HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins have the highest decline in attendance over past ten year
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dolphins have the highest decline in attendance over past ten year
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 05:55AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dolphins have the highest decline in attendance over past ten year
Posted by: DarthHoodie ()
Date: November 29, 2012 06:05AM

Of course. No one wants to spend their Sunday watching mediocrity, with the exception of the die-hards. If the phins start putting together a few winning seasons in a row with a deep playoff run, this trend will reverse. It's up to the team and it's management to do this starting next season.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 06:10AM

The phins have been struggling for the last 15 years. No wonder.

I really do not mind as long as they televise the games...

I live about 5 blocks from the stadium....i went to my daughters house like at halftime....came back to my house when game ended and had to pass by the stadium and had to wait like two hours and a half to get to my house. Because of all the cars coming out of the stadium.

It about a 7 minute trip to my daughters house.

So much for poor attendance.

First and Last time i make a trip like that on game day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 06:11AM by samsam3738.

Date: November 29, 2012 06:26AM

Another thing....do you realize how much fun it will be to go to the stadium this coming sunday for instance..

1. Against NE

2. Gotta spend 100 both tickets for you and your wife...And dont take the kids please or else it way more...Grandkids too young anyways thank god.

3. 20 bucks for parking.

4. 35 bucks for two hotdogs, 2 cokes and some peanuts.

5. Fork over another 20 bucks for a hat your wife wants for a suveneir.

6. Maybe before halftime 2 beers one for you and the otherone for your wife...ok make that 4 beers....2 each......another 35 bucks.....EDIT...I meant to say 3 for me and 1 for my wife....just for the record.

ADD all that...$ 210 dollars down the drain...And we got a $ 2000 mortgage?

and im not done on top of that....

The game ends final score......NE 49 Phins 3 on a last second field goal by carpenter?

Entertaining isn't it?

GO PHINS.

PS. Im not getting off the bandwagon though. I bleed aqua and orange.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 06:50AM by samsam3738.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 29, 2012 06:40AM

That's because we actually USED TO BE a good team. Teams like Detroit have no where to go but up.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: November 29, 2012 07:01AM

6 out of the last 8 seasons we were BELOW .500

In 26 years under Shula we had only 2 season under .500

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 29, 2012 07:13AM

No offense to any of the local fans on this board, but the local fan base sucks, has for a very long time (since the Orange Bowl?), attend a road game and you'll usually see it crawling with aqua and orange jerseys. If they start winning consistently, i'm sure you'll see packed houses again.

Date: November 29, 2012 07:58AM

No offense taken....Thats how life if if you not put a great product on the field, people are not going to go to the stadium.

I went to a lot of games when dan played....i remember names like troy drayton gene atkins, webb sims, gadgen, mark higgs louis oliver.....jeff cross....tim ruddy, lamar thomas trace armstrong.....just of the top of my head......

.....i remember many good times including the shootout against new england when parcells was the coach of NE.....And the great dan and shula won that day........

it was like both team scored over 40 points......

I remember going to many NYJ games.....Buffalo ,colts when they were in our division......

Its just a different atmosphere at the stadium.

The good old days.

Date: November 29, 2012 09:03AM

The Only reason I go to the games at all anymore is the New Duffy's Bus agreement that Ross instituted when he bought the team. To his credit He has made it possible for Fans from North of the stadium come down to the games. I bought a 3 game package for myself and my oldest son for $400 . Bus picks me up at Duffy's at 8:30 in the AM on game day and we are at the stadium by 10:30. It includes a killer all you can eat Tailgate party and once and a while an old vetran team player. I ate with Orande Gadsen the day of the Rams game. I was given free tickets because of my 3 game purchase to 2 other additional games.

From what I see the city of Miami does not hold very many Dolphins fans. Most from the 70's and 80's have moved north or became jacksonville and Tampa fans. I can't really blame Ross for this. The economy has been really tough. And if your a fan, watching the Phins on TV can be more relaxing as well as cost efficent. There was a few times I dreaded getting up to meet the Bus at 8:30 and only went because my son loves it so.

