HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The Refs
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The Refs
Posted by: KB ()
Date: December 10, 2012 06:49AM

Call me a whiner if you will. I was just re-watching the game. That 4th and 1 PI call was an INCREDIBLY bad call that changed the whole game keeping the 49'ers go-ahead-score-drive alive instead of giving us the ball in great field position with a chance for the same. Just a POOR, POOR call that influenced the game in a BIG way.

It's also hard not to notice the copious amount of holding that was going on whenever Kapernick left the pocket...never called.

No way those replacement refs were any worse, NO WAY. They just didn't know to give all the calls to the division leading team with the new media darling QB like the guys yesterday did. I'm SO SICK of being on the wrong end of this kind of stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Refs
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: December 10, 2012 07:18AM

I noticed some bad calls (or non-calls) also, but we're biased, i'm sure the 49er fans could say the same thing.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 10, 2012 07:22AM

The PI call was a terrible call plain and simple. The quality of the officiating is at an all time low. Pass interference is the most inconsistently called penalty there is. What is interference one week isn't the next and vice versa. Hell, it's inconsistent from call to call i the same game. It's to the point that much of the enjoyment of watching football is taken away. At least the replacement refs had an excuse for being incompetent.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 10, 2012 10:16AM

I agree KB on the replacement refs being no worse. They were just plain bad sometimes but never favored either side whether home team or Patriots or whatever.

I also agree on your main point about that call. It just seems that when the home team receiver fails to catch a ball that hits him in the hands and there is ANY CONTACT between he and the receiver, these refs are going to automatically call interference.

I think it's their "default" position. It's like they would rather be blamed for a "bad call" than a "bad no call" particularly when the home team is on offense. And since there is contact, you can always try to argue that it was the defense interfering instead of the normal jockeying between receiver and defender.

I remember a play in the last three games when our defender got called for interference when he never touched the receiver with his hands BUT TO THE CONTRARY, the receiver saw that it was going to be an obvious interception because the throw was to the inside instead of the outside where the receiver was positioned and he started pulling the receiver like it was a wrestling match and the DUMB referee called defensive pass interference.

Date: December 10, 2012 10:16AM

They really ought to make it reviewable.

Date: December 10, 2012 10:28AM

That shove on Igcognito was a Joke. The NFL needs to follow that up with a nice $5000 fine.

Date: December 10, 2012 10:35AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That shove on Igcognito was a Joke. The NFL needs
> to follow that up with a nice $5000 fine.

Smith is a p r i c k no doubt about that. Didn't Dierdorf start talking about Incognito being 'perennially on the list of dirtiest players' soon after. Or was it before? He needs to be sent out to pasture like Madden.

Date: December 10, 2012 10:51AM

LOL. I think the point the announcers were trying to make was that Igcognito (the ole ankle-biter) "probably" did something that was not seen for which that shove was "payback."

But that's life, the "second guy" always get caught, OR NOT AS IN THIS CASE.

Date: December 10, 2012 12:26PM

I think it's just Dierdorf being a tool. All those old players hate the Phins. Cause they used to get their asses kicked by us in the 70'ssmileys with beer

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 01:16AM

i agree about the replacements. with a little more experience they would have been fine but now you know why coaches like belichick we're going nuts every game.

texans/pats is a perfect example. ne scored on their first 3 drives. gruden was ripping the texans for not being able to get off the field on 3rd down. problem is they did 2 out of those 3 drives but the refs decided to extend them with a bogus defensive holding and pi call.

it's so predictable anymore. instead of 21-0 it's 7-0 and a totally different game.

no wonder belichik hated the replacements. they didn't show favoritism

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 06:50AM

randy moss was mugged all the way down the field and it wasn't called. the calls go both ways. we won the SEA game b/c of a very ticky tack call on roughing RT when he threw that pick in the end zone.
complaining about the refs when we lose by 10+ points just seems like sour milk

Date: December 11, 2012 07:05AM

it's like any sport. the stars and their teams get the benefit of the calls majority of the time.

just ask bird, magic, or mj.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: December 11, 2012 07:15AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> it's like any sport. the stars and their teams
> get the benefit of the calls majority of the
> time.
>
> just ask bird, magic, or mj.

Excellent point.

Teams and players earn the respect of officials and get calls because of it.

We've been so bad for so long we no longer get those "respect" calls.

Date: December 11, 2012 08:21AM

I'm sorry. I disagree. Everybody is supposed to do their job and do it right. That applies to refs as well. No body (good to separate that word) should get any "extra" for being good or any "takeaway" for being bad. It's one thing to be bad but worse to be unlawful.

Speaking of which, would you like a legal system that worked that way?????

Even moreso, would you like a medical system that worked that way????? Doctors or surgeons taking care with certain patients and being no so particular with other patients.

That's the way (referee calling as well) they run things in 3rd world countries.

Date: December 11, 2012 09:31AM

i don't think anyone is saying it should work that way. just that it does work that way.

Date: December 11, 2012 09:44AM

New England is getting the calls, that's for certain.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: December 11, 2012 09:56AM

do you think they won bc of the refs? the score was 42-14

Date: December 11, 2012 10:17AM

i don't but the pats are hard enough to stop as it is. i think it has to be demoralizing when you do stop them on 3rd down the refs extend the drive.

they scored on their 1st 3 possessions. 2 of those were after 3rd down bail out penalties. the complexion of the game changes if it's only 10-0.

no wonder belichick hated the replacement refs.

Date: December 11, 2012 10:33AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> do you think they won bc of the refs? the score
> was 42-14

That's harder to say than you think. As someone else pointed out in the Hoo-wah Patriots thread, those ref decisions were crucial calls on about three drives that EXTENDED those drives that led to touchdowns instead of punts, so take away 21 points and you're looking at 21-14 and a whole new ball game.

It's like the late game coaching decisions that I have been criticizing, who knows?

Tannehill is NOT SENT BACK TO PASS at midfield playing against the Arizona Cardinals while we're leading by 7 points with about 2 minutes left in the game and we run the clock out instead of him being sacked and fumbled and the Cards scoring taking us into overtime and winning.

Berk, I know your point is just that! This that was a close game whereas the Pats blew out the Texans but each crucial call leads to consequences add up three game sustaining penalty calls IN FAVOR OF THE PATRIOTS and combine them with two or three QUESTIONABLE PENALTIES ON THE TEXANS WHEN THEY ARE ON OFFENSE THAT took away first down conversions and make them punt.................................

and it's pretty easy to get to a blow out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.