HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Who do we sign, who do we let walk?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who do we sign, who do we let walk?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 04, 2009 11:43AM

Crowder, Goodman, Carey, and Bell are all UFAs. Who do we keep?

I say Bell will be resigned, guaranteed. He's a playmaker and our best DB.

Carey and Goodman if the price is right. Which it could be. Goodman will still be seen as a backup, and Carey is only a RG.

They will let Crowder walk, he's good, but not top flight, and his knees make the FO a bit nervous. Because he'd made some plays, he'll get a good offer, but our FO won't be willing to match it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who do we sign, who do we let walk?
Posted by: opus ()
Date: January 04, 2009 12:05PM

I agree with all of the above. I don't think anybody is waiting with baited breath for Crowder, but somebody will make an offer.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 04, 2009 12:06PM

All I know is if we don't have a speed pass rusher who can pressure the QB we will have issues next year. You can't expect Joey Porter to have another 17 sack season. Plus Porter the last month of teh season did nothing.

We need an OLB who can pass rush.

Date: January 04, 2009 12:08PM

Date: January 04, 2009 12:10PM

Posted by: ginnsucks ()
Date: January 04, 2009 02:20PM

I think it says something that they have not offered Crowder anything, and I doubt they will do much to keep him.

I agree on Bell coming back.

I am not smart enough to predict what they will do with the OL. I would like to see some upgrades there.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: January 04, 2009 02:34PM

if we had Smiley our o-line would have looked totally different. He is the key.

We need a new Center. That is very clear.

I think Crowder comes back. I don't see a big market for him and I think Miami likes what they see in him (hence look at the KC game when he didn't play)

Posted by: realist ()
Date: January 04, 2009 02:41PM

Crowder needs to be replaced as starting MLB. he never has been the answer. If you stick Ray Lewis in our Defense, Akin Odelle and Joey Porter suddenly become better. Joey got older & more attention paid to him but who took advantage of that? No-one.

Next season Langford, Merling, Soliai, and even Roth will be better. Ferguson is good for another season while Soliai fully develops under this new administration.

Crowder takes bad angles ( go back and watch the pass to Neal with about 4 minutes left). He doesn't get pressure on the QB, and he is rarely the guy dropping the RB for a loss.

Crowder can be replaced with a 3rd rounder....I hope they spend a 1st on LB.

Vernon Carey needs to be resigned. There aren't any FA's out there who won't cost more and can play as well. If we let him hit the market someone will be thinking Left Tackle and offer him more than we want to pay to match. So sign him up.

Yeremiah Bell? I like him a lot...but he isn't in the same league as Ed Reed, Troy Palamau, Brian Dawkins...I say offer him a very good deal and draft a FS...cause Renaldo Hill is invisible.

Goodman? He frustrates me. he can make a few great plays but he never makes a tackle. he might push someone out of bounds...but he is a PU$$Y when it comes to contact. He also get burned too often for my liking.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: January 04, 2009 03:03PM

Goodman was our best cover corner, just like he was in 2006. He'll be re-signed.

Bell will be expensive. The Herald had a story today that one personnel guy thought we may have to put our franchise tag on him if we want to keep him. He's a playmaker. He'd be even better if we had a better pass rush. I hope we can work something out.

Carey will re-sign. He'll get pretty decent money, but he's a solid player.

Renaldo Hill may be brought back. The coaches gave him a lot of credit for his leadership and communication skills. I expect we'll draft a more prototypical safety to push him.

I think Crowder is gone. He thinks he's worth a lot more money than his performance indicates. I think it was the Herald that ran the story today that Crowder called Miami's most recent offer to him "good for a special teams player." Crowder is a very good athlete who uses his athleticism to make up for a lack of instincts. If Crowder's asking price is too high, I think they'll let him walk and pursue someone like Karlos Dansby.

Date: January 04, 2009 03:35PM

Date: January 04, 2009 03:47PM

good points. I can live with moving Bell over. But we need to draft a genuine long term starter.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: January 04, 2009 04:01PM

MYRON ROLLE FS/SS ?

His NFL DRAFT status is still uncertain after being awarded the Rhodes Scholar oppertunities.

WILLIAM MOORE is real good too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2009 04:07PM by DaytonaDolfan13.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: January 04, 2009 04:06PM

PATRICK CHUNG...EMANUEL COOK SS

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 04, 2009 05:35PM

Free agent possibilities

Ricky is an FA, go after Derrick Ward, Brandon Jacobs, or even Darren Sproles

Houshmandzedeh or Devery Henderson, Lee Evans. Somehow get Boldin!

Asomugha & Dunta Robinson
Peppers, Haynesworth, Suggs, Bertrand Berry

Round 1

Cushing, Maualuga or Taylor Mays would be great, but likely won't be there unless possibly Cushing falls.

