HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Week 13 - Pivotal game for the Dolphins
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Week 13 - Pivotal game for the Dolphins
Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: December 05, 2013 05:42AM

Here we are 6-6. This game is really pivotal for the Phins in so many ways.

1. Will Philbin and company rally the troops to compete for a playoff spot? Whether we make the playoffs or not, this game will decide if we are even going to compete for a playoff spot. For all the heat Philbin has taken since the start of Bully/Baby/Idiot-Gate, he has to get some credit for keeping the team together and competing through this whole ordeal, especially when you take into consideration that this scandal has hit the weakest part of our team (the o-line) the hardest.

2. Can Tannehill take another step forward? Earlier in the year, I saw four key areas of weakness for Tannehill: 1) lack of pocket awareness 2) locking onto his receivers 3) inaccurate deep ball 4) clock management. I have seen improvement in everything but the deep ball, which continues to be terrible. If he can start hitting those, Tannehill could be very good. He needs to take that step this week.

3. Olivier Vernon. The Vernon/Wake combination could be special. Can Vernon keep up the great play now that the entire league finally knows who he is? He is no longer anonymous. (side note: Vernon is not even on the Pro Bowl ballot)

4. The Running Game. Mr. Miller you need to make it happen this week. Get the job done dude! A few big runs will boost his confidence and keep the defenses honest.

This is a winnable game. The Phins are improving. I'm looking forward to a 7-6 record and a strong finish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Week 13 - Pivotal game for the Dolphins
Posted by: Sickofit+1 ()
Date: December 05, 2013 05:49AM

Amen, Coyle you need to blitz and do it often. Sherman well let Philden call the play's.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: December 05, 2013 07:29AM

The more I look at this team the more I conclude it has some significant talent. That said, I have not been an Ireland supporter -- tho I have to give some degree of credit in the athletes he's assembled on the roster -- with dues like Wallace and Grimes and Jordan and OV and Miller etc.

I think our underwhelming performance (inconsistent and at times blundering) has to be put on the coaching staff first and foremost. We can only hope Philbin & CO. are still collectively growing into their digs and have a lot more upside than previously shown.

That said, I know players still play the game and they have to be accountable for the result. I just really wonder has much Philbin has extracted the total potential of this roster -- and why in the hell we didn’t address the OL much more aggressively in TC and certainly in the early season? For an HC with an OC background that seems really strange to me -- and that disconnect has me concerned moving forward -- along with Sherm as OC -- nice guy but ????

Last, straight up -- roster to roster -- I believe we should win going away…

But what do I know.

BNF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2013 07:36AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: December 05, 2013 11:41AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here we are 6-6. This game is really pivotal for
> the Phins in so many ways.
>
> 1. Will Philbin and company rally the troops to
> compete for a playoff spot? Whether we make the
> playoffs or not, this game will decide if we are
> even going to compete for a playoff spot. For all
> the heat Philbin has taken since the start of
> Bully/Baby/Idiot-Gate, he has to get some credit
> for keeping the team together and competing
> through this whole ordeal, especially when you
> take into consideration that this scandal has hit
> the weakest part of our team (the o-line) the
> hardest.
>
> 2. Can Tannehill take another step forward?
> Earlier in the year, I saw four key areas of
> weakness for Tannehill: 1) lack of pocket
> awareness 2) locking onto his receivers 3)
> inaccurate deep ball 4) clock management. I
> have seen improvement in everything but the deep
> ball, which continues to be terrible. If he can
> start hitting those, Tannehill could be very good.
> He needs to take that step this week.
>
> 3. Olivier Vernon. The Vernon/Wake combination
> could be special. Can Vernon keep up the great
> play now that the entire league finally knows who
> he is? He is no longer anonymous. (side note:
> Vernon is not even on the Pro Bowl ballot)
>
> 4. The Running Game. Mr. Miller you need to make
> it happen this week. Get the job done dude! A
> few big runs will boost his confidence and keep
> the defenses honest.
>
> This is a winnable game. The Phins are improving.
> I'm looking forward to a 7-6 record and a strong
> finish.

Regarding Vernon. Yes, he is no longer anonymous, but I highly doubt the opposing offense can gang up on him with Wake on the other side.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: December 06, 2013 02:48AM

I agree. Defenses can't gang up on Vernon. If he can continue to make great progress, we will have the best one-two punch of pass rushers in the league.

Wake's numbers are down; but he missed some games and draws tons of attention from the offense. He also draws lots of penalties.

Vernon's progress is one turning point for this team.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 08, 2013 02:06AM

Its nice to see Vernon doing well but I'd rather have Jordan playing DE instead of him. Jordan makes plays when he's on the field and he's around or hitting the QB when asked to pass rush.

He's just got more ability IMHO.

Now if we could just get a dominating LB in the draft somewhere our D would be something really special.

Posted by: BobT ()
Date: December 08, 2013 04:05AM

Ken, I think the dominating LB may already be on the roster-Dion Jordan. Keep Vernon at DE and play Jordan at LB-problem solved.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 08, 2013 08:02AM

I thought of that too but I think I'd rather have him play DE and draft someone specifically for LB.

Posted by: phinsfan402 ()
Date: December 08, 2013 05:38PM

Ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its nice to see Vernon doing well but I'd rather
> have Jordan playing DE instead of him. Jordan
> makes plays when he's on the field and he's around
> or hitting the QB when asked to pass rush.
>
> He's just got more ability IMHO.

More ability than a guy with double digit sacks through 12 games? Maybe. Jordan has shown flashes and seems to have legitimate skills, but it's tough to mess with a good thing. Not to mention that Vernon has the edge in experience with the system, experience in the league, and Jordan missed his rookie OTA's and preseason with an injury. It's extremely obvious that Vernon is the superior player right now and he's one of the best young DE's in the NFL.

Jordan deserves more PT but Vernon has 7 sacks in his last four games. You go with the hot hand.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 08, 2013 07:08PM

Don't forget Jared Odrick.

Rick

Date: December 08, 2013 07:11PM

Vernon is bigger and stronger than Jordan right now, but Jordan is further along than Vernon was at this point last year.
I agree that we need a dominating LB.

Rick

Date: December 08, 2013 07:15PM

I think Jordan's body type may be more suited to be the LB we need, and he has the size to be an intimidating presence, which Wheeler is not.

Rick

Posted by: phinsfan402 ()
Date: December 08, 2013 08:40PM

Rick, I like Jordan as a LB as well. I see his best spot as Misi's current position, SLB, where he can rush the passer and cover the TE more easily. However, Misi is now locked up for another four seasons. It's obvious the coaches plan on Jordan being a DE and then playing him all over on obvious passing situations. At this point that is perfectly fine for Jordan. It's what Vernon did last season and his development has gone pretty well. It's not really a problem when you have an abundance of pass rushers.

I'd gladly take a dominant LB but we can't realistically cut ties with Ellerbe or Wheeler yet. Look for us to draft a mid round LB with potential that can play ST while he learns. Also, keep an eye on Jelani Jenkins, 4th round pick last draft. He has flashed potential and has great athleticism but he's young, came out a year early, and raw.

Posted by: Sickofit+1 ()
Date: December 09, 2013 02:28AM

Look for us to take a lber first or second round.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.