HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Why are so many people trying to
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Why are so many people trying to
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 05, 2012 11:44AM

defend the lame-brain decision to have Tannehill passing in regulation of the Arizona game with only 2:57 seconds left when we had just made a 1st and 10 at the Arizona 39 yard line sitting on a 7 point lead.

Everyone,except for dolphin and I, wants to either shrug their shoulders or blame Tannehill.

That's kool aid drinking and Philbin and Sherman are the Jim Joneses.

We can't afford to THROW AWAY games.

unless you just want us to have higher draft choices in April.

I wonder how many of you would be taking that position IF THIS HAD BEEN THE SUPERBOWL AND THAT FUMBLE WOULD HAVE COST US THE SUPERBOWL.

Would you guys still say "woulda, coulda, shoulda?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why are so many people trying to
Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 05, 2012 11:47AM

But it wasn't the SuperBowl. Why make a mountain out of a a mole hill?

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: October 05, 2012 11:51AM

LOL. That's certainly one way to look at it.

only problem is that losing games keeps you out of the playoffs which keeps you out of the SuperBowl.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: October 05, 2012 12:08PM

I was pretty miffed too until I realized what RT and Hartline accomplished...nevermind the loss....and

After 2 weeks NE is 2-2. The Jets are going down hill FAST and the Bills are the same old Bills. They also have a tough schedule.

We are only one game back of first place opposed to previous years when we were 3 or 4 games back.

NE plays Denver.
Jets play Houston
Bills play 49ers

All great potential for losses.

That's good stuff right there.

A loss by them (all 2-2) and a win over Cincy puts us all at 2-3.

We are getting better. The Bills and Jets are going the other way and NE is fallible after all.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: October 05, 2012 12:24PM

Henry, you are arguing a point 5 full days after the fact with the full benefit of 20-20 hindsight. The coaches and players are making decisions at game speed with a million other things things racing through their minds. Mistakes will be made and hopefully they will learn from them.

Date: October 05, 2012 12:31PM

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: October 05, 2012 01:11PM

Chyren, I hear you that the offense could have gone into power formation, kill the clock. But our running game wasnt very successful that day, with Reggie Bush hurting and Arizona stacking the box. Sometimes trying to kill the clock by running the ball when they know you are running, is a an easy way to go 3 and out. When a first down or extending the drive can win you the game as well.. I like the idea of continuing to attack rather then trying to not to lose. That is what I didnt like about Sparano, we seemed to try hard not to lose rather then trying to win... I like the philosophy of trying to win the game by continuing to attack where you had the most success in the game... On hindsight, maybe it was a mistake, but I am still not convinced the turnover wouldnt have happened with the play the defense made busting through the A gap.. It was a disruptive play the defense made, that would have been disruptive whether run or pass play was called...

-----------------------------------------------------------------
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2012 01:12PM by Crowder52.

Date: October 05, 2012 01:21PM

Date: October 05, 2012 01:28PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
3 runs
> and a punt and the game would have been over and
> we would have won, end of story, that's where your
> comments fall short.

I need to go back and watch that series, if 3 runs and a punt would have killed the clock, then I agree with you.. but I am still not convinced the a gap play wouldnt have been detrimental... the defensive player made a hell of a play with the game on the line.

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2012 01:30PM by Crowder52.

Date: October 05, 2012 01:55PM

Go back and watch. I can't remember if they had used one of their timeouts by the time of that play or not but I think they had to use one because as I remember we had made a long run or pass to get to that point where we were 1st and 10 at the 39 yard line with 2:57 seconds left on the clock.

But they would have had the 2 minute warning plus two timeouts and could not have had more than 30 seconds left had we just taken 3 knees. Of course, there would have been time for a blocked punt or Hail Mary but.....

Date: October 05, 2012 02:12PM

Date: October 05, 2012 02:52PM

That drive started with 5:15 on the clock on our own 35. we ran the ball to Reggie for 7 on first down. On 2nd and 3, Reggie broke it for 15 yards. 1st and ten with the ball snapped at 3:45 as you said Reggie gets stopped for a gain of only 2. 2nd and 8 on Arizona's 41 with the ball snapeed at the 3 minute mark. We had Reggie Bush and Javorskie Lane lined up in the back field. THe Oline blocked perfectly, the linebacker blitzed the A gap. and Javorskie Lane was assigned the LB, he went to the inside of Tannehill to pick up the block the LB went to the outside and Javorskie tried to block but was late getting there. Reggie Bush stood directly behind Tannehill in disbelief and didnt do anything.. That play had nothing to do with the offensive line as people stated. It was a great blitz spot for the defense, no way to be picked up.. We should have continued to run the ball I agree.. Although they had to 2 guys in the backfield including a FB, the defensive player made the perfect play or and Javorskie was bit late and could take some blame... Kudos to them and their dcordinator.. I agree we should have ran the ball and we probably would have won... The announcers were all but giving us the game at that point...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2012 02:56PM by Crowder52.

Date: October 05, 2012 04:06PM

Crowder, I cannot get the NFL.com "watch highlight" to work. All it plays is the plays they have picked out as being the best. When you go to "Analyze" and then go to "play by play," there is a "watch highlight" having to do with certain plays in the game and that sack and fumble has a "watch highlight" posted as to it but when I click on "watch highlight" of that play, nothing happens.