At a few games , mostly the Jets and the Pats , the stadium is filled with many opposing team fans because so many Northeners(myself included) have moved down to Florida. I just happen to have been a Dolphins fan up in NYC too. Its a complex strange problem that Mr ross has inherited that is only compounded by the bad play of the past decade of Teams.

I seriously think there is only one solution. If Jacksonville were to leave to the west coast that would leave Miami and Tampa.

Miami could relocate to the center of the state. This stadium will be 25 yrs old this year. Its a nice stadium , but not designed as a pure football stadium. Fans sit far from the sidelines in a stadium designed for baseball as well.

So much land available in central florida. So many counties would Kill to have them and I'm sure one of them near Orlando would build the team a new stadium. 4 hours North would bring in a wealth of fans that have moved away from a city that has changed in culture over the last 30 yrs.

Just my $02. on the matter. Either that or Miami has to help build a better stadium. Offer Free Parking , make game day more affordable. I love the Duffy's bus system. But even that is tough because I have to spend 4 hours on a bus round trip its really a long day. My 61' TV and recliner is a much nicer way to spend a day off.

But this year I have really enjoyed it more then past. I really really like Ryan Tannihill. The Dolphins are headed in the right direction and maybe soon I won't even be able to afford Tickets because they will be in such demand. But I'll enjoy it for now.

Date: November 29, 2012 10:33AM

I am local fan base, who had season tickets my entire life orange bowl and JRS until 2007. In 2007, the Dolphins told me that in order to keep my seats that have been in my family since 1970 and transfered when JRS opened. THe price of each ticket renewal was $700 a ticket per game including all of the preseason games.. In 2006 I was paying 275 a ticket per game.. To more then double the price of my tickets while the team was not putting out a competitive team, rubbed me the wrong way... If that makes me part of a fan base that sucks, I think you have your facts mixed up.... I think it is much more on the Dolphins organization then the fan base for the decline... On a positive note, my good friend bought my old tickets and still takes me to a couple of games a year in my old seats... But still when we lose and your buddy just spent $1500 bucks, it is kind of like a kick in the balls times ten, whether it is me spending the money or not... The least I can do is cover the bar tab...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 10:35AM by Crowder52.

Date: November 29, 2012 11:33AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am local fan base, who had season tickets my
> entire life orange bowl and JRS until 2007. In
> 2007, the Dolphins told me that in order to keep
> my seats that have been in my family since 1970
> and transfered when JRS opened. THe price of each
> ticket renewal was $700 a ticket per game
> including all of the preseason games.. In 2006 I
> was paying 275 a ticket per game.. To more then
> double the price of my tickets while the team was
> not putting out a competitive team, rubbed me the
> wrong way... If that makes me part of a fan base
> that sucks, I think you have your facts mixed
> up.... I think it is much more on the Dolphins
> organization then the fan base for the decline...
> On a positive note, my good friend bought my old
> tickets and still takes me to a couple of games a
> year in my old seats... But still when we lose and
> your buddy just spent $1500 bucks, it is kind of
> like a kick in the balls times ten, whether it is
> me spending the money or not... The least I can do
> is cover the bar tab...

You think this PSL problem is exclusive to Miami? They did the same thing here in Chicago, waiting list for tix is a mile long, Buffalo is a toilet bowl and the team sucks, yet the local fan base is still strong, the list of loyal, strong, local fan bases can go on and on. I don't blame fans for not going and paying huge money, but it seems that the local Miami fan base is way more fickel then most.

Date: November 29, 2012 11:44AM

Put some damn monitors in the concession areas and toilets and I might go back. This is a cheap fix to a very poor outdated situation.

.....................................................................................