Possible picks:

Brian Cushing
James Laurenitus
William Moore
BJ Raji
Victor Harris
Alex Mack
Everett Brown
Max Unger

Round 2

We have the Skins pick in th 2nd from the JT trade

possible picks

Darry Beckwith
Clay Matthews
Larry English
Patrick Chung

OL Herman Johnson, Andy Levitre

3rd

Sleeper WR Ramses Barden?

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 04, 2009 05:40PM

We need a legitimate #1 WR threat.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: January 04, 2009 05:42PM

I would love to see Boldin with a fishy mammal on his helmet, however there are two problems:

1. He is not a FA this year.
2. He's a good bet to miss multiple games every year due to injury, which will limit how much anyone would offer in a trade.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: January 04, 2009 06:27PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We need a legitimate #1 WR threat.

Agreed!! I also agree with realist's assessment. We need serious help at ILB and WR. I think Ginn isn't worth the money he's making. Bess and Camarillo are reliable, but they won't get many opportunities if we keep Ginn AND pick up a legit #1 WR.

Posted by: grooves12 ()
Date: January 04, 2009 09:10PM

realist Wrote:

> Vernon Carey needs to be resigned. There aren't
> any FA's out there who won't cost more and can
> play as well. If we let him hit the market someone
> will be thinking Left Tackle and offer him more
> than we want to pay to match. So sign him up.

I agree... but I think him and his agent KNOW he will be able to command a LOT on the free agent market and will opt to test it, which likely means he will get an offer (with a team looking to play him at left tackle) that we can not afford to match.

So, I think we will need to look to the draft to get a replacement for him... perhaps the 2nd rounder we got from the Skins?

Posted by: bpa ()
Date: January 05, 2009 06:44AM

On the OL I am most concerned with center. If we bring back Carey, it would make an interesting competition between him Smiley and Satelle for the starting jobs for OG. I'm a little concerned with Smiley's durability. I do think we need an upgrade at RT as well. Carey would provide excellent depth, but I don't think he's the answer as a starter. Because he will want starter money of a RT, he may be too expensive for a player that might end up a back up.

On the DL, hopefully we get a good NT in the draft. I am REALLY concerned about the Soliai suspensions. I never heard what they are for, but losing two games is a problem. We might get more of a project for a DE in the later rounds. I think Merling and Langford will get stronger during the off season and be a point of noticeable improvement next year.

I could also see investing early picks in CB/FS.

Definately would look to the FA market for WR. The majority take 2-3 years and we probably don't have a high enough pick to get a candidate for year one production. Would love to see Bryant or Boldin in Aqua and Orange.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: January 05, 2009 07:11AM

Lets put some things in perspective...

Channing Crowder had only FOUR less tackles than Ray Lewis and had 7 more solo tackles and he played one less game and Ray plays in a 4-3 defense. He is more valuable than many of you realize. That being said, WE could benefit by moving him over to the other ILB spot and drafting a stud who has better instincts and big play ability.

Only two safeties in the entire league had more tackles than Yeremiah Bell and he still finished 13th in tackles for all positions.

I think Crowder will stay for less to be Miami as long as he gets a fair offer. If he gets a huge offer from another team then we have to let him go.

We can franchise Bell.

Ricky Williams signed an extension this year and is not a FA.

We have to resign Goodman.

Carey is a good but not great RT and may be offered to much to match. HE is from Miami so maybe he will stay as well just so he doesn't have to move. I thought he would be better this year but in hindsight...he wasn't.

No way in hell we trade for Boldin...just my opinion considering they will want draft picks.

We should get TJ Houshmanzadeh. Great character and team guy.

Darren Sproles would be a great change of pace back as we have three guys with similar abilities. he is a home run hitter. Ricky is under contract and doesn't make much money...we should try and trade him as he is getting old and won't be worth much after next year.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 05, 2009 08:16AM

I would make resigning all of our UFAs a priority. None deserve the franchise tag but all have earned a sigificant pay raise. Carey has been significant in the o-lines improving from 27 to 11 in rushing. He has started at LT RT and G and played well at each position. Who do we replace Crowder w/ the 2 best UFA ILB have very similiar numbers and are both over 30, Farrior and Barton. Bell has always been a low price high output contributor. The improvement should come other places via the draft replace Roth w/ a Brian Cushing. IMO that is the week chain on the lb corp. More productivity at that position will generate more from the others. Faster receivers will mean the qb can get rid of the ball faster Olinemen will not have to hold their blocks as long plus we get both Smiley and Thomas back next year.

Who I would let go Roth,QMoses, Wright, Soliar and Wilford (was leaning on keeping him for another yr).

