HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Sturgis
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sturgis
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 29, 2013 04:00AM

Yes I wish I was talking about the bike rally but now this guy has missed FG's in 3 straight games. This is why you never waste a draft pick higher than a 7th rounder for a kicker. It's in his head now. Doesn't matter that he started off 10/10.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sturgis
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 29, 2013 10:43AM

Everyone jumped on me when I said, in regards to Carpenter when we had him, that kickers are very emotional people and like it or not, you've got to baby them.

The fact that he started 10 for 10 and is now in a slump has to be emotion and not the level of his skill.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 10:49AM

It was just the wind one time and the other it was blocked....

Tell the blockers to block better and people miss kicks in the wind. Its very hard to kick a field goal in a strong wind.

Date: October 29, 2013 11:06AM

Good point about the block, SamSam.

On the wind thing, it seemed to me he kicked it dead straight on and it went into a straight line off target.

It caused me to wonder whether Sturgis was one of those old fashioned kickers BEFORE THE ADVENT OF Ypremian and the soccer style kickers but when I researched Sturgis, not only is he a soccer style kickers but he was a soccer star before he started playing football.

So either he didn't account for the wind or he just made a bad kick.

Date: October 29, 2013 11:11AM

Its just a learning experience about the wind chren.............Maybe he will learn his leson this time.

If the wind is coming from the left he needed to kick it more to the left....so when the winds hits the ball,,, it will push it more to the right toward the middle of the two goal posts...and vise versa.

He is a rookie....he will learn.

Date: October 29, 2013 11:14AM

Hopefully.

Date: October 29, 2013 11:17AM

Chren when we see a block like that its hard to realize your team has given up.

Date: October 29, 2013 11:27AM

I was totally defeated at that point in time and when it happened, it was like I was in my grave looking up to see my worst enemy pissing on me.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 02:28PM

It looked like that to me, too. However, both the TV announcers and the announcers on Dolphins radio said the same thing: it was a 52 yard kick, and the wind was stiffish from right to left. He kicked it at the right post, and at that moment the wind died, so instead of curving to the left and being good, the kick went right to the spot to where it was kicked and bounced off the post. If the wind had stayed steady, it was good. We just haven't been getting the breaks lately.

Rick

Posted by: gofinswin1 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 02:47PM

I think he kick it where he wanted to and kicked it pretty good but the wind died down right before he kicked it. Hopefully he gets his mojo back soon

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 02:54PM

Carpenter is having a great year, top 5 so far, and good for him... He didn't have a very good year last year...
I think Sturgis will be fine... We all see he has a boot on him, it will come together for him, he is just a rookie... I think keeping Carpenter at 2.7 million or Sturgis at 500 grand, we made the right move long term... Sturgis isn't losing us games... He will only get better with more experience...Keeping Sturgis over Carpenter is the least of our problems IMO...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: October 29, 2013 03:32PM

Thanks for the info but I was talking about the blocked kick.

Date: October 29, 2013 03:43PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the info but I was talking about the
> blocked kick.

The block kick was combination of blocking and too low of trajectory trying to get the ball to travel farther IMO.... The wind was wicked, this past week in NE, and every stadium has different effects from the wind... Winds gets swirling and doing weird things in outdoor stadiums, when it blows... First time Sturgis ever kicked in that stadium, experience will only help him, right now he has none in most of these stadiums...

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Date: October 29, 2013 03:45PM

No, Crowder, I meant about how I felt, not about anything having to do with it being Sturgis' fault.

Date: October 29, 2013 03:54PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> No, Crowder, I meant about how I felt, not about
> anything having to do with it being Sturgis'
> fault.

yeah, failing to get in the end zone on that drive, was pretty disheartening, the fact the kick was blocked was like whatever, par for the course when you have lost momentum and can't get it back......

Nietzsche

Date: October 29, 2013 03:59PM

Precisely.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 30, 2013 12:29PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Good point about the block, SamSam.
>
> On the wind thing, it seemed to me he kicked it
> dead straight on and it went into a straight line
> off target.
>
> It caused me to wonder whether Sturgis was one of
> those old fashioned kickers BEFORE THE ADVENT OF
> Ypremian and the soccer style kickers but when I
> researched Sturgis, not only is he a soccer style
> kickers but he was a soccer star before he started
> playing football.
>
> So either he didn't account for the wind or he
> just made a bad kick.

During the 2013 Draft Issue, here's some of what PFW said about Sturgis: "Three blocks as a senior (get-off time). A highly dependable, clutch, long-range placekicker who will hold down a job for 10 years."

Date: November 01, 2013 04:06AM

Yes and it's not just making field goals. You have to have a high trajectory or it WILL get blocked.