Date: November 29, 2012 11:47AM

The problems was demand was not up for tickets or any waiting lists when they did this. It was also not close to the market price for the tickets. They tried to double revenue with their long time most loyal season ticket holders. IMO it was done this way despite lagging sales, bad product,etc in order to jack up the books before the sale of the team to Ross... If your product is declining, season tickets numbers are declining, and demand/ game day atttendace are down in a down economy, you dont double your price, it makes zero sense... Immediately following the price increase the team went 1-15 and was sold all with in less then a year... It was a business move by Huizenga to maximize his price, but hurt the organziation IMO... I dont blame Ross for that, he was handed a mess as far as the business side goes..

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: November 29, 2012 05:54PM

Its not that the Local fan base sucks........there IS NO local fan base! Everyone has moved north. Spanish/hispanic is the Majority, not the minority. There is a huge culture Gap there. If you go to games in most cities there is a ton of Public transportation available. Parking is a HUGE hassle at The Dolphins stadium. Could take more then an hour just to leave the lot. The Turnpike North gets filled to the first Pay area , and god forbid if there is an accident. The Stadium is the problem . Its location sucks. Moving the Dolphins to a central Florida location in a new area with Mass transit and better roads to reach it might be the only answer IMO.

The Owner himself flies in on a personal Helicopter .

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: November 29, 2012 05:57PM

A significant portion of that drop off has been in the last 4 years.

The GM sucks. People were right to want to fire him.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Date: November 30, 2012 02:51AM

eesti: Put some damn monitors in the concession areas and toilets and I might go back.

hahahaha smiling smiley it shouldnt be too hard to do for a multimillion dollar industry.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: November 30, 2012 03:22AM

You have to blame technology a bit too. With the emergence of affordable 70, 80, and 90 inch LED TVs it's getting easier to choose the best place to sit. AC with a fridge nearby or a sweltering noisy stadium?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 08:58AM by Hooligan2.

Date: November 30, 2012 07:26AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> You have to blame technology a bit too. With the
> emergence of affordable 70, 80, and 90 inch LED
> TVs it's getting easier to choose the best place
> to sit. AC with a fridge nearby or a swetltering
> noisy stadium?

Tell that to the "Pack"ed house sitting "in the frozen tundra of Lambeu field" in early January. Some teams have a real strong local fan base and some don't, I would say Miami's problem is more about the transient nature of it's population then the GM or the weather. It'd be like having a home team in Vegas, most people aren't life long residents (I said most, not all).

I'm not trying to say the local fans Miami has are bad in any way, I just don't think there's enough of em willing to put up with all of the other inconviences like bad weather, high ticket prices, poor parking etc.

I haven't checked lately, but i'll bet Miami is still one of the top selling teams in merchandise, we still have great fans, I just think we're spread out all over the country.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 30, 2012 07:42AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Hooligan2 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You have to blame technology a bit too. With
> the
> > emergence of affordable 70, 80, and 90 inch LED
> > TVs it's getting easier to choose the best
> place
> > to sit. AC with a fridge nearby or a
> swetltering
> > noisy stadium?
>
>
> Tell that to the "Pack"ed house sitting "in the
> frozen tundra of Lambeu field" in early January.
> Some teams have a real strong local fan base and
> some don't, I would say Miami's problem is more
> about the transient nature of it's population then
> the GM or the weather. It'd be like having a home
> team in Vegas, most people aren't life long
> residents (I said most, not all).
>
> I'm not trying to say the local fans Miami has are
> bad in any way, I just don't think there's enough
> of em willing to put up with all of the other
> inconviences like bad weather, high ticket prices,
> poor parking etc.
>
> I haven't checked lately, but i'll bet Miami is
> still one of the top selling teams in merchandise,
> we still have great fans, I just think we're
> spread out all over the country.

That's exactly how I see it. We have tons of fans....just not enough where the team is located, to fill the stadium.

Date: November 30, 2012 08:48AM

JC Wrote:
>
> That's exactly how I see it. We have tons of
> fans....just not enough where the team is located,
> to fill the stadium.

Thats it exactly. Florida is a weird place. Most Original Floridians I know all leave in the Northern part of the state now. I'm hard pressed to find local Dolphins fans. I know of none at work. If they changed the location of the stadium instead of building a new one in Miami attendance would soar.

