HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Balls of steel
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Balls of steel
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 15, 2012 10:37AM

Four minutes left on the clock, leading by only 3, on our own 39 yard line, and Philbin calls a fake punt direct snapping the ball to our defensive safety Chris Clemons playing up back on 4th and 1.... That was the call of the game, and took tremendous balls... We miss that play, the Rams most likely tie the game or worse, giving them the ball in field goal range from the start... Hell of a call, didnt think Philbin had it in him...Hell of a job executing by Darren Rizzi and his special teams unit...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 10:38AM by Crowder52.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balls of steel
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 15, 2012 10:40AM

It was a great call. Great timing. Well executed. I was only bummed at the conservative play call after the fake punt.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 15, 2012 10:46AM

It's a refreshing change that we are pulling stunts like that on other teams instead of just seeing them pulled on us.

Date: October 15, 2012 10:50AM

I think the offense did a good job of killing the clock, they did that by running the ball and not having any incompletions.. We took over the ball with around 7+ minutes left and didnt turn the ball over until less then 2 minutes. That is why we won, had we thrown the ball and had incompletions or even worse an interception, the Rams would have had more time on the clock. With less then 2 minutes when Bradord took over, it limited his options. He had to get the ball out of bounds on every play to stop the clock.... Considering we lost a game recently in a similar situation because we were passing and Tannehill got sacked and turned the ball over, I thought they handle the end of the game very wisely...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2012 11:05AM by Crowder52.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: October 15, 2012 11:01AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a refreshing change that we are pulling
> stunts like that on other teams instead of just
> seeing them pulled on us.

+1

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 15, 2012 11:21AM

dolfan1 Wrote:
> Hooligan2 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's a refreshing change that we are pulling
> > stunts like that on other teams instead of just
> > seeing them pulled on us.
>
>
> +1

Is that all you got to say?

I say + 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: October 15, 2012 04:43PM

Great call...only because it worked. Can you imagine the comments here if it didn't work and the rams drive for a TD? Whoa!

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 15, 2012 05:48PM

I know people are thinking me, GBO, but actually there is a world of difference between that call and the decision to have Tannehill passing (he got sacked and fumbled) on 2nd and 8 at midfield with 2:59 seconds left on the opponent's 39 yard line leading by 7.

This play was SO TOTALLY UNIMAGINEABLE that there isn't a team in pro or college that would have anticipated it. It was SO RISKY, it was brilliant.

But we only had a 3 point lead and there was enough time on the clock for the Rams to get into field goal range EVEN WITH A PUNT ENDING THEM AT their 10 yard line.

In a separate thread, I'll like somebody to tell me how come punters don't angle the ball out of bounds inside the 10 yard line anymore like they haven't done since the 90's.

It was a crazy, crazy move and designed to catch them with their pants down and it would have caught 90% of the NFL teams with their pants down in that situation.

I promise you I would not have criticized it. I posted great call the second it happened.

Another by-product will be this. I BET WE NEVER HAVE A PUNT BLOCKED ALL YEAR.

Know why?

Every team will remember this play on every punt.

Any slight hesitation eliminates the possibility of a block.

The only way we get a punt blocked for the rest of the year is when they absolutely HAVE to block the punt to win.

Date: October 15, 2012 06:16PM

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: October 15, 2012 07:40PM

What a gutsy call to fake a punt. It worked so he's a genius, but if it failed we all would be infuriated. The man definitely has a pair. He'll be here for a long time.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: October 15, 2012 08:16PM

We have good coaching again.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Date: October 15, 2012 11:58PM

DolfanKing Wrote:
> We have good coaching again.

thumbs upsmileys with beer (cyber handshake)

Date: October 16, 2012 03:00AM

That is what makes it such a ballsy call, had we not got the first down, Philbin would have been crucified rightly so.. But that is football, when it works you are a genius when it doenst you are a fool....
But at the same time no guts no glory in the NFL... Dont play to "not lose", play to win... Going for that play was playing to win, instead of what we use to do in previous years, play to not lose... While we didnt attack with our offense on that drive and focused on killing the clock, which we did effectively...The fake punt on our own 39 was as aggressive a call as a coach can make in that situation.

Nietzsche

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 16, 2012 03:06AM

Actually the same play has been called before. It is up to Chris Clemons to check the defense to see if it is ok to run it. CC even said from what the defense showed him he shouldn't have run it (according to rule) but he made his mind up and knew he could get at least a yard.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 16, 2012 05:09AM

I'm really impressed how much faith Philbin has in his players to allow them to make adjustments. I remember all the second-guessing and restrictions that existed under Sparano. Philbin has taken a completely different approach, giving Tanny full freedom to audible, letting receivers choose routes based on the defense, and even giving guys an special teams a chance to make a call. Fact is, the view on the field is different from that off, and often the guys in the game have a better sense of what will work.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: October 16, 2012 05:29AM

You weren't the only one I had in mind with that comment Chryen. I actually was speaking about myself as well.

