HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          TE discussion
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
TE discussion
Posted by: realist ()
Date: November 22, 2012 04:42AM

I know TE was discussed in a couple threads...but I thought I would start a fresh one.

The TE position is one that is tied more closely to the production of other units than probably any other.

If a team lacks an explosive and elusive running back, the having a blocking TE is crucial...so your guy MUST be big...and therefore is not likely a speedster. ( Gronkowski is not doing a ton of run blocking because the Pats use draw plays to quick shifty guys more than they line up and play smashmouth)

Because TE run blocks he becomes important in creating effective play-action fakes. So on a play fake the TE blocks down and then does a delayed release. His block and delayed release draws in LB's and hopefully a safety creating opportunity for the WR's. In play-fakes he is almost never the primary target and if he is a target it is a late developing route.

If the Outside tackles can't block the pass rush then the TE has to stay and help pass block and his numbers and production go down. And again...he needs to be a sturdy sized blocking back.

If the team has deep threat WR's, the defense plays softer coverage on the outsides and play their safeties deeper. This creates soft spots for a TE to run and sit, or drag lanes to run parallel with rolling QB's, soft edges for the out, and if a team has two deep threats on the outsides...they can create seam routes for the TE.

Obviously if a team lacks 'Deep Threat Wr's...then the safeties sit lower shortening the field, the corners play press taking away the outs, the Corners play more man allowing the option to for a safety to play zone and LB's know they have help overtop so they can get physical with the TE knowing they won't get burned if he releases upfield.

Lastly if a team has a QB that can throw accurately and quickly and against the blitz? The TE becomes incredibly valuable and productive as he is usually in a great position to beat his matchup on a hotread.

When you have an OL, RB, accurate QB and fest WR's...theTE becomes a high scoring redzone threat.

I don't think you can fairly evaluate Fasano when you look at our current offense. Tanny is young but doing well, we have no deep threats, Bush got dinged up, and our RT - Martin needs help against top DE's.

But if you look at Fasano's career....

In 2008 when we had Pennington, and Ronnie and Ricky combined for 1,600 yds, and Ted Ginn Jr was stretching the field, and Camarillo and Bess ran the underneath stuff ( they each had 50+ rec. each) Fasano had 34 rec and 7 TD's

In 2010 when Henne connected with Brandon Marshall 86 times for 1,014 yds, Bess 79 times, and Ronnie and Ricky combined for 1,400 yds Fasano had 39 rec's for 520 yds.

Those are 2 'pretty good' years. Not great...not Pro-bowl...but pretty good. That being said...in 2008 Ginn was our #1 WR and we felt he wasn't a real #1 and we let him go. In 2010 Brandon Marshall was our #1 WR and we all felt Marshall wasn't truly a #1WR either....so...

Fasano's entire career here...he has never had the benefit of playing on a field with a top WR, RB, and QB.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TE discussion
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 22, 2012 06:36AM

Realist--
I think, and have long believed, since my HS days, that the TE position was a critical player in any offensive scheme. The stereotypical TE, in my opinion is big enough to block, capable of shedding a block, breaking into a pass route when the play calls for it and if possible out maneuver a LB. The size of TEs have changed over the years as bigger boys with athletic prowess have come along.

I watched Fasano at Notre Dame. I seldom miss a ND game--I am a fan. Dave Casper was a very good college player who later became a HOF member. Ken McCafee was another capable TE. All of these guys and others successful TEs have been able to block, were tough, and were capable of catching a hot pass.

Fasano (AF) as I've mentioned in other threads, IMO, is a better than average TE. He is a starter in the NFL and would start on other teams today if not a Dolphins TE. His role has varied depending upon what has worked with the O-line. If the O-line can't provide enough run or pass blocking support for the QB, the TE is relegated to providing protection rather than being a possible receiver. This, I believe is why his personal stats are inconsistent. The O-line has been weak and inconsistent, just as our RBs and Qbs. AF could be a pro-bowler with NE.

So, I do agree that if the O-line was better in a few positions the TE could be used more as a receiver. However, that is my view, not necessarily Sherman's view. I do believe that Fasano could easily catch more balls for first down and in the end zone. Short, quick slants, keeping the defender behind his large body is key to making it work with him. AF is not your high jumping basketball type player and needs to use his bulk to hide the defender from the ball.

Everything should be done to improve the Dolphins' play at TE. Focus should also be made on Charles Clay who is a bit shorter but faster and more athletic than AF. I would like to see both play at the same time.

Both have talent, both need to be utilized to their capabilities.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 23, 2012 09:27PM

Most of you guys have probably forgotten more football than I'll ever know, but my untrained eye can tell that Fasano would definitely be able to contribute more if given the opportunity. I'm guessing it's all of those things above combined: Pennington was awesome with the TE position, the OL needs him to stay in to block much more often than they should, playcalling has seemingly forgotten the TE position for the most part (though a lot of that could be Tannehill switching out of pass plays).

Fasano, Bush, Bess and Clay can all be on the field at the same time and all be part of a passing game that has some shorter catch-and-run plays.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 24, 2012 03:49AM

Fasano is an outstanding blocking TE, and that is really important. He could be a bigger threat in the passing game if he was allowed to be. But, he's not as effective in the passing game for two reasons. One, our o-line still isn't very good, and he has asked to stay in and block more than most TEs. And two, we have no speed at WR, so all of our routes are within 15-20 yards of the line of scrimmage, not leaving much room underneath for the TE to work.

The big question will be can they afford to re-sign Fasano in the offseason or do they move on? If they choose to move on, it means spending a very high draft pick on a TE, because none of the other guys on the roster are capable of being a starting TE. Mastrud is a good blocker but not a receiving threat. Clay is a receiving threat, but not a blocker at all, and is probably too short to be a starting TE. Who knows about Egnew, as he hasn't shown any ability in any area of the game. In college, he was a good receiver, but was never asked to block. And who knows about the new guy. He's big anyway, even if I can't think of his name off the top of my head.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.