HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Vote for Your Rebuilding Philosophy
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Vote for Your Rebuilding Philosophy
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 07, 2014 10:34AM

Poll
11 votes were received.
All visitors can vote.
Who you rather we

What's your rebuilding philosophy?

This dictates what you do in BOTH draft and free agency.

One philosophy is to try to strengthen the team you have on a year by year basis. In this philosophy, if you have grade B players in one area, you don't draft or free agency just to get grade A players in that same area. Instead, you go after curing your grade D and F areas. Let's call this "Leave well enough alone."

The second philosophy is to get the best players you can. If you can upgrade from a B to an A, do that rather than upgrading from an F to a C in a weak area.

these two philosophies ultimately lead to different team fluctuation results.

The first philosophy leads to a slow team progress and is devoted to building a team over years.

The second philosophy says that if we aren't at Grade A now, tear everything down to rebuild from scratch.

So I'll make those the choices.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vote for Your Rebuilding Philosophy
Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: March 07, 2014 11:47AM

build through the draft and supplement through FA.

if we're in full rebuild mode then i trade aging vets while they still have some value and accumulate picks.

Date: March 07, 2014 12:05PM

I think the only teams in "full" rebuild mode are new franchises. Even the worst teams in the league have a few good players.

Having weaknesses in every area, like those teams, is a quite different thing than a full rebuild mode.

But even so, I don't think we have weaknesses in every area (not saying that you are saying that). We have several strong players, Wake, Wallace, etc. and certain prospects, Tannehill.

Your answer is a puzzle because if you have weaknesses in EVERY area, then the answer is obvious.

but the question is what if you have strong areas with old vets and weak other areas then do you ditch those strong old vets thus ALSO creating new areas of need which basically puts you in a kind of full rebuild mode in the sense that you have now rendered yourself weak in EVERY area

or

do you say, "hey, these strong guys may only have a few years left but let's keep them for those few years and for now just work on and strengthen the weak areas so at least we'll see the playoffs in sometime soon and then a few years from now, when those old guys in those strong areas retire, THEN we'll cross those bridges when we come to them."

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 07, 2014 02:32PM

The only teams in the NFL that are "rebuilding" are those who don't have a franchise QB.

Everyone else is "retooling".

The only way to have long term success in the NFL is to find an elite QB, by whatever means necessary (draft, FA, trade), and then build around him by using the draft to supply your core with inexpensive/impact players, and Free Agency to fill the biggest holes on a year to year basis with NFL caliber players.

There is no other way to succeed in today's NFL.

No QB = no shot.

Date: March 07, 2014 04:54PM

Totally off the subject. Some teams need a QB and that's their deficiency. Some need a quarterback PLUS. Some have a QB (like us) and need other things, like an o line (not saying but just sayin).

edited to add:

But maybe you're saying that if you've got a QB, you've got everything. If you are, then how'd that work for us with Dan Marino?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2014 05:00PM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: March 07, 2014 05:38PM

THE Truth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only teams in the NFL that are "rebuilding"
> are those who don't have a franchise QB.
>
> Everyone else is "retooling".
>
>
> The only way to have long term success in the NFL
> is to find an elite QB, by whatever means
> necessary (draft, FA, trade), and then build
> around him by using the draft to supply your core
> with inexpensive/impact players, and Free Agency
> to fill the biggest holes on a year to year basis
> with NFL caliber players.
>
>
> There is no other way to succeed in today's NFL.
>
> No QB = no shot.

You are making too much sense Truth! You will only confuse the author. I wouldn't know as I have him blocked but I can make an educated guess and say his poll is stupid and he makes no sense what-so-ever!

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: March 07, 2014 07:27PM

Posted by: THE Truth ()
Date: March 08, 2014 05:37AM

eesti Wrote:
> THE Truth Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The only teams in the NFL that are "rebuilding"
> > are those who don't have a franchise QB.
> >
> > Everyone else is "retooling".
> >
> >
> > The only way to have long term success in the
> NFL
> > is to find an elite QB, by whatever means
> > necessary (draft, FA, trade), and then build
> > around him by using the draft to supply your
> core
> > with inexpensive/impact players, and Free
> Agency
> > to fill the biggest holes on a year to year
> basis
> > with NFL caliber players.
> >
> >
> > There is no other way to succeed in today's
> NFL.
> >
> > No QB = no shot.
>
> You are making too much sense Truth! You will only
> confuse the author. I wouldn't know as I have him
> blocked but I can make an educated guess and say
> his poll is stupid and he makes no sense
> what-so-ever!

