HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins have the highest decline in attendance over past ten year
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Dolphins have the highest decline in attendance over past ten year
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 30, 2012 10:31AM

And i add.........

There might be more fans of other teams here in florida than phin fans.

Everyone likes to migrate to the sunny beaches. A lot of people have.

The traffic here is insane.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 30, 2012 10:38AM

there have been times when i invited 6 or 7 friends to my house to watch a game..............and except me all of them are fans of NE and the jets.

They are friends from work and friends from my childhood or whatever but its really not too much fun on my part....especially when we play the jets or NE.

They are good friends.........but ive stopped those reunions for a while...............not much fun especially when the phins start struggling.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: November 30, 2012 03:28PM

It is simple, they raised prices to high to jack the potential income for the sale, then lost a lot of the season ticket holders. With a down economy and mediocre product it is a horrible business plan to lease back up.. Hence the problem. Even with them Dropping prices by 25%, it is not enough. A better product is all that will save them.. South floridians are not going to be overcharged to invest in a mediocre product in a lackluster economy... South Florida is not old like it use to be, it is one of the youngest hippest areas in the entire country...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 30, 2012 04:01PM

So what you're saying is that the local fan base is full of a bunch of partying transplants who will only go the games if the team is winning? You're right, I'm sorry when I said earlier that the local fan base sucks, what was I thinking................

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: November 30, 2012 04:44PM

Crowder is right about one thing...the only thing that will fill that stadium with dolphins fans again is a winning team. S. Florida is no different than any other city who's fans have reached their breaking point after a decade of futility.

(Sorry crowder, until otherwise informed I'm going to assume its ok to respond to you, at least when I agree with something you said.)

Date: November 30, 2012 05:49PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW i agree the seats are way too far from the
> field. Ive been there many times. You better have
> 20-20 for you to remotely enjoy the game.

Both The NY Jets and the NY Giants Play in New Jersey since the 80's. So I guess the Dolphins could still be called Miami and move to the center of the state. I dunno. Depends on the deal that Ross makes. And that IS something he is actually pretty damn good at.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 01, 2012 07:06AM

Date: December 01, 2012 08:14AM

There are 2 other teams in northern parts of Florida, Tampa and Jacksonville, both of them have worse attendance problems then Miami... South Florida has the disposal income to support the team, Miami Heat sell out every game.. As Truth and I agree on, the product is the problem...
Also one of the advantages of season tickets, is the playoff tix, without playoff tickets, the season ticket holder doesn't have a great advantage over the guy on stubhub who can buy the exact same tickets for half the price the team is charging its most loyal fans for the same seat...Why overpay?

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2012 08:16AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 01, 2012 08:45AM

I'm not from Florida and have never lived there. I've been to two games in Miami and a few more when they're on the road. When I compare the TV product to the live product (wherever I watch it) there's just no comparison in my mind.

When I delay the start of my viewing while recording it on the DVR, I can watch games in about 2 hours without commercials and halftime (have to keep myself from seeing any sort of update before I start watching). And, I never miss a play for a bathroom break.

I feel like I have the best seat in the house.

My cost per game is low, and there's not an extreme surcharge on any concessions.

Last but certainly not least in my mind (and I know all of this is subjective), I can watch with my kids without worrying that they'll be bombarded with the kind of junk that seems to naturally come from the game day environment. I took my son to a game with me in DC where I wore my Marino jersey, and he asked my brother to buy him a Skins jersey because he was sort of shocked and scared by the drunken taunting I got there. No worries, he's a Phinphan now, but he didn't want to be that day. Again, it's purely personal, but the game day environment on the whole isn't really all that appealing to me when I value passing on my love of football and the Phins to my son. I'm not asking anyone to change their behavior...just sharing my opinion.

Date: December 01, 2012 09:44AM

JC Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > JC Wrote:
> > >
> > > That's exactly how I see it. We have tons
> of
> > > fans....just not enough where the team is
> > located,
> > > to fill the stadium.
> >
> > Thats it exactly. Florida is a weird place.
> Most
> > Original Floridians I know all leave in the
> > Northern part of the state now.
>
>
> I am a native Floridian and now personally live in
> the northern part of the Country. In Patsies
> territory. Yes I know a lot of people I grew up
> with who now live in Orlando/Ocala/Jax as well as
> all up the coast.
>
> As for moving the stadium to another part of the
> state...well, that would work for a little while I
> suppose. But I'm convinced that many or most
> Dolfans who are native Miamians and currently live
> in other parts of Florida will move AGAIN within
> 10 years, as soon as that part of Florida gets
> screwed up their life situation calls on them to
> relocate again. The entire state of Florida is
> largely transient, and moving the stadium to chase
> the fans would only be a temporary solution, IMO.
>
>
> I'm not saying I have a better idea,
> unfortunately. My first thought was for the Team
> to put travel packages together that include game
> tickets, for out of town fans to take in a game.
> HOWEVER we all know how that would end
> up--encouraging more fans of visiting teams to
> descend upon our stadium.

Well you certainly have experience with what I'm talking about. But I believe with what we know now , they can choose an area with more access to roads, actually design the area to suit there needs/parking. Maybe add an area like Disney has to park and then shuttle you over on a Monarail. Design the Stadium for the best FOOTBALL experience. Put the stands right up against the feild. Add a retractable roof. get the state involved as a Tourist location .It could be a great thing for the state as well as the Dolphins and the fans.

