HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Weak side DE
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Weak side DE
Posted by: JoeFootball ()
Date: December 31, 2014 05:55AM

Down year for Olivier Vernon. 6.5 sacks on the season and 1 sack over the last 6 games.

This is not going to cut it for the prime pass rush spot on the line. Especially when you play opposite Cam Wake.

Vernon was better than Wake vs the run but he really trailed off from the Denver game to the last game. Not sure if he was injured but I didn't hear anything and didn't see him on the injury report.

It's pretty pathetic that Jordan could not do any better. He really needs to move to LB'er next year if this is the kind of presence he brings off the edge.

Jordan claims that "I am a defensive end"...but I don't see much evidence to back him up.

I'm sure Vernon would do better with better play from the DT's but we need more competition here and no one has shown much more than flashes. Fede, Shelby, McCain, Jordan.....nobody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weak side DE
Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: December 31, 2014 06:38AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Down year for Olivier Vernon. 6.5 sacks on the
> season and 1 sack over the last 6 games.
>
> This is not going to cut it for the prime pass
> rush spot on the line. Especially when you play
> opposite Cam Wake.
>
> Vernon was better than Wake vs the run but he
> really trailed off from the Denver game to the
> last game. Not sure if he was injured but I didn't
> hear anything and didn't see him on the injury
> report.
>
> It's pretty pathetic that Jordan could not do any
> better. He really needs to move to LB'er next year
> if this is the kind of presence he brings off the
> edge.
>
> Jordan claims that "I am a defensive end"...but I
> don't see much evidence to back him up.
>
> I'm sure Vernon would do better with better play
> from the DT's but we need more competition here
> and no one has shown much more than flashes. Fede,
> Shelby, McCain, Jordan.....nobody.

Wholeheartedly agree.

This is why, even though it did't work out, the move to get Jordan was a no-brainer. You can just never have too many pass rushers.

We definitely need one more edge rusher. I wouldn't count on McCain, he's a project.

I'm not against drafting an edge rusher, but I'd prefer to sign a solid guy in FA. In fact, I'd like to address all of my major defensive issues in FA and focus the draft on offense.

Date: December 31, 2014 07:57AM

I would prefer a mixed approach. Drafting all D puts too much youth on one side.

DE's are expensive on the open market.

It just amazes me that they have not been able to get Jordan further along. I think better DT play will elevate our pass rushers.

We just have so many needs that now having to worry about a pass rusher (with all we have invested) really blows. Ireland still screwing us!

Top paid players in the NFL are QB, WR, DE & OT. I think you have to draft those guys (as a rule of thumb).

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 31, 2014 10:03AM

i think a new DC moves them around and utilizes his athletes more. as it is now they line up on the edge and rush. no stunts, no switching sides, no movement. line up and go.

i'd rather be aggressive and get beat than methodically getting beaten down the field.

McCain and Tripp were injured most of the year. I hope they have strong offseasons and contribute next year.

We can't solve all of our problems in FA. We need to start developing the talent we draft.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 31, 2014 11:23AM

THE Truth Wrote: I wouldn't count on McCain, he's a project.

McCain is PRECISELY the type of talent (albeit perhaps slightly "raw" but obviously filled with passion and a mighty fine mean streak) that a great D coach like Rex Ryan would turn in a MONSTER!

Guaran-FOCKING-teed!

That, and if Jordon is ever going to be a legit disruptor, Ryan would find a way to make that happen. And by the way, OV would THRIVE in Ryan's "system" where he knows how to use his chess pieces to disrupt the opponents king.

Add a major dominate athlete at LB (I'm VERY high on Jenkins -- who would also be a MONSTER under Ryan) and our D would be top 5 under Ryan.

But of course a horse is a horse of course or coarse -- and the horses ASS is the owner of this team.

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: January 06, 2015 06:56AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> It's pretty pathetic that Jordan could not do any
> better. He really needs to move to LB'er next year
> if this is the kind of presence he brings off the
> edge.
>
> Jordan claims that "I am a defensive end"...but I
> don't see much evidence to back him up.

People have been asking me if I think the Dolphins should move Jordan to LB. My response is that I think the blueprint for how to use Jordan is AJ Duhe and, later in his career, Jason Taylor.

Joe Philbin ought to pick Shula's brains on this, and also watch 2005-6 game film of Taylor when he won NFL DPOY honors. The only remaining question is whether or not Jordan is committed to the work of doing it.

Date: January 06, 2015 07:18AM

That means switching to a 3-4.

Duhe played INSIDE LB in a 3-4. JT played OLB in a 3-4 the year he won DROY.

Jordan is not an ILB.

Posted by: cedaphins ()
Date: January 06, 2015 09:50AM

Play Jordan at TE He played there before. Then bring him on defense to guard Gronk type TE

Posted by: cshashaty ()
Date: January 06, 2015 10:33AM

JoeFootball Wrote:
> That means switching to a 3-4.
>
> Duhe played INSIDE LB in a 3-4. JT played OLB in a
> 3-4 the year he won DROY.
>
> Jordan is not an ILB.

Yes I know he isn't an ILB. The point is that both guys could drop into coverage or come off the edge in the traditional "hybrid" role. and the Dolphins don't have to switch to a traditional 3-4 to make this work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.