Date: January 05, 2009 08:20AM

bpa Wrote:
> On the OL I am most concerned with center. If
> we bring back Carey, it would make an interesting
> competition between him Smiley and Satelle for the
> starting jobs for OG. I'm a little concerned
> with Smiley's durability. I do think we need an
> upgrade at RT as well. Carey would provide
> excellent depth, but I don't think he's the answer
> as a starter. Because he will want starter money
> of a RT, he may be too expensive for a player that
> might end up a back up.
>

Carey is DEFINITELY starter material at RT. He isn't the caliber of Long, but who in the league is? Also, Thomas will be coming back next year, and he'll very likely take one of the OG positions. I think we may see Satele stay at Center. This was his 2nd year, and he had to play next to some pretty sorry OGs when Thomas and Smiley got hurt. If we have Smiley AND Thomas, I think you'll see better play out of Satele.

Date: January 05, 2009 08:20AM

I think Solaia still has potential and is cheap and Smiley may never return to form...too many injuriy problems.

.....................................................................................

Date: January 05, 2009 08:24AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Who I would let go Roth,QMoses, Wright, Soliar and
> Wilford (was leaning on keeping him for another
> yr).

Soliai came on late in the year. Is he a FA? I think we hang on to him.

I agree with the rest.

Date: January 05, 2009 08:26AM

Solaia still has two years left on his rookie 6th round deal.

Posted by: Dagonet ()
Date: January 06, 2009 08:21AM

<<The improvement should come other places via the draft replace Roth w/ a Brian Cushing. IMO that is the week chain on the lb corp. More productivity at that position will generate more from the others.>>

I thought Roth had a solid season and was much improved in his new role. He played with fierceness but also was disciplined in his role. There were plenty of times where he held the edge to force a run inside, or where he was the player who didn't get fooled on some misdirection and made a key play.

I think Crowder makes a lot of mistakes, but he's not the worst we could do. I'm concerned with Porter's virtual disappearance in the last 5 games as well as his one-dimensional talent. I think our weakest point in the linebackers, though, is Ayodele. I can't think of a play where I thought "Wow, he just blew that play up!" He did well against Jackson and the Rams, but when he filled in for Crowder against the Chiefs he was subpar, and he missed far too many tackles this season. When a play gets past him, he doesn't have the speed to catch it from behind.

Date: January 06, 2009 12:04PM

We have a bunch of hard working guys with big hearts who overachieved but we could stand to upgrade at just about every position on defense except maybe Bell and Goodman.

Langford: A lot will depend on how he progresses next year. he was a steal in the 3rd round but he is not in the class of the elite like Aaron Smith or Richard Seymour....yet...still could be...maybe

Holiday and Merling: Hopefully merling claims the starting spot next year and dominates but that is yet to happen...could happen

NT: same as DE....good but not in the class of Wilfork or Casey Hampton.

ROLB: Porter...a one trick pony...good pass rusher not so good in the running game.

RILB: Crowder...very active but not a huge playmaker
LILB: Ayodele...wmore of a backup
LOLB: Roth...new to the position..could use the off season to settle in...time will tell

Allen...good tackler..gives up too many big plays
Hill...smart, leader, minimal physical skills...injury risk

These guys could come back and still be a top 15 defense but to make the top 5 we need two or three more consistent playmekers.

Biggest difference will come from an LOLB who can pass rush and NT who can dominate and LILB who is more of a playmaker in run support and turnovers.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: January 06, 2009 02:18PM

We need a legitimate Safety.

We need an Ed Reed, Troy Paluamalu, Brian Dawking or Bob Sanders.

Bell is good, but we need a big time Safety like one of those guys beside him. If we did I think it would push our defense into the top 10 just with one of those.

Date: January 06, 2009 03:06PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> We need a legitimate Safety.
>
> We need an Ed Reed, Troy Paluamalu, Brian Dawking
> or Bob Sanders.
>
> Bell is good, but we need a big time Safety like
> one of those guys beside him. If we did I think it
> would push our defense into the top 10 just with
> one of those.

One guy..at Safety? Top 10? Not likely. We need an ILB bad. ZT used to be the QB of our defense. We need another guy like THAT. We've had our share of good ILBs: Buoniconti, Duhe, Offerdahl, Thomas...we need the next great Dolphin ILB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 03:06PM by montequi.

Date: January 06, 2009 03:53PM

Letting Carey go and drafting a replacement sets us back a couple years.

Unless there is a young guy on our roster they feel is ready to take over, it will take at least one season to learn and gel.

I think if they make him a decent offer he will forgoe the FA market to stay in a program that is headed in the right direction. There is the possibility of using the Franchise tag on him. Paying the average of the highest paid RT's would be cheaper than matching a FA LT offer.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.