HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          What is wrong with the Defense?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
What is wrong with the Defense?
Posted by: KB ()
Date: November 20, 2012 11:39AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is wrong with the Defense?
Date: November 20, 2012 12:52PM

Penalties for one. Horrible cornerback play and No Pass Rush. confused smiley

Posted by: realist ()
Date: November 20, 2012 04:17PM

IMO....lack of true 4-3 MLB.

4-3 defense requires a Ray Lewis, Urlacher, Willis. Sometone who steps into the hole and stops the RB at the point of contact.

Jimmy Johnson designed a defense that plugged the middle with two big DT's and used the OLB to funnel the RB into Zach Thomas...who was precise, decisive, played at a low pad level and prevented 'yards after contact'.

Dansby rarely stops the runner at contact.

This has allowed teams to run effectively against us the last couple games. QB's have open lanes to run through, and are juking our STARTING LB's.

So we started bringing the safety up to blitz or fake the blitz. Which has allowed teams to hit us for big plays.

So we back off our coverage to avoide the deep play and teams throw the quick out for 1st downs...when they aren't running for them.

Jake Locker fell down in the backfield after tripping over his own guy, was able to get up and scramble for a 1st down on 3rd and long. Our Lb's are not getting the job done.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 21, 2012 03:43AM

realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IMO....lack of true 4-3 MLB.
>
> 4-3 defense requires a Ray Lewis, Urlacher,
> Willis. Sometone who steps into the hole and stops
> the RB at the point of contact.
>
I agree 100%. I was saying this before we moved to a fulltime 4-3. Dansby's previous experience in the 4-3 was as an OLB, not a MLB. We need a true MLB.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: November 21, 2012 03:53AM

I have never been a big Dansby fan but he has been pretty good in coverage and so has Burnett. That was a huge issue in the past as we always got toasted by TE's.

He is still not the play maker I thought he would be. He is also playing with a torn bicep. I don't think he is the sole issue.

Soliai is playing with an elbow injury and seems to not be as dominant so that doesn't help the MLB.

It's a combination of issues but several players are playing injured.

Odrick has been a disappointment. We need better play from the LDE spot. Vernon may grow into it next year making Odrick a backup. His salary is not over the top at 2.6 m and he may kick inside if McDaniel leaves.

Nolan getting 50 yards in penalties in three plays doesn't help. He is not starting material and neither is the nickle CB.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: November 21, 2012 03:59AM

I was at the game in Buffalo....and I can assure you that 2 of those penalties against Nolan Carrol were complete BS.

Even the Buffalo fans around me all acknowledged the gift from the zebras.

No question about it. Carrol played better than those penalties would suggest.

That said we still need to acquire another starting corner.

Date: November 21, 2012 04:02AM

I had the best seat in the house. In front of my TV with instant replay. He was guilty IMO.

.....................................................................................

Date: November 21, 2012 08:45AM

Miami Dolphins: As a team, the Dolphins have a Pass Rushing Productivity of 27.6, which is the second-highest in the league

PFF

Date: November 21, 2012 08:49AM

Date: November 21, 2012 09:44AM

One 1 of them yes....but there were two which were 100% BS....I don't care what tv you were watching I was there 7 rows from the sideline... he got jobbed.

You are entitled to your opinion...but..when the Buffalo fans in the stands are agreeing that the refs got it wrong? I will have to go with that.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 21, 2012 10:27AM

eesti, there is an old saying that you (the refs) can call holding on every play.

If you are talking about the plays I saw, then those interference calls on Nolan were "the kind that you can call on every play."

One of them was one in which, if I remember correctly, the hand checking activities was actually started by the receiver.

If a receiver puts his hand on the defender, why is it the defender INTERFERING WITH THE RECEIVER when the defender in response brushes the receiver's hand away????????

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 21, 2012 10:55AM

Because the NFL wants offense, scoring, and big plays...the defender is wrong 98% of the time after five yards, and the refs call it that way.

Defense puts fewer butts in the stands and less money in the owners' pockets.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 21, 2012 11:03AM

Sad for the integrity of the game but probably true.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 21, 2012 11:34AM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Odrick has been a disappointment. We need better
> play from the LDE spot. Vernon may grow into it
> next year making Odrick a backup. His salary is
> not over the top at 2.6 m and he may kick inside
> if McDaniel leaves.
>
Something else I was worried about. 3-4 DE's usually transition to DT in a 4-3. It's the 3-4 OLBs (Like Cam Wake) that usually play 4-3 DEs. Odrick is too big and slow to play DE in a 4-3.

Date: November 21, 2012 04:54PM

agreed. Odrick was a smart pick to play 3-4 DE....Starks was even better...that's why he is making plays.

Odrick needs to spend another camp working on his speed moves. He has power...just not enough to play DT. So he needs to develop or he will be out.

Date: November 22, 2012 12:41PM

I think he is a rotational player at DT next year if we resign Starks. if not then he is probably a starter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2012 12:44PM by eesti.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.