You are right, though, it was 2nd and 8 and the 1st and 10 started at 3:45 and the 2nd and 8 play which was the sack and the fumble went off at 3:00. It was not 1st and 10 as I thought it was. So there was one less play left before we had to punt and therefore one less play to use to run out the clock with than I thought.

First, with respect to the play, I'll have to take your word for it that Reggie was in the backfield since I didn't tape the game but your word does not square with my memory. My memory was that Tannehill took the snap from center and went straight back. My memory was that the running backs went out on the ends into a pattern and then the Center completely blew the block and the defender was on Tannehill before he had a chance to even raise the ball and he was sacked and fumbled and there was no one in the backfield except the sacker and Tannehill.

Maybe you are someone can forward a link on that highlight or tell me why my "watch highlight" function from nfl.com is not working or what I am doing wrong. Since the bastards want to make a penny off every darn thing, I would be surprised if it's the case that you have to subscribe and pay to have those "watch highlights" functions operate.

Date: October 05, 2012 04:41PM

Date: October 05, 2012 05:13PM

You're right.

Still, should not have been passing in the first place.

Date: October 05, 2012 11:59PM

Dude let it go already. Its getting a little weird. confused smiley

Posted by: Fin fan24 ()
Date: October 06, 2012 02:07AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Dude let it go already. Its getting a little
> weird. confused smiley

This

Posted by: Fin fan24 ()
Date: October 06, 2012 02:07AM

> Dude let it go already. Its getting a little
> weird. confused smiley

This.

Date: October 06, 2012 02:36AM

You can say that again

Date: October 06, 2012 04:09AM

Chyren is right, the coaches blew it.. I am glad he didn't let it go and made me go back and look at it.. The pass play wasn't a good idea and Javorskie blew it.. I enjoyed discussing it with Chyren.. Isn't that alright? If you don't want to talk about it don't.. But don't tell someone else they shouldn't talk about it.. No big deal, that is what we do discuss dolphins football.. Cheers

Nietzsche

Date: October 06, 2012 06:49AM

We've all watched games where coaches made mistakes, where officials blew a call, where QBs missed a wide open receiver and we sat there with a cold beer in hand watching and discussed it for days afterwards.
None of us is quite ready to dump a rookie head coach, or OC, or QB for making a questionable call or read. Ultimately, we don't really know who made the call or really if there would have been a more favorable outcome IF things had been run differently. What's done is done, mistakes will continue to be made, hopefully not repeated.
Beat the Bengals and all this will be forgotten and we can go on to the next controversy.

Date: October 06, 2012 08:40AM

I am not ready to dump anybody either, I like what they are trying to do, but looking back on that play, it was critical and what lead us down that road to a loss.. I think it was lack of execution more then the call.. If the players executed the play properly, mainly Javroskie Lane, the linebacker would have been blocked... If anyone critical fails to execute on any play, bad things can happen...
When the ball went loose, it was on the ground for longer then I thought, Bush and the others back there kind of blew it by not jumping on the ball first. Javorskie, Bush and Tannehill all had a shot at the ball when it was on the ground. Critcal play, easy to say now, we should have run it again, but I agree who knows... As a team we cant fail to execute at such a critical point in the game. Up by 7 around midfield with 3 minutes left, is not a time to lose focus...

Nietzsche

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2012 08:42AM by Crowder52.

Date: October 06, 2012 09:26AM

Discuss it by all means. I just think it was getting to the point of weirdness when its not contained in one thread and I keep seeing more and more statements then discussion is all. Sorry I pissed in the punch Bowl.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 06, 2012 09:30AM

> Discuss it by all means. I just think it was
> getting to the point of weirdness when its not
> contained in one thread and I keep seeing more and
> more statements then discussion is all. Sorry I
> pissed in the punch Bowl.

Agreed, it's kinda like when some guy on here kept complaining about not drafting R Malletspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 06, 2012 09:54AM

Just wanted a frigging QB. We would never have enjoyed any success until we did. I am quite happy these days. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 06, 2012 09:58AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Discuss it by all means. I just think it was
> > getting to the point of weirdness when its not
> > contained in one thread and I keep seeing more
> and
> > more statements then discussion is all. Sorry I
> > pissed in the punch Bowl.
>
>
> Agreed, it's kinda like when some guy on here kept
> complaining about not drafting R Malletspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

LOL. And drafting Danny Thomas INSTEAD! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2012 10:03AM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 06, 2012 10:03AM

> Just wanted a frigging QB. We would never have
> enjoyed any success until we did. I am quite happy
> these days. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I hear ya, i'm just bustin your chops having some funsmileys with beer

Date: October 06, 2012 10:47AM

Posted by: DolfanKing ()
Date: October 06, 2012 11:03AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Go back and watch. I can't remember if they had
> used one of their timeouts by the time of that
> play or not but I think they had to use one
> because as I remember we had made a long run or
> pass to get to that point where we were 1st and 10
> at the 39 yard line with 2:57 seconds left on the
> clock.
>
> But they would have had the 2 minute warning plus
> two timeouts and could not have had more than 30
> seconds left had we just taken 3 knees. Of
> course, there would have been time for a blocked
> punt or Hail Mary but.....

With 2 TOs and a the two minute warning would have left them with well over a minute.

The problem is that RT can't make passes when it matters, and then turns the ball over way too much.

------------------------------------------------------------

Miami Dolphins. Always Perfect.

Date: October 06, 2012 11:39AM

It's so unlike you to say that DolfanKing.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.