This is 4 games with a missed FG now.

Could have cost us the game and there would have been no OT if he made the first one.

Luckily the defense bailed him out or he probably get's cut today.

.....................................................................................

Date: November 01, 2013 05:40AM

The kid kicked a high pressure field goal to send it to overtime.... He is a rookie, he will be fine.... That kick at the end of the game, was serious mind f*ck territory and he didnt let it bother him, nailed it... Nobody bailed out Sturgis anymore then they bailed out RT and the offense as a whole in the second half...

Nietzsche

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 01, 2013 07:45AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> . Nobody bailed out Sturgis
> anymore then they bailed out RT and the offense as
> a whole in the second half...

I agree with your assessment..he's a rookie and will be fine.

But I thought in a way Cam bailed him out by scoring the final points instead of leaving it up to a FG.

Date: November 01, 2013 08:17AM

But they did bail the offense out and RT was in no danger of getting cut....can't say the same for Caleb Sturgis. You know Ireland was thinking about it after that miss.

Date: November 01, 2013 09:22AM

Hey folks, keep in mind that the field goal that Sturgis kicked to go into overtime was only a 44 yarder.

That's not like only an extra point but hardly like over 50 yards.

Date: November 01, 2013 10:10AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Hey folks, keep in mind that the field goal that
> Sturgis kicked to go into overtime was only a 44
> yarder.
>
> That's not like only an extra point but hardly
> like over 50 yards.

CHyren keep in mind that the kick he missed earlier in the game was ten yards less then kick to send it to overtime... That is where the mind games occur... A 44 yard kick, where if you miss you lose, is a big kick, no if ands or buts about it....

Nietzsche

Date: November 01, 2013 11:17AM

JC Wrote:

> But I thought in a way Cam bailed him out by
> scoring the final points instead of leaving it up
> to a FG.

Yeah Cam bailed out the whole offense and special teams from having to finish the game with that play... Gotta love a guy that puts it on his own shoulder and just puts the game away... Nice to see Cam Wake back healthy again....

Nietzsche

Date: November 01, 2013 12:19PM

We are putting a lot of pressure on Sturgis early in his rookie year... Carpenters entire rookie year he was asked to kick one field goal of 50 yards or more... And it was 50 yards... Think about the kicks we have asked Sturgis to make young in his career in his first 8 games... All kickers go through slumps, and hopefully the big kick that helped the team win the game and send it to overtime is going to help him get through it...

Nietzsche

Date: November 01, 2013 12:25PM

Crowder52 Wrote:

>
> CHyren keep in mind that the kick he missed
> earlier in the game was ten yards less then kick
> to send it to overtime...

I was aware of that.

That is where the mind
> games occur... A 44 yard kick, where if you miss
> you lose, is a big kick, no if ands or buts about
> it....

Yes, I see the mental aspect of it but as you yourself say, it's only a really tough kick, not because it's a 44 yarder which is routine, but because he screwed up an earlier easier kick and even the announcers were saying his confidence was gone.

So bottom line, not a fantastic kick.

Date: November 01, 2013 12:32PM

Chyren- not only because he missed a shorter one earlier in the game, but because of the impact and pressure of the moment... It is like one basketball player having to make a single free throw with no time left... If he misses, his team loses the game.. Or a golfer with a short put to win a tournament, miss and he loses... It is the moment that increases the level of difficulty...

The entire pressure of his team on a 4 game losing streak, make it or go home, made it one of the hardest kicks of his young career... 44 yards makes it no gimme, so the pressure was there.. it wasn't like he was kicking to win, that has less pressure... It was miss and lose...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2013 12:36PM by Crowder52.

Date: November 01, 2013 12:58PM

Oh, I see what you are saying Crowder, you mistakenly believe that I am saying he was NOT under pressure. NOOOO! Quite to the contrary, he was under TREMENDOUS pressure but not because of the difficulty of the kick is my point, only because he had screwed up earlier kicks and those were screw ups, not 60 yarders he missed.

One footnote however, your basketball analogy is off because a single free throw can never LOSE a basketball game unless it is a "one and one."

At best, if the free throw would win it and it is missed, there would then be a tie.

Date: November 01, 2013 01:06PM

A single free throw to send it to overtime. Down by 3 make the shot get fouled and get an and 1... IF you miss you lose, if you make it, it goes to overtime.... Happens quite frequently.... Miss the free throw and you lose, not tie or win... Just send it to extra minutes..

Nietzsche

Date: November 01, 2013 01:09PM

Oh, I thought you meant to win the game probably because you followed it up with the Golfing putt analogy to win. It didn't make sense.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.