Date: December 01, 2012 10:50AM

Treasure, I like your ideas, you should be a developer..As far as state or city/county money, The Marlins just abused the Miami tax payers, so I have a feeling that might be a sore subject for a while..

Nietzsche

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 01, 2012 12:21PM

I haven't been to a Dolphins game is years. There was a time when we had season tickets and I would share them with the people at my office--before my military service. During military service, I wasn't around to go, but watched games I could catch on TV. I read newspaper accounts...some were very short. After my retirement from the AF, I returned home to South Florida and was thrilled that once again, I could catch the Dolphins on Sunday (Monday night). However, the Dolphins weren't very good. I had never been to Joe Robbie Stadium, but did get a letter from the front office after it was built that caught up with me in Alaska. Regretfully, season tickets was out of the question. I returned to visit a few time during the summer and caught a couple of Marlins games. Not really impressed with the stadium; heck I didn't think much of the OB either come to think of it.

Joe Robbie Stadium is 30 minutes from my house today. Yet, I have no interest in actually going to the stadium to be part of the crowd routing (and sometime booing) the Dolphins.

The Marlins games I attended was disappointing. I found people in the stands to be too involved with one another, didn't have much interest in the game, go in the way of my view, where quite inconsiderate as I was interested in the game being played. It was a terrible experience.

Most of the games I attended at the OB pre Joe Robbie Stadium, I found the crowds to be into the game. Notice the word cord. I've been to the OB when it was filled to capacity, filled to near capacity, and in the earliest years, almost nobody home. Sadly, the cycle of attendance is heading to "almost noby home." The experience today, because of the lousy play and poor record overall and at the stadium has to be similar to the experience one has during Thanksgiving week at the air terminal trying to go from one city to another--a lousy one.

The expense of attending a game is high; but probably not higher then Mile High Stadium, Heinz Field, FedEX Field. Those stadiums are filled most of the time. They have more loyal fans, I'm afraid. They also have inclement weather that seems to get people excited to something fun. Down here, there are distractions--nice weather trumps watching a mediocre team lose at home.

If ticket cost were less, and concessions weren't brutal on your wallet, and of course we had excitement on the field, maybe then more people would to to the stadium to see a game.

True there are Jets, Steelers, Giants and NE fans here. They root for their home team. However, there are 4 million people between Dade, Broward and PB Counties, certainly, there has to be 60 thousand that could come and root for the Dolphins on Sunday.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 01, 2012 01:04PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
>
>
>
> Well you certainly have experience with what I'm
> talking about. But I believe with what we know now
> , they can choose an area with more access to
> roads, actually design the area to suit there
> needs/parking. Maybe add an area like Disney has
> to park and then shuttle you over on a Monarail.
> Design the Stadium for the best FOOTBALL
> experience. Put the stands right up against the
> feild. Add a retractable roof. get the state
> involved as a Tourist location .It could be a
> great thing for the state as well as the Dolphins
> and the fans.

All of that could happen...except the monorail. Disney won't even build them for their own theme parks anymore (they only have them for the first two they built in Orlando--the second two have bus or boat access only).

If they can find a way to make money from it, they'd do it (but something tells me they'd move the Jax team there before the Phins)...It would provide instant guests for their hotels and parks.

Date: December 01, 2012 06:45PM

I was hoping The Jags and their new owner would move out west. That would really open up the Market for the Phins and a move to a more central location. Grab all the Northern fans as well. I might never even be able to see a game again. But it would be well worth it if they start winning again.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 02, 2012 03:44AM

SE Florida has the highest concentration of potential fans of any location in Florida. True, Orlando is more centrally located but, only has a population of about 250,000. Daytona and the beaches are over an hour drive away and again made up of the same type of transients that infest South Florida. A move out of the Dade Broward area to another part of Florida would make no sense whatsoever. Winning does.
I recall many years ago when the Florida Panthers were making their Stanley cup run, people who had never seen ice outside of a cocktail glass were all of a sudden, hockey fans. The stadium was packed as were the sports bars. The same thing will happen to the Dolphins with a few winning seasons in a row.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 04, 2012 03:33AM

The Miami Heat provides excitement. That is a contagious thing. The Dolphins are struggling to win a game and that provides little excitement for people to latch onto.

People are fans for the excitement it provides. South Florida has many things to offer people so if one thing is a bust, they go where there is fun and excitement. Put together a string of victories at the stadium so that the news is buzzing with success and more fans will jump on the band wagon. Wins = success. Wins make it exciting. People want to go to work on Monday buzzing with "did you see the game" talk. No need to move the team...that's just running from a problem and that's not winning enough games to make it exciting.

R. Griffin in DC has captivated that Northern VA, DC and Maryland vicinity with his athletic prowess and his personal charm. He's got commercials, he's on TV, he is making things happen. That town is alive like it used to be. His play is exciting. It's just a matter of time before the Skins become a good team again.

Let's go Dolphins--look at the formulas--see how it's done. Emulate.

LeBron, Bosh, Wade...the Heat's formula = winning = excitement.

Let's see some some innovative play calling--use the talent we have--unleash the legs of Tannehill and the catching ability of Bush. Thigpen returns--are exciting. Get him in the backfield too. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.