crap, and I'm sure they really do, FA is a way to make upgrades based on past performances of those free agents. The draft is for the future, more or less. We need to draft offensive and defensive playmakers. All fans know this and I'll guess that many current Dolphins players will be looking for other work in 5-6 months.

Date: December 12, 2012 05:49AM

True but...

In the pros...coaches stick with guys that they went out on a limb for...so they don't have to say they were wrong.

...Joey Porter refused to leave the field so Cameron Wake could get the playing time he earned...and the coaches allowed it.

...Philbin sat Bush for the fumble and gave playing time to the next guy on the depth chart.

So...if Fasano is playing 'alright', but not 'lights out'...putting Egnew in is not a bad precedent...it is based on looking at all options.

I have been coaching high school ball for over 25 years...and I will be the first to admit that I have 'missed' on my evaluations...sticking with a guy who was 'good' and finding out after injury forced my hand...that the back-up was better. When I have the luxury of a bye week I try to give the subs a closer look...and the starters know...that I like to get the young guys to see what they've got. NFL coaches can't just play guys based on seniority or contract salary...they need to be creative, innovative, and willing to take chances as well.

The guys who are sticking around need to 'buy in' to the fact that we are loading up and preparing for next year...the guys who are not going to be on the roster? I don't care what they think.

If I was the Head Coach and I started giving playing time to young guys...and a Seasoned Veteran came up to me and voiced concerns ...I would remind them that if the 'starters' had gotten the job done with the playing time they already were given...that we would be in the play-off hunt and their playing time would be protected. Since they didn't...it isn't.

Date: December 12, 2012 05:55AM

very well said!

I like the idea of giving other backs a chance to run the ball. I would like to see more spread formations and let Tannehill practice his reads, timing throws, and blitz adjustments.

I would also say let him audible again.

But as we've all said...devise a game plan designed to win...just with more of the roster involved.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: December 12, 2012 06:14AM

Defenses have figured out that all they need to do is shut down the area of the field from the LOS and back 25 yards. Like Mayock said, it's like we are playing in the red zone from our own territory.

I want to see the coaches counter this and be creative with some different looks and mismatches.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: December 12, 2012 06:22AM

Date: December 12, 2012 06:35AM

realist Wrote:
> very well said!
>
> I like the idea of giving other backs a chance to
> run the ball. I would like to see more spread
> formations and let Tannehill practice his reads,
> timing throws, and blitz adjustments.
>
> I would also say let him audible again.
>
> But as we've all said...devise a game plan
> designed to win...just with more of the roster
> involved.

Im pretty sure he still has the ability to audible realist.

Read something yesterday where one of the local writers said he audible to the corner rout to fasano on hat 4th an goal TD pass out of the qb draw that was originally called.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 12, 2012 07:34AM

Egnew and Miller haven't been playing because of their inability to block, playing them now and getting Tannehill killed makes zero sense, you only give them more playing time when they're ready.

Date: December 12, 2012 07:42AM

Miller did play vs the 49ers and I believe I read where he missed a blitz pickup that resulted in a sack of RT.

.....................................................................................

Date: December 12, 2012 08:01AM

Yeah, I hadn't paid attention to it...but then someone said he wasn't anymore? Come to think of it...may have been Bills talk radio talking about Tannehill being able and Fitzpatrick not?

Date: December 12, 2012 08:25AM

Date: December 12, 2012 08:27AM

Last week they ran empty backfield several times with a variety of guys playing, Matthews, Moore, Clay,...putting Egnew on the field split out without any blocking responsibilities does not put Tannehill at any more risk than they have already done.

Date: December 12, 2012 08:28AM

I just hope Egnew (and Ireland) doesn't limit us or restrict us from getting a top TE next year.

Date: December 12, 2012 08:45AM

realist Wrote:
> Last week they ran empty backfield several times
> with a variety of guys playing, Matthews, Moore,
> Clay,...putting Egnew on the field split out
> without any blocking responsibilities does not put
> Tannehill at any more risk than they have already
> done.

In theory that makes perfect sense.

In practice, if you want to make him active for the sole purpose of using him in a handful of 5 WR sets then you have to deactivate someone...most likely someone who contributes on special team. Since egnew doesn't play special teams that could present a problem.

Any idea who you'd sit to get him out there for a few plays a week?

Date: December 12, 2012 08:48AM

eesti Wrote:
> I just hope Egnew (and Ireland) doesn't limit us
> or restrict us from getting a top TE next year.

I think we will add another TE in the draft. Possibly one in free agency if we let fasano walk.

I think clay will get moved to FB and lane will get the axe.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.