There was a poll?

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: March 08, 2014 09:37AM

Seems like system 2 is "Patriots Way", I picked that one. They seem to get great value by ridding themselves of vets just as the value of those vets peak, and turn those over into younger guys via draft picks. The biggest problem with this system is it aggravates fans that grow attached to stars and football icons, especially with an unsuccessful franchise like the Dolphins have been over the past few decades. The thing to remember about the NFL is that it really is a young man's game. The risk for injury goes up exponentially for every year of age that these guys have. The time to recover from an injury likewise increases per year of age. Sure there have been players that have beaten this trend, but they are very rare and are certainly the exception rather than the rule.

I can see why you guys are voting for option 1, Ireland was sort of an option 2 guy---who wasn't too great at making picks unfortunately. I have confirmed that theory 2 is the better of the two, through a variety of NFL management simulations. It basically all comes down to getting the best possible value for your players, and recognizing that player peaks frequently predict skill decline and drop offs. I don't know who among you have seen the film Moneyball, but watching what the Oakland Athletics have been doing in baseball to me is relative to option 2. Their situation is different, because of salary restrictions and having to dump their stars accordingly, but despite this they're always competitive and even win their division regularly.

Date: March 08, 2014 10:53AM

You don't win anything by trading strong players ever. You get rid of shit only.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 09, 2014 10:15AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> You don't win anything by trading strong players
> ever. You get rid of shit only.

With the shape the Dolphins are in, right now, I would have to agree with ya, Treasure. Build around those strong players. Stop bringing in new faces and hope they play up to the standards of those who were just let go.

I am still a little leery of this coaching staff and their ability to teach these players and to fully utilize their skills.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 09, 2014 11:39AM

It's never as easy as a two choice poll, the philosophy last year of letting Bush and Long walk was a sound one.....except for one minor detail, we didn't have viable candidates to replace them.

In todays day and age of free agency and the salary cap, you have to constantly be getting rid of older, more expensive players for younger, cheaper players. It appears that if Jordan lives up to his potential, he could be that younger, cheaper option over Wake.......butttttt, most of us thought the same about Miller and Martin last year. Didn't work out to good. (for the record, i'm not in favor of trading Wake, because I think we need a strong veteran presence in light of last year, but I could see their theory if they did)

This franchises biggest problem has been piss poor drafting that's forced us to overspend in FA to fill holes, instead of bumping up younger guys that actually play well when called upon, a couple of teams that come to mind are the Steelers and the Packers, they've been very good at this for a long time now. Let's hope Hickey is a diamond in the rough........

Date: March 09, 2014 12:54PM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: March 09, 2014 01:20PM

ChyrenB Wrote:

> RESPONSE: Lamar and Jonathan. Lost me. My bad.
> Don't get it.

We let Bush walk thinking Lamar was the answer......we let Long walk thinking Martin was the answer........

Date: March 09, 2014 02:17PM

captkoi Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You don't win anything by trading strong
> players
> > ever. You get rid of shit only.
>
> **************************************************
> *
>
> With the shape the Dolphins are in, right now, I
> would have to agree with ya, Treasure. Build
> around those strong players. Stop bringing in new
> faces and hope they play up to the standards of
> those who were just let go.
>
> I am still a little leery of this coaching staff
> and their ability to teach these players and to
> fully utilize their skills.

You make a great point as well. Teams don't let go of good players unless they are us (hopefully Old us) The NFL farm team. So if we are getting a player in Free Agency (like Ellerbe last season ) there is probably a reason. If its salary cap and we got the $$$ think about it. Sure. But if its too good a deal , there is probably a reason he is being let go. Get rid Of Moore, maybe a few others that are not starters. Lets get some more draft picks. Solid healthy Starters need to stay .

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 09, 2014 05:42PM

dolphaholic Wrote:

> We let Bush walk thinking Lamar was the
> answer......we let Long walk thinking Martin was
> the answer........

Ok. Got it.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 10, 2014 07:40AM

The problem is that we still don't know Miller, Thomas, and Gillislee aren't the answer. Until we have an O-Line that can open holes for the runners we won't have the answer.

I'd be willing to trade Thomas though...because I think the other two are good, and versatile enough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.