There are some good points about the time left and field position that came into play on the call but otherwise, it worked so he's a genius.

Date: October 16, 2012 05:42AM

If it didnt work out there are some here that would be on joe philbins @$$ like white on rice.

Its a game folks sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. It does help to have good players and good coaches to put them in the position to make the play happen.

Date: October 16, 2012 05:56AM

montequi Wrote:
> I'm really impressed how much faith Philbin has in
> his players to allow them to make adjustments. I
> remember all the second-guessing and restrictions
> that existed under Sparano. Philbin has taken a
> completely different approach, giving Tanny full
> freedom to audible, letting receivers choose
> routes based on the defense, and even giving guys
> an special teams a chance to make a call. Fact
> is, the view on the field is different from that
> off, and often the guys in the game have a better
> sense of what will work.

No kidding. Sparano treated them like idiots. Just goes to show you...treat players like kids and they will play like kids.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: October 16, 2012 06:13AM

eesti Wrote:
> Actually the same play has been called before. It
> is up to Chris Clemons to check the defense to see
> if it is ok to run it. CC even said from what the
> defense showed him he shouldn't have run it
> (according to rule) but he made his mind up and
> knew he could get at least a yard.

I am not sure I listened to all of the talk about it yesterday from Clemons, Philbin, and others and didnt take that away from what they said... Philbin said the ST coaches talked to the team on friday, and said they wanted to be aggressive in the kicking game. They also said the rams ST played every punt the same way with a guy lined up far back, so they knew the play was open. Before it just wasnt the scenario they dsicussed as far using it. As soon as the scenario they talked about so happen to take place, he knew the call was going to be made... Situational stuff they went over already with the coaches....
Philbin says they practice all these plays, from fakes to onsides, etc, so if you are going to spend the time practicing you better use them.. Otherwise you dont believe in the plays, so why are you wasting time practicing them...

Nietzsche

Date: October 16, 2012 06:35AM

Date: October 16, 2012 07:00AM

eesti Wrote:

> So you're not sure you listened to all of it but
> I'm the one who is mistaken? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
>
> I got it from an interview with Clemens. Not JP.

Yes I listened to the Clemons interview, and I didnt hear the same thing as you, which is why I wasnt sure..lol... Clemons did say it was his read, and that Rams were leaving the gap open the whole game. He didnt say that he made the call even though the look was wrong.. He said the same gap was open, since it was only a half yard he knew to make the call...

Nietzsche

Date: October 16, 2012 07:36AM

Date: October 16, 2012 08:16AM

Date: October 16, 2012 08:27AM

"Playing 'not to lose'" is only objectionable if you do it the whole game or even if you do it BEFORE the game is "in the bag."

But it is not only okay but the only sane thing to do, when you play not to lose when the game is in the bag and that is defined as when all you have to do to win is let the clock run down and NOT turn over the ball.

In THIS GAME, the game was far from in the bag and it looked like we were going to turn the ball over to them late in the game WITH 1) sufficient time for them to score a field goal OR a touchdown and, more importantly, 2) time to run the clock OUT ON US.

The fake field goal, even if stopped would have left them with TOO MUCH TIME to run the clock out on us.

Date: October 16, 2012 08:42AM

Date: October 16, 2012 08:46AM

Just a question from my lack of knowledge. If Clemons was the one to make the decision, how does he communicate to the long snapper? Was he shouting out the signals?

Date: October 16, 2012 10:25AM

You treat players like jimmy johnson did......Although i never liked when we had like 13 surgeries one season....when JJ was the coach.

JJ was kind of a tyrant but he has a college ring and nfl ring. Thats a very good resume.

Date: October 16, 2012 11:32AM

Date: October 16, 2012 11:45AM

chrenB: I promise you I would not have criticized it. I posted great call the second it happened.

You mean if it didnt worked out for us the fake punt?

I think if the fake punt didnt work out you would be calling for joe philbin and irelands heads on a platter. LOL.

Sorry chren i couldnt resist man.

Date: October 16, 2012 11:51AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Just a question from my lack of knowledge. If
> Clemons was the one to make the decision, how does
> he communicate to the long snapper? Was he
> shouting out the signals?

In the punt formation the postion Clemons was playin "punt protector" is the guy who calls the play and communicates between the long snapper and punter.. The punt protector makes calls like the QB in that situation... so he did it through a verbal call I assume, so the whole offensive line knew the scheme to block as well the long snapper who to snap it to..

Nietzsche

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.