Just for the record Sam......Tons of Flat screens all around the stadium. Concession stands, all over........but none in the bathrooms. My bet is they would get Trashed by dumb drunks who drank too much $9 beer. Yes its $9 for a Bud light. That certainly does not help the game day experience.

Date: November 30, 2012 08:55AM

LOL Treasure....How long is one going to be in the bathroom anyways.

haha

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: November 30, 2012 09:01AM

If you're one of those "wide stance" Republicans then I imagine you'd be screaming for TVs in the stalls too.

Date: November 30, 2012 09:46AM

It might just be Florida.

The fans suck. wishy washy, finicky, blowhards. that pretend to be fans...

Tampa/St Pete has had a baseball team in the World Series, A Stanley Cup winner and a SuperBowl winner in the past decade or so.

None can seem to sell out a game. The Bucs have a winning record and every week the game is blacked out.

Date: November 30, 2012 09:46AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> LOL Treasure....How long is one going to be in the
> bathroom anyways.
>
> haha

At half time you could be waiting a while. but then you don't really need to see anything anyways.

Date: November 30, 2012 09:55AM

The seats are WAY to far from the field. Bad design but that's what you get when you design it for baseball and football.

Date: November 30, 2012 09:59AM

eesti: None can seem to sell out a game. The Bucs have a winning record and every week the game is blacked out.

Man im so glad they always show the games here. Theyve been televising games for a long time. No blacked out games here. TV stations ussualy buy the remaining tickets or radio stations etc.

Id be forced to go to the games if they black out here.

I havent missed too many games in the last 15 years or so.

Date: November 30, 2012 10:00AM

eesti Wrote:
> The seats are WAY to far from the field. Bad
> design but that's what you get when you design it
> for baseball and football.

HUGE problem. The Dolphins have not the AFC won since the Orange bowl. I think the smaller stadium had alot to do with it. The Players can feel the Fan Frenzy. A newer better designed stadium , better placed in a actual Dolphins Market (Orlando area) would be a huge boost for this Team IMO. Check it........The Daytona Dolphins! Seriously! Orlando Phins. Its all good as long as it stays in Florida.

Date: November 30, 2012 10:05AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The seats are WAY to far from the field. Bad
> > design but that's what you get when you design
> it
> > for baseball and football.
>
>
> HUGE problem. The Dolphins have not the AFC won
> since the Orange bowl. I think the smaller stadium
> had alot to do with it. The Players can feel the
> Fan Frenzy. A newer better designed stadium ,
> better placed in a actual Dolphins Market (Orlando
> area) would be a huge boost for this Team IMO.
> Check it........The Daytona Dolphins! Seriously!
> Orlando Phins. Its all good as long as it stays in
> Florida.

this team has so much tradition with the orange bowl and the perfect season. It would be hard to call them anything else other than the miami dolphins.

Date: November 30, 2012 10:06AM

BTW i agree the seats are way too far from the field. Ive been there many times. You better have 20-20 for you to remotely enjoy the game.

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: November 30, 2012 10:23AM

eesti Wrote:
> It might just be Florida.
>
> The fans suck. wishy washy, finicky, blowhards.
> that pretend to be fans...
>
> Tampa/St Pete has had a baseball team in the World
> Series, A Stanley Cup winner and a SuperBowl
> winner in the past decade or so.
>
> None can seem to sell out a game. The Bucs have a
> winning record and every week the game is blacked
> out.

I think there are several reasons for the poor fan support in S. Florida.

First of all, there aren't that many people.

Secondly, a large portion of the local population is elderly. People in their twilight years on a fixed income aren't spending discretionary funds on sports games. And when they do...they aren't going to be very vocal.

Lastly, a large portion of the rest of the local population is originally from some other state. They spent there formative years rooting for a different team. People like that might follow the Dolphins but their passion/allegiances will always be with their home team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 10:40AM by THE Truth.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.