HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          State of the AFC and the AFC East
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
State of the AFC and the AFC East
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 09, 2012 04:30AM

NE certainly has a good schedule. They don't really have any compeition until week 13, 14 and 15 when they face Mia, Hou & SF...unless the Bills or Jets can pull one out in a tough division battle. They are going to be tough to catch again.

Jets face Andrew Luck next and then Mia and NE. We have to get some payback to push these idiots farther back in the East.

Bills...will be luck to win 7 games this year. Inconsistent play at QB will get you nowhere. Same as their defense.

So glad we face Sparano and Wannstedt in our own division.

I think our best shot at the playoffs is through a wildcard unless NE falls apart again. We will win at least one game against them but we have enough ability to compete with the rest of the AFC.

Houston, NE are the best and we are just as good as anyone else in the AFC.

San Diego, Broncos, Ravens, Bengals, Steelers all have their own struggles.

Ravens and SD may be the next best. Steelers new offense is not working well.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: State of the AFC and the AFC East
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 09, 2012 06:25AM

If we somehow make the playoffs THIS season I'll be ecstatic!! At this point I'm not counting on it, but I AM optimistic about where this team is going.

Posted by: ChambersDeepBall ()
Date: October 09, 2012 06:33AM

Another good thing about beating Cincy, they are our wild card competition. I think INDY will be wild card competition too. We get to play them head to head

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: October 09, 2012 10:08AM

the afc is wide open this year. if the phins keep improving and getting more comfortable with new systems on both sides of the ball they may sneak into the last spot.

they have to avoid serious injuries to get there though.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 09, 2012 11:13AM

ChambersDeepBall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another good thing about beating Cincy, they are
> our wild card competition. I think INDY will be
> wild card competition too. We get to play them
> head to head

LOL. and Vontae.

Date: October 16, 2012 08:13AM

There are 14 teams in the AFC that are @ .500 or worse.

There are 9 teams in the NFC at .500 or worse.

23 teams. Wow! Talk about parity.

Todd Bowles was hired as DC for the Eagles after they fired Castillo.

.....................................................................................

Date: October 22, 2012 05:06AM

Did anyone see Rex Ryan's borderline tearful speach at the end of the NE game? It was awesome!

Jets 3-4 and we are in 2nd place by default. I hope JP has a good game plan for these jokers.

Buffalo gave it away in the last minutes as well.

All in all, a good week to be a Dolphin fan even if they didn't play.

10 teams in the NFL with a winning record. It may be a jumbled mess trying to sort out the Wildcard spots this year.

week 8...

Patriots @ STL, Bills have a bye.

STL is coming off a 2 game losing streak.

Pats have lost to AZ, Bal & Sea

STL have beaten AZ & Sea. (Two teams that beat NE)

NE just squeaked by the Jets. They seem to struggle against mediocre to very good defenses. They're decisive wins were only against Ten & Buf.

Lets go Rams!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 22, 2012 05:15AM

If the season were to end today, we would have the 2nd wildcard spot in the playoffs.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: October 22, 2012 05:35AM

My perfect scenario....get a WC and play Houston in the first round and finally exact some revenge!

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: October 22, 2012 05:43AM

eesti Wrote:
> My perfect scenario....get a WC and play Houston
> in the first round and finally exact some revenge!

Then take that momentum to the Superbowl, ala NY Giants.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 22, 2012 05:54AM

quote: Did anyone see Rex Ryan's borderline tearful speach at the end of the NE game? It was awesome!

Oh man i gotta see that.

Posted by: DarthHoodie ()
Date: October 23, 2012 09:57AM

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 23, 2012 10:12AM

Jest
Pass D is still good even with the loss of Revis, they seem to be able to get good coverage on opposing receivers.

It seems the jet cbs get away with penalties every single play as they play tight coverage....Most of the time it goes unnoticed but their luck will run out one day.......................

Posted by: dolphin1423 ()
Date: October 23, 2012 12:13PM

Cromartie is actually playing extremely well this season. Better than he has ever played with Revis across from him.

Date: October 24, 2012 03:38AM

Did anyone see the Mark Schlereth segment on NFL Live where he was ripping on defensive players for celebrating after doing nothing.

Example: Kyle Wilson (Jets Ccool smiley was beaten badly by a WR. The ball was dropped so it was incomplete. Wilson then proceeded to shake his head up and down and point the "no, no no" finger like...you can't throw to my side!

It was hillarious. Mark called him out big time. he screamed..."You did nothing!" why are you celebrating. "you got beat!"

He showed Wilson doing the same thing on 3 or 4 plays. What a tool.

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: October 24, 2012 07:29PM

We certainly are in the playoff hunt. This is unexpected.

I'm still not expecting much from this team this year, but its nice, for once, to see the Dolphins season not over after six weeks. Kudos to the coaches.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Date: October 29, 2012 07:14AM

Date: April 01, 2013 03:11AM

Bills sign Kevin Kolb. Is anyone scared? lol

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: April 01, 2013 03:30AM

There were people on this board that wanted Kolb on the phins! How do you feel now about how this FO evaded another AJ Feeley type fiasco?

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: April 02, 2013 07:00AM

I truly see us in the playoff hunt this coming year. It will come down to thwe dolphins and Pats duking it out in the east...but the team to watch out for is Denver imo.

Date: April 02, 2013 07:19AM

Home games:

Buffalo, New England, N.Y. Jets, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina, San Diego

Away games:

Buffalo, New England, N.Y. Jets, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New Orleans,
Tampa Bay, Indianapolis

Looks like the toughest games will be Atlanta and the usual Pats games.

High powered passing attackes....Atlanta, SD, NO

Good passing teams....Ind & Bal

Doesn't look like a bad schedule. No Houston this year.

I am curious to see if Luck has a sophomore slump in a new offense without QB guru, Bruce Arians.

Also to see if Baltimore has a SB hangover....they lost several key players.

Schedule to be released April 16th. One day after Dolphins report.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 07:20AM by eesti.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 02, 2013 07:38AM

Home games:

Buffalo (Win)
New England (Win)
N.Y. Jets (Win)
Baltimore (Lose)
Cincinnati (Win)
Atlanta (Lose)
Carolina (Win)
San Diego (Lose)

Away Games

Buffalo (Win)
New England (Lose)
N.Y. Jets (Win)
Cleveland (Win)
Pittsburgh (Lose)
New Orleans (Lose)
Tampa Bay (Win)
Indianapolis (Lose)

That puts us at 9-7. These are just best guesses based on the limited info I've been able to track in the limited amount of free time I've had. Depending on how the rest of the AFC plays out, that may put us in a wild card position. If we were able to pull out an upset over say, Atlanta, or even double up against New England(doubtful) we could take the East. I think at that point that's unlikely.

I think we'll split the NE series, kill Buffalo, and step up and steal the away game from the Jets. Pitt and NO have always been tough for us, and I think unless we shore up our DB situation either with another DB FA signing or through a draft pick, we won't be able to outscore NO however much improved our offense is now with Wallace in the mix and another great possession receiver from St Louis. The Indy game I marked as a loss because I simply have a hunch we are going to go into that game asleep.

Either way this season marks a definite turning point in my views from a fan's standpoint. I come into this season, for the first time in forever, with a feeling that we have a chance in ANY game. With a future elite QB(argue that all you want, Tannehill is the real deal), and multiple FA signings that shore up positions of need in such a way that we now have the best deep threat in the game and one of the better TE's in the league along with one of the best blocking TE's as well and I think this offense can blow up the board. On defense with the pass rush in great shape, a LB squad that I would give a B grade at worst, and a DB squad that Ireland seems to be building to defend the NFL's changing dynamic of spread/pass, I think this team is playoff bound.

Sure there are holes and weak points that need to be addressed, as is always the case with every team in this league of FA. However, for the longest time it always seemed as if the list of holes the phins had to fill seemed way larger than the available market, draft, and our cap situation could possibly fill and we always came into the season with hopes that certain positions could be filled with sub par backups.

The dynamic has changed. This team is on the way up and I can say that without bias of it being my favorite.

Date: April 02, 2013 08:01AM

The Jets are floundering and the Bills have no QB. We could easily go 4-2 if not 5-1 in the division.

Wins over Carolina, Cleveland puts us at 7-1 with these remaining.....

Atlanta: 13-3, should be solid

Baltimore: 10-6 but lost Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Ellerbe, Boldin, Kruger

Pittsburgh: 8-8, Only 1 game better than us and we have their best non-QB weapon. They have no runnin game or OL. Lost pass rusher.

Cincy: 10-6, should be solid but we match up well and beat them last year. No RB.

New Orleans: 7-9, Could go either way. Lost starting LT.

SD: 7-9, Need lots of work. No RB, OL, WR's not as good without Jackson.

Indy: 11-5, New OC and offense for Luck, lost Arians. Could go either way.

TB: 7-9, QB questions never good.

I don't see a loss at SD. They travel accross the country. Not us.

I only see 2 teams clearly better than us out of that group.

10-6 at worst IMO.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: April 02, 2013 08:07AM

I forgot about the Ravens losing so many key players, including the heart of their team in Lewis and Reed. I'd say we may certainly win that. Atlanta I feel is a powerhouse. They are well rounded and are one of the teams I see going deep in the playoffs. My feelings on Pitt are simply from our history against them and going against a mobile QB. Them losing Wallace is a big hit though. I think that game is a toss up. Indy is just a hunch for me, nothing more. My San Diego loss is a feeling as well. I think they will heat up towards the end of the season. Either way I see us at 9-7 at worse and 11-5 at best.

Date: April 02, 2013 08:54AM

We were competitive with the playoff teams last year. Not to mention the ones we actually beat like Cincy & Seattle.

We had a rookie QB who had rookie mistakes but he wasn't the only problem.

We should be capable of beating anyone this year IMO.

As of right now (on paper) we have a glaring hole at right tackle and that's about it.

We have questions and could upgrade at RG, DE, CB.

I imagine 3 starters from the draft this year. Only 3 because the competition is greater this year compared to previous years.

If we can come out of the draft with a starting caliber DE, CB & OL then we are in the playoff hunt. Out of our numerous picks we need to find at least one ROY condidate. Hopefully at DE or CB...possibly TE (Eifert).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2013 08:55AM by eesti.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: April 02, 2013 02:46PM

dolfan1 Wrote:
> I truly see us in the playoff hunt this coming
> year. It will come down to thwe dolphins and Pats
> duking it out in the east...but the team to watch
> out for is Denver imo.

Well, we Finfans can only hope you are right. But the key word is HUNT. It will be a major uphill battle to get to the playoffs....too many good teams that are better than Miami.

Granted, Miami could surprise. However, depending on what Ireland does during the draft, will go a long way in determining what Miami does on the field this year.

On paper, it SEEMS as if we have the pieces to do some damage, but again, the game is played on the field, not on paper.

The Pats will once again win the division, but if Miami can finish just a couple of games behind them, then the Fins have a real shot at the playoffs.

Date: April 03, 2013 03:08AM

We have no long trips across the country this year (SF, SD, SEA, AZ, DEN). Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo are our